widget

Yak-1b series 127 canopy bug

Brief description: Canopy bug
Detailed description, conditions: Rear edge of the sliding canopy section is mismatched with the canopy frame.
Additional assets (videos, screenshots, logs): See attached screenshot.
Your PC config data (OS, drivers, specific software): Win 10, Ryzen 1300X CPU, 16Gb RAM, nVidia GTX1060 3GB graphics card, ASRock mainboard

Yak-1b canopy error.jpg

It is certainly right for some Yaks:

Yak_1_B_N-_N.png

I'm not 100% certain that is a Yak 1B. It is one of the Normandy Niemen Regiment ones, but they also flew Yak 3s if I remember correctly.

Not sure what series of Yak that is Andy, but it proves that the canopy type in game was used and is not a bug as the OP suggests.

Edit... the Yak 3 had a different shaped engine cover just in front of the canopy... if you look at the shape of the OP's engine cover it matches your picture.

Edited by Trooper117

Yeah, I had a bit of a look for more photo's but couldn't find a clear one that was definitely a 1B. Some later Yaks (e.g. the Yak 9 in the Museum of Flight: https://www.skytamer.com/1.2/2006/6372.jpg ) have the perspex ending flush with the frame,  but given what else we know about Soviet aircraft production in the early stages of the war, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a lot of variation, even for the 'same model'. They were generally more concerned with getting them in the air than worrying about minor design details.

2 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Yak_1_B_N-_N.png

I'm not 100% certain that is a Yak 1B. It is one of the Normandy Niemen Regiment ones, but they also flew Yak 3s if I remember correctly.

Its a YAK 1M. That's the aircraft the Normandie Nieman started with in March 43. Ive only ever seen the roundel on this model. Yaks 3s don't have the gill slit or the little vent pipe.

Cpt Albert Littolf ( pictured)was KIA during the Battle of Kursk some several month prior to the Yak3s introduction. This is one of several propaganda photos taken on his 13th Victory (an FW189) on 15th Jun 1943.

Edited by BOO

7 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

Yak_1_B_N-_N.png

Thank you for the photo confirming it's not a bug. I hunted for a decent photo of the Yak-1b canopy online but didn't find this. I incorrectly assumed the Yak-1b had the same middle section canopy design as the later Yak-3, 9 and 50. Interestingly, even though the Yak-50 came much later in the mid-late 1970s, Sergei Yakovlev (son of Alexander Yakovlev) took similar design cues from his father's WW2 birds. eg the faceted front windscreen like the Yak-1, 7, 9, 11 (but sadly not better look of the Yak-3). The 50's rudder is just a larger version of the characteristic Yak fighter tail.

P1010432a_1434348437173.jpg

6 hours ago, BOO said:

Its a YAK 1M. That's the aircraft the Normandie Nieman started with in March 43. Ive only ever seen the roundel on this model. Yaks 3s don't have the gill slit or the little vent pipe.

Cpt Albert Littolf ( pictured)was KIA during the Battle of Kursk some several month prior to the Yak3s introduction. This is one of several propaganda photos taken on his 13th Victory (an FW189) on 15th Jun 1943.

I think there may be some confusion over type identifications here. This source for example states that the Yak 1M designation was only ever applied to a couple of prototypes for what later became the Yak 3. (For what its worth, Wikipedia says the same thing)

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/img/yak1m2.shtml

It is possible that like '1B', the '1M' designation wasn't official, and may well have been used by different people for different things. This Russian article seems to suggest that the aircraft was a Yak 1B though:

http://www.airaces.ru/asy-velikojj-otechestvennojj-vojjny/littolf-albert.html

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

I think there may be some confusion over type identifications here. This source for example states that the Yak 1M designation was only ever applied to a couple of prototypes for what later became the Yak 3. (For what its worth, Wikipedia says the same thing)

http://www.airpages.ru/eng/img/yak1m2.shtml

It is possible that like '1B', the '1M' designation wasn't official, and may well have been used by different people for different things. This Russian article seems to suggest that the aircraft was a Yak 1B though:

http://www.airaces.ru/asy-velikojj-otechestvennojj-vojjny/littolf-albert.html

20 seconds more googling and I would have avoided this humiliation!! :-)  Main thing is, its a Yak 1 and the canopy is correct.  Damn you Wiki!!