MaverickF22

Tank's gun movement, gun switching and other stuff

Hello,

It's been a while since I've re-entered IL-2 BOM/BOS and I was incredibly happy to notice that we can even control tanks on the ground now. Such a pure aircraft and tanks simulator. This is mind blowing realistic. I've been playing DCS with armored vehicles so far and those are only realistic at weaponry and sensors, while the vehicles driving simulation and physics are arcade like. But here, I see a tremendously well modeled tank driving behavior from all aspects, like tracks and wheels modeling..., we even have a control cabin, I'm just out of words..., different ground grip simulation, environment interaction (trees, etc.). For short, the most realistic tank simulator on earth is here. "World of tanks" has nothing to do with what it should be. IL-2 Sturmovik is the only truly enjoyable world of tanks, first of all because it's meant to be realistic.

Being a real life pilot (private license) and having this game for this very old name that I've enjoyed since 2001 (my first IL-2 Sturmovik series simulator), I cannot believe the passion this simulator brought me now for letting me drive a tank, and at such a realistic simulation...! THANK YOU 1C and 777. Thank you creators of the most realistic flying and ground rolling vehicles on the planet.

Now, leaving aside my long thank you speech, I'd like to address a few things, some which may already be listed for further improvement and some which may not necessarily be improved if not discussed yet.

Here are the things which from my perspective, which may be more or less correct, that's why I'm willing to discuss:

When you get shelled with machine guns by other tanks or simply with lower caliber guns, your whole tank is shaking like it's being shelled by similar caliber as the main gun but with high explosives at a very high rate. That's just how it feels. Now I many not know exactly (probably nobody does without a fair mathematical model and good experimental data) how much should your tank/turret shake when shells hit it, depending on caliber, rate of being hit and type of ammunition, but the image vibration levels that we encounter right now are definitely exaggerated. I mean, small caliber like 7.92mm shouldn't do more than scratch the paint on a tank, yet if some vibration should occur due to a high rate of hits being taken from such machine gun, the turret oscillations (taking the best reference) should barely rotate beyond 0.5 in any direction from the neutral position. How it is modeled right now your image oscillates almost 30 degrees about the 2 axis and it doesn't make any sense. The turret indeed doesn't oscillate when hit by any rounds (yet it should do so for higher calibers like a main gun shot), but only the image, yet it's exaggerated.

Regarding the ability to ride over different stuff of the environment, it's acceptably realistic how the tank may bring down some relatively thick trees, but not being able to bring down a thin wooden wall of a house is probably something that will get fixed sooner or later.

I am not here for the critics and again, the developers have done an incredible job with this game, something that we may rarely see somewhere else, yet I was only hoping that these issues are not getting forgotten or maybe slip unnoticed (the extreme camera shaking for example), otherwise I am all thankful!

Kind regards!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Might not be a bad idea to post this in the Suggestions forum. I'm not sure if you're aware, but a tank game by the il-2 devs called "Tank Crew: Clash at Prokhorovka" is in the works, so I'm sure they would appreciate feedback on the tanks as they will probably be re-working a lot of stuff for that.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

Might not be a bad idea to post this in the Suggestions forum. I'm not sure if you're aware, but a tank game by the il-2 devs called "Tank Crew: Clash at Prokhorovka" is in the works, so I'm sure they would appreciate feedback on the tanks as they will probably be re-working a lot of stuff for that.

Salutations,

And yes, we can look forward to the developers Tank Crew:Clash at Prokhorovks.

Hopefully, they will correct and improve upon the games current tank implementation. Of course we will get many more 'driveable' armored vehicles. 😃

I doubt we will receive a very detailed tank simulation. But, I trust it will be much better than what we currently have. Currently the AI can target opponent units through wooded areas and ground elevations... but the AI cannot fire through elevated terrain, it can spot and fire through wooded areas. Although, that doesn't stop the AI from attempting to fire 'through' elevated terrain . Therefore, they waste ammunition firing 'into' the ground. (not realistic)

Terrain masking simply must be implemented in the upcoming tank module.

Thinking along these lines, I'd like to see a Line Of Sight (LOS) display function added to the mission editor for us belabored mission builders. Currently it is very clunky and time consuming to ferret out areas of the terrain that limits a units LOS to reduce senseless tank or ATG fire.

I don't want much... just everything. :salute:

Edited by Thad

Remember the tanks that we have now were just a fun side project and were not really meant to be taken very seriously or form an official part of the game. Actually I don't think they are a part of the sim officially as they are not mentioned on the main site AFAICR.

So I suspect the ones we will get for TC will be on a whole other level.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Remember the tanks that we have now were just a fun side project and were not really meant to be taken very seriously or form an official part of the game. Actually I don't think they are a part of the sim officially as they are not mentioned on the main site AFAICR.

So I suspect the ones we will get for TC will be on a whole other level.

On the store page, each of BoS, BoM and BoK mention player controlled tanks. They are just for fun and to be honest I've really enjoyed playing with them. 

Edited by Rjel

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Rjel said:

On the store page, each of BoS, BoM and BoK mention player controlled tanks. They are just for fun and to be honest I've really enjoyed playing with them. 

OK I see that in the tick boxes! The tanks we have are very good but they were never a product!  The new TC will take it to the next level for sure!!!!!!!

Edited by AeroAce

Thank you for your time and useful replies guys. Indeed the tanks are not the reason why IL-2 was initially made, but this idea, if later improved will undoubtedly "boom" this game's reputation up as more and more people will see it's potential. If IL-2's engine is powerful enough to allow many things to be done, all we need is ideas to exploit it's potential!

Thank you again IL-2 and it's wonderful developers.