-332FG-Hank_DG

Is il-2 1946 worth it still?

I'm thinking about picking up 1946 on steam, just wondering if it's still worth it in 2018 (provided i mod it)? I've been really itching to fly a Pacific theatre campaign (can't stand war thunder)

too bad VR isn't supported :/

11 minutes ago, II./JG77_HankDG said:

Haha i was actually just looking at that! Do i need to download all those links on the page?

The newly skinned maps are gorgeous. Look here at

Steven 197106 YouTube channel

to have some impressions: 

Yes download SAS Megapatch, all 16 files and the patches. However I myself downloaded the torrent (includes the 16 files) from here:

http://www.sas1946.com/downloads/essentialsas/diverse/VP_Modpack_Installation_Files.torrent

Edited by sevenless
  • Thanks 1

Not to mention heavies!  The latest  "team daidalos" version (they are to 1946 what team fusion is to CloD) which is 4.13.4 will give you the Pe8, the b24,  the He177...

Yep like CanadaOne i also have IL2-1946 with the B.A.T mod...its HUGE,but its also really quite brilliant

Edited by Adger
  • Upvote 1

Does BAT mod have the same level of graphics and sounds improvements as VP? 

The AI is IL-2 FB 1946 is better than Great Battles (...or whatever they are calling it these days).

• Upvote 2

If you are only into WW2, then VP modpack is probably a good starting point.

Concerning installation issues, if you have the DVD edition try running "a.exe" instead of "setup.exe" to install the game.

:drinks:

Mike

IIRC it's available for $1.99 at GOG currently, so yes... it's not meaning starvation for a week if you buy it ;)

Mike

Sadly, the GoG.com price is back up to $9.99 as of today. Still a great price for the DRM free version, but I jumped at it for $1.99 on last weeks sale.

VP Modpack is for version 4.12.2M only, as far as I know. It's well worth the download, I have four separate installs of 1946, and VP Modpack is the one I play the most. it's WWII only, the maps have been re-textured, and it's just perfect for offline single play, as it has so many campaigns and missions already installed in the pack.

B.A.T. is  very good too, and pretty graphically - but it is a big download, and takes up to 90 GB of drive space. HSFX  is the version I use to fly online (on the rare occasions I fly multiplayer) and I have a stock version of  4.13.4  just for kicks. :)

Good Luck mate - and happy flying!

2 hours ago, Karamazov said:

So I'm still donwloading the VP stuff, a question if I could please, can I install over 4.13.4, or does it need to be 4.12.2m?

Thanks

I downloaded the 4.13.4 version, and then used a "4.13.X Unpatcher" to 4.12.2M , which was small to download and fast to patch. It worked very well, and I added the VP modpack. All seems to be running fine as far as I can tell.

The unpatcher seemed like the easiest (and smallest download) way to go. We have datacaps here too.

Edited by TrellyTB
More info

Chief,

Put all the downloaded VP files into a single folder. It's a multi-part zip, so unzipping the first one unzips them all. (Although it looks like only part 1 unzips.) Just point the zip to the appropriate IL2 install folder.

Well I have been playing for a few days now, on and off. I downloaded the Straight-from-the-Farm mod, which teaches the basics of taking off and landing. I also got the VP modpack, and like what I see so far. It's a huge game with all of these add-ons.

So, the original poster asked whether it is still worth it, and I think it is easily worth the $10 for the DRM free version at GoG.com, and more so when bought on sale for $2.00.

But it all depends on what you want. I just wanted a decent flight sim, WW2 era preferred (variety of planes, yet not fully in the jet era). For me, it's a great fit. Replay-ability is high, quality is good with the mods, and runs well on my middle-of-the-road computer.

Hey II./JG77_HankDG,

Thank you for asking this question. As I have been playing IL-2 since 2004. Even though IL-2 1946 is over 10 years old, it's still worth playing. With the current patch: 4.13.4, you can fly over 300 aircraft ( If you install mods like CUP/BAT, or HSFX, whatever the last one is called, you can fly all sorts of aircraft). Yes, it is old, like the Stalingrad and Kuban maps in BOS are better than the 2 in 1946, some of the damage effects as a result of bullets/ flak are dated, crashes can be unrealistic and unforgiving as any impact above 250km/h on most planes will kill you, if you hit a fence at 5 km/h, you also die. Despite these, it's still worth playing. There is currently a group called Team Daidalos that releases official patches for the game. Since releasing their first patch, 4.08 back in 2007, the team has done a fantastic job as many new aircraft (flyable and non-flyable) have been added like the B-24D, Po-2, SB-2, early Me-110s, SM.79, Hs-129, Pe-8, IL-4, B5N2, etc. Maps such as MTO, Slovakia, New Britain, even the remote Svalbard have been added, some have been/are being updated such as Solomon islands, Moscow were you can fly over the Kremlin, Murmansk. In the future there will be a Channel map similar to Cod, Franz Josef land, Donbass, Tunisia. Future flyable aircraft are MBR-2, He-177, Gladiator II, Dewoitine D.520, C-47, Ju-52. Many effects have been updated in these patches such as bomb fuses, realistic fires, improved graphics, and many other fixes. Comparing 4.13.4 to 4.07, they are almost separate games.

