LUZITANO

IL-2 Battle of Finland

I thought of this suggestion with great affection. I had the first contact with the history of the Battle of Finland playing the old IL-2-1946 years ago. The MS 410 was sooo cool. Here my simple suggestion :) 

IL-2 BATTLE OF FINLAND

Axis
G.50 (Premium)
MS 406
VL Myrsky II
Brewster B239
Fokker D.XXI

Allies
Hurricane Mk IIb (Premium)
Hurricane Mk IIc
I-16 Type 10
I-153
BD-3

The Fiat G.50 and the Hurricane MkIIb as premiums, as they participated in many fronts beyond the East. Hurricane Mk.IIb with options for Soviet weapon modifications

There are many other planes that have not been mentioned but can be developed in other battle series. An example is the Gladiator Mk.II, which could also be developed in a Desert Battle

Other fighters like the 109 and the Yak have already been developed in other series of battle, making possible a Continuation War

The main maps should be the front of Leningrad and the Baltic Sea. Also the port of Murmansk

Brewster-Buffalo-MkI-FAF-LeLv24.2-BW354-over-Lake-Tikshozero-Finland-1942-01.thumb.jpg.ff423242e11cc0125c8b3c2f5f8ff3de.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 7

Posted (edited)

Didn't the Finns also use Hurricanes and P-36's?  I remember the hurricane was an option in the IL-2 1946 Finnish dynamic campaign and AI sometimes flew P-36's.  The Brewster Buffalo could also be used in the Pacific with some changes.

Edited by US103_Furlow
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, LUZITANO said:

The main maps should be the front of Leningrad and the Baltic Sea. Also the port of Murmansk

Are you aware those two citys are 1000 km apart?

First generation IL2 "Gulf of Finland" map was my favorite stock one but it had its historical limits.
By trying to cover Winter War, Continuation War, Siege of Leningrad and Volkhov Front with one map they especially limited possibilities for latter three scenarios.
Important areas like Karelia or down to Lake Ilmen were missing and thereby omitting important parts of the overall picture.
What I'm trying to say: A simple rehearsal of the first generation map wouldn't be favorable at all in my opinion. Either Karelia or Siege of Leningrad.

The Myrsky would be a waste of development time. I love oddities, but this one simply isn't important enough to justify leaving out a Hawk 75, Blenheim or Do 17.

Edited by =27=Davesteu
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Don't forget Blenheim mk I and mk IV bombers on Winter War. Gloster Gauntlet was early on War too. Doriner do-17z and Ju-88s on Continuation War, not to mention bf 109g2 and 109g6 fighter planes. Several Russian war loot plane types was utilized also (I-16, DB2, Hurricane mk 2, etc.) 

Edited by LLv44_Damixu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It could be problematic because of some political issues, but it's a great idea.

1 minute ago, kramer said:

It could be problematic because of some political issues, but it's a great idea.

What political issues? 

I don't want any ban or something, i won't touch politics;)

But i support the idea anyway.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, kramer said:

I don't want any ban or something, i won't touch politics;)

But i support the idea anyway.

Good move due Finns were not Nazies nor supported holocaust. The Finns were grasping their straws on the existence against  of mighty millionfold  Stalin's Soviet Army invading the small country of Finland. Finns giving everything they had on their meagre posession (like birch logs jammed on attacking Soviet tanks or Molotov cocktails to burn the tanks).

Bad politics would be support Russia's current global politics, but I won't touch it here. 

Edited by LLv44_Damixu
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

It's been done already in Il-2, so proposing such expansion is pretty safe subject I guess.

I'd love the Murmansk map more theen a Leningrad Map... but the planeset OP presented sells me on Leningrad option.

Edited by LsV_Trupobaw

The topographic maps up to 1:20000 of Karelian isthmus / Ladoga's Karelia dated 1939 IIRC are also available digitally in Finland, but the are not for commercial use :( But I guess the could be bought also.

In original IL-2 the Online5 (Kotka harbour and isles of the Finnish Gulf) was by far the greatest map for dogfights. I spent soooo many hours flying on Virtualpilots.fi server back in the days.

