BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 49

Hello.

The first week after the winter holidays has been surprisingly easy and effective. The team has successfully adjusted to our usual working schedule, so I hope will keep doing everything in time and deliver new features regularly. And today we start the new early access session.

This time we bring you some obvious and not so obvious changes. The first significant one is the main Stalingrad map. It's really large and has lots of objects. That's why we need to evaluate your PCs' performance at this map to prepare smart decisions for further optimization.

Also we plan to use this simple way of optimization: remove all unnecessary objects that are out of 50km radius from the mission zone. That should help to reduce system load. So we offer you both options in this session: 1 - has this optimization mechanism with faraway objects removed, and 2 - all objects just remain on their places. Let's see how your PCs can handle the uncut version.

Read more

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

• Upvote 1

Outstanding.......... I may actually get a chance to spend some QT in BoS this weekend.

Ah great. In my opinion the optimization of game assets is always a priority, especially beforehand giving a mission builder, where, logically !!! , we always want all the stuff populating the map :)

Will wait with great anticipation the first MP sessions, but racing low level "red bull race" style amongst the city will be awesome.

Salute !

Don't really understand the graphical preset thing, just put it under an 'advanced' tab and make a warning popup when you're about to change it.

Don't see why you'd block it for users that do know what they're doing with it. There are a couple settings I turn down because I'd rather have the extra performance, but now I can't decide which settings those are anymore?

• Upvote 6

Don't really understand the graphical preset thing, just put it under an 'advanced' tab and make a warning popup when you're about to change it.

Don't see why you'd block it for users that do know what they're doing with it. There are a couple settings I turn down because I'd rather have the extra performance, but now I can't decide which settings those are anymore?

i think that Loft was quite specific in comments regarding this. He also says this is temporary... this is alpha... this is how things are done when HELPING out on development.

• Upvote 2

1z2d102.jpg

Cannot fix it at all no matter what I try. I guess I have to do yet another reinstall...looking forward to new launcher.

1z2d102.jpg

Cannot fix it at all no matter what I try. I guess I have to do yet another reinstall...looking forward to new launcher.

Dude dont re-install. 

The update isnt live yet - no one can get on yet - everyone has that error.

• Upvote 1

I'm also concerned about the removal of custom graphics settings. I was previously able to tweak mine so that they looked almost exactly like max and yet gave me 40 fps instead of 5. We'll see what you did exactly though, perhaps your method works.

• Upvote 1

S!

They were spot on about the "IT experts" part. This is the main cause why people complain about games not working as THEY want after fiddling with stuff, most of times without knowing what they do or fighting against the game engine and/or GPU drivers causing a lot of trouble. Then they blame game and/or hardware/drivers..

One thing that could help, and was asked way back in original IL-2 too, is that devs could do a Tweaking Guide for example. A brief run down on what settings do and what values can be used. Lock those that should not be tampered with and leave those that could be tweaked open. Just an idea..

• Upvote 5

i think that Loft was quite specific in comments regarding this. He also says this is temporary... this is alpha... this is how things are done when HELPING out on development.

He says the specific presets for each setting are temporary, not that the change itself is temporary.

I'd totally understand if it was for beta purposes, but it sounds like this is supposed to carry over into release as well.

S!

They were spot on about the "IT experts" part. This is the main cause why people complain about games not working as THEY want after fiddling with stuff, most of times without knowing what they do or fighting against the game engine and/or GPU drivers causing a lot of trouble. Then they blame game and/or hardware/drivers..

One thing that could help, and was asked way back in original IL-2 too, is that devs could do a Tweaking Guide for example. A brief run down on what settings do and what values can be used. Lock those that should not be tampered with and leave those that could be tweaked open. Just an idea..

+1 for that

• Upvote 1

Many other games have preset graphics options, so this is hardly new.

And, while you may well know a lot about the matter, clearly the team can see that a lot of people really don't, despite their best intentions.

As well as that, some people just can't be bothered trying out every combination to see what works best. Remember, some people see flight sims as just a "game", horrifying as that may seem to many here, so they just want something that works easily.

