SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Copy/Paste settings plus ZOOM for best spotting and ID! Odyssey+, Pimax5K+, Rift S, Rift!

### Lefuneste's Mod has been updated to 13.1.1! ūü§© July 25th, fixed some zoom issues on RiftS and Odyssey, let me know if it works properly again.

### Mirrors in normal operation have been fixed, as before. Odyssey+ has received its IPD offset again, to fix worldscale from 95% to 100%. Cycle with ALT-LEFTARROW

### Please consider to become Lefuneste's voluntary Patreon if you value the zoom or anything else. He refused to create a Patreon Account for over a year, and I have talked him into it. I support him as well: https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste/overview

Hello Comrades, Kameraden, Tovorishi,

Steam's SuperSampling reduce the size of dots (objects) at range, so much that spotting contacts can be quite difficult. Flying without any SS was ugly, but always the most competitive choice in Multiplayer. Hence I was screwing around in the settings, and found something:

If you put the Landscape Filter to Blurry, it will mitigate all the issues with the flickering ground. To me, that was the number one issue, when with low SuperSampling. It gives mostly static ground, and if there is something flickering, it's a contact. Blurry is land_anisotropy = 2. Sharp is = 1, No filter is = 0. Stick to the SS values mentioned here. Lower SS also gives more headroom for the GPU, which allows me to use medium mirrors and high shadows. No more SS will mess with the scaling of objects - no more need to hunt single subpixels to spot contacts. The recommended GPU for Samsung's Odyssey+ is a GTX1080, for the Pimax5k+ at least a RTX2080. The CPU I use is a watercooled i7 7700K at 4.9GHz with AVX offset=0, the RAM 16GB DDR4 at 3200MHz. IL-2 runs with AVX! If you have a more powerful system, you'll be fine.

### Pimax 5K+ ###

1) Valve lately limits the maximum horizontal pixels provided by their Supersampling, which leads to aliasing and a bad picture quality in Pimax5k+'s large FOV. It's just enough for their Index. Well, let's be smarter:

Move to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings , open default.vrsettings via notepad, find line "maxRecommendedResolution": 4096 and put in 8192:

"maxRecommendedResolution": 8192, 

This sometimes resets after SteamVR updates, but if you want to use large FOV and enjoy the crisp clear picture of the 5K+ on any game, you want to know this.

2) PiTool settings:

Download Link: PiTool version 180, updated July 26th 2019. Make sure to use this PiTool over 132 or 129, as it really improves performance.

General: no change

HMD: Render Quality 1.0,  Contrasts +1 , Brightness -1, bind left and right together for each

Games/Brainwarp: Smart Smoothing off, Fixed Foveated Rendering off (crashes IL-2 regularly), Parallel Projection on, Vive game only off, Field of View NORMAL, Refreshrate 90Hz

### under HMD , reboot Headset if you get an issue with one screen going dark after changing FOV.

3) SteamVR:

Super Sampling 80% (RTX2080ti)

Advanced Super Sampling Filter Off (found under Developer)

4) Now a part from my startup.cfg, found in "%\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data". This cannot be done from within the game menu. Replace its graphics part with this:

Spoiler

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 1024
    draw_distance = 0.54500
    fps_counter = 0
    fps_limit = 0
    full_height = 1080
    full_width = 1920
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.80000
    grass_distance = 0.00000
    hdr_enable = 0
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 3
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 0
    multisampling = 0
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 3288
    or_hud_rad = 0.85000
    or_hud_size = 0.85000
    or_ipd = 0.06206
    or_width = 3852
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 2
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 3
    ssao_enable = 0
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 1080
    win_width = 1920
[END]

Start SteamVR from PiTool, then start the IL-2 out of the Steam Library.

### For Samsung Odyssey or Odyssey+ or Rift S ###

To optimize spotting and still have the game look great!

1) Make sure you upgrade Windows10 to the latest update 1903. 1903 has received a microsoft patch to fix WMR output quality by now. Make sure it's installed, and always keep Windows uptodate.

2) SteamVR:

Odysseys: Super Sampling 140% (GTX1080, 7.1M pxl @90Hz)

Rift S: Super Sampling 136% (GTX1080, 7.9M pxl @80Hz)

Advanced Super Sampling Filter Off (found under Developer)

3) Now a part from my startup.cfg, found in "%\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data". This cannot be done from within the game menu. Replace its graphics part with this:

Spoiler

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 512
    draw_distance = 0.54500
    fps_counter = 0
    fps_limit = 0
    full_height = 1080
    full_width = 1920
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.70000
    grass_distance = 0.00000
    hdr_enable = 1
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 3
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 2
    multisampling = 1
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 2179
    or_hud_rad = 0.80000
    or_hud_size = 1.00000
    or_ipd = 0.06763
    or_width = 1748
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 2
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 3
    ssao_enable = 0
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 1080
    win_width = 1920
[END]

If you run into performance issues, please remember that all systems are different, and adjust a few details accordingly. To gain fps, you can reduce grass distance, shadow quality, or horizon draw distance, for example. A big boost in performance can get gained by disabling Spectre/Meltdown Patches rolled out by Microsoft. Improves FPS by 15-20fps. Do at your own risk though, and don't do it if you have sensitive data. If it's just a mirrored gaming PC not storing any work, go ahead.

