Sign in to follow this  
Madmatt

VR in Flying Circus is pretty incredible

Just a quick post to say that I tested out VR in the just released Early Access version of Flying Circus and one word sums it up... WOW, COOL, AMAZING, BREATH TAKING, THRILLING, IT'S WHAT I HAD HOPED FOR AND MORE!

But don't take my word(s) for it, check it out. Sure, you only get two planes for the moment and you have to fly on an borrowed map, and some of the damage effects look to still be showing the ones for bullets hitting metal, but so what!?! I love it! And let me say one thing about checking your six in VR... IT'S HARD! Thank god I have a swivel desk chair and even then it's still not simple to do.

I loved Rise of Flight, I can tell already that I will love Flying Circus even more. Kudos to Jason and the teams that are working on this. You guys done good!

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt
I can't spell
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Fully agree with all your adjetives!

Yesterday night I tested it and it had a lot of fun doing dogfights. With those low power engines (comparing to WWII) you have to play more with the speed, inertias, altitude changes, etc. It is a pure art of flying. A big thanks to Jason and the team for bringing RoF to VR!!!  :drinks::drinks:

Similar impressions in the FC section:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/38014-fc-early-access-in-vr

31 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Are the engine sounds louder and normal in FC ?  (I haven't bought it yet)

No,  hopefully it is a bug that they address in the near future.

Now that's interesting that you say that because I actually thought they were and in fact I found that I could track enemy planes that were out of my field of view by the sounds of their engines. The speakers and positional audio of the Oculus made that really engaging. 

16 hours ago, Madmatt said:

And let me say one thing about checking your six in VR... IT'S HARD!

That thing of looking back in "screen mode" seemed natural to me till I tried it in VR.

53 minutes ago, 4driano said:

That thing of looking back in "screen mode" seemed natural to me till I tried it in VR.

heh.. yup.. no more flying backwards with acrobatic precision like with trackir...

4 minutes ago, moosya said:

heh.. yup.. no more flying backwards with acrobatic precision like with trackir...

Lol yep but let's put a head movement limitation on VR cause they might wing walk.

Thankfully I only do single player and always have that off.

2 minutes ago, dburne said:

Lol yep but let's put a head movement limitation on VR cause they might wing walk.

Thankfully I only do single player and always have that off.

hah.. 😀 true for the wing walking comment, however i think it'll be pretty darn hard without a rudder... unless they have the twist joystick setup.. lol.  I know I did that in DCS just for fun, flying around sitting on top of a wing of p51 mustang.

1 minute ago, moosya said:

hah.. 😀 true for the wing walking comment, however i think it'll be pretty darn hard without a rudder... unless they have the twist joystick setup.. lol.  I know I did that in DCS just for fun, flying around sitting on top of a wing of p51 mustang.

Yeah I guess my main point is, one is not going to effectively be able to handle a dogfight whilst outside of the aircraft looking all around.

I think too much emphasis is put on enforcing this limitation for the MP guys , it is just not an advantage for the VR users. Actually it is just the opposite, Track IR users have a clear advantage over VR users by having the ability to look all around where normal head limitation would not allow.

But alas I don't do MP , so I am not really affected as I never fly with that limitation on. I do like though after a tough mission in my Spit Career, whilst on approach and slow for landing opening the canopy and hanging my head out a little to both cool off ;) and get better view of where runway starts.

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Yeah I guess my main point is, one is not going to effectively be able to handle a dogfight whilst outside of the aircraft looking all around.

I think too much emphasis is put on enforcing this limitation for the MP guys , it is just not an advantage for the VR users. Actually it is just the opposite, Track IR users have a clear advantage over VR users by having the ability to look all around where normal head limitation would not allow.

But alas I don't do MP , so I am not really affected as I never fly with that limitation on. I do like though after a tough mission in my Spit Career, whilst on approach and slow for landing opening the canopy and hanging my head out a little to both cool off ;) and get better view of where runway starts.

agreed, flying and sitting on a wing actually decreases the precision of the maneuvers (unless you fly like that 100% of the time lol :)

you should give MP a try, by the way. But not just any server. Try TAW. I didn't understand its premise for a year, then I just decided to try it out and now I love it. It's a low key server without all of the douchebaggery and most importantly nobody just attacks you to get a kill unless they outnumber you at 3:1. In 1:1 combat it's very calculated and with as least amount of risk as possible, for the most part people just fly in different directions. Because if you lose a plane you gotta work drudge missions for it, or if you die there's 5 min penalty before you can join again.

please don’t limit VR POV

-  it is an amazing feature for Video and movie making- it lets you easily place a camera in places that would be impossible while still controlling  the virtual aircraft.   

