Legioneod

Extra Bodenplatte Aircraft

What collector aircraft would you like to see in the future if the devs decide to make extra aircraft for Bodenplatte.  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Allied

• Typhoon
    • P-47 D-22 Razorback
    • Spitfire XIV
    • P-51 B/C
    • P-47M
    • Mosquito
    • A-20G/J
    • Gloster Meteor
    • A-26
    • B-26 Marauder
    • C-47
    • P-61
  2. 2. Axis

• Bf 109 G-10
    • Fw 190 A9
    • Ar 234
    • Me 163
    • Ta 152
    • Me 410
    • Fiat G.55

I know people say these polls are pointless but I'm curious to see what people think.

If the devs ever decide to add 2 more collector aircraft to bodenplatte which ones would you be most interested in seeing. If you have any suggestions put it in the comments.

I wasnt sure what to really pick for the Axis so I just selected a few interesting aircraft.

For me personally it would be the P-47D-22 Razorback and the Fw-190A9. The P-47M and Ta 152 were very tempting but I'd like to see a razorback and another Anton first.

Edited by Legioneod

You missed off the Mosquito and the 163 is perhaps kinda pointless without the US heavies or the capability to put many of them in the sky in game.

The A20 G/J would also have made my list as would the A26 and B26 not to forget a flyable B25. And the Dak. Something I could sit in the nose of would be a nice feature also.

In fact there are probably another 2 full products worth of aircraft needed to satisfy everyone's own desires at least partially for the Sept 44 - May 45 timeframe now covered. And I doubt that would go down well with the Pacific chaps unless the revenue generated resulted in something utterly spectacular carrier wise. 

There are so many Allied aircraft types around in numbers during that period (compared to variations of single engine theme for the Axis) I doubt you'd ever satiate the desire for this that or the other.

But for me - Mossie and the Ar 234 (if its one of each side)

AND if 2000 IL2 Mossie fans each contributed £20 to the people's mosquito project this year  im pretty sure 777 and Mr W would be able to handle, measure (and lick) as many gauges and parts as they wished in their research of it as well as having access to a comprehensive set of drawings and manuals. 🙂

Sorry, but the Me 163 is pointless and doesn't fit the scenario at all. The Ta 152 doesn't fit the scenario or timeframe. P-51B/C (Mustang III), P-47D-22, Bf 109 G-10 and Fw 190 A-9 are all nice, but add comparably little to the BoBP planeset. The Spit Mk. XIV I'm not interested in as it's high-alt centric and ugly. It's not like the RAF is lacking a high-performance fighter.

Out of your list I'd select the Arado and Typhoon and add:

- Northrop P-61 (Besides some nocturnal encounters they very frequently flew intruder & attack missions)

- Gloster Meteor

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, BOO said:

You missed off the Mosquito and the 163 is perhaps kinda pointless without the US heavies or the capability to put many of them in the sky in game.

The A20 G/J would also have made my list as would the A26 and B26 not to forget a flyable B25. And the Dak. Something I could sit in the nose of would be a nice feature also.

In fact there are probably another 2 full products worth of aircraft needed to satisfy everyone's own desires at least partially for the Sept 44 - May 45 timeframe now covered. And I doubt that would go down well with the Pacific chaps unless the revenue generated resulted in something utterly spectacular carrier wise. 

There are so many Allied aircraft types around in numbers during that period (compared to variations of single engine theme for the Axis) I doubt you'd ever satiate the desire for this that or the other.

But for me - Mossie and the Ar 234 (if its one of each side)

AND if 2000 IL2 Mossie fans each contributed £20 to the people's mosquito project this year  im pretty sure 777 and Mr W would be able to handle, measure (and lick) as many gauges and parts as they wished in their research of it as well as having access to a comprehensive set of drawings and manuals. 🙂

27 minutes ago, =27=Davesteu said:

Sorry, but the Me 163 is pointless and doesn't fit the scenario at all. The Ta 152 doesn't fit the scenario or timeframe. P-51B/C (Mustang III), P-47D-22, Bf 109 G-10 and Fw 190 A-9 are all nice, but add comparably little to the BoBP planeset. The Spit Mk. XIV I'm not interested in as it's high-alt centric and ugly. It's not like the RAF is lacking a high-performance fighter.