• Upvote 2

As an IT expert  :ph34r: (40+ yrs experience) I think it's much easier for them to evaluate performance if they/we have those fixed (temporarily) presets... 

• Upvote 9

An "advanced" tab could be a good idea though. It should come with a warning " clicking on this tab forfeits all rights to complain about graphics and graphical performance" ;)

• Upvote 8

S!

Agree FlatSpinMan. But it would help if we KNEW what settings would do if changed. For example some of the conf.ini tweaks were given by Oleg himself and it helped a lot of people, including me, to get the most out of the game. As I said before, a brief guide from devs detailing the settings that could be changed and what they do with given values. This could help people get the most out of the game, especially if not running the hottest hardware out there. Kind of a small extra on top of the presets.

Edited by LLv34_Flanker

Oh, definitely. I think there should be tooltips at least over graphic options. As things are, some of the terms are pretty opaque.

• Upvote 2

I'm also concerned about the removal of custom graphics settings. I was previously able to tweak mine so that they looked almost exactly like max and yet gave me 40 fps instead of 5. We'll see what you did exactly though, perhaps your method works.

I am fearing the same, bro.

Aside from having standard reference settings , might it also be to stop people using very low settings to spot targets earlier? You know, "gaming the game"

• Upvote 1

S!

Again the devs know the inner works of the game engine. They could give some tweaks to be done by players. Let's take an example like water. In original IL-2 you could set a different setting depending on your hardware and it also affected performance. So, you had the hot hardware but still preferred performance over eye candy = you set water to lower setting. Does not give any advantage over other players whatsoever. Same applied to the Forest setting in original IL-2. You could add more trees that made the game look prettier, but again gave no advantage over other players. So I mean tweaks like this, small details that could have a positive effect on performance but no advantage over other settings game play wise. Got the idea? Kind of a fine tune of graphical performance/looks with some of the settings being available for tweaking.

@Flanker - that's fine for the finished game. For a one-third complete alpha they want to lock things down a bit temporarily to remove extraneous factors when trying to analyse performance and defects. Especially makes sense when they're introducing a large map for the first time. I'm sure they'll add ability to tweak back in later.

• Upvote 1

Aside from having standard reference settings , might it also be to stop people using very low settings to spot targets earlier? You know, "gaming the game"

That is what I read in to it as well

• Upvote 1

Dude dont re-install. 

The update isnt live yet - no one can get on yet - everyone has that error.

DOH! too late ah well thanks for the advice, so its a bug, i guess they are gonna resend the update

Clearly Loft and his team have decided that if the graphics settings are unlocked for all to fiddle with, there will be ways that some could use this to gain a competitive edge.

This is often a problem in MP games and it should be applauded that the devs have considered this and brought in this measure to eliminate that aspect.

Agree with this and I can see the devs' reasoning

• Upvote 1

S!

Tektolnes, I hope so :) I for sure would like to have some flexibility in settings that do NOT give an advantage, but could help with performance issues etc. Will try the presets and see how they affect visual and performance, no problem there.

The graphical settings are part of the alpha, lets help the devs by trying out the various before stating what's obvious to us, the IT experts :biggrin: We're going to help out 1C/777 and many end users I think. I don't see why they won't put in an advanced tab later down the line to satisfy those who want to fiddle with the settings, but having a well tested set of presets will help give everyone something to fall back on when things go wrong.

Oh and the whole Stalingrad map? Yipee! Il2 likely next week?

Good move with the settings imo. Looking forward to test it out. I built a new rig last spring - and you guys are putting it to the test. I like it. My part is learning how to fly...

Thanks for the cool diary. 'IT experts...' Glad you adressed it. Some posts in here tend to confuse me a bit.

Edited by White1

Looking forward to trying the new map, although for me will probably be tomorrow before I get a chance.

I will reserve judgement on the new presets until I have a chance to check them out.

I have to agree with the Dev's about the graphical settings.

There is nothing worse than being in a multiplayer dog fight and the person you are fighting has his/her graphics turned down so low its like watching something from Janes US Navy Fighters from 1994 so that they can have "smooth graphics".

Bull. All they are doing is cheating.

I applaud the decisions that 1C and 777 made.

• Upvote 1