Sign in to follow this  
Wolf8312

Will new update diminish performance in VR?

As the title says are we VR users to be worried about the new update driving up performance demands, and thus degrading the VR experience , or will it be the opposite, and might we receive a better optimized experience perhaps with better VR zoom options? Or will performance remain the same as it is do you think? 

They have already stated their VR implementation will remain as it is for now, so don't think there will be any VR specific items tweaked in the update.

They have done a pretty good job with their VR implementation in the performance department, so I would be surprised if see any significant  difference.

We shall know tomorrow.

The updated maps will be probably like flying in Kuban or a bit better, they could probably a bit more demanding that the old maps. ( Kuban in the mountain areas is slow).

I hope the clearer visibility wont degrade performance too much (I think this developers are quite good at thinking about good performance).

With improved graphics the performance will degrade. It's inevitable. It would not be a problem for us if we had more options in the graphic menu. Improved rendering distance probably will have the biggest impact on fps. Hopefully we will be able to scale it down to the current level.

We don't know what kinds of optimizations they might have done, so I guess we will have to wait and see. With airfield optimizations we might see a slight increase in frames around airfields though!

I am "hoping" Kuban might be little better optimized for the official release, will be interesting to see along with the new graphics what it does.

That map has some crazy amounts of vegitation. My pc really struggle around the dense forests in the mountains. I think it's time for an upgrade soon. Maybe go from coal to electric at least xD.

It will be exciting to test the earlier levels where we have some comparison. Do you remember if this update contains extra graphic settings? I only remember talk about it but I cant remember what it was.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, kissklas said:

It will be exciting to test the earlier levels where we have some comparison. Do you remember if this update contains extra graphic settings? I only remember talk about it but I cant remember what it was.

I think namely the increase in the horizon distance. Raindrops on canopy I think.

They talked about a lot of stuff going into this update, going to be an interesting change log for sure.

Edited by dburne

Indeed! Had forgotten about the water droplets. They look fantastic. Worried that people might turn them off for viability if they are a setting though. Would think they would make it mandatory.

19 hours ago, dburne said:

They have already stated their VR implementation will remain as it is for now, so don't think there will be any VR specific items tweaked in the update.

They have done a pretty good job with their VR implementation in the performance department, so I would be surprised if see any significant  difference.

We shall know tomorrow.

They have indeed but I would appreciate a better zoom function!

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, dburne said:

They have done a pretty good job with their VR implementation in the performance department

It's very far from "pretty good". When a simple GUI with just text and a few icons eats 20+ fps in VR then I'd say the optimisation is terrible. Haven't tried v3 yet. Would be great if they fixed that.

Edited by marklar
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, marklar said:

It's very far from "pretty good". When a simple GUI with just text and a few icons eats 20+ fps in VR then I'd say the optimisation is terrible. Haven't tried v3 yet. Would be great if they fixed that.

Not sure that is specific to VR implementation, think the GUI hits the performance across the board.

I personally fly with it hidden the majority of the time.

Edited by dburne

Yeah its a problem specific to not being able to use 2D images in VR or something but not a BOS problem.

Preliminary tests in VR are not encouraging for me though. Performance seems terrible at the moment in VR.  Have dialed back the draw distance, hopefully just need to tinker with the new settings but I really wish we could just turn the clouds off. Over kuban they are flickering and very distracting. Well I did have a bad feeling about this update for VR just hope I am not right!

Yeah I have to wait 4 more hours before I can play. I am really nervous about VR performance, but maybe there will be some more graphics settings we can change to help it out. I know some of the testers were playing VR so, its at least been tested.

18 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Yeah its a problem specific to not being able to use 2D images in VR or something but not a BOS problem.

Preliminary tests in VR are not encouraging for me though. Performance seems terrible at the moment in VR.  Have dialed back the draw distance, hopefully just need to tinker with the new settings but I really wish we could just turn the clouds off. Over kuban they are flickering and very distracting. Well I did have a bad feeling about this update for VR just hope I am not right!

Hmm, that might not bode well for me then on my rig. Still downloading so will probably be a while before I get to do any testing.

