69thSpiritus_Mortem

TFS Update: Tobruk v.2

Posted (edited)

Just a few shots of some more new objects as well as the Cr.42 cockpit. 

Corrections on the AI continue and we have organized specific areas of importance to check and test first. Kling is fronting this effort and we are hoping to have more news on this front in a couple weeks. The issue of AI vehicles not crossing bridges is also on the top of the list for AI issues and a possible fix looks promising. 

We are also close to finishing a simple implementation of HRTF to all the sounds in the bank. Our sound guy has also been introducing blasts and tails into the new bank which will provide a dynamic effect based on the distance of the player from an explosion or artillery / heavy gun sounds. Lastly,  by using various layering techniques we've managed to create a sound which we believe is more similar to the Browning .303 from 4.312.

Until I can get moderator status and upload more than 5mb, you will have to visit the following thread for all the screenshots:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28565&p=310249#post310249

AIRCRAFT:

Cr.42 cockpit is finished and being imported. The Gladiator cockpit has been finished and imported, so these two new aircraft should make for some interesting scenarios over the desert (FYI, the W_Diffuse [panels, rivets, etc] is not rendered on the exterior model).

CR42_535.thumb.jpg.49ed8ecce4a66ef90dc738de02596816.jpgCR42_532.thumb.jpg.af30b9fd5d52023b28719b8f4ad00297.jpg

CR42_536.thumb.jpg.ff4779100d800e3d06bd9c2fca04adca.jpg

CR42_537.thumb.jpg.36ddffd16adc020c5649b498c3aae86b.jpg

MAP:

The map team continues to build the Tobruk map and place objects. Using historical maps they have began plotting the airfields across the map. This does not show all planned airfields. 

aluyfCY.thumb.jpg.1c8ee837d02ee1dfda466f58cdc8483d.jpg

STATIC OBJECTS: 

A few new static objects for both the Tobruk map as well as the channel. 

Oast house: Will replace a good amount of the windmills in locations where they should, such as Kent. 

OastHouse_05.thumb.jpg.036cd4b1528e977c0d2236ac586ae898.jpg

OastHouse_07.thumb.jpg.ed124c492a883869294d7c25c5fdca02.jpg

North Africa hanger (includes a non-wind damaged skin). See link at top of post.

Makeshift Lorry Shelter. See link at top of post. 

Edited by 69thSpiritus_Mortem
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Coming along nicely, thank you very much for the update, really appreciated.:cool:

Looking forward to this, always did like the desert campaigns in IL-2 1946, will be interesting to try the Cr-42 and Gladiator.

Just wondering how exactly TF.5 will be released, will we get the completed item once it is finished or are you going to go along the current battles series route of pre-order with updates as and when available?

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

I am going to be dead meat in a CR 42 or a Gladiator for a long time, occasional wellington pilot also. I gonna spend hours and days spinning earthward to a glorious virtual death

Posted (edited)

Thanks SM.

As well as moderator privileges the Clod dev updates need sticky-ing and treating like Han's 777 developer posts - one locked thread for the post, one for discussion. 

Edited by BOO
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

The issue of AI vehicles not crossing bridges

Seems this issue is in bridge 3D - bridge level are above the terrain around. Sometimes (rare) a big wheels truck are able to "jump" over this invisible obstacle and cross the bridge.

Don't help too the fact that at some point the code for roads don't match roads graphics anymore. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sokol1

Posted (edited)

awesome pictures of the Cr.42 :D

i've noticed a few ships screenshots there, but i don't think i've actually seen one of a carrier yet?
is the martlet going to have carrier ops? it's the thing that excites me most about TF5 :D
and about that, how's the work on the Martlet going? any new cool updates? :D
I don't think i've seen anything about it in a while, or i might have just missed the update post about it? ^^

Edited by No.54dixx

19 minutes ago, No.54dixx said:

awesome pictures of the Cr.42 :D

i've noticed a few ships screenshots there, but i don't think i've actually seen one of a carrier yet?
is the martlet going to have carrier ops? it's the thing that excites me most about TF5 :D
and about that, how's the work on the Martlet going? any new cool updates? :D
I don't think i've seen anything about it in a while, or i might have just missed the update post about it? ^^

No Carrier ops Dix - The Marlets are a land based variant.  Correct for the period. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, No.54dixx said:

is the martlet going to have carrier ops? 

Land based Marlet.

