Sign in to follow this  
StG77_HvB

Guy with no flight training steals and flies Bombadier Q400 Turboprop

"He described the flight as a "blast" and said he didn't need much help as he'd "played some video games before", but added he "wasn't really planning on landing" the aircraft. "

Maybe he was an IL-2 player..... WoL fan, possibly....

https://news.sky.com/story/stolen-seattle-plane-black-box-and-human-remains-found-after-richard-russell-crashed-aircraft-11471549

Posted (edited)

And someone's family member and friend. He didn't hurt anyone but himself thankfully. I can only feel sadness he felt this was his "out" from this life.

Edited by Rjel
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I can only feel sadness he felt this was his "out" from this life.

Agreed, but as someone who’s also been suicidal, I think it’s somewhat good that he went out doing something he loved.

Edited by PB_Cybermat47

3 hours ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

I think it’s somewhat good that he went out doing something he loved.

Steals a plane, completely disregards his family like a joke, I fail to see how any of this can be somewhat good. 

3 hours ago, StG77_HvB said:

"He described the flight as a "blast" and said he didn't need much help as he'd "played some video games before", but added he "wasn't really planning on landing" the aircraft. "

Maybe he was an IL-2 player..... WoL fan, possibly....

https://news.sky.com/story/stolen-seattle-plane-black-box-and-human-remains-found-after-richard-russell-crashed-aircraft-11471549

Perhaps, however if he was a wol player I would have expected the conversation to be more like.." I have been flying pro flightsims for a decade and better by far than any real pilot you armchair air traffic f****t. Come up here and I'll kick yo a**. 😄

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tycoon said:

completely disregards his family like a joke,

I’ve been suicidal and I can tell you, when people feel that way, they genuinely believe that their families would be better off without them.

Does that make sense? No. But the fact is that depression is so crippling that when you have it, you don’t think logically.

When I said it was “somewhat good”, I was referring to the fact that he went out doing something he loved. He at least had some happiness before the end.

Of course, it would have been better if he was still alive. Then he’d have a chance.

But, as someone who’s gone through something similar, I simply can’t condemn him for his actions.

Edited by PB_Cybermat47
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

You’ve obviously never been suicidal. I have, and I can tell you, when people feel that way, they genuinely believe that their families would be better off without them.

What he thinks doesn't really matter now.  He's dead.  I doubt his family gives a crap that he died doing something that he loves.  Well, assuming that he loved crashing, because that is how he died.  

1 minute ago, BraveSirRobin said:

What he thinks doesn't really matter now.  He's dead.  I doubt his family gives a crap that he died doing something that he loves.  Well, assuming that he loved crashing, because that is how he died.  

I think my favourite thing about you is how empathetic you are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

I think my favourite thing about you is how empathetic you are.

It's something that I love.

Posted (edited)

Gentlemen, I think we're missing the point of my post. Yes the man died. Yes that's a tragedy. A few hundred thousand people around the globe died on that day too, and none of them made the news. And the reason they didn't make the news is because none of them, in fact, not one of the many billions who have died since the Wright Brothers' maiden flight, has ever jumped into a twin-engine turboprop commercial aircraft without a shred of flight training and executed a successful takeoff and a 75-minute solo flight complete with full loops and barrel rolls. Pulling this off, apparently, by falling back on his video game experience. Are you [edited] kidding me??? THAT is the headline here. 

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, StG77_HvB said:

Gentlemen, I think we're missing the point of my post. Yes the man died. Yes that's a tragedy. A few hundred thousand people around the globe died on that day too, and none of them made the news. And the reason they didn't make the news is because none of them, in fact, not one of the many billions who have died since the Wright Brothers' maiden flight, has ever jumped into a twin-engine turboprop commercial aircraft without a shred of flight training and executed a successful takeoff and a 75-minute solo flight complete with full loops and barrel rolls. Pulling this off, apparently, by falling back on his video game experience. Are you [edited] kidding me??? THAT is the headline here. 

True, the guy did manage something pretty bloody remarkable.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

Posted (edited)

Yet people still [edited] because the FMs seem too easy lol. I guess the Q400 FM was nerfed.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

5 hours ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

But, as someone who’s gone through something similar, I simply can’t condemn him for his actions.