Out of your list I'd select the Arado and Typhoon and add:

- Northrop P-61 (Besides some nocturnal encounters they very frequently flew intruder & attack missions)

- Gloster Meteor

Only reason I added the 163 is because I'm not sure what other Axis aircraft would be nice to have, most of them we already have in-game, at least fighter wise.

I'll add the other aircraft to the poll though.

Boddenplate planeset currently have no bombers.

Sooo, Ar234 for the axis, so that I have something else to fly other than the outdated ju88-A4

For the allies it's a 50/50 between the B26 and the Mossie. Though the mosquito would better fit the battlefield, the B26 is more appealing to fly.

I'll settle for the B26 probably.

now, see how this list get ever longer....

The Me 410 - According to Wiki (yes yes) relegated to recon mainly by the autumn/winter of 44 but there's a fair bit of love out there for it still.

Add this to your list and you have already the 16 aircraft ad 2 Full campaign sets I mentioned before. 

9 minutes ago, F/JG300_Gruber said:

Boddenplate planeset currently have no bombers.

We don't know yet. There's still a chance the P-38 gets a "Droop Snoot" modification.

I'd love the Marauder, but the B-25 fits the map way better. It's very unlikely they spend money developing it but don't add a cockpit and sell it eventually. The Mosquito bomber and fighter-bomber don't fit the map very well as they operated from Great Britain.

7 minutes ago, BOO said:

The Me 410 - According to Wiki (yes yes) relegated to recon mainly by the autumn/winter of 44 but there's a fair bit of love out there for it still. 

Not fitting the scenario.

25 minutes ago, =27=Davesteu said:

Not fitting the scenario.

Well aware of that. Simply echoing the number of times its been mentioned since BoBp's aircraft set has been announced and number of player who like to fly slightly underperforming German twins. And given the devs have now said the scenario(s) covered now extend beyond the Boddenplatte era  by 5 months either way there is possibly a place for it in a fantasy fun poll if not in the actual game. 

Due to the lack of bombers it makes alot of sense to have some as collector aircraft.

If it will be bombers I vote for the B-26 Marauder and the Ar 234. The B25 is no interest to me and the B-26 fits better with a western european and 9th Air Force scenario, the B-25 can always come with the Pacific and I feel that that is the main reason it is even being developed for Bodenplatte.

Edited by Legioneod

38 minutes ago, BOO said:

Well aware of that. Simply echoing the number of times its been mentioned since BoBp's aircraft set has been announced and number of player who like to fly slightly underperforming German twins. And given the devs have now said the scenario(s) covered now extend beyond the Boddenplatte era  by 5 months either way there is possibly a place for it in a fantasy fun poll if not in the actual game. 

It's September 1944 to March 1945, but by February 1945 most LW units were redeployed to the Eastern Front. And yes, she is quite popular in the forum, but unlike many other aircraft not fitting the scenario. Some care about this, some don't. Fair enough. :)

4 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Due to the lack of bombers it makes alot of sense to have some as collector aircraft.

If it will be bombers I vote for the B-26 Marauder and the Ar 234. The B25 is no interest to me and the B-26 fits better with a western european and 9th Air Force scenario, the B-25 can always come with the Pacific and I feel that that is the main reason it is even being developed for Bodenplatte. 

The BoBP-map doesn't include the B-26 airfields in France, but the 2nd TAF RAF B-25 airfields are on the map. They mainly operated Mitchell II (B-25C/D) which is also very important to most Asiatic-Pacific scenarios. If they do it now it can be used for BoBP and frees up one more slot in a future Asiatic-Pacific package. This slot could be used for a B-26 in case of New Guinea.

• Upvote 2

For me: Gloster Meteor and Arado 234. Surprising to see so many others also wanting Arado :) .

Me262 are the reason I buy the expansion, but It would be super nice to have the only other Allied alternative in the game, even for mostly "what if" and multiplayer.

I admit, I really love the early ww2 jets :)

It's really hard to make a pick for either category. Mostly because there are too many airplanes I'd like to see and I wouldn't want to stack any above the other.

The only airplanes I could exclude would be on the allied side the Meteor and the P-47M. Mostly because they weren't used in the area and because they just don't rock my boat enough compared to the other options. The other airplanes are at least plausible enough.

The only *new* airplanes (not being a variation or touching a related design) would be the Mosquito, the A-26, B-26 and the P-61. I'm leaving the Dakota aside as it might be done by 3rd party some time.