Edited by Sokol1

Disagree on Hurricane IIc : 

As one of 43 Squadron's night intruder pilots Harry Lea puts it:

"The Hurricane IIC was a splendid aircraft for the job in hand. It had range with its two 45 gallon wing drop tanks, excellent armament with four 20 mm cannon, and it was a tough, solid aircraft that could withstand a great deal of punishment and still survive. This later point was proved at the Dieppe Raid when we suffered severely from ground fire and all but two aircraft returned, of which five sustained varying degrees of damage, one of these you would wonder how it managed to stay in the air".

There were three features which particularly distinguished the intruder Hurricanes from the ones flown by 1 and 43 Squadrons in the Battle of Britain: colour, armament and fuel.

14 hours ago, 69thSpiritus_Mortem said:

Yes, the Martlet will be based off of land bases but could be carrier capable.

Once I can show updates on it, I will. 

why cant u update??? u made the plane right???when was last time team f actually showed it like a year ago??? by now surely u have vid of it flying in game at least as wip???

41 minutes ago, Ste_Smith said:

why cant u update??? u made the plane right???when was last time team f actually showed it like a year ago??? by now surely u have vid of it flying in game at least as wip???

Obviously the release date is not near so they show the stuff gradually so people have something to see.

Who knows maybe we'll see it next month.

Just now, Hauggy said:

Obviously the release date is not near so they show the stuff gradually so people have something to see.

Who knows maybe we'll see it next month.

Hauggy,

I'm not sure if TFS will trickle feed Torbruk stuff or will just release it as one big patch with that patch being TF5.0 North Africa (assuming that Tobruk is part of that up-date and not another NA campaign).  However, from this sentence from a post from Buzzsaw on ATAG forum, I was expecting TF5.0 to be released next year, with TF5.0 being a big update with Tobruk, but of course this might all change, so hopefully one of the TFS guys might be able to clarify that for you/us.

"And about the same time, or even perhaps before Bodenplatte comes out, you may see TF 5.0, our North African release appear."

Regards

Haza

think he ment the info not the actual game patch when he said gradually...??? seems pretty obvious to me that team f wont release tf5 till next year at earliest and will be in one big bang

Posted (edited)
Just now, Ste_Smith said:

think he ment the info not the actual game patch when he said gradually...??? seems pretty obvious to me that team f wont release tf5 till next year at earliest and will be in one big bang

Oh Ok, thanks for the clarification, although in saying that, I thought the up-dates from Spiritus were rather good and informative, so far.

I realise perhaps off topic, but you might find the following of interest, if you haven't already found this link

https://www.youtube.com/user/TeamFusionMod/videos

Regards 

Edited by Haza

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, 69thSpiritus_Mortem said:

Yes, the Martlet will be based off of land bases but could be carrier capable.

Once I can show updates on it, I will. 

Great! looking forward to it!!
i asked because i think i was told somebody was working on a carrier, but it being at least carrier capable (unless it just means that it has an arresting hook) still keeps the hope alive :D

1 hour ago, Haza said:

Hauggy,

I'm not sure if TFS will trickle feed Torbruk stuff or will just release it as one big patch with that patch being TF5.0 North Africa (assuming that Tobruk is part of that up-date and not another NA campaign).  However, from this sentence from a post from Buzzsaw on ATAG forum, I was expecting TF5.0 to be released next year, with TF5.0 being a big update with Tobruk, but of course this might all change, so hopefully one of the TFS guys might be able to clarify that for you/us.

"And about the same time, or even perhaps before Bodenplatte comes out, you may see TF 5.0, our North African release appear."

Regards

Haza

mmm yea but keep in mind TF5 is not a patch, nor an update, it'll be a DLC 
so yea it'll come as one big package 

On 8/4/2018 at 1:10 PM, BOO said:

No Carrier ops Dix - The Marlets are a land based variant.  Correct for the period. 

Ok, but in September 1941 the HMS Audacity was operating from Gibraltar with Martlets on it.

It didn't get to Tobruk, but in that period a carrier with martlets was already operative. 
It would be awesome to have that option, the last sim providing ww2 carrier ops was IL2 1946, and who knows how far away IL2 Battle of Midway is :(

Edited by No.54dixx
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Haza said:

Hauggy,

Regards

Haza

4 hours ago, Ste_Smith said:

Yes that's what I meant I could have been more clear to be fair. :)

Hopefully we'll get a release just before the end of the year, I understand it's going to take a bit of times especially to finish such a huge map, which is not the entirety of north Africa clearly correct me if Im wrong but the map is "just" a part of eastern  Lybia and maybe a tiny bit of Egypt but certainly not "North Africa" as the entire desert war took place in a much larger area.

Anyway like somebody said earlier we have more than we need for scenarios comprising the pretty much entire desert war itself but I doubt we'll see more just compare the map to a satellite view on Google maps like I did.