Regarding mods, I tried them a few years ago and I liked the ships and maps that you could download, but I wasn't that fond of several aircraft, mostly the Japanese ones. But hey, there are people out there that love the modded IL-2 1946. I believe that IL-2 1946 is definitely still worth getting as you can jump from Russia to the Pacific. I feel that for now, IL-2 1946 is better than IL-2 Great Battles, but this may change in the future.

Here is a link to what's being added for patch 4.14+ https://vk.com/club120670117:biggrin:

8 hours ago, Novice-Flyer said:

There is currently a group called Team Daidalos that releases official patches for the game. Since releasing their first patch, 4.08 back in 2007

Just a small correction:

The first patch made by Team Daidalos was 4.10, released in 2010.

The patches 4.08 and 4.09 (and the interim publically available beta 4.09b1) were made by 1C:Maddox.

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 9/24/2018 at 11:40 PM, SAS_Storebror said:

Just a small correction:

The first patch made by Team Daidalos was 4.10, released in 2010.

The patches 4.08 and 4.09 (and the interim publically available beta 4.09b1) were made by 1C:Maddox.

Mike

You are correct regarding 4.08 and 4.09b1m being patches produced by 1C Maddox Games but 4.09 was a collaboration of 1C:Maddox games and the Daidalos Team.

4700_td_v4.09m_thumb.jpg

The first patch solely produced under the Daidalos Team banner was 4.10.

Wheels

On 5/1/2018 at 6:06 PM, sevenless said:

The newly skinned maps are gorgeous. Look here at

Steven 197106 YouTube channel

to have some impressions: 

Yes download SAS Megapatch, all 16 files and the patches. However I myself downloaded the torrent (includes the 16 files) from here:

http://www.sas1946.com/downloads/essentialsas/diverse/VP_Modpack_Installation_Files.torrent

Cut my teeth on IL2 1946 and loved it.  Now play IL2 box.  But I miss all the planes that were in IL2 1946. The reason I fly IL2 BoX is the servers are populated. Are there any servers that are populated for IL2 1946? (when I say populated I mean numbers like 50 to 70 players)

Cheers Metabo

21 hours ago, CIA_Metabo said:

Cut my teeth on IL2 1946 and loved it.  Now play IL2 box.  But I miss all the planes that were in IL2 1946. The reason I fly IL2 BoX is the servers are populated. Are there any servers that are populated for IL2 1946? (when I say populated I mean numbers like 50 to 70 players)

Cheers Metabo

I see 50 players in hyperlobby right now, some fly 4.13, most fly 4.12.2 with mods

https://hyperfighter.sk/

Edited by 334th_Ripper*

You forgot to mention that at the time of writing your message, 10 out of the 50 were flying Ultrapack 3 RC4 + Patch Pack, which is a 4.10.1 based game actually ;)

4.13 biggest "feature" unfortunately is that TD managed to break backward compatibility all over the place (again).

If they'd give just a tiny little flying f*** for modder concerns, IL-2 1946 could have another 10 years or even more of a bright future ahead.

However, reading what's being planned for 4.14 rather gives rise to concerns that they'll complety mess it up.

Mike

On 2/11/2019 at 10:20 AM, SAS_Storebror said:

If they'd give just a tiny little flying f*** for modder concerns,

Ignorance like this kind of hurts the relationship between developers and modders. You have no idea what lenghts the folks went and still go. Despite of the huge amount of crap they got from some of the more vocal modders over the years.

My opinion is that 1946 could probably have had 10 more years had all the core features braking backwards compatibility been implemented no matter what instead of leaving them out or rewriting them for the instant benefit of keeping more of the mods alive.

So let's agree to disagree.

I do have an idea of what the folks went through, actually I'm working together with some of them on a personal level and one of my oh-so-bad mods made it into the "official" 4.13 release.

If you believe the game would do better without mods: Dream on.

Mike

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

If you believe the game would do better without mods

Not what I said.

Greetings to all .

I just made the jump to BoX Series and it's definitively great. I love the career mode. But i won't let go my trusty Il-2 1946 4.12.2 install with the vp-media modpack (and countless mods on top). Just finished a DCG campaign mission with more than 70 planes left after the action ! Runs incredible smooth and still looks amazingly good .I doubt there will be any sim around you could individally customise in a comparable way for years to come.  Flying a Me-109 F4 does feel astoundingly similar in both sims. And then there's still Rof...All three sims are great, couldn't decide which one i like most,  my only problem is lack of time .So i kicked the fourth one.