On the german side, the Me 163 is pretty much a one trick pony and adds little to the game. It also wasn't used on the map-area. The Ta 152 doesn't fit the map either.

I'd rather have included either the Ju 188 or one of the late war Ju 88s (S or T for the bombers/ recce; G for night fighters/ Zerstörer).

The Ar 234 and Me 410 would fit the *new* airplane category here.

13 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

We don't know yet. There's still a chance the P-38 gets a "Droop Snoot" modification.

I'd love the Marauder, but the B-25 fits the map way better. It's very unlikely they spend money developing it but don't add a cockpit and sell it eventually. The Mosquito bomber and fighter-bomber don't fit the map very well as they operated from Great Britain.

This short newsreel features film from the 01/01/45 attack. There are clips of snow covered Mosquitoes on the ground included.

11 hours ago, GrinderX9 said:

For me: Gloster Meteor and Arado 234. Surprising to see so many others also wanting Arado :) .

Not really a surprise to me, since that was pretty much the only purpose-built bomber flying on the Western Front in the last 6 months of the war.

mossie and arado 234

but desperatly missing b17 b 24 and lancaster

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, II/JG11ATLAN said:

mossie and arado 234

but desperatly missing b17 b 24 and lancaster

Yep, but I don't think we will ever see the heavies unless they allow aircraft mods like in 1946, as far as I know they won't let us add any custom aircraft to the game through modding.

I would love to have all these planes, but a problem I see is, that we might not have enough planes left for another full module in the future when too many aircraft get released as collector planes.

The Typhoon, early P-47/P-51, Mosquito, A-20G/J, B-26 and Me-410 would fit best in a Normandy/Channel Front module and the Bf-109G10, Fw-190A9, Ta-152 in a Berlin/Oder Front module.

I think as Bodenplatte collector planes only the P-61, A-26, Spitfire XIV and Ar-234 would really make sense, because they saw a lot of use in the BoBP region and it's unlikely that they will be added in future modules.

Edited by Juri_JS

31 minutes ago, Juri_JS said:

I would love to have all these planes, but a problem I see is, that we might not have enough planes left for another full module in the future when too many aircraft get released as collector planes.

The Typhoon, early P-47/P-51, Mosquito, A-20G/J, B-26 and Me-410 would fit best in a Normandy/Channel Front module and the Bf-109G10, Fw-190A9, Ta-152 in a Berlin/Oder Front module.

I think as Bodenplatte collector planes only the P-61, A-26, Spitfire XIV and Ar-234 would really make sense, because they saw a lot of use in the BoBP region and it's unlikely that they will be added in future modules.

The thing is the map isn't just Bodenplatte, it goes from Market Garden in September 44 all the way to March (I think) 45. The map is also one of the largest they've ever done.

P-47D-22 would fit perfectly in the early stages of the Bodenplatte expansion, they used D-22s until the end of the war, same goes for the B-26. You are crooret that eventually they will run out of aircraft to do complete expansions imo, eventually they will have to just release more aircraft for one side than another (the case if they do a Normandy expansion since many of the German aircraft (fighter wise) are already in-game, or they will have to just create the maps by themselves when the aircraft are already in-game.

401 x 324 km

Map.jpg

Edited by Legioneod

The Arado would be incredibly interesting.

I hesitate between the Typhoon and the Moskito.

I believe night fighters would be irrelevant unless we get radars and operators to guide the planes.

The Gloster meteor would be rather unrealistic as it was barely used and never engaged other planes.

13 hours ago, Rjel said:
On 8/10/2018 at 11:50 AM, =27=Davesteu said:

This short newsreel features film from the 01/01/45 attack. There are clips of snow covered Mosquitoes on the ground included.

Apparently this reel was shot at B58 Melsbroek and almost surely the Mossie shown is a photo-reconnaissance one. I stick to my comment as I was only talking about bomber and fighter-bomber units. Pretty sure most people hoping for a Mosquito are thinking about exactly those two versions, but Great Britain is not on the map. By then the fighter-bomber Mosquito units were focused on anti-shipping in the North Sea anyways.

14 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

I'd rather have included either the Ju 188 or one of the late war Ju 88s (S or T for the bombers/ recce; G for night fighters/ Zerstörer).

The Ar 234 and Me 410 would fit the *new* airplane category here.

The Ju 188 and the even better fitting Ju 88 S were used only very occasionally and only during the first half of the BoBP timeframe. Moreover they were based outside the map. For the Me 410 we lack the scenarios (Italy, Channel or Reichsverteidigung).