Lefuneste's amazing mod can be found here, in its standard configuration without adjusted zooms. For adjusted zooms - I have pre-set versions for the Odyssey+ and the Pimax5k+, that work off the shelf!

Scroll down for those!

#### Personal optimization on lefuneste's mod ####

I have optimized lefuneste's default settings to what I like:

- Convergences adjusted for Odyssey+ or Pimax5k+, please use the right download

- set back crosshairs to their standard color

- turn crosshair off/on using Alt-K

- cycle through worldscale using ALT-DELETE

- the zooms' "Binocular masks" are disabled

- the crosshair now visible in both eyes (just right eye was immersion breaking for me)

- the color scheme set back to normal, so that the sun isn't as blinding

These options were given by lefuneste himself, I merely adjusted them. Again, all praise be upon him, and please consider to become lefuneste's voluntary Patreon if you value the zoom. Link at the top of the thread.

#### PLEASE MANUALLY DELETE THE OLD FOLDERS AND FILES BEFORE UPDATING. DO NOT JUST OVERWRITE THE OLD WITH THE NEW MOD FILES! ####

The old folders to delete: AddOn, ReplacementTextures, shaderCache, ShaderFixes, users_settings

The old files to delete: d3d11.dll, d3dcompiter_46.dll, d3dx.ini, d3dx_user.ini, nvapi64.dll, uninstall.bat

#### Please initialize the d3dx_user.ini file pressing F12 once ingame after installation in the main menu. Make sure F12 is NOT bound to anything ingame or in SteamVR for example. Failing to do so might not have the zoom working correctly in all cases. ####

Lefuneste's Mod, presets adjusted for the Samsung Odyssey+

Lefuneste's Mod, presets adjusted for the Pimax 5K+

Lefuneste's Mod, presets adjusted for the Rift S (thanks to Darbzy!)

Lefuneste's Mod, presets adjusted for the Rift (thanks to Rudis!)

Without Mod, Valve Index zoom preset by Winger

This is the full mod, including the presets! Lefuneste is the creator, please consider becoming his voluntary Patreon if you value the zoom or any other feature. Link at the top of the thread.

#### For all VR heads that use his mod ####

With the freeware Joy2Key you can bind any key for 5x zoom (standard key HOME) to a Joystick button, and another key for 10x zoom (standard key INSERT) to another Joystick button. Unbind IL-2's weak VRzoom, don't combine them. Joy2Key can be found here: https://joytokey.net/en/

HOME (Pos1) key is medium zoom.

INSERT (Einfg) key is high zoom.

ALT+K is to switch crosshair off/on

To test these settings, go start a Quick Mission, spawn at 4k-5k in a Fighter and put some Attackers at 500m on the deck. Enjoy the hunt! ūü§†

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 7

Kameraden,

Tried it and with Lefuneste's mod in combination my scores on Coconut's server have gone up right away. Much better ident now even when not zoomed it. I've gone with High settings as I tune this in better.

S! FW

• Upvote 1

Combining sharpen in game and blurried terrain , now there is no need for that much SS anymore.

Kind of you can control the amount of shimmering you are willing to see , by reducing or adding SS.

Looks better and performs better.

Its a win win setting.

• Upvote 1

Finally tried this mod and it is game changing for VR (I have a Rift).   Mapped it to my joystick zoom button with joytokey and able to ID way further away now.   Now I won't get killed in Coconut's as fast, thanks Lefuneste. 

• Upvote 1

Gave these settings a go and agree they considerably improve contact spotting. Easy now even in bad weather. The only thing I run differently is "high" rather than "ultra" as at ultra heavy cloudcovers a kill my fps. Wish clouds had their own setting.

• Upvote 1

I tried these settings last night and the game looks and runs great. Now that my SS is back to 1.0, I moved up from low to balanced settings with no loss in FPS so far. I'll have to try the high setting later on. Thanks for sharing this!

• Upvote 1

Just commenting here, because i don't want this thread to get lost and want to try those settings next time i am able to fly :-)

• Upvote 1

Since 3.001, I also use these settings on "High".

