Sign in to follow this  
SvAF/F16_radek

oculus home necessary?

Haven't been around for a few months and things keep changing.

I used to have an il2shortcut on my desktop and all I had to do was click that and put the rift on. That small Steam VR window would start as I had chosen for it to do. but there was no need for steam itself to open up and clutter my desktop. Oculus home was set to "admin only" so that didn't pop up either. This doesn't seem to work anyomore as all I get is a black screen if I don't allow oculus home to start. On top of that, running il2 from an desktop shortcut seems to default to pancake-mode whatever settings I run. So, my current pain in the arse procedure is to first open oculus home, then load up steam, right click il2 from the library, and tell it to start in VR mode. not nearly as elegant as having a desktop shortcut only.

Anyone?

Oculus in one of their recent updates changed that, Oculus Home needs to be running.

You do not have to have Steam running, unless of course you are running the Steam Version of the game,

Steam VR will start automatically.

Thank you for the info. How incredibly bloatware:y of them to do this. 

Decided to run il2 from the oculus library for now, as that means at least I don't need to have steam pop up. Though seems this requires a log on in-game every start.

1 minute ago, SvAF/F16_radek said:

Thank you for the info. How incredibly bloatware:y of them to do this. 

Decided to run il2 from the oculus library for now, as that means at least I don't need to have steam pop up. Though seems this requires a log on in-game every start.

You shouldn't have to have Steam pop up either way you run it, from within Oculus Home or from your desktop shortcut. Only Steam VR which should launch automatically.

At least that is the way it works on my end. ( I do not have a Steam key for BoS).

Mine works as before. That´s is with a Desktop shortcut and without Oculus Home.

I have not entered in Oculus Home in the last 3-4 months, so my Oculus software had not the chance to install that recent update. :biggrin:

I will keep this as long as Oculus allows.

19 minutes ago, dburne said:

You shouldn't have to have Steam pop up either way you run it, from within Oculus Home or from your desktop shortcut. Only Steam VR which should launch automatically.

At least that is the way it works on my end. ( I do not have a Steam key for BoS).

No, though my game is bought on steam I have set it not to pop up. So all ok.

10 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Mine works as before. That´s is with a Desktop shortcut and without Oculus Home.

I have not entered in Oculus Home in the last 3-4 months, so my Oculus software had not the chance to install that recent update. :biggrin:

Good choice. I made the mistake of opening home and seems I'm doomed with forever loading their 100mb cheesy luxury apartment bollox whenever I feel like flying.
At least the line I've drawn against apple still stands, though I need to press "refuse update" every day om my phone :)

Edited by SvAF/F16_radek

1 hour ago, chiliwili69 said:

Oculus updates without entering Home, no way around it - though there is still option not to opt in to RiftCore 2.0. ( Home 2)

Are you by chance running Home 1? I believe it still works with that, but not Home 2 / Riftcore.

One can still revert back to Home 1 as well afaik.

Edited by dburne

Im still on home 1 but I now *need* to run it to play BoX

2 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

Im still on home 1 but I now *need* to run it to play BoX

Interesting I had read it was still possible in Home 1.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Interesting I had read it was still possible in Home 1.

If anyone finds a way, let me know! :)

1 minute ago, OrLoK said:

If anyone finds a way, let me know! :)

You did set to "Run as Administrator" right?

I have not been on Home 1 in several months.

Just now, dburne said:

You did set to "Run as Administrator" right?

I have not been on Home 1 in several months.

Yeah, it used to work but now doesnt :(

24 minutes ago, dburne said:

Are you by chance running Home 1?

Uhmm.. What is Home 1? or Home 2?

Lost thing I remember from Oculus VR Home it was a small terrace of a penthouse with a pool in the back

Sorry for not being too updated with that, but my scarce free time is dedicated to IL-2

50 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Uhmm.. What is Home 1? or Home 2?

Lost thing I remember from Oculus VR Home it was a small terrace of a penthouse with a pool in the back

Sorry for not being too updated with that, but my scarce free time is dedicated to IL-2

Yeah that is Home 1 ( Classic ).

Introduction with short video for Rift Core 2.0 and Dash:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-rift-core/

You can read more  about Rift Core 2.0 and Dash here:

https://support.oculus.com/1702745539746285/

It is a pretty cool feature, obviously still in Beta so one needs to opt in for it. 

I personally like it , have my Home all decorated up and everything. Had a lot of fun doing so. You also earn items as you go by time spent in Oculus Home.

Heck from what I understand you can even pull items out of Dash and pin them into a game. I have not really delved much into doing so, but several guys over on the Oculus forums talk how much fun that is. Think Kneeboard.  Or really about anything.

Whilst combat flight sims will always be my first love, I do enjoy my Rift for a lot of things.  I like to think of myself as kind of diverse lol. Just limited in knowledge.

Edited by dburne