14 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

The only airplanes I could exclude would be on the allied side the Meteor and the P-47M. Mostly because they weren't used in the area and because they just don't rock my boat enough compared to the other options. The other airplanes are at least plausible enough.

5 hours ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

The Gloster meteor would be rather unrealistic as it was barely used and never engaged other planes.

The Meteor was present on the BoBP map being based at Melsbroek from early February 1945 and later Gilze-Rijen. They were initially restricted to CAP over friendly territory, but after this was lifted they engaged ground targets. Therefore the Meteor would be neither out of place nor unrealistic.
In fact the Meteor and Ar 234 would make a perfect collector bundle as both are jets, used for attacking ground targets, and two Ar 234 even bombed Melsbroek, damaging a Meteor. Of course hypothetical aerial engagements* could be fought, but staying historical there are still plenty of reasons to include her.
*: Let's not disregard the V-1 defense.

6 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

I'd be surprised if there are more than three complete scenario packages to come. The game would be 10 years old by then. Normandy is a very bad flight Sim scenario anyways. No reason limiting ourselves I'd say.

Edited by =27=Davesteu

35 minutes ago, =27=Davesteu said:

I'd be surprised if there are more than three more complete scenario packages to come. The game would be 10 years old by then. Normandy is a very bad flight Sim scenario anyways. No reason limiting ourselves I'd say.

I disagree, Normandy would be a very interesting choice, especially for ground attack missions, I'd prefer Italy over Normandy but Normandy is still very interesting.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

I disagree, Normandy would be a very interesting choice, especially for ground attack missions.

... for the Allies maybe. What about the Luftwaffe? Few attacks at night and bleeding out its daylight fighter force dozens of miles away.

6 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

Apparently this reel was shot at B58 Melsbroek and almost surely the Mossie shown is a photo-reconnaissance one. I stick to my comment as I was only talking about bomber and fighter-bomber units. Pretty sure most people hoping for a Mosquito are thinking about exactly those two versions, but Great Britain is not on the map. By then the fighter-bomber Mosquito units were focused on anti-shipping in the North Sea anyways.

While I  can agree that there are certainly aircraft that don't fit the BOBP in a 100% historical fashion, that precedent was already set in this series when we got Fw-190s and Mc.202s on Russian maps where they either never were or were never in enough strength to contribute in a meaningful way. In the case of the Macchi I certainly can't complain as it has been a very enjoyable airplane to fly. I think it could be argued and I believe has been, that the Me-262 really doesn't fit into this sim in the way that would represent its historical use accurately. All the same, when it arrives I'll fly it and enjoy doing so. With that in mind, I think the Mosquito would still fit in nicely. Few WWII era A/C were more iconic or more successful.

I don't profess to understand how best to forecast what other simmers want from a flight sim. And I don't worry about it either as I'm sure the development team has a handle on that regardless. I do know what I like and that is to simply enjoy as many different styles of airplanes from the WWII era as possible. The Mosquito was significant in its unique design, its performance and its contributions to the war effort. While it might not have been a factor in the time frame and area that BOBP will be set, it was a major player throughout nearly the entirety of WWII in the ETO and elsewhere. Given the limited scope of this series, we aren't recreating the vastness of WWII, only smaller segments of it. To preclude major aircraft types because they simply don't mesh perfectly with history would likely mean never seeing them fly in this series. I doubt the there could be many other airplanes introduced into this flight sim that would be any more eagerly anticipated than would be the Mosquito. 

Edited by Rjel

7 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

The Ju 188 and the even better fitting Ju 88 S were used only very occasionally and only during the first half of the BoBP timeframe. Moreover they were based outside the map. For the Me 410 we lack the scenarios (Italy, Channel or Reichsverteidigung).

The "based outside the map"-part doesn't concern me too much here. They would fit nicely in a Mosquito vs Ju 88/ Ju 188 setup.

The 188 is sexy because it has never been done before. The 410 is sexy for precisely the same reason.

Thre aren't too many german late war bombers.

IMHO there is too much focus on single engined fighters.

An A-9 (though I'd like to see it at some later time) and a 109G-10 (same) are a bridge too far for me at this point.

