Sign in to follow this  
Gordon200

Goal: Bristol F.2B Type 17 with a 300 HP Wright H3

I have a friend who is working on a project to fully restore a Type 17 Bristol F.2B.

Specifically he's working on the Wright H3 engine. He's prepared a fascinating overview of the process and he writes:

I am still working on some of the language and so on. If you see any errors, please shoot me a correction.  My sources are the 1918 Wright maintenance manual, the 1921 Wright maintenance manual, the 1918Army Air Service maintenance manual, and a 1920 'best practices' manual on how aircraft engines are installed that includes the cooling, fuel, and oil systems. 

There are only seven known original Bristol F.2b fighters in existence.
This is the only Bristol F.2B in the United States.
It is known that this fuselage, made by Marshall and Son, along with five others, was purchased by Mr. Bottington in 1919 at the RAF depot at Weston-on-the-Green, Oxfordshire, England. These units served for the next 50 years as trusses supporting the roof of Mr. Bottington’s barn. In the late 1960s the airframes were discovered and acquired by the Northern Airplane Preservation Society. This one went to Ed Brennan of Ontario, Canada then Vintage Aviation Historical Foundation Texas, and is now in Bardstown, Kentucky.

The file is 5.51Mb, a little over the 5.0 allowed to attach. If anyone is interested in a copy please let me know and I'll email the pdf to you.

Cheers

Five F2B's were being used to hold up a barn roof!? Mr. Bottington was not an aviation enthusiast, I assume.

• Like 1

The report is a fascinating read with detailed charts and lots of photos.

Many things I didn't know about early aircraft and their manufacture.

For instance: You may be familiar with the small prop-driven fuel pump usually mounted on a strut. This old bird had an air pump driven by the camshaft that pressurized the fuel tank directly below the pilot's seat. That forced the fuel to one of two updraft Stromberg DA-N4 carbs.

Edited by Gordon200
spelling