Vr implementation is what I needed to hear, buying it right now, ah, where’ My original rise of flight box and map and manual...

had to remember my my original email , recover password , login into RoF site and Voila, got a discount code.

i did see almost every add on plane purchased...

Got a Vive but What about this Samsung headset...noticeable improvement?

Edited by YankeeYankee_Mayhem
Questions

On 7/20/2018 at 9:17 PM, dburne said:

True but VR users have a massive advantage in terms of situational awareness. Plus I always used to find track IR could be neck craningly annoying and inconsistent at times, always needing to be dialed in, and reset. Despite the disadvantage mentioned, on the whole I feel more comfortable and efficent in VR than I used to with track IR... 

It's not easy but with a little practice you can get a little better view, looking up and over your shoulder whilst looking back. My old neck cracks and pops whilst I do this, but I manage it at least a little better - certainly not perfect though.

But it is a limitation of 1:1 tracking ( real pilots had that also ) combined with limited FOV. Yes next gen will be better but still a ways off.

I still would not have it any other way, absolutely love the immersion with VR.

But I have no shame either, I only fly SP and have no problem checking external views from time to time.

I think I saw where one guy created a snap view to allow him to do so. I would not do that for myself, I get motion sickness easy enough without something like that which I am sure would really make my sick at my stomach.

• Like 1

The VR advantage is being stuck inside the cockpit, not really a perk, rather the main goal of the flight sim development process.

but if this is combined with mouse and keyboard then perhaps there’s a discussion...

You were right guys flying circus is indeed incredible, I only worry that I will end up loving WW1 planes more than I do WW2!

I think I do prefer flying the WW1 planes though, so graceful and slow paced, which paradoxically somehow makes it more thrilling, kind of how I prefer fighting in WW2 planes as opposed to jets I suppose. And yes in VR wow!

If ever there was a game that deserves a steam user score of 'overwhelmingly positive' it is this series, and it just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait for FC and BOBP to actually get released!

12 minutes ago, YankeeYankee_Mayhem said:

The VR advantage is being stuck inside the cockpit, not really a perk, rather the main goal of the flight sim development process.

You're right. It is indeed -or should be- the main goal of the flight sim process which is why it baffles me when I hear people talking about graphics, as graphics should be irrelevant really, if one really wants a flight simulator, as opposed to just a game. Don't get me wrong. Graphics are very important for VR, to create added realism and atmosphere (the more realistic the better) but I would take bad low res graphics in VR, over high res, realistic graphics on a monitor any day. Because 2D does not actually simulate what it is like to actually fly, but VR does.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

You were right guys flying circus is indeed incredible, I only worry that I will end up loving WW1 planes more than I do WW2!

I think I do prefer flying the WW1 planes though, so graceful and slow paced, which paradoxically somehow makes it more thrilling, kind of how I prefer fighting in WW2 planes as opposed to jets I suppose. And yes in VR wow!

If ever there was a game that deserves a steam user score of 'overwhelmingly positive' it is this series, and it just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait for FC and BOBP to actually get released!

You're right. It is indeed -or should be- the main goal of the flight sim process which is why it baffles me when I hear people talking about graphics, as graphics should be irrelevant really, if one really wants a flight simulator, as opposed to just a game. Don't get me wrong. Graphics are very important for VR, to create added realism and atmosphere (the more realistic the better) but I would take bad low res graphics in VR, over high res, realistic graphics on a monitor any day. Because 2D does not actually simulate what it is like to actually fly, but VR does.

You are absolutely right, exactly how I feel as well. It really is an amazing experience.

Since I got VR, my combat flight simming has gone up a tremendous amount.

I have currently transferred to another squadron to continue my Kuban Career, taking a little break and flying these WWI birds for a bit. Lot of fun!

I hope the simpler wood and canvas crates can make the sim/near sim level experience more accessible. No superchargers to manage, no trim - wait, trim makes things easier.

Yeah, these old birds can be a handful too.

I’m very excited about this revamped WWI venue.

Yeah, I agree! FC in VR rocks!

I have been wanting a WWI flightsim ever since I tried VR.

Todays VR headsets, with their shortcomings, are really best suited for visual flying of less demanding aircraft. With less demanding I mean less demanding systems.

In a few years we will have better VR resolution, field of view and virtual interaction by VR gloves or something similar.

Until then, my prediction is that FC will provide the best VR flightsim experience possible.

Ok, you sold it to me.

I got Bodenplatte today, as I had to decide which  one would go first, and took it as it seemed the logical path, being FC more of a detour. But I can see why you suggest that WWI and VR make a good couple. Looking forward to save a little and get it.