7 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

The Meteor was present on the BoBP map being based at Melsbroek from early February 1945 and later Gilze-Rijen. They were initially restricted to CAP over friendly territory, but after this was lifted they engaged ground targets. Therefore the Meteor would be neither out of place nor unrealistic.
In fact the Meteor and Ar 234 would make a perfect collector bundle as both are jets, used for attacking ground targets, and two Ar 234 even bombed Melsbroek, damaging a Meteor. Of course hypothetical aerial engagements* could be fought, but staying historical there are still plenty of reasons to include her.
*: Let's not disregard the V-1 defense.

I guess one can learn something new every day :)

TBH, the Meteor still doesn't quite rock my boat. A Meteor vs Ar 234 setup would be okay, but I'd much rather like to see the matchup mentioned above.

I'd also like to see the -22 Jug and a -B/C Mustang (prefereably with a Malcolm hood). The Tiffie would be gold, too. Then again, all are singe engined fighters.

9 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I disagree, Normandy would be a very interesting choice, especially for ground attack missions, I'd prefer Italy over Normandy but Normandy is still very interesting.

Yep

20 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Agree. DCS is "doing" this right now, but they lack focus.

The somewhat arkward thing about Normandy is that you basicly need another map every day during the first couple of days, when the airfields are getting built.

What about a southern France map? Too little action?

Another interesting (yet probably too special) setup is the air war above the Bay of Biscay.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:18 AM, Rjel said:

I think it could be argued and I believe has been, that the Me-262 really doesn't fit into this sim in the way that would represent its historical use accurately.

Say what? You have two operational units that fit the map and timeframe completely - Kommando Nowontny and KG 51. Whatever argument has been made against their inclusion is bunk.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:18 AM, Rjel said:

While I  can agree that there are certainly aircraft that don't fit the BOBP in a 100% historical fashion, that precedent was already set in this series when we got Fw-190s and Mc.202s on Russian maps where they either never were or were never in enough strength to contribute in a meaningful way.

The 190 A-3 and MC202 both come with maps they were flown over. 

On 8/11/2018 at 12:33 PM, Bremspropeller said:

The 410 is sexy for precisely the same reason.

Thre aren't too many german late war bombers.

IMHO there is too much focus on single engined fighters.

Well, let's see here...the late-war Luftwaffe force was focused on being a fighter force, so that should be reflected in the game. It isn't our fault they decided to abandon practically all their Ju 88 and He 111 bomber units for fighters, and that the Me 410 was nothing but a flying target by mid-1944.

Edited by LukeFF

4 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Say what? You have two operational units that fit the map and timeframe completely - Kommando Nowontny and KG 51. Whatever argument has been made against their inclusion is bunk.

The 190 A-3 and MC202 both come with maps they were flown over. 

Well, let's see here...the late-war Luftwaffe force was focused on being a fighter force, so that should be reflected in the game. It isn't our fault they decided to abandon practically all their Ju 88 and He 111 bomber units for fighters, and that the Me 410 was nothing but a flying target by mid-1944.

My point was that historically, the Me-262 will not in this game perform the mission most people recognize it as being used. That being an interceptor of bomber streams. Sure it might have had ground attack missions but those were limited in comparison.

My comments about the 190 and 202 were widely argued here when they are first announced and included. That is they were both peripheral to the action and not major combatants. I wasn't arguing their inclusion and stated so. It also reinforces my point about the Mosquito. It was a major combatant throughout the ETO and indeed would fit perfectly as either a premium aircraft or a future expansion. We don't currently have a high performance fighter/bomber, at least not in the category of the Mosquito so it would be a win/win for all but those who are sticklers for complete historical accuracy, which was also another point made in my previous post.

My vote, for the Allies, goes to the Spitfire Mk XIVe

For me, the Spitfire XIV is essential to 1944 / 1945 air superiority over Europe. It is also the peak of Spitfire development during WW2 - with immense power and performance whilst maintaining most of the earlier Marks' manouverability. It's Rolls Royce Griffon engine was up there with the biggest and beastiest piston engines that either side could offer.

Furthermore, it has never been modelled before for ANY combat flight simulator within my memory (apart from Modded IL-2 1946, but it didn't feel like it flew 'right')

I think the Mosquito should be included in the BOBp Premium Edition.

For Axis, my vote goes to the Me 410 - Almost, almost the German Mosquito.

If I could vote for any Axis Aircraft of that era of WW2 (Mid 1944 to 1945 VE Day)...