• Upvote 1

If they do this battle the way I imagined it, the Axis will have planes from 5 different countries. Including Holland, France and USA

British planes like Gladiator MkII, Hurricanes and Blenheims can be developed in an eventual Battle of Great Britain. The P-36 certainly belongs to the Battle of France, having been extensively used by the French. They had available over 200 P-36's and made many kills

By thinking about the battle of Finland, I looked at the planes that belong to other battle series. As for the 109 ... there is not much to develop. All models that participated in the battle of Finland until 1944 are already developed

So ... the planes that will participate from 1942 until 1944 belong to other series of Soviet battle, leaving only the multinational planes that I listed and that were more active in the beginning of the conflict

On 7/16/2018 at 10:50 PM, LUZITANO said:

I thought of this suggestion with great affection. I had the first contact with the history of the Battle of Finland playing the old IL-2-1946 years ago. The MS 410 was sooo cool. Here my simple suggestion :) 

IL-2 BATTLE OF FINLAND

Hello, I just noticed this thread after hot and tropical summer. Thank you Luzitano that you started this discussion and not always we Finns... or are you? :)

We have planned and also worked with the Battle of Finland, actually we call it Battle of Karelia, over two years. We have ten members in our Karelia Map Project Team, most of them are Finnish but we have also one Russian 3D-artist who has started to create Leningrad's huge buildings, fortresses and churches on last winter. Also our talented Finnish 3D-artist has done tests using 3D scanned data in the production 3D-model from the Castle of Vyborg, it is the symbol of our map project:

battle_of_karelia.jpg

CLICK THE PICTURE ABOVE TO ENTER KARELIA MAP PROJECT WEPSITES!

We have Karelia-websites where you can find very much information from our Karelia map project and also from our experienced and professional team members: Who they are and what they have done with the programs which needed also when making maps to IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles series. We have got the elevation and water files from professional french cartography engineer and we have started to edit coastlines and rivers on last winter when developers show us green light with this map.

Because of the new features which arrived with the Kuban map on last spring (new visibility distances, deepness of the seas etc.) we paused our team work: we don't know the new map specifications and nobody from developers have had time to tell it to our team. I understand that developers are very busy but...  we need some instructions and also tools from developers that we can continue this project seriously. We are going to create this map even tough it takes rest of our lifes! ;)

karelia_front_map1_small.jpg

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 8

8 minutes ago, LLv44_Kanttori said:

I understand that developers are very busy but...  we need some instructions and also tools from developers that we can continue this project seriously.

Which tools do you need? Does BoX use the same map tools that were used for RoF maps?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would dearly love to fly this region again but in the new battles series, I do hope the developers find the time to support your team in this endeavor.:salute:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

Which tools do you need? Does BoX use the same map tools that were used for RoF maps?

With the map making we need mostly Photoshop and we have many pro users of it, that is any problem. But we need most the knowledge how to bring for ex. our elevation, sea,  forests and lake/river files to the Mission editor that we can see how our landscape textures etc. looks in the game. I have read and observed that there are very much same methods with the Rise of Flight map making with the landscape "layers".

I know that maps (terrains) in this simulator are created with the same grayscale and b/w bitmaps like the other flight simulators' maps. I was a member of the Aces High Terrain Team and I created many published "official" maps to the Aces High I and II between 2003 - 2012. I have also worked with the IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 "unlocked" Mission Editor and started with it  the huge or actually "megalomanian" Karelia map.  It was playable (or flyable) when we tested it Online with my squad mates on December 2015.

During those terrain tests I switch to the Battle of Stalingrad and noticed immediately that this is the best and most beautiful WWII flight simulator which I have ever seen... and where I am going to make the final Karelia map. It is going to be also my heritage to Finnish and also all Virtual Pilots in this simulator... after that "thesis" I can some day rest in peace! :salute: :biggrin:

My personal suggestion to plane setup:

IL-2 BATTLE OF KARELIA

Axis
Fiat G.50
Curtiss Hawk 75 A
Brewster B239
Fokker D.XXI
Blenheim IV or Dornier Do17 Z

Allies

I-16 Type early
I-153 early

Curtiss P-40 B Tomahawk
Ilyushin DB-3 or IL-4

icm72074_1.jpg?v=1417401883

0-Profile-Ilyushin-IL-4-4GMTAP-2M87-Whit

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

As far as I understand the information in the Russian forum you will need assistance from the developers to import your map data into the game. If you have problems to get a response from the guys in Moscow, you should contact Jason.

