Sign in to follow this  
Blitzen

Can photos used in career menu screens be changed?

There are various black & white photos used on the progressive screens in career mode during the process of the flight start that are vintage World War Two photos. I love the career mode  but I am continually scratching my head  to understand how the 777 IL-2 crew chose the photos they did.Many of these photos ( at least on the German side) really aren’t appropriate: some even show B-17 formations , while others German infantry scenes, scattered among Luftwaffe scenes. I’d like to have ( where appropriate) the ability to change these to ALL Luftwaffe photos readily available available on line. This is obviously a small change and an obviously esthetic one, but one I’m sure others might endorse

• Upvote 1

I suspect that the developers could only use photos that were known to be copyright-free.

11 hours ago, Blitzen said:

There are various black & white photos used on the progressive screens in career mode during the process of the flight start that are vintage World War Two photos. I love the career mode  but I am continually scratching my head  to understand how the 777 IL-2 crew chose the photos they did.Many of these photos ( at least on the German side) really aren’t appropriate: some even show B-17 formations , while others German infantry scenes, scattered among Luftwaffe scenes. I’d like to have ( where appropriate) the ability to change these to ALL Luftwaffe photos readily available available on line. This is obviously a small change and an obviously esthetic one, but one I’m sure others might endorse

Most are stock photos that are royalty free, for obvious reasons. I found a few after you mentioned it - swf/il2/careers/bok, bos or bom. Some are located in the phases sub-folders, others (like Next Day) I'm not sure where they are.

Example. This one appears during the German campaign for Kuban if selecting the final phase.

0.thumb.png.438180bfc900b535f127ebbea4d781c5.png

Time for our intrepid modders to come to the fore... I would love to see the pilot pictures changed to something more historical as well, the present pics we have are pretty awful...

Posted (edited)

Despite the Career adhering to historical reality as far as how the war generally went, the actually sorties and missions are dynamic. There`s also the unpredictable element of the Human Player Pilot...

What i`m getting at: having actual real world WW2 pilots in the sim means they could very well be killed in situations when they never were - Personally I don`t have a problem with that since I see the Career as an alternate WW2 where things went slightly differently in tactical aerial combat, but some people get really upset when their `fave` Ace historical pilot gets blown away after mission 2- And making him come back to life after you know he went down in flames would just make it silly.

It`s safer to make the pilots randomly made up  and chances are you`d never fly with the actual real world guys anyway.

Edited by seafireliv

I don't care if Lt SausageKnacker has a portrait of an historical ace... to me he's SausageKnacker and he's in my flight, and if he gets killed then send me a replacement, hopefully in period flying gear... at the moment, the pilot portraits we have have faces that look like they have been cloned from a 'chamber of horror' movie...

9 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Time for our intrepid modders to come to the fore... I would love to see the pilot pictures changed to something more historical as well, the present pics we have are pretty awful...

The portraits aren't actual portraits. It's a silhouette only that then has ears, eyes, hair, a mouth and nose randomized and applied to it. Which is why they look...odd?

It looks like this before any of that occurs.

1.png.3875dd44ac1a6c1f67c1360ab342639c.png

Though I am experimenting with a way to apply actual photographs.

2.png.446555a987307c9c5ee13d657cacfdc8.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

That is positively frightening!!!:help:

But I agree the portraits we have are very weird...and There is something about the German ones that look like they began life as reasonably good looking Slavs who got "modded' up a bit.....

Honestly, I love the portraits. They're characterful! And part of the IL-2 lore as far as I'm concerned, like ridiculous 1946 menu music.

• Upvote 1

Yes, but in the original we all had the ability to change the menu music... I suspect that every man and his dog did exactly that.

I have the standard IL2 on my HD still (unmodded), and I have all music, pilots portraits and pilot skins changed to my liking.

youre understimating the easyness of getting a pretty male or female face rendered

in fact most artists can not get away with the uncanny valley effect which trooper rightly percieves