Anyway the cool part is there is the possibility of a Syrian map maybe later featuring Vichy French AF against the RAF when the British empire came to take over the Middle East.

Edited by Hauggy

9 hours ago, Haza said:

, I was expecting TF5.0 to be released next year, with TF5.0 being a big update with Tobruk, but of course this might all change, so hopefully one of the TFS guys might be able to clarify that for you/us.

Also my understanding. They released 4.5  around x-mas 2017 and nothing new will show up before x-mas 2018. Although they have access to the code by now, they are part time developers and have to make a living with their real jobs. So they develop in their free time, which is to be applauded, on a game which was abandoned by the publisher in 2012. I hope 2019 will bring us some Tobruk flying. All the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Also my understanding. They released 4.5  around x-mas 2017 and nothing new will show up before x-mas 2018. Although they have access to the code by now, they are part time developers and have to make a living with their real jobs. So they develop in their free time, which is to be applauded, on a game which was abandoned by the publisher in 2012. I hope 2019 will bring us some Tobruk flying. All the best.

Yes, due to the fact that most of the people who got 4.5 got it for free I doubt TFS made much money on it so hopefully after 5.0 when they get lots of purchases we will see an increase in development pace.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hauggy said:

...but the map is "just" a part of eastern  Lybia and maybe a tiny bit of Egypt but certainly not "North Africa" as the entire desert war took place in a much larger area.

The map  - from Gazalla to Mersa Matruh, fit well for Africa Korps offensive in 1941.

35552475142_afd524c9df_b.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sonnenblume#/media/File:WesternDesertBattle_Area1941_en.svg

1941 desert war happens in this "tiny bit" of North Africa,  south of Bir Hacheim only British commands operate - area not relevant for air operations.

I am a bit afriad about that small part of land next to egypt :/ It feels so little that you will easly fly behind it and see that "you are leaving the battlefield" thing or something, wish it would be a tile or 2 bigger.

Anyway do you have any plans for sea warfare? Are there going to be uboots attacking convoys, smaller vessels shooting at other ships etc?

Posted (edited)

Are there any official estimations, when TF 5.0 will be launched?

Edited by II./JG77_Kemp

45 minutes ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

Are there any official estimations, when TF 5.0 will be launched?

TFS policy is not to give timescales or deadlines. 

@Inprogress, yes, if you look at the first update on Tobruk from a couple weeks ago, we posted a couple shots of a few new shipping options, one of which is a U-boat. 

@Kemp, like mentioned, we do not give out release dates. We have agreed on a date within TFS though. 

spiritus - any answer on why u cant post new updates on martlet???keen to see what last year has changed...  

Most work on a plane is surely not visible in the model so I think you expect a little much to see what's happened during a year by visuals.

perhaps but thats not the way he made it out...it sounded like something prevents team f from giving update and i simply want to know what that thing is or that it has gone away and this is where they are with it...not difficult stuff really???

Posted (edited)

Well I painted myself into a corner. Haha flight sim community misses nothing. :)

All I can say is updates on the Martlet are pending approval. Don't worry though, I am the artist assigned to it and have been burning the candle at both ends on it, it has not gone away or been halted, far from it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

thx. dont really understand what u mean by approval...sounds misterious but i get that is all im getting lol...

18 hours ago, ATAG_Flare said:

so hopefully after 5.0 when they get lots of purchases we will see an increase in development pace.

I really wonder if there will be a great amount of interest in 5.0 by the time of it's release.

Since TFS are developing planes which will be exclusively for the channel map, ie the Spit. Mk Vb, bf109F1, etc. wouldn't it be better to release those asap to keep a bit of interest in this sim going between now and the release of TFS5.0 around the turn of the year?

I'm really not sure if TFS "leadership" is aware of it but Cliffs is falling off a cliff right now if player numbers are anything to go by.  I understand that by releasing these planes sooner they would be diluting content from TFS 5.0 but I think at this point they really need to do something....anything....to keep some interest up.

We've just seen early work on Spitfire mk. IX and 109G14 models for Bodenplatte.  Soon we're going to be seeing w.i.p. shots of P47's. 

TFS are going to be left behind.........

Understand this isn't any sort of gloating or forum bs.  I only have flight sims on my pc.  I'm not interested in shoot 'em ups, roman legions or dungeons and dragons.

If TFS go belly up I get less to play with.......:(

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

Since TFS are developing planes which will be exclusively for the channel map, ie the Spit. Mk Vb, bf109F1, etc. wouldn't it be better to release those asap to keep a bit of interest in this sim going between now and the release of TFS5.0 around the turn of the year?