In the past I've downloaded map making tools for RoF and some Russian map building tutorials. If this could be useful for your project, I can send you the stuff I have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LLv44_Kanttori said:

Hello, I just noticed this thread after hot and tropical summer. Thank you Luzitano that you started this discussion and not always we Finns... or are you? :)

We have planned and also worked with the Battle of Finland, actually we call it Battle of Karelia, over two years. We have ten members in our Karelia Map Project Team, most of them are Finnish but we have also one Russian 3D-artist who has started to create Leningrad's huge buildings, fortresses and churches on last winter. Also our talented Finnish 3D-artist has done tests using 3D scanned data in the production 3D-model from the Castle of Vyborg, it is the symbol of our map project:

battle_of_karelia.jpg

I liked the Karelia map project :) 

I'm not Finnish, I'm Brazilian. And personally I think this battle is one of the most beautiful of the Second War, with a very rich and varied set of vehicles

I do not understand much of the geography of the region ... I think that this battle should have at least one main map and a separate smaller one regarding the port of Murmansk

1 hour ago, LLv44_Kanttori said:

IL-2 BATTLE OF KARELIA

Axis
Fiat G.50
Curtiss Hawk 75 A
Brewster B239
Fokker D.XXI
Blenheim IV or Dornier Do17 Z

Allies

I-16 Type early
I-153 early

Curtiss P-40 B Tomahawk
Ilyushin DB-3 or IL-4

In addition to the Battle in Finland, I am making several other suggestions to accommodate vehicles that have also participated in battles between Poland and Malta that could be used in Karelia

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Using 3D scans could speeds up the process considerably (around one hour per building), and offer unseen historical accuracy. It is one aspect we are looking into. Realtime preview of Vyborg castle, optimized for game engine from 3D scan: https://skfb.ly/6v7uJ

Original 3D scan by Andrey Butorin. I believe it was scanned using a drone.

New technology offers interesting options for map makers e.g. model generation from photographs. Of course they need to be still optimized by hand but they are great help.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LUZITANO said:

I liked the Karelia map project :) 

I'm not Finnish, I'm Brazilian. And personally I think this battle is one of the most beautiful of the Second War, with a very rich and varied set of vehicles

I do not understand much of the geography of the region ... I think that this battle should have at least one main map and a separate smaller one regarding the port of Murmansk

In addition to the Battle in Finland, I am making several other suggestions to accommodate vehicles that have also participated in battles between Poland and Malta that could be used in Karelia

Thank you LUZITANO, we do our best and try to create a beautiful map with huge amount of bendy coastlines, rivers, thousands of small lakes and isles, large forestes, swamps and small sand/grass airfields in the middle of those forests! :)

pyorailymatka-suomi-pyoraillen-jarvi-suo

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LLv44_Kanttori said:

battle_of_karelia.jpg

CLICK THE PICTURE ABOVE TO ENTER KARELIA MAP PROJECT WEPSITES!

We have Karelia-websites where you can find very much information from our Karelia map project and also from our experienced and professional team members: Who they are and what they have done with the programs which needed also when making maps to IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles series. We have got the elevation and water files from professional french cartography engineer and we have started to edit coastlines and rivers on last winter when developers show us green light with this map.

Because of the new features which arrived with the Kuban map on last spring (new visibility distances, deepness of the seas etc.) we paused our team work: we don't know the new map specifications and nobody from developers have had time to tell it to our team. I understand that developers are very busy but...  we need some instructions and also tools from developers that we can continue this project seriously. We are going to create this map even tough it takes rest of our lifes! ;)

karelia_front_map1_small.jpg

why not make for start just prof of concept 100x100km area of map (not so populated with citys if posible and using in game buildings if posible) where most air combat happend, and see how it goes, will it work and so on, why go on such big project and make so many new 3D objects without even geting something to show devs and try to get suport from them then. That area north of St Petersburg untill Viipori looks good for example.

This look like long and big project to start with, and its not liike in ¸1946 where you could import map in game and try it on as you work on it, here you can test it only in mision builder and then devs can only import it in game if they like the work, so it will take long time before anyone can play on it this way. Small map would be faster and players could have new area to play over in game faster, untill full map is finished.

i see in this game few projects started and all big but only small velky luky is in game for now, maybe thats the way to go or now

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

why not make for start just prof of concept 100x100km area of map (not so populated with citys if posible and using in game buildings if posible) where most air combat happend, and see how it goes, will it work and so on, why go on such big project and make so many new 3D objects without even geting something to show devs and try to get suport from them then. That area north of St Petersburg untill Viipori looks good for example.