Posted (edited)

I hate to say it but at 100km draw distance, with about the same settings I was using before with no problem it's now performing horribly! I think it might have something to do with the clouds but steam VR is flashing all the time for me (indicative of massive fps drops) the way DCS behaves when it gets a mission that is just too much for VR. Think it might just be a combo of clouds and too many assets for VR on the new campaign. Don't even think I will be able to play it like this I'm gutted. 

The clouds as well just dont look right...

Edited by Wolf8312

Have you tried setting the draw distance to its lowest value, just as a base line of sorts?

When updates like this come out and for VR in particular, I always start by putting all graphics to their lowest possible settings, and then I one by one add in the stuff I want the most until it starts breaking.

3 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

I hate to say it but at 100km with about the same settings I was using before with no problem it's now performing horribly! I think it might have something to do with the clouds but steam VR is flashing all the time for me indicative of massive fps drops for some unknown reason though it might just be a combo of clouds and too many assets for VR on the new campaign. Don't even think I will be able to play it like this I'm gutted. 

You have very nice rig there too, can't really get any better - sounds disheartening...

If you put the draw distance back to pre 3.01 distance (45km) I believe you should have about what you had before.

Well some better news now. As mike says if you switch draw distance to its lowest possible setting things should be back to about what they were. Also I verified the integrity of gaming cache and clouds no longer look so insanely shimmery! Don't know what that was about but just for the hell of it I am doing a reinstall now.

The campaign mission I just flew was absolutely chock full of assets and it performed pretty well with no problems, but I should warn you it must be pretty demanding with all those warbirds!

So at least I can go to bed without being too worried. I wont feel completely relaxed till I've played with it some more. The main thing is I dont want BOS to be another DCS where campaign is off limits due to missions with too many assets being unplayable as it would put me off playing the campaign.

Campaign looks very nice but wasn't really able to concentrate on it!

Just saw this from Jason:

You misunderstand the settings.

The 150km is the far terrain tiles/mech and haze settings.

The Map Scenery settings has nothing to do with the real-time draw distance or "bubble" around your plane. It is the overall scenery that is "loaded" onto the map around the "center" of  your mission.  Stray too far away from the prescribed waypoints and object like towns will be mission. 

The settings that have a direct impact on the "bubble" are the pre-sets. Ultra is the furthest. You can also tweak the terrain in the Settings. On max settings and sharp terrain filter any blurring should be extremely minimal.

Jason

So it looks like with that one setting set to unlimited, it can end up creating an "unlimited" number of assets for the mission. meaning you can fly 100 miles each way and still see buildings and ground targets. At least thats my understanding of it

Just did a quick mission over Kuban in the Spit.

I set my distance to 70 km which is still more than what it was prior, and my performance seemed to be ok.

Just a quick test , the real test will be when I continue my PWCG campaign.

Oh, and it appears the prop rpm in the Spit is no longer working... 

you may have had your game set to easy engine mode. I am guessing they may have reset your setting with the update

Mirrors are ON all the time , even if you select mirrors OFF, this kills FPS.

Pick a plane with no mirrors.

Did some heavy clouds quick mission, and 70KM visibility and performance was a bit worse than before , just a bit though.

I recommend verifying integrity of gaming cache or even clean install. I just loaded up a game and was getting into 60 FPS low over airports something I had never seen on my new rig! I then remembered I had just reinstalled and the settings had reset but it still wasn't as bad as when I first loaded up the game before verifying the gaming cache.

@Wolf8312

I think I have done that with other steam games before, but I don't have this game on steam. how do you do it outside of steam? is it part of the launcher?

19 minutes ago, dburne said:

Just did a quick mission over Kuban in the Spit.

I set my distance to 70 km which is still more than what it was prior, and my performance seemed to be ok.

Just a quick test , the real test will be when I continue my PWCG campaign.

Oh, and it appears the prop rpm in the Spit is no longer working... 

Check difficulty settings they are prob on normal, this is why prop RPM doesnt work in your Spitfire.

