Juri_JS

LIONS OF KALININ - scripted campaign

ULzi_Ii1_-_Kopie.jpg

Here's my latest scripted campaign titled "Lions of Kalinin":

http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/download.php?view.989

It's a historical campaign for the Bf-109E7, that takes place during the battle of Kalinin. Everyone who played BlackSix's "Ten Days in Autumn" campaign will be familiar with this battle, though my campaign begins a few days earlier and the focus is on the missions flown by the Schlachtflieger of II.(Schlacht)/Lehrgeschwader 2.

This time I've cooperated with PatCartier who produced the skins and the other artwork for the campaign. The LG 2 Staffel emblems were created by csThor.

Briefings are available in English, German and French.

Requirements:
Il-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow

Installation:
Extract the folder 'data' from the 'Lions of Kalinin.zip' file into the IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad main directory. This will put the missions into the 'IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Campaigns\Lions of Kalinin' folder and the skins into the correct sub-folders in the 'IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\skins\' directory.

Some background information:
The Lehrgeschwader of the Luftwaffe were mixed-formation units tasked with the operational evaluation of new types of aircraft and/or with the development/evaluation of new tactics, but when the war broke out, the different groups were used as regular combat units. II.(Schlacht)/Lehrgeschwader 2 was formed in 1938 as Schlachtflieger unit, specialized on close air support missions. In 1941 it was equipped with the Bf-109E and the Hs-123 and was the only unit of its kind in the Luftwaffe during this time. Initially the Luftwaffe leadership thought that the close support role could be completely taken over by Ju-87 dive bombers, but the experience during the first two years of the war demonstrated the usefulness of low level fighter-bomber attacks in direct support of the troops on the ground and II.(Schlacht)/Lehrgeschwader 2 would later form the nucleus of the Luftwaffe's first Schlachtgeschwader.

Together with parts of Jagdgeschwader 52 and Stukageschwader 2, II.(Schlacht)/LG 2 transferred to Kalinin in mid-October 1941 soon after the Wehrmacht had captured the city. The units Bf-109Es and Hs-123s were based at an airfield south of Kalinin, directly behind the front line. Over the following days the Red Army launched a full-scale counterattack to recapture the strategically important town on the banks of the Volga river and to encircle the German forces, that had already overstretched their supply lines. Whenever the weather conditions allowed, II.(Schlacht)/Lehrgeschwader 2 flew round the clock missions to support the troops on the ground. It played a vital roll in repulsing numerous Soviet assaults and more than once the pilots had to defend their own airfield against enemy attacks.

The photo below shows the units Gruppenkommandeur Otto Weiss, who was the first Schlachtflieger to receive the Knight's Cross and whose aggressive leadership during the fighting around the city earned him the nickname "Lion of Kalinin", which inspired the title of the campaign.

effb9ec41e593d24c48433925a61ac04.jpg

And here's a photo of Georg Dörffel, the Staffelkapitän of the player's unit 5.(Schlacht)/LG 2. Dörffel later became Geschwaderkommodore of Schlachtgeschwader 4 and was killed in action on 26 May 1944 north-west of Rome.

Georg_Doerffel.jpg

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 14
  • Upvote 9

Salutations,

Thanks for the new campaign! I appreciate all of the obvious work and attention to detail you have presented.  :salute:

I see you have primary text for top center and secondary text top left (to avoid text overlap I assume). Maybe consider putting them center top and bottom. On an ultra wide screen having text in a corner is kind of odd. Not a big deal, just a thought! 

Also I notice you delay the mission objective after the text. Shouldn't it be the other way around to assure that by the time the player sees the text the mission objective has already fired?

Thank you very much, Juri! I like your campaigns a lot. Looking forward to play this one! Danke! :rolleyes:

Just flown the first mission, brilliant stuff... I have the tracer mod installed, and it's great seeing all the different tracer colours going everywhere during the action.

plus you can identify your own friendly aircraft firing instantly  :)

Just one point Juri. after the attack I ordered my flight to rejoin and got no response, I then ordered RTB, again nothing... I thought all my guys had been shot down, but didn't see any aircraft going down.

As I was in the circuit to land I heard my flight (Raven) asking permission to land... they weren't dead!

I could give orders on the way to target, plus over the target, but then found I had no control over the flight on the way back... is this by design or is it a bug?

Edited by Trooper117

Bf109 E7 campaign sounds great! It's a fun plane and @Juri_JS knows how to make a good campaign! I look forward to flying it.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

5 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

I could give orders on the way to target, plus over the target, but then found I had no control over the flight on the way back... is this by design or is it a bug?

The reaction to radio commands is something I can't control as a mission builder. So it's probably an AI issue.

• Upvote 1

Is there anything different from Juri's initial download post as he includes all the skins?

Is there additional skins in your download? or have you made changes Pat?

Hi,

they are better because Juri had uploaded a wip version of the skins. It's also my fault because I watered so many different versions^^

So plz check here !

++

EDIT :

There is no need to download the skinpack, it is now correctly integrated into the campaign.
Edited by PatCartier
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes Ladies we just want to get Up there and Hammer it home :hunter:

These missions are the perfect quick burst :joy:

Thanks Juri

Now I think I need to light a cigarette :salute:

unbelievable, again one of these great missions of juri. 

Ich danke Dir vielmals :yahoo:

By the way, if anyone has some good screenshots from the campaign, feel free to post them here.

2 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

By the way, if anyone has some good screenshots from the campaign, feel free to post them here.

BUGGER...

Bugger!.jpg

Edited by Trooper117

49 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

BUGGER...

Bugger!.jpg

See youre flying in your favourite ball gown still..

• Like 1

Some screenshots from Mission No.5:

214wakn.jpg

314qwrr.jpg

2ze9zpd.jpg

15484z5.jpg

xfuh37.jpg

qoudjt.jpg

xnhlb7.jpg

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BOO said:

See youre flying in your favourite ball gown still..

Of course... it's made of large quantities of silk you know!

Some more impressions...

2d7arud.jpg

x5z0j7.jpg

4jrwhf.jpg

2n6vmdx.jpg

j5v2v8.jpg

nx8dxz.jpg

Lots of fun in Mission No.9...

24o7m7s.jpg

2lsh25v.jpg

qqpu81.jpg

257f2gy.jpg

14lsxzl.jpg

• Like 3

Waow, very nice colors, thank you ! You're playing with ultra graphics settings at the top, don't you ?

• Thanks 1

Thank You Sir. :salute:

Yes, despite my aging rig (from 2011, just a decent gpu ) I´m able to max everything out.  The look of the Sim is utterly stunning!

@Juri:JS

thank you very much for this nice campaign!

Thanks for this very naice campaign.

6 of 10 completed mission for me... and a lot of fun 👍

Looks fun. I bet taking on a PE-2 with the Emil is a serious challenge. I need to take a break from the ME and actually play the game for fun not just testing. And this is what I'll be flying. 🤘