This look like long and big project to start with, and its not liike in ¸1946 where you could import map in game and try it on as you work on it, here you can test it only in mision builder and then devs can only import it in game if they like the work, so it will take long time before anyone can play on it this way. Small map would be faster and players could have new area to play over in game faster, untill full map is finished.

i see in this game few projects started and all big but only small velky luky is in game for now, maybe thats the way to go or now

That is a good point and of course we have thought about it very much. That map above is only an example from the Gulf of Finland's area and we are making a flying prohibition zone to the east like it is in the Battle of Moscow map. In that example map the forbitten zone is 50 km (5 squares) from east and whole Leningrad is under that non-flying zone. Because Lake Ladoga is in the east we must make its coastlines: the big lake is very visible when flying all over the Karelian Isthmus. Maybe in some day we can enlarge the non-flying zone and enable there very important Leningrad's airfields like Lotoshino, Kasimovo, Pushkin etc. I have very much reference photos, airfield maps etc stuff from all those airfields around Vyborg and Leningrad and whole Karelian Isthmus.

Maybe we are going to show a little bit the south coast of Gulf of Finland, there are Estonia and Oranienbaum "motti" and also some important German Jöhvi and Narva airfields near the Estonia's coastline and river Narva. With German airbases our plane setup should be really large containing all the current BOS, BOM and BOK aircrafts. The most important Finnish airfields are in the north: Immola (Detachment Kuhlmey's - summer 1944), Lappeenranta (HLeLv24 - summer 1944) and Taipalsaari (HLeLv34 summer - 1944). So we are going to make the Vyborg town using some custom objects like that Castle of Vyborg. Actually I know Viipuri (Vyborg) like my own pockets because I have created and populated it with 3D objects four times during my four Karelia maps (three versions with big updates are released as official maps in Aces High I and II), so that is not a problem.

Half of that map's area is sea and lakes, so there are actually not very much landscape to work with, approximately the same amount as with the Velikie Luki map. We need some landmarks to Leningrad and we have a good 3D-artist who is working with them. We can also use mostly default Moscow town buildings when populating Leningrad.

As I wrote earlier we are taking this project very seriously, because to us Finnish Virtual Pilots our own Karelia frontline is very important and we want to bring it to that great game. Most of our team members are about 60 years old adult men and we want to fly our own talvisota (winter war) and jatkosota (continuation war) over this map in our becoming pension days... :)

EDIT: I just updated that present time map where you can see the becoming Karelia map's area. The south coast of Gulf of Finland is still open (to be or not to be?) and we think about it... But now you can see the non-flight zone over the Leningrad and east edge of the map:

karelia_front_map1.jpg

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

What's the reason for the  no-fly zone? Performance issues over Leningrad or the amount of work to create detailed buildings for such a large city?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

What's the reason for the  no-fly zone? Performance issues over Leningrad or the amount of work to create detailed buildings for such a large city?

Both those points are the main reasons. We leave it at first as no-fly zone but we can also "open" it later if we have resources to do that. If the official developer team made it with the Moscow map it is most clever to follow their decision with the Leningrad, too. But it also depends on many things: if we (our team) get many volunteer 3D-artists to do the job with light objects we can try to do it! :)

Actually Leningrad was historically non-fly zone to Finnish Air Force pilots: it was totally forbitten to fly at least near the Leningrad's airspace. They didn't want to provoke Russian in any ways and also the flak was massive around the city.

• Like 1

looks good then, good luck as this would be nice area to have in game, as faster you guys get to talk with devs and see what they think about it would be great.

• Like 1

It could be fun trying to find which of the crappy planes in the planeset is the least crappiest! Really, though, good luck on this project. I like the passion you've got for it. Hope you get it into the game. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Looking on the map with airfields, I noticed, that the Luftwaffe airfield at Gatchina (sometimes called Krasnogvardeisk in Luftwaffe documents) is missing. Norbert Hannig writes in his book "Luftwaffe Fighter Ace", that Gatchina was used by JG 54 during the winter because of its paved runway, when operations from the Siverskaya grass field weren't possible.

• Like 1

Im 1/2 Finn' - my mother was a part of the war in Karelia and she was coming to dk as 4 years old - alone , and many chrildren was sent away course   the war the place was horrible ....