YES WORTH IT !!!      I fly IL-2 1946 with the BAT mod. ,  it is superior in every sector on BoX ( except for the graphics ).

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I've been playing this a lot and to say it's a far better game is kind of crazy to me, the flight models aren't even close, the graphics are obviously not even close, but that's to be understood, the AI for all I heard about how great it is really is not that great, you can never keep up with your flight, it's just not possible on some planes, they fly maxed out while you sit around overheating with the completely undermodeled engines, flying at 1.4 ata full rpm the entire flight or needing to fly at 1.4 ata just to maintain a cruise speed is completely ridiculous. Your wingman will literally roll vertical on their side and continue flying perfectly straight randomly, there's a lot of stuff going on that lends itself to larger battles because everything is so simplified. Not to mention how small most of the maps are, some of them shockingly small. The detail on the terrains is extremely barren, starting a campaign in VP modpack your airfield is equipped with a tower, that's it. 

Think a lot of people just like to hate on the new stuff when it clearly does so much far better. You might as well turn off advanced engine modeling in 1946 because all you need to worry about is overheating when pushing the throttle past 100%, never need to touch rpm, never need to mess with the radiators, no mixture settings, very, very basic modeling. The game as a whole is very fun, but it's complicated to get certain things working. BOx is much easier to get online and flying, and the career mode just works, messing with DCG and dgen, it's all a crap shoot.

It's a very fun game to go back to and tinker with however and is definitely worth the money.

Edited by JonRedcorn

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, SAS_Bombsaway said:

Just curious Jon, what version of 46 are you running?

I have 2 versions, stock latest version, and 4.12 or whichever is the patch that you use with VP modpack, including the flybys addon, and DCG mod for vp. Flying both DCG campaigns and Dgen. Both leave a lot to be desired really. Dgen cause it's tiny engagements, and DCG due to its complicated nature, was doing a FW 190 campaign first missions always the same and its a small hop to another airfield, there's 50 FW 190s all with massive droptanks... Not sure we'd be using droptanks to fly 2 miles south.

Another thing I keep getting MISSION COMPLETE slapped across the screen after about 5 minutes into most campaign missions, nothing ever happens, we just fly missions complete, head home. That's annoying to say the least.

Also having to fly with the engines running so hard really kills the immersion for me. I love the big battles, but basically having the plane on full blast the entire flight is pretty darn lame. Running say 1.1 ata at 2300 rpms in a 109 f4 in il2 box you'd be doing like 430 kph in 1946 you'd be doing about 200kph.

Don't get me wrong I like it quite a bit, have probably put more hours into it lately than box but it's got its limitations, and they are mostly to do with flight modeling and engine modeling.

Edited by JonRedcorn

I would suggest you try BAT. Updates for this version come out often and the SAS guys really are trying hard to make it as best as possible. BAT has the best of mods including planes, ships, weather and so much more. VP mod pack is good but you get so much more with BAT. The Golden age of flight, WWI, WWII, Korean war and up to modern day aircraft. All in different modules to chose from in one game.

Now you have to understand the age of the game and it's game engine so it wont be as nice as BOS but it can be very fun.

• Upvote 1

Yes it's a bit dated... but when it came out there was nothing else that could hold a candle to it at that time.

It was 'the' combat flight sim to have... years down the line it's easy to criticise it, but without it you probably wouldn't be playing BoX.

To be honest, it still gives the user so many options to play the game the way 'you' want to play it.

Oleg Maddox... I for one salute you!

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SAS_Bombsaway said:

I would suggest you try BAT. Updates for this version come out often and the SAS guys really are trying hard to make it as best as possible. BAT has the best of mods including planes, ships, weather and so much more. VP mod pack is good but you get so much more with BAT. The Golden age of flight, WWI, WWII, Korean war and up to modern day aircraft. All in different modules to chose from in one game.

Now you have to understand the age of the game and it's game engine so it wont be as nice as BOS but it can be very fun.

I wanted to give it a try but the download is massive, I use to be real into tweaking and modding, but these days I really have to push myself to delve in, but it's usually worth it, I will download bat and give it a try, VP modpack was my choice since people were saying if you want ww2 then VP is the way to go, I was sort of put off with the jets and other crazy eras, I like my ww2. I love all the il2's there is nothing else in the world like em.

Does DCG work with bat?

All I have to say is thank god for the torrent links, or I'd have to download a metric shitton of files. This mod is HUGE! Thank the lord for all the kind people still uploading it getting a flying 20mb/s!!

Edited by JonRedcorn