-[HRAF]BubiHUN

KOTA GPS

GPS on KOTA  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want GPS switched off on KOTA?

• Yes, I want realism
    • No, I dont want to look for the terrain all the time.
    • I want GPS to be switched off on every Saturday.

We decided to make a poll about this subject. 
Please, feel free to write your opninion.

See you around. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For me it is very good that you're doing this poll as I think like this. If GPS off will attract more players? Then turn it off. If it reduces the amount of players then keep it on. I personally like it off but I also like a full server.

• Upvote 8

Some maps are much easier to navigate, like Kuban which has many landmarks and unique places. For them turning "GPS" off shouldn't result in too much confusion, I think...

On the other hand winter maps are much harder without the "GPS".

i would love to see the Server without GPS, but in the end it's your server and you should run it as you see fit

• Upvote 6

Coco and Finnish are GPS off and empty. WoL is GPS on and totally full. We already have Coco and Finnish if we want to fly on empty servers without GPS imo, no need to make a third.

Edit: It is impossible to overstate how helpful GPS is to me when I bring new players into IL-2 MP. It's easy for them to get lost, and nobody wants to be "that guy" that is causing the rest of the squadron to sit around while they try to catch up. It's a horrible feeling and most of the time they just log off. Let's promote a mix of newbies and veterans and not make KOTA somewhere for only the most self-absorbed virtual aces to smugly zip around a map they know after years of playing while the newbies can't even see their own airfield.

Edited by Talon_
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 10

38 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

... If GPS off will attract more players? Then turn it off....

May be it's not a race between servers for get some % more players as others? Ok, if off gps makes down 50% of us between those gone and those coming... But I can't bielive a so great loss number of pilots by a so logical immersive option.

Voted

Edited by Otto_bann

If you don't like it, don't use it!  On Kuban, about the only time I use it is to tell late coming squadies where we are at the moment.  On winter flat land maps I'd probably leave with out it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Coco and Finnish are GPS off and empty...

It's not the reason. Coco and Finnish have silly rules and conditions for fly whose make go aways a great number of pilots (limitation of planes, reservations, etc...). Also it divides the squadrons, swarm or pair when one of them can not fly anymore .

I'm gone from them like many for this, not by gps off

• Upvote 2

Is it possible to have a partial GPS? - I mean around some AFs and selected routes/targets so everyone could be able to choose how difficult it will be.

Edited by Ehret

8 minutes ago, Otto_bann said:

It's not the reason. Coco and Finnish have silly rules and conditions for fly whose make go aways a great number of pilots (limitation of planes, reservations, etc...). Also it divides the squadrons, swarm or pair when one of them can not fly anymore .

I'm gone from them like many for this, not by gps off

True. To be fair TAW is popular with GPS off too.

• Upvote 1

Voted against.

Is it possible to set GPS on only for Peshka, Boston + Ju 88 and HE 111 to simulate navigator´s work in the plane crew?

2 minutes ago, Ropalcz said:

Voted against.

Is it possible to set GPS on only for Peshka, Boston + Ju 88 and HE 111 to simulate navigator´s work in the plane crew?

No, but you can place a Radio Beacon on the airfield, and then use your radio compass to find the heading to the closest airfield with an active beacon. 

3 minutes ago, [I./JG62]Knipser said:

No, but you can place a Radio Beacon on the airfield, and then use your radio compass to find the heading to the closest airfield with an active beacon. 

Radio beacon should be functional and activated meanwhile on KOTA. @-[HRAF]BubiHUN please correct me if I´m wrong.

Edited by -[HRAF]Grunf
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, [I./JG62]Knipser said:

Know that, but that doesn´t help you much.

I think GPS should stay on. I'm a newer player to IL-2, and I'm still learning how to effectively fly my aircraft. If I have to watch all my gauges and keep a constant eye on my map while also keeping an eye out for enemies, it'll be too much for me. I consider GPS to be my "pilots memory". I am just plopped into the middle of a battlefield that I've never been to before, but my pilot character know she the nearby area and should have a basic idea of where he is. However, if it wasn't made so that GPS updated after 15 seconds of looking at the map I think that could be a fair compromise as the pilot would "get his bearings.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, -[HRAF]Grunf said:

Radio beacon should be functional and activated meanwhile on KOTA. @-[HRAF]BubiHUN please correct me if I´m wrong.

That is true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

Edit: It is impossible to overstate how helpful GPS is to me when I bring new players into IL-2 MP. It's easy for them to get lost

Newbies have to get formation and learn navigation first. A dogfight server is not a school but a combat zone for already trained pilots (like in real war).

Come on ... It's not so tricky to navigate without. They will learn quickly if they have to do it

Edited by Otto_bann
  • Sad 1

Turning off GPS would be a shame. This is an excellent server for the most part and I have said so before. Whilst I can and do often fly with no GPS I see no reason at all beyond the harder-core of simmers wanting it off for that to happen. I guess it depends on who you want to use your servers at the end of the day. leaving GPS on will attract a much wider selection of people than you would get by turning it off.

This never is or was about how difficult or easy it is to navigate.

Edited by TP_Silk
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Otto_bann said:

Newbies have to get formation and learn navigation first. A dogfight server is not a school but a combat zone for already trained pilots (like in real war).

Come on ... It's not so tricky to navigate without. They will learn quickly if they have to do it

I was newbie once but flew on Finnish back then, didn't have any training in navigation but managed to get it right.