That's too bad, 

I had a small inkling of hope that this update might just optimize a bit better to spread across more cores and help my Ryzen in VR. 

11 minutes ago, =SqSq=switch201 said:

@Wolf8312

I think I have done that with other steam games before, but I don't have this game on steam. how do you do it outside of steam? is it part of the launcher?

I don't think you can mate! I wouldn't worry about it if your not on steam, or even at all it might just be my own superstition as I was messing around with the settings a lot!

I seemed to have alot of graphical corruption on the clouds when I first loaded the game and a sh*t ton of steam VR flashes, but the latter I think was mostly down to the draw distance. If you find you have any problems you might try a reinstall though, I know DCS had a similar problem where all the old files were somehow conflicting and clashing with the new ones, but be that as it may be it's not like I know what the hell I am talking about haha!

9 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Check difficulty settings they are prob on normal, this is why prop RPM doesnt work in your Spitfire.

Duh, you were exactly right - they got set back to Normal apparently after the update.

All is well now, thanks!

1 hour ago, Wolf8312 said:

It is BOS problem. This is the only VR game I know with this issue. Turn GUI in Assetto Corsa, iRacing, pCars, WT and you won't see a single fps drop.

• Upvote 1

I flew with the terrain distance set to maximal, and above 2000m it was smooth. A bit more stuttery when close to the ground, but that's always been the case for me. For me the new terrain distance is really worth having.

A bit disappointed with the overcast weather. Clouds seen from below are too blue, and shadows are (still) too pronounced. The rain effect is a nice touch, but very mild. Too mild for my taste.

Not much time to test today unfortunately, I did a quick mission 4 versus 4 in the Spit over Kuban, and performance was fine with distance set to 70km.

Will have more time for more thorough testing by the weekend. Anxious to see how it does in my PWCG campaign.

12 minutes ago, marklar said:

It is BOS problem. This is the only VR game I know with this issue. Turn GUI in Assetto Corsa, iRacing, pCars, WT and you won't see a single fps drop.

Same FPS drops in DCS though. When you load the GUI in a racing game BOS are youstill driving around the track? Or does it actually stop the game? I don’t know dude menus in both DCS and BOS have problems, don’t know why,  but it doesn’t bother me too much or affect my enjoyment of the game itself. 

Posted (edited)

Same here, to my surprise. All settings set as before the patch, horizon draw 150km and fps seem to be the same as before. Haven't tried online yet.

Rain drops look really good in the cockpit. Very impressive.

GUI still eats 10+ fps.

12 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

When you load the GUI in a racing game BOS are youstill driving around the track? Or does it actually stop the game?

Of course I still drive. I am not talking about the menu but small windows with various information like position, selected gear, server messages. It's all 2D overlaid on 3D scene. 

Edited by marklar

24 minutes ago, coconut said:

I flew with the terrain distance set to maximal, and above 2000m it was smooth. A bit more stuttery when close to the ground, but that's always been the case for me. For me the new terrain distance is really worth having.

A bit disappointed with the overcast weather. Clouds seen from below are too blue, and shadows are (still) too pronounced. The rain effect is a nice touch, but very mild. Too mild for my taste.

Me too dissapointed with the overcast weather, looks kind of blue from below.

Like the rain effects though

12 minutes ago, marklar said:

Rain drops look really good in the canopy. Very impressive.

Yeah. I was hoping that the raindrops on goggles effect while sitting in the runway with open canopy is retained on VR. That would have been really cool. But no biggie.

Other VR users a reporting good performance in the other thread so that's a good sign.... only 2 more hours till I can play......

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Same FPS drops in DCS though. When you load the GUI in a racing game BOS are youstill driving around the track? Or does it actually stop the game? I don’t know dude menus in both DCS and BOS have problems, don’t know why,  but it doesn’t bother me too much or affect my enjoyment of the game itself. 

The likely reason is that DCS and BOS primarily use one core for graphics rendering. Likely other games that are not suffering from GUI causing FPS drop are not near/maxing out a single core. 

Edited by SCG_Wulfe