NETSCAPE

German railway progression during BOS?

I aware of the difference in rail line gauges between the Soviet Union and the 3rd Reich. I can't seem to get a definitive or even ball park estimate on how far the Germans advanced their rail lines during the battle of Stalingrad. Thinking logistically here.. for sure it extended to Tatsinskaya, perhaps even Oblivskaya. I'm mulling over the idea of creating a historical/hardcore MP server and I'm trying to come up with where to have some targets for the VVS, like rail station/supplies/troops ect... and I started scratching my head about how far the German rail lines actually extended eastward. For reference the time frame for this scenario would be mid/late august - the drive across the Don. Thanks for any help.

Rail lines were opened quite aggressively (within a few tens of kilometres of the city, e.g. to the Don at Kalach). Fragmented networks, destroyed bridges, and intermittent connections severely limited capacity, however.

I'd say that a good rule of thumb could be based on the movement of the front. I'd expect to see railways opening several weeks behind the advancing forces.

Indeed, it looks like there are at least 6 rail bridges on the map (from farthest west to frontline). So 4 or maybe 5 of those could be potential targets for the Soviets. And in theory patrolling the rail line would mark trains or troop/supply concentration... I think this will build up to be a fun offensive patrol.