Once i joined squadron yes one of the first lessons were navigation, every good squad have and demands it from their pilots.

• Upvote 1

The server is already full at peak time. Why change that? There's no benefit to attracting additional GPS-Off-ONLY players and clearly people are fine with the current setup or it wouldn't be as hard to get in at peak as it already is.

Leaving it on gives you the choice of using it or not.

Edited by Talon_
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Asgar said:

i would love to see the Server without GPS, but in the end it's your server and you should run it as you see fit

100% agree. Server admins this is your trainset, thanks for making it and letting us play on it ;)

Numbers, guys, numbers! That's the only truth! As much as you all like to share your personal opinions, thoughts and fears about this topic, the poll already shows a clear tendency! But in the end it's not our decision to make. I'm curious how it will turn out in the end and what the server admins choice will be.

Edited by [I./JG62]Knipser

Just now, [I./JG62]Knipser said:

Numbers, guys, numbers! That's the only truth! As much as you all like to share your personal opinions, thoughts and fears about this topic, the poll already shows a clear tendency! But in the end it's not our decision to make. I'm curious how it will turn out in the end and what the servers admins choice will be.

These numbers only matter if the player count is raised, because the server is already hitting capacity at the same time as WoL is hitting capacity (IL-2 peak time).

3 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

- Why change that?

- There's no benefit to attracting additional GPS-Off-ONLY players

- and clearly people are fine with the current setup or it wouldn't be as hard to get in at peak as it already is.

Leaving it on gives you the choice of using it or not. 

- for more realism and immersivity

- the goal is no to get more GPS-Off-ONLY players but more realism and immersivity (again)

- actually, guys come on this server because it is less far from what they want, not because it is perfect.

- No choice possible like you say it. Let it on and shut off in your own plane, it's a deadly gift for opponents (it's not because we want a gps out, that is the same thing to us to fly with and without. It's less easier for us too).

Just now, Otto_bann said:

- for more realism and immersivity

- the goal is no to get more GPS-Off-ONLY players but more realism and immersivity (again)

- actually, guys come on this server because it is less far from what they want, not because it is perfect.

- No choice possible like you say it. Let it on and shut off in your own plane, it's a deadly gift for opponents (it's not because we want a gps out, that is the same thing to us to fly with and without. It's less easier for us too).

The goal is to keep a high server population so people want to play here. The current setup satisfies the largest number of people from the widest variety of skillsets.

Right now the voting is 59% OFF 41% ON which is not a big enough difference to account for the silent majority who just fly on the busiest servers and don't even know the forums exist IMO.

If you turn the GPS off (and poll numbers show that its going to happen), change also cloud thickness and alt, maybe even AA.

With current AA setting, you will be shredded in a moment by flak while very immersively trying to find the target under the clouds that are at 3K....

Edit: Remember - hardest or most difficult is not always realistic.

Edited by Ropalcz

1 minute ago, Ropalcz said:

(and poll numbers show that its going to happen)

Take the figures with a grain of salt right now, there's only 10 votes in it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

These numbers only matter if the player count is raised, because the server is already hitting capacity at the same time as WoL is hitting capacity (IL-2 peak time). 

Monday evenning I waiting 3/4 of one hour for enter in the server (8.30 pm french time), the server was 83/83... Yesterday I don't know, I came earlier.

Edited by Otto_bann
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Otto_bann said:

Monday evenning I waiting 3/4 of one hour for enter in the server (8.30 pm french time), the server was 83/83...

Exactly - we don't need to worry about attracting more players who currently fly GPS-off only. It will only make it harder for the existing players to get in.

• Upvote 1

Everything is working as it should.

There is no reason to change anything...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Anyway if the ''off side'' wins, that will be a try with gps off and the administrator will waiting and seing what's going on I suppose. If the businness go to bad, gps will can be back to the on side quicky isn't it...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Otto_bann said:

Anyway if the ''off side'' wins, that will be a try with gps off and the administrator will waiting and seing what's going on I suppose. If the businness go to bad, gps will can be back to the on side quicky isn't it...

Momentum is a powerful thing. This same situation happened to all of the 20 servers that are online every night with 0 players - they were once popular but the admin made a decision that reversed their growth into contraction and low player numbers cause other players to not join. This feedback loop causes permanent community death.

Edited by Talon_

7 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Momentum is a powerful thing. This same situation happened to all of the 20 servers that are online every night with 0 players - they were once popular but the admin made a decision that reversed their growth into contraction and low player numbers cause other players to not join. This feedback loop causes permanent community death.

Now you're talking nonsense!

We heard your opinion first time, by now you could learn navigate without gps.....at least in last 2 years!

Also go check all servers with 0 players and see what kind of missions does it have.

It's not gps thing!

Stop being drama queen crying and let ppl vote!

Edited by EAF_Ribbon
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Exactly - we don't need to worry about attracting more players who currently fly GPS-off only. It will only make it harder for the existing players to get in.

You don't have read my response before my post. It's not a question for get more pilots but for more immersivity and realism like I said upper

Just now, EAF_Ribbon said:

Now you're talking nonsense!

We heard your opinion first time, by now you could learn navigate without gps.....at least in last 2 years!

I can navigate without GPS. It's the new pilots I bring into the game that need the GPS to help them. Nobody wants to be the newbie holding back all the longtime players from getting on with having fun. It's not fun to be lost when all of your squad is trying to put in work.

• Upvote 1