Kseremak

Turbulence when flying through vortices of air of another plane

7 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Is there a reason for it not be „modelled“ in MP? If I can fly through smoke of an aircraft, why not through propwash?

As far as I remember - I think Han replied in the old questions to developers thread - it puts even more of a strain on the net-code.

3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

As far as I remember - I think Han replied in the old questions to developers thread - it puts even more of a strain on the net-code.

Ah, ok. Didn't know that.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:22 AM, DD_Arthur said:

I don't think there is wake turbulence modelled in the game.  Prop wash is certainly modelled in single-player.

This appears to be just a headshake effect without the turbulence. Does it show up with head shake unticked / in replays in ALT+F2?

4 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

This appears to be just a headshake effect without the turbulence. 

Its not a head shake effect.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

Well, this is how hard Wing Vortices can hit, even from a 6.5ton Aircraft. 

There was a Civil Aviation Accident in France with a 1 ton Dr.400 and an An-2, in which the Dr.400 simply got flipped over on Take-Off killing all 4 on Board. They Recreated in a Controlled Manner. It's quite astonishing to see. 

It was actually an accident in Germany (hence BFU's Involvement - had the accident happened in France, it would have been under the jurisdiction of BEA).

What one should keep in mind is that wake-vortices are mainly dependant on Cl (Ca in German) and hence are strongest at high AoA and large flap-travel (lots of spanwise flow and downwash created, hence lots of vorticity Curling around the wing-tips).

At higher Speeds (hence lower Cl values), while still not insignificant, the effect of wake-vortices is less dramatic.

That doesn't mean that larger aircraft can't turn you upside down (see this accident: http://avherald.com/h?article=4a5e80f3) but recovery usually isn't in jeopady as there is lots of altitude for recovery.

See this Video for the effect of wake-vortices on similarly-sized aircraft (727 and 737) in or close to cruise-configuration:

This study was done in the aftermath of USAir 427, where a 737 went out of Control, following a 727 in config flaps 1 below 190KIAS. It was later shown that wake-vortices played (if any) a minor role and the crash was due to a rudder PCU shuttle-valve jamming in "full"-condition, nose-slicing the 737 out of control. It was later determined that Flaps 1 and 190 KIAS was the "crossover Speed" at this particular weight - that means that the rudder becomes more powerful in Controlling roll than the ailerons below that airspeeds (it's actually an AoA, but that's another story).

Keep in mind this is just for staying inside the vortex-core. If headings are substantially different and transit-times through the Vortex are short, there's just a jolt and you're out of it before you kne what happened.

Propeller-wake is different. It's more of a "broadband" turbulent airstream, that is mostly just annoying and less dangerous per se.