Yeah, never mind he put other people's lives at risk and destroyed an expensive aircraft in the process. But hey! He went out doing what he loved and got some laughs in the process! :rolleyes:

I highly doubt you'd be singing the same tune if this guy had plowed this aircraft into a schoolyard or a crowded shopping center.

10 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Yeah, never mind he put other people's lives at risk and destroyed an expensive aircraft in the process. 

It looks like he did the stunts over water, and he made sure to crash the plane in an unpopulated area, so it’s pretty obvious that he was making sure not to hurt anyone.

As for how expensive the plane was, I honestly don’t care. Hell, perhaps it’ll motivate the decision makers in America to actually do something about the awful mental healthcare system.

12 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

I highly doubt you'd be singing the same tune if this guy had plowed this aircraft into a schoolyard or a crowded shopping center.

Obviously.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, StG77_HvB said:

Not at all surprising. AFAIK he was a maintenance employee who, as part of his duties, knew how to start the engines and taxi on the runway. Given this, all that remains is to taxi to the runway put the engines on full throttle and wait until the end of the runway to pull up - any joystick flight game would teach you that, even WT. 

Once you are in the air it simply does not take much to fly the aircraft, you can even completely disregard the rudder pedals and just fly with elevator/ailerons. 

The most difficult part in this situation would be the landing actually... Unfortunately we won't ever know if he would be able to do it, had he wanted to.

• Haha 1

i bet weve chatted with him some time 

shame he didnt land it, maybe in some parallel universe he did

9 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

It's remarkable how you can always be the lowest character in any company.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Couple of things.  The implications that a plane of that size was accessible to to be taken without authorization is scary.  One can imagine all the targets.

I am no expert on suicidal thinking but it appears that in many some cases the idea is to go out taking as many other lives as possible.  That mixed with first person shooter arcade games could be why we have so many mass shootings in the US.

This guy happened to be a flight simmer.  The fact he got a twin engine aircraft off the ground and did aerobatics with it without formal flight training is amazing.  We are lucky however that he was not one of those who wanted to take out as many other people as possible.  He could have easily headed for downtown Seattle.  The co-pilot that locked the door and flew a full commercial plane into a mountain comes to mind.

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I am no expert on suicidal thinking but it appears ...

Just end it  on being not an expert right there... Your implications are hardly helpful.

Edit: a simple google search would net you http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suicideprevent/en/

Now, do we get even remotely close to 800k reports of people going on murder sprees because they decided to commit suicide?

Edited by JaffaCake

5 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Yeah, never mind he put other people's lives at risk and destroyed an expensive aircraft in the process. But hey! He went out doing what he loved and got some laughs in the process! :rolleyes:

One shouldn't forget that suicidal people aren't rational in their thinking or behavior.

So even though we don't condone his actions, we don't condemn it either.

Still much better than what the Germanwings guy did, or emptying dad's gun and ammo collection into a classroom.

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

It's remarkable how you can always be the lowest character in any company.

I'm surprised that you're not whining about how his comms didn't sound realistic enough.

The idea that this was somewhat good because he killed himself doing something that he loved is absurd. 

bahhh i bet its really a fake news to keep us amused and no thinking

that was in torrente movie

19 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

I'm surprised that you're not whining about how his comms didn't sound realistic enough.

The idea that this was somewhat good because he killed himself doing something that he loved is absurd. 

An Archer episode comes to mind. 

download.jpeg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

One shouldn't forget that suicidal people aren't rational in their thinking or behavior.

Still much better than what the Germanwings guy did, or emptying dad's gun and ammo collection into a classroom.

My thinking exactly.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

The eff am I going to sit here and not condemn his actions. Like I said, you all would be singing a very different tune if he'd crashed that plane into a populated area.

And before anyone goes there: yes, I know what it is like to have loved ones who are suicidal. 

Edited by LukeFF

11 hours ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

As for how expensive the plane was, I honestly don’t care. Hell, perhaps it’ll motivate the decision makers in America to actually do something about the awful mental healthcare system.

You don't even know if he tried to get medical help.

