IonicRipper

Move pilot head back?

I find the default head position to be too far forward, as if the pilot was leaning towards the sight.

I think it would look better if the default head position was moved back so we could see every gauge like so:

11jrwi0.jpg

You can always adjust it yourself to however you want it to be.

• Upvote 1

Page Up, Page Down, Home, End, F10 to save when you're done.

• Upvote 1

Cool thanks Luke! I was wondering how to do this. I was getting sick of clicking the mouse back one notch each time I spawn in.

Cool thanks Luke! I was wondering how to do this. I was getting sick of clicking the mouse back one notch each time I spawn in.

Sure thing! It's a very nice feature to have, as everyone is going to have their own preferences about how they want their seat position to be. BTW, this feature will also work for every gun turret position. 

Is it possible to save your new default view, then save a "zoom to gunsight" view, and make it switch back and forth between the two by pressing one joystick button?

Is it possible to save your new default view, then save a "zoom to gunsight" view, and make it switch back and forth between the two by pressing one joystick button?

Sure, you can do that. The below is a copy-paste from the ROF manual, but the concept is the same:

Creating a custom snap view is especially handy when you want to quickly shift your camera view to a specific position, such as a gun sight. To create a custom snap view, please note the following steps: 

1. Ensure any head tracking software is disabled and that your camera mode is set to Snap View by pressing the F9 key (Head: snap mode). You can confirm your camera mode is in snap view mode by pressing and releasing any of the numpad keys from 0-9 (excluding the numpad 5 key) or the numpad decimal key. 

2. Press and hold any of the numpad keys listed in step 1. 

3. While still holding down the numpad key, adjust your camera view as described in steps 3-5 in the “adjusting the default head position” section. 

4. Once you are satisfied with your changes, press the F10 key. 

5. To switch to the custom snap view you have created, press the key you chose for the custom snap view in step 2. In addition, you can map this custom snap view to a button on a game controller. To do this, please refer to section 5.1. All of the snap view commands can be found in the Pilot head control section of the Controls screen. 

Note: you can back up your custom snap views and edit them with a text editor by navigating to the \Rise of Flight\data\LuaScripts\snapviews folder. 

By default, for instance, in ROF the numpad decimal key will take you to a custom view of the compass, since in most aircraft there the compass is in a hard-to-see position.

Edited by LukeFF

As with ROF,in order to save the new settings though you need to make a certain file read only.Does anyone know what the file name is?Going crazy finding settings that make BOS shine and then they get erased.Gotta say that the game looks worlds better to me with a less leaned in view.Pilots did not fly with their faces against the optic but would lean in when going for a shot yet no sim ever got this concept,kinda lazy.A simple lean in key would suffice.And the 109 cockpits,always disliked that sims would just center the view on the optic itself.This lean in key can also lean over to the optic in the German offset optics planes.

Edited by wolfstriked

I find the default head position to be too far forward

Certainly not, get wider Fov but pilot need to be forward even more.

• Upvote 1

This game you can not move as far back as COD.

These are the

Action

Zoom+ = Pilot Head: zoom in

Zoom- = Pilot Head: zoom out

I agree.

So you like to fly with your face pressed up again the sight? Suit yourself...

Then adjust it how you want it to be. That's why the head control features are there.

So you like to fly with your face pressed up again the sight? Suit yourself...

What GOZR is saying--I think--is that part of the reality of flying is to be cramped very tightly into the cockpit.  Since he has actually flown at least one Russian fighter he knows from personal experience how the pilot's perspective should be relative to his "office".  When someone says that the pilot's head "should" be further back, that sounds to him like the equivilant of a car racing simulator that puts the driver in the back seat of a BMW M5 so that he can use his 5-foot long arms to turn the wheel.  If you play Falcon BMS or DCS: A10C try this:  Move the monitor close enough to you so that you can touch it with your arm comfortably bent.  Now zoom in so that when your fingers physically touch the ICP or DED buttons, those buttons look correct size relative to your finger.  THAT is what the cockpit looks like to the pilot flying it.  Now of course until we migrate to a VR display, we are forced to use an unrealistic FOV in order to see enough of the environment.  But to someone who flys regularly, doing that feels very unatural.  Personally I like to zoom into what I feel is close to a 1:1 perspective for general flying and zoom back once the potential for combat exists.

Create & save custom PoV in each cockpit.

Make under Setting / Camera sure, that the "Movement speeds" are lowered for adjustments like that. Later on one an incread the "Movement Speed" back to 100% in order to have 1:1 conversion with TRackIR

PS: Inertia just disable (=0) cuz bollocks

There is a huge difference between moving seat forward and back (pilot head controls)
and zooming in and out.

Fully zoomed out and seat far back is maximum FoV but it warps screen and so on

Nice, but doesn't work for VR.

yes it does apparently or so i have been told

Load game in 2d mode,
Move pilot head/seat to position wanted.
Save with F10
Reload game and new default view in place.

Just to summarize for the demented like me, with both TrackIR on and IL2 open

full screen, the sequence is:

===============================================================

1. Press F9 to pause TIR.

2.  Make adjustments:

SEAT POSITION:

up------------------PgUp

down-------------PgDn

forward---------INS

backwards----Home

right--------------END

left----------------DEL

3. Press F10 to save.

================================================================

This is a GAME CHANGER, kill ratios went way up, now I can how successful Fw-190

pilots can see past that nuclear power plant control panel.