Sign in to follow this  
BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 51

Hello everyone.

It's +28 C and a light midday rain on the Caribbean isles. Meanwhile, the IL2:BOS dev team keeps digging into the program code here in freezing and windy Moscow. Another week of development has passed and I'm going to tell you how it was.

First of all, about the upcoming early access session: it's an extremely rare occasion when you won't see anything specific, but you will feel it in a new way for sure. It is related both to our game and to any other existing flight sim about the WWII era. The reason is that our in-game physics has reached a brand new level in regards of aircraft systems modeling. From now on our internal combustion engine model takes into consideration the state of atmosphere. For example: its winter outdoors, the air is cold which allows an engine to perform with more power. The system is universal and homogeneous so it can be implemented in other theatres of war if we choose to make those. So, keep in mind that you should know the weather forecast before going on a mission. Here in Stalingrad it is -15C, so the engines have their power increased some. Should it influence your perception of well-known planes? Well, you'll see it soon.

In other news, the closed test participants are passionately working on future improvements in the multiplayer mode. We plan to have a new live stream soon maybe next week. Albert and I and a group of testers will show you some online battles and tell you what's going on and how to use the new features.

Read more

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

I know that planes perform better at higher alt...but never heard that on freezin cold theyve performed better than in summer months...??

Edited by tikvic

I know that planes perform better at higher alt...but never heard that on freezin cold theyve performed better than in summer months...??

freezing cold is part of the reason they perform better at high alt.

I thought it was due to the density of the air, more dense in cold weather. I believe helicopters don't perform well in hot climes. But what do I know :wacko:

• Upvote 1

I thought it was due to the density of the air, more dense in cold weather. I believe helicopters don't perform well in hot climes. But what do I know :wacko:

Exactly. This is why I asked why the freezin cold is helping an engine to perform better...at higher alt the main reason was air density...at higher alt air is thinner...

Edited by tikvic

I know we all feel that these misteries are somewhat romantic, but could we also get an ugly changelog, from time to time?  :happy: 

• Upvote 1

Another disappointing week. Not enough content for me to play EA until something substantial arrives.

Keep up the good work devs. I'm loving everything so far but there just isn't enough to do in EA.

Ok It seams that temp indeed has a great impact on density at alt but its not the only factor:

LINK

Edited by tikvic

slightly more complex, temperature is a big player in determining air density, hot air is less dense.

• Upvote 1

maybe the cold lets you bring the plane to the limit for longer time since overheating is contained?

I have no idea, not an expert.

cold air intake helps.. google it: it also effect your car engine in the same way uses gas more effectively also. Better gas mileage. better RPMS heat kills, cold preserves..

hmmm.... and ... how do I know the engine temperature in Bf when the thermometer is not working?

It doesn't matter, 109's are cooled by superheated Lava, the temperature gauge is only there to show you how awesome it is because Chuck Norris built the engine

• Upvote 6

1) Higher air temperature means less density. That means you need more air to get the same volume of oxygen. But because the engine works with the same volume of air, it gains less oxygen from and consequently gives less output.

2) Higher temperature means the air takes bigger volume. Since the difference between the low and up position of piston is one of the things limited the engine output you need to get the air as much dense as it's possible. In other words maximum amount of air with minimum volume. That means low temperature is your best friend.

Back to the news. Since we don't have any chance how to compare the environmental influence this update is more like placebo. It's more about believe than anything else.

But anyway good job and trust me I'll enjoy any minutes I'll be flying  :)

Back to the news. Since we don't have any chance how to compare the environmental influence this update is more like placebo. It's more about believe than anything else.

Some players have posted in-game test data (and someone also made a BoS-compare program) that can be compared with tests from today's version. (with all the usual caveats about test methodology.)

• Upvote 1

From il2 fb page:

"- engine performance at low temperatures
- newly added spotters
- testing Messerschmitt full engine control"

So there will be CEM on 109 with this update?

1) Higher air temperature means less density. That means you need more air to get the same volume of oxygen. But because the engine works with the same volume of air, it gains less oxygen from and consequently gives less output.

2) Higher temperature means the air takes bigger volume. Since the difference between the low and up position of piston is one of the things limited the engine output you need to get the air as much dense as it's possible. In other words maximum amount of air with minimum volume. That means low temperature is your best friend.

But anyway good job and trust me I'll enjoy any minutes I'll be flying  :)

+1 Yep, dense air, more oxygen.   Really looking forward to MP I have to say. I'm used to flying with my Squad members as we do in CLoD and RoF.  It's going to be big!

Can we once again deactivate post-effects to get 3D vision working again or is it still (unecessarily) blocked ?.

Cheers

Lfox

• Upvote 1

- testing Messerschmitt full engine control"

So there will be CEM on 109 with this update?

The keyword is Testing. We've made it and now the programmers are lering bots to know new features of the DB engine.

Maybe little off topic but - will be used new in-game physic model for RoF too?

Edited by II./JG1_Baron

The atmospheric impacts are good news. Are we getting missions where air temps are different now?

Everything looks great. I would rather wait for the IL-2, etc than have the developers rush through things and compromise the end result. Keep up the excellent work and take as long as you need

Looks good, remember to check out the features which have been added and leave feedback on them. Looking forward to seeing how the engines now perform, as well as the spotters and to see how Stalingrad is progressing, amongst the rest :).

• Upvote 1

S!

Got time to test some this weekend. Also need to translate some documents ;) Thanks for the news devs, have a nice weekend!

I think it is beautiful news to have a more realistic engine modelling. Thanks a lot! Looking at what you changed on the Stalingrad map will also be fun! Didn't expect me to check BoS this weekend, but with these news I'll certainly do.

Would it be possible to share more complete atmospheric data for the Stalingrad map so that testing the new engine model makes a bit more sense? Pressure, humidity, density, preferably not just sea level figures, but also for altitude - then we could check if things do what they are supposed to do, instead of just flying around "I think it's different". Does the Lapino map have a different set of properties?

All looking good from here.

Regarding comments on cooler temperature. One of the limiting factors for power production is detonation. This occurs when the temperature of the fuel/air mix heated by compression (supercharger and then by the piston) reaches a point where the mixture spontaneously ignites. Cooler air entering the system means more power can be produced before the fuel/air mix reaches that temp.

Cheers  and thanks for the update!

For true flight simmers this was a very good update. More realistic modelling is what makes or breaks a good sim. Thanks to the team!

• Upvote 1