Would you buy a premium I-153 Tchaika? Here's why you should!

Would you buy a premium Polikarpov I-153 Chaika  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a premium Polikarpov I-153 Chaika

• Yes!
    • No!
    • I might consider it since this is an important plane for a respectable Eastern Front air combat sim
    • I might consider it since I'm a big Biplane fan
    • No way I'm a German fanboy!

On 22 June 1941 the I-153 made up one third of the Soviet fighter forces in the western parts of the Soviet Union, accounting for around 1,500 of the 4,226 fighters available at the start of the German invasion. A vast number of aircraft were destroyed in the first few days of the fighting, but enough I-153s survived for them to play a major part in the early part of the fighting, and they were responsible for most of the 800 German aircraft claimed between 22 June and 5 July. The I-153 remained in use as a front line fighter until early in 1942, but by then very few aircraft were still intact, having been lost in the air, on the ground and while acting as ground attack aircraft. The surviving aircraft remained in use in secondary roles into 1943, although they were also used as ground attack aircraft. By the middle of 1943 the Red Air Force only had 36 I-153s on its strength. A few remained in service in the Far East as late as 1945.

Source : Rickard, J (14 December 2010), Polikarpov I-153 Chaika (Seagull) , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_polikarpov_I-153.html

As you can see in this article this plane had the same engine as the I-16, there was a modification armed with two ShVAK 20mm cannon (rather rare but still eligible for a modification in game) and another with two 7.62mm and one 12.7mm machinegun, the "default" version being armed with four ShKas machineguns just like the I-16 exept these were all placed around the engine.

The plane could also be fitted with small bombs and rockets for ground attack.

So the question is simple, would you buy this very maneuvrable biplane and give the Fritzes hell with it? Or would you rather not? Or just maybe?

Feel free to explain why you are interested or not.

On a more personal note this sounds like a lot of fun to me and I've always felt this plane was greatly missing after BOM release.

Sorry for the long post here's a couple of Seagulls.

pri_41302824.jpg

i153-2.jpg

Edited by Hauggy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

Definitely! I would also like an early war map to go with it. Moscow is right at the end of its usefulness.

A Khalkhin Gol / Nomonhan scenario would be just the job - but I suppose it wouldn't be commercially viable; the Lufties would have nothing to interest them, neither would the late-war fighter jocks. Suit me down to the ground though.  I-16 type 10/I-15bis/I-153/R-5SSSS/SB-2 v Ki-27b/Ki-10-II/Ki-30/Ki-36/Ki-21

• Upvote 1

Maybe for playing offline but when I look at the number of people who refuse to play in any map where they only have an I-16 then I can't help thinking it would be wasted.  Many people have played BoX for years and still don't even own BoM despite the sales.

• Upvote 1

We have a winner :lol:

Somebody actually picked the German fanboy answer!

Oh and Mr Teufel that's the thing I don't want to play War Thunder Im talking about my favorite sim here otherwise I would do exactly that ya know...

Edited by Hauggy
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, claw said:

Instant buy!!

(followed by hoping for the Hs123)

Sounds good although I'm not sure if the Hs123 would be relevant as it saw very very limited use on the eastern front.

18 minutes ago, Hauggy said:

Sounds good although I'm not sure if the Hs123 would be relevant as it saw very very limited use on the eastern front.

There were very few Hs123 on the eastern front. But they soldiered on into 1944 and participated in several major battles. But who can resist a biplane mudmover with a big radial in front!

Yes....for sure, great idea

7 hours ago, Vig said:

I would like an MC.200 to go with it, too! 

+1 for the MC.200. Any variety for the Axis side would be a welcome change from the 109

==============

And in the meantime, if someone handy at making missions could put together a little ground attack scenario in the Caucuses with the I-16, so that we can get a taste of what the I-153 was doing there historically that would be much appreciated

Edited by Pict
  • Like 1

I definitely would buy it if it becomes available.

Of course the price should be reasonable, but anything in the range of ~ $20 would be okay.

I'd also buy the MC.200 and the Do-17 which was discussed elsewhere FWIW.

I have a certain hang on "underdog" planes, the more the merrier :good:

Cheers:drinks:

Mike

1 hour ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Of course the price should be reasonable, but anything in the range of ~ $20 would be okay.

Mike

I would love a Battle Over Bessarabia with early Yak-1, I-152, I-153, Su-2 vs Iar80, 109E4, pz11, ...

6 hours ago, SAS_Storebror said:

Mike

Ditto on the underdogs, I love them.  I have fond memories of one occasion in my old (original) IL2 squadron (Hell's Gazelles) where *everyone* flew PZL's all night!  :)

23 minutes ago, Vig said:

Ditto on the underdogs, I love them.  I have fond memories of one occasion in my old (original) IL2 squadron (Hell's Gazelles) where *everyone* flew PZL's all night!  :)

Agreed moreover the reason I find the underdogs more interesting is because they really teach you to be a better pilot, personally learning defensive combat in Soviet planes helped me to become more vigilant of my surroundings and to progress a lot so I could raise way above the average player.

Such planes have the merit of making pilots resourceful and actually the highest scoring ace Ivan Kozhedub started his career by flying in this very plane.

Unfortunately I was a bit too young and didn't have a PC back when 1946 was still good enough for my taste and widely popular but I bet you had a ton of fun. :) 

Edited by Hauggy
  • Upvote 1

Down here in Poll section we got few of these priority based answers. I really would love this plane in this sim. Mostly because I think this sim will suit it fantastic. It will be extremely nice to fly. A HS 123 to go with it and Caucasus mountains. I would never leave that paradise. 

We will looses a lot of great pre/ earlywar designs if we just move forward

• Upvote 2

Absolute must have, fits everywhere for the current eastern maps and if 3rd party map builders are given a chance who knows what might happen.:cool:

Ideal for the Finnish Gulf if we ever get a map, hint, hint.;)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Upvote 2
51 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Down here in Poll section we got few of these priority based answers. I really would love this plane in this sim. Mostly because I think this sim will suit it fantastic. It will be extremely nice to fly. A HS 123 to go with it and Caucasus mountains. I would never leave that paradise. 

We will looses a lot of great pre/ earlywar designs if we just move forward

So true that would allow us to have some nice scenarios in the Caucasus moutains.

3 hours ago, PA_Spartan- said:

I made a new poll to see if this plane can beat the other candidates .... 

Nice bit of 'subliminal' stuff going on there with the picture! Ha! Ha! ;)

17 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

A HS 123 to go with it and Caucasus mountains.

The 123? The precursor to the Stuka, I believe? Great solid plane with a lot of nasty capabilities!!

The again, we ARE very fortunate to have the planes we've already got for sure. These little devils would be a surefire icing on the proverbial cake for sure!!

• Like 2