Aren't those being developed for Africa, though their non-trop variant will be available to use on the channel map. So not exclusive. Plus I don't believe just shoving a Vb and 109F into the channel map will do a great deal for player numbers. Might for a little, but not long term. And regardless of seeing work on IXs and 109G14s, Bodenplatte is still a long way off.

Edited by 9./JG52_Sturm

16 minutes ago, 9./JG52_Sturm said:

Aren't those being developed for Africa, though their non-trop variant will be available to use on the channel map. So not exclusive. Plus I don't believe just shoving a Vb and 109F into the channel map will do a great deal for player numbers. Might for a little, but not long term. And regardless of seeing work on IXs and 109G14s, Bodenplatte is still a long way off.

From Buzzsaw

"The following planes released with TF 5.0 will be intended for exclusive use on the Channel map:

Spitfire IIB

Spitfire VA

109F-1

And of course, the 190A-1/A-2/A-3 will be exclusively for the Channel map when they appear.

And the tropical versions of the various types will not be intended for use on the Channel map... neither will field mods like the two cannon 'light fighter' version of the Hurricane IIC which was used in the Med.  Neither should the 'strafer' version of the Blenheim IV be used on the Channel map."

Might increase player numbers for a little, but not long term?  Quite possibly but at this time I'd say anything is better than nothing.  Bodenplatte a long way off?  Final release certainly but we're going to get a steady stream of bug fixes, updates and aircraft releases through this year and the map team, whilst no doubt very busy, have now had around five months working on the Bodenplatte map itself.

I suspect that might become available in early access around the time TF5.0 is ready for release..................

Thanks to the miracle of Steam I can tell you that right now, worldwide, a magnificent thirty-nine people are playing Cliffs:huh:.   There seems to be no sign of any pending updates or bug fixing patches in the immediate pipeline.  If they can't release content sooner for whatever reason then I would suggest they really need to do some sort of PR.

Without Mysticpuma handling this stuff they really are floundering in this department.    They need to generate some interest.  Any update is nice but I would suggest posting pictures of Oasthouses,  a meaningless section of north African map and telling us they have agreed a release date amongst themselves but won't reveal it publicly does not excite the punters.

Is it not possible now to post some wip videos of the Wellington being flown from the cockpit or an external of a  cannon armed Spitfire or Bf109F at least flying in the sim?  

Just sit tight until the release of 5.0 sometime later this year or early next?  I rather think the stable may well be empty by then.................

Posted (edited)

At this point I can't remember how many times we have responded to the want for a release of certain planes DLC before 5.0. Nothing has changed. It isn't up to TFS. 

Regarding PR and updates, I've done two updates the last few weeks showing numerous items. If I just showed off the Cr.42 on the last one, and the Wellington turret on the previous one, people would complain about the lack of info on other things. It really is a damned if you do, damned if you don't job so I'll continue updating every section. Next week's update will include another new plane, but I'll also include more info on the map, AI routines, and other ground objects. 

As far as signs of updates or patches, I stated that I'll be doing updates every other week last month, so I'm not sure what else I can do to notify people of upcoming updates. The AI routines are being fixed and will be released when finished before 5.0, and will include other corrections, so that is an upcoming patch fix. Once the AI routines go into Beta testing, you'll know the patch is close. 

You suggest we need to do some type of PR. I'm open to suggestions. I'm answering questions here, ATAG, ACG, Steam, and FB Monday through Sunday, as well as doing updates every other week while modeling/texturing. Won't even mention my two real life jobs. What else would you like me to do? Not being argumentative here, I'm seriously asking what your suggestions are, if I can do them then I will. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Regarding the player numbers. Player numbers are lower than they have been at previous times, but that isn't unexpected. Many people fly other sims and play other games. There is always an ebb and flow, especially with Kuban releasing with new aircraft. The numbers aren't bad though. Since we have our Beta server running on ATAG, we are able to see the numbers on the servers and monitor them.  ACG is a big base for CloD and the numbers below do not include them, these are just from the ATAG 1 server. 

The last two months:

We have daily between 200-400 different players, who accumulate between 300-700 flight hours. 

Weekly perspective is between 600-800 different players, accumulating between 2000-3500 flight hours. 

In February, 1100 different players spent time on ATAG 1, accumulating 8000 flight hours. 

In March, there were 1450 different players on ATAG 1, accumulating 12000 flight hours. 

I'm sure numbers will continue to rise, especially once the AI routines are fixed. This has been one of the biggest issues with CloD since day 1, and we are excited to get that fix finished and out to everyone, the SP players specfically.