I would vote for the Fiat G.55 Centauro. The Germans considered it superior to the Me 109G and wanted to manufacture it, if I recall correctly. It appeared in very small numbers in the defense of Berlin. And it can turn with a Spitfire whilst having a similiar top speed to a Me 109G6. It's also a warbird rarely seen in combat simulations.

Cheers

Algy

Edited by Algy-Lacey
Youtube link

7 hours ago, LukeFF said:

So what? If there was a coice between the 500th iteration of a Bf 109 or a Ju 188, I wouldn't have to think twice.

Also the Ju (or Me 410) comes with the more interesting missions.

I voted for the Typhoon and the Me 410. The Typhoon for obvious reasons, the Me 410 because it's a cool plane with a lot of flexibility and different weapon loadouts. I know BoBP it's a bit too late for it but collector planes don't have to be 100% accurate for the expansions, it can be useful in earlier setting missions with the 109 G-6, 109 G-14 and Fw 190 A-8, probably also for late Eastern Front set ups with the La-5FN, Yak-1B, twin seater IL-2 and in the future the late Yak-9/Yak-3 Jason wants to make at some point.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:18 AM, =27=Davesteu said:

The Spit Mk. XIV I'm not interested in as it's high-alt centric and ugly. It's not like the RAF is lacking a high-performance fighter.

The Mk XIV had good performance at low altitude as well, with +18 boost it had similar speed to the +25 boost Mk IX (similar to 109 G-14), the +21 boost Mk XIV had similar speed to the 109 K-4 at sea level iirc (with +25 it would go past 600 km/h but looks like +21 was used more commonly).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

So what? If there was a coice between the 500th iteration of a Bf 109 or a Ju 188, I wouldn't have to think twice.

Also the Ju (or Me 410) comes with the more interesting missions.

So what? I want something I can use in career mode during the time frame being simulated, that's what. Ju 188s or Me 410s do not fit the time frame of Bodenplatte right now, full stop.

12 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

So what? Neither did the 190 at Stalingrad, full stop.

And the Mc 202 and P-40E at Moscow, they can be played if the player wishes so.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

I think Luke is more concerned about wasting development-time and -effort into a an airplane that is not 100% historically accurate. That's a valid concern which I very much understand and can relate to. The point is, though, the airplanes I referred to (while not being all that common anymore) did operate in the general area and are plausible for the theater of operations.

If doing a cockpit would be too much hassle now, I'd also gladly take those airplanes as AI first and maybe have it implemented as a full player airplane later.

The game's overall situation changed since BoM and especially BoS. Kuban came with fitting collector aircraft and considering the effort put into redesigning the career system it's likely they want to make use out of any additional aircraft. The A-3, MC.202 and P-40 argument might very well be outdated.

Jason hinted the most likely contenders in the reddit AMA anyways:

I would love to do the Ar-234 (it almost made the list for BoBP) and make the B-25 flyable, but time will tell what we can do.

I doubt they spend the time and money developing the B-25 without intention of selling it as fly-able. The Arado is a single-seater and they could reuse the Jumo jet engines by then already developed for the Me 262. Both are proper bombers, fitting the timeframe and map.

13 hours ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:
On 8/10/2018 at 9:18 AM, =27=Davesteu said:

The Spit Mk. XIV I'm not interested in as it's high-alt centric and ugly. It's not like the RAF is lacking a high-performance fighter.

The Mk XIV had good performance at low altitude as well, with +18 boost it had similar speed to the +25 boost Mk IX (similar to 109 G-14), the +21 boost Mk XIV had similar speed to the 109 K-4 at sea level iirc (with +25 it would go past 600 km/h but looks like +21 was used more commonly). 

Low the Tempest still has the edge, whereas the Spit Mk. XIV shines up high. My main point though: It's just another fighter. A potent one, but adding little additional versatility to the BoBP planeset. It has its place and could be done down the road, but it's no priority in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Rjel said:

Sure it might have had ground attack missions but those were limited in comparison. 

No, it was extensively used that way.

15 hours ago, Rjel said:

We don't currently have a high performance fighter/bomber, at least not in the category of the Mosquito so it would be a win/win for all but those who are sticklers for complete historical accuracy...

P-61

Edited by =27=Davesteu

3 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

P-61

We don't have one of those either so we can keep arguing hypothetical additions I suppose. I don't think the P-61 measures up to the Mosquito in any of the criteria I used to judge why the Mosquito would be a welcomed addition to BoX.