30 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

You don't even know if he tried to get medical help.

Wether or not he did doesn’t change the fact that mental healthcare funding in the US is severely lacking.

777A1211-7643-42A6-A529-687CD74223D6.thumb.png.db92ee93c14d0e0e759b974d88be79ec.png

Posted (edited)

What the heck did you bring it up for then?

Edited by Tycoon

Absolutely the only good thing about this is that he didn't take anyone else out.  The idea that it was good that he died doing something he loved is total nonsense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tycoon said:

What the hell did you bring it up for then?

Because he had mental health issues, and this would have been much less likely to happen if American mental healthcare was better.

I mean, look at how bad the US’s suicide problem is:

Total_suicides_in_the_United_States_1981

Sorry, but when around 45,000 people are killing themselves every year, I think it might be time to start funding mental healthcare...

Posted (edited)

Cybermatt, I would suggest you take your uniformed views of the American healthcare/insurance provider system somewhere else.  As Tyfoon said, you have no idea whether this guy reached out for mental health services, what his insurance coverage was, or anything else about his situation, or the broader and very complex American healthcare system in general.  So quit trying to fit this situation into some broad generalization about the USA, or pretend that you know what you're talking about.  Healthcare policies are politics, and politics is rarely a good subject to discuss on an international forum completely unrelated to politics.

Edited by SeaSerpent

1 minute ago, SeaSerpent said:

Cybermatt, I would suggest you take your uniformed views of the American healthcare/insurance provider system somewhere else.

My apologies, I thought that American mental healthcare providers were good sources about American mental healthcare: https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/saving-normal/201606/us-mental-health-care-goes-the-worst-even-worse

3 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

As Tyfoon said, you have no idea whether this guy reached out for mental health services, what his insurance situation was, or anything else about his situation.

Nor do you, so I’m unsure why you’re acting on the assumption that he didn’t reach out.

Also, I’m a suicide survivor, so I think I might know just a bit about his mental situation...

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

So some Australian kid with a past suicide attempt reads a magazine article, and now is an expert on the ins and outs and shortcomings of the American healthcare system, and in regards to this individual's situation in particular?  pfffft.   Just stop...

Edited by SeaSerpent

35 minutes ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

Nor do you, so I’m unsure why you’re acting on the assumption that he didn’t reach out.

The only one making assumptions about his mental health and what sort of healthcare he had is you.

31 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

So some Australian kid with a past suicide attempt reads a magazine article, and now is an expert on the ins and outs and shortcomings of the American healthcare system, and in regards to this individual's situation in particular?  pfffft.   Just stop...

I never claimed to be an expert. It’s just that when 45,000 people are committing suicide every year, and a mental health professional with decades of experience says that something’s wrong, I think that there’s a bit of a problem.

Anyway, it’s fairly obvious that this discussion is just going to go around in circles, so I’ll just leave it here.

And it’s a pretty sensitive topic, so no hard feelings for anyone over disagreeing :salute:

As the guy is dead now, we'll never know his motivations unless they were written down or recorded. He killed himself for reasons unknown to us. His family and friends are left to live with it. The only positive is he alerted the aviation world to another possibility for danger. Maybe there will be new safety measures implemented to help prevent someone else from accessing an aircraft without being challenged.

10 hours ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

I never claimed to be an expert. It’s just that when 45,000 people are committing suicide every year, and a mental health professional with decades of experience says that something’s wrong, I think that there’s a bit of a problem.

A tragic issue, so not easy to argue about, but anyway:

Is the 45k really that much of an issue*? I wonder how this scales down or up to EU or Australian numbers (or therefore any part of the western world).

Only then you can start looking at the deeper issues. Statistics are - unfortunately - usually misrepresented nowadays to back an aganda.

What concerns me a lot more is the 50% increase since the early 2000s. That issue points to society rather than just the healthcare-system itself.

* Obviously - 45k people dying is nothing to take lightly as a society and is tragic in any single case.

Austrian airlines operate such planes. I will have to order more drinks than usually on my next flight just not to think about it.

On 8/14/2018 at 3:50 AM, MiloMorai said:

He played Aces High at one time.

The above is nothing more than idle gossip.