Sign in to follow this  
KesLenin

Spitfire trim and radiator controls

On Cliffs of Dover  the radiator controls  for the Spitfire can be mapped to the slider axis which reflects how the radiator was managed...

The Spitfire in Il2 has a push button arrangement...

Also on Cliffs of Dover the Spitfire can be trimmed out in both horizontal planes.

At the moment on Il2 this can only be done in a vertical plane.

On other Sovietplanes it is possible for the radiators to be mapped to a slider  and also for there to be pitch and roll trim.

Could these not be applied to the il2 Spitfire flight managenent model to make it more realistic?

30 minutes ago, KesLenin said:

Also on Cliffs of Dover the Spitfire can be trimmed out in both horizontal planes.

At the moment on Il2 this can only be done in a vertical plane.

Both Spitfires can be trimmed for yaw and pitch.

Yep no problem, just assign both yaw and pitch trims to buttons.

Thanks for that. It's a pain not being able to assign the radiator to a slider though. With a slider you can coax the last drop of speed out. It's why people buy joysticks capable of such things.

If you are anybody who could  refine and implement such changes is reading

I agree that not being able to put the radiator control on the MkV on an axis is annoying: most planes have either automatic radiators or the ability to use an axis: but if flying the MkV I have to assign not only an extra pair of buttons, but a pair of "good" buttons: ie ones that are easy to reach and use, since you are going to use them fairly often, and I have just about run out of buttons that I can use by feel without having to look carefully at what I am pressing. 

I think the developer reasoning is that the MkV's radiator lever had a limited number of predefined positions, rather than being a true analogue axis, hence the push button arrangement we have where one push moves one "notch".

The easiest solution is to fly the Mk IX. ;)     

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KesLenin said:

Thanks for that. It's a pain not being able to assign the radiator to a slider though. With a slider you can coax the last drop of speed out. It's why people buy joysticks capable of such things.

There is no need to coax anything like that in the Spit V. It is simple.

On ground, you have the rad OPEN.

In flight, you have it 40% open, you have least drag, cooled engine and warm guns.

Closing them to 20% will keep your guns warm but no cooling to the engine, else it is a "closed" radiator, producing more drag than 40% open. It is not at all useful in game (as opposed to real life).

If you are too slow, well, then you have to open them, but drag pentalty will be there.

If you have a hot engine in the Spit, then you are too slow. She's a racer. Fly her like that. That's all the coaxing there is to it.

Thanks but my point is not how do you manage the Spitfire engine.

Rather why is it clumsy (5 key push positions) lacking the subtlety of Cliffs of Dover, when other planes on Il2 can have slider radiator control

I think CloD depiction is wrong then.

Real Spitfire radiator control 6 positions which were adjusted by pressing the button on top the lever, unlocking the ratchet so the lever could be moved, but it would only rest in one of the 6 positions.

In fact on further research it seems the original CloD devs made the mistake, and Team Fusion haven't fixed it

I don't think we will limit the radiator to six positions.

We will probably leave it as an axis.

What will change is the graphics.

All aircraft radiators are set up as axis, to make a change for one doesn't make a lot of sense.

Edited by RoflSeal
  • Upvote 1

The manual is clear that there are notches ie fixed positions, so BoX is right on that. It could still be operated by an axis though in the game, but it would need a little specific coding.

Presumably the BoX developers thought it not worth it for one control on one aircraft, but it is still annoying.  Personally I like CloD's compromise solution as it allows the use of an axis for input.  If people think that they can use the lack of fixed positions to squeeze more performance out of the engine by fine tuning the position of the radiator axis let them wallow in delusion.  Meanwhile the rest of us are spared having to waste two good buttons. 

22 hours ago, KesLenin said:

Thanks but my point is not how do you manage the Spitfire engine.

Rather why is it clumsy (5 key push positions) lacking the subtlety of Cliffs of Dover, when other planes on Il2 can have slider radiator control

It should well be possible to map the lever on an axis. But there is a general problem in BoX assigning an axis to a lever with discreete positions. We have this stupid situation on mixture levers, where in many cases there should be only 2, 3, or 4 positions, but we can move the lever to „52%“. Technochat makes things even worse by stating % where it should state the selected mixture mode.

You should have your cooler lever such that you can map it on a slider or rotary, It should however jump from one ratchet position to the next.

We‘re missing here some reasonable game mechanics for all aircraft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

It should well be possible to map the lever on an axis. But there is a general problem in BoX assigning an axis to a lever with discreete positions. We have this stupid situation on mixture levers, where in many cases there should be only 2, 3, or 4 positions, but we can move the lever to „52%“. Technochat makes things even worse by stating % where it should state the selected mixture mode.

You should have your cooler lever such that you can map it on a slider or rotary, It should however jump from one ratchet position to the next.

We‘re missing here some reasonable game mechanics for all aircraft.

This is one I still don't understand why it's the way it is, because the "throttle" in the Nieuport 28 in ROF has 4 distinct positions that are controlled by an analog axis. Works great, and no one's ever had an issue with it.

• Upvote 2