Sign in to follow this  
SCG_DocHolliday

CEM guide for Soviet Aircraft

Can anyone tell me if the IL-2 (BOS BOM BOK) Quick Guide V2.50 is still pretty accurate, or have patches/updates changed it? I'm loving flying the IL2, PE2, JU88 and Bf-110, but the Soviet craft seem fairly daunting with mixture, prop rpms, etc; 

The older guides will not include details for the newer Soviet planes released afterwards, but should still be OK for the older ones such as Yak 1. If there have been any CEM changes they are pretty minor.   There is a more up to date version (2.80) here.

Try the Yak 1 as a start for getting used to the CEM. Actually it is fairly easy as the Soviet design philosophy was to make the planes as idiot proof as they could, so although it is possible to break them it is actually much easier to break a 109's engine.  The key thing is to keep the temperatures in the limits.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:55 AM, Higaluto said:

For easy operation i bind oil and water radiator to same key(open to 100% first then close, so they close at same rate). And throttle and rpm to same joystick lever. 

Heck of an idea! Going to try that now. Thank you. 

14 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Heck of an idea! Going to try that now. Thank you. 

WOW...all I can say is, you, Higaluto, are a GENIUS!! Such a simple idea but it's brilliant, thank you very much for sharing!!

You can typically have the oil radiator close farther than the water radiator so binding them to the same control will only increase drag.  It is best to have separate controls for rpm and throttle too.

18 hours ago, Higaluto said:

you also gain up to 5kph under 1000meter altitude in the yak if you have 90%rpm and 100% throttle. put those two togheter and you could win a ground level chase faster against a 109.

You've done something seriously wrong if you're counting on a mere 5 km/h to get you out of a bind. 

bordering cheating.. but even in realistic difficulty, the game will pop up an alert when oil/ water is getting too hot

On 9/13/2018 at 10:52 AM, Jorge_S said:

bordering cheating.. but even in realistic difficulty, the game will pop up an alert when oil/ water is getting too hot

Uh, thats not cheating - that's the point of having on-screen help.