Well , I cannot speak Finnish - more than ' kibbis' and 'kaunis tyttö'

And make Long story Short - im in for that game 👍😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has the map area been finalized? It would be nice for us bomber pilots if the map could be extended further north to include Onttola.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 12:10 PM, Juri_JS said:

Looking on the map with airfields, I noticed, that the Luftwaffe airfield at Gatchina (sometimes called Krasnogvardeisk in Luftwaffe documents) is missing. Norbert Hannig writes in his book "Luftwaffe Fighter Ace", that Gatchina was used by JG 54 during the winter because of its paved runway, when operations from the Siverskaya grass field weren't possible.

Hello! I put those blue, red and black Airfield dots quickly "from my memory" and some airfields are missing, sure! Can you please tell me where that a Gatchina airfield situated, I don't remember it?

All the reference material from this front like old aerial photos, airfield maps, airfield buildings' pictures etc. from Russian and German airfields are very welcome to me. I have collected almost all the Finnish airfields material  during 20 years, but you can offer it, too! ;) You can use also private post or e-mail to contact me!  

On 9/9/2018 at 4:14 PM, Arkkimaagi said:

Has the map area been finalized? It would be nice for us bomber pilots if the map could be extended further north to include Onttola.

I live in Joensuu near Onttola airfield and you can be sure that I want that famous old Finnish main bomber airfield to this game but... It is becoming too big map, about 400 km high and 250 km wide. It is ipossible to our resources just now make so huge map. But maybe on future after 5 years... maybe... ;) because I love that airfield! 😄

Here are some information and pictures which I have from my airfield:

Onttola kenttakartta1-icon.jpg

There is one reconstructed Junkers Ju88 dugout and I have measured 10 years ago. Here's my drawing from it:

Onttola konekorsu-icon.jpg

Onttola_asiakirja_pp-icon.jpg

Onttola_ilmakuva04-icon.jpg

Onttola_pp-icon.jpg

Onttola2_pp-icon.jpg

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, LLv44_Kanttori said:

Hello! I put those blue, red and black Airfield dots quickly "from my memory" and some airfields are missing, sure! Can you please tell me where that a Gatchina airfield situated, I don't remember it?

I don't know the exact location, but it's near the town Gatchina (called Krasnogvardeisk from 1929 to 1944), between St. Petersburg and Siversky. You can find an aerial photo here:

https://www.ww2aerialreconstudies.com/leningrad-airfields.html

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2018 at 6:37 AM, Juri_JS said:

I don't know the exact location, but it's near the town Gatchina (called Krasnogvardeisk from 1929 to 1944), between St. Petersburg and Siversky. You can find an aerial photo here:

https://www.ww2aerialreconstudies.com/leningrad-airfields.html

Juri, I found the Gatchina airfield, thanks for the tip!  :)

• Upvote 1

Any news from 1C/777 - Jason & Han and fellows to support this Battle of Karelia work?

The Battle of Karelia would be the long lasting gem of IL-2 Great Battles series like the Forgotten Battles was on old IL-2 series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LLv44_Damixu said:

Any news from 1C/777 - Jason & Han and fellows to support this Battle of Karelia work?

The Battle of Karelia would be the long lasting gem of IL-2 Great Battles series like the Forgotten Battles was on old IL-2 series.

I have sent an e-mail to Jason on last December and he accepted our map plans in his response. I also wrote him on last sunday but I still wait his response, I know he's a busy man. We need a little bit developers support with the map files handling but we are not going to harass Jason and the developers team all the time! :)

Looks interesting guys! I have one question though. Is the Tupolev SB maybe a better fit for the Soviet planeset instead of the DB-3? It was used in larger numbers and is probably easier to make.

Grt M

7 hours ago, I./ZG1_Martijnvdm said:

Looks interesting guys! I have one question though. Is the Tupolev SB maybe a better fit for the Soviet planeset instead of the DB-3? It was used in larger numbers and is probably easier to make.

Grt M

;)I though that they get two aircrafts "easily" when modelling at first the Ilyushin DB-3 and then with some mods it becomes the Ilyushin DB-3F = IL-4. It was used over all the Russian fronts during the Great Patriotic War!

But  we also need Tupolev SB when we are running Winter War 1939 - 1940 missions in the future with that same map! ;)