Summary:

Presets High

Mirror Medium

Shadows High

Landscape Filter Blurry

Landscape Range 4x

Clouds High

AA 4x

Dyn Res 1.0

Gamma 0.8

HDR 0

SSAO 0

Sharpen 1

4k textures 1

SteamVR SS/PD off

Lefuneste's mod installed

5x zoom on one button

10x lefuneste's zoom on secondary button (use JoyToKey to map both to your secondary Joystick Button)

ColorFix at 1.16 (you must edit the w6 variable, then activate it ingame via alt+u).

Viol√° :fly:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Is there an option to edit the configuration to have the colour fix on permanently? 

Yes, you need to set it in the default settings in the upper section of the d3dx.ini file instead of under the different [key] sections further below.

Sorry for not being more specific but I'm not at home atm to check. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

Yes, you need to set it in the default settings in the upper section of the d3dx.ini file instead of under the different [key] sections further below.

Sorry for not being more specific but I'm not at home atm to check. 

I checked the config and found the defaults, thank you .

; Color Fix
;----------------
; default value to add and mul to each color component
; z6 = 0.1
; w6 = 0.9
z6 = 0.0
w6 = 1.0

• Upvote 1

Does this require mods on mode? or can it be used in multiplayer?

50 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Parts of it, like the zoom and propeller disk artifact fix, can be used in multiplayer as well.

You sir have just made my VR experience twice as good!! i commend you!! 

EDIT:iv'e only tried in BOK map in MP but... I CAN SEE EVERYTHING!!!!

Edited by 19//SAG
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the new settings for the Odyssey!

I tried them out and I was seeing the targets clear as day 5KM out and I could see the dot at around 7KM plus it looked great!  Thanks so much!

• Thanks 1

Kameraden,

Remember to try the updated settings, this post is a WIP and the new settings with my Rift are incredible.

S!

• Thanks 1

Well , i have to have it 'for dummies' ¬†ūü§ĒūüôĄūüė≥

Where do you find ss and Advanced S. F. In steam vr .....

And I find no SS settings in the graphics settings in the game 

And and 

How do i go to the graphics confic in the PC startup ???

Thanx 

Hi Sire, 

welcome to the VR community! 

You'll find supersampling in SteamVR's settings, then select manual override under Video. Under Developer you'll find the Adv SS Filter. 

In the game there is Anti-Aliasing, but no way to edit VR's own SS settings. Please do that using SteamVR. You can also download and install "Advanced OpenVR" (Google has details) to change it while you're already in VR! 

P.S. VR takes a bit of studying how to do what and which, it's not ready out of the box for IL-2 since IL-2 originally wasn't made for VR. It may take a few hours but the joy of having it set up properly makes up for the several hours invested. It's like modding SkyrimVR. Takes time, but dang, it's worth it when done

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2018 at 12:08 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

nvm ūüėĄ

Edited by LLv34_adexu

Oh my. Thank you so much for this. I have been wrestling with my Oculus settings and not winning. Your settings have got me were i wanted to be and more.

Simply great work. Thank you!

Just want to say that with that mod and these configs I went from flying for hours and never even engaging a target to landing my first online vr kill within 5 minutes of takeoff in a yak1-s69. The zoom enables me to correctly identify threats instead of always guessing. I didn't have a spotting issue just a indetifying issue and this solved it. Thanks a ton. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Just want to say that with that mod and these configs I went from flying for hours and never even engaging a target to landing my first online vr kill within 5 minutes of takeoff in a yak1-s69. The zoom enables me to correctly identify threats instead of always guessing. I didn't have a spotting issue just a indetifying issue and this solved it. Thanks a ton. 

Agreed, that was the largest improvement for me as well. I flew a whole TAW campaign without this mod, and always had to fly within gun range to even ID people.. very much less than ideal. Being able to ID from far away is amazing.

Anyone here a vive user?

Edit:  Okay, well, it works and looks nice.  I'm having trouble with a double image and zoom though - currently reading threads for a fix...

Edited by Beazil

Hi Beazil,

the herementioned copy and paste settings for lefuneste's mod are for Rift or Odyssey users. There need to be different values for each headset, as they demand to be customized. Have you found some working for the Vive so far? I could add some for the Vive, but since I've given my Vive away a while ago, I would not be able to confirm their validity 100% on my own, and thus decided not to post them.¬†ūüôĀ

I will check later if I find some in lefuneste's thread and include them here as well. 

Hello.

Here are my regulations staff for the odyssey in online.

create only for Bos, system full watercooling Xflow, i7 7700K@5Ghz Delid, Aorus Xtreme 1080Ti @ 2100/6318Mhz, DDR4 2x8G@3200Mhz.

1529922099-20180623-112422.jpg 

1529506287-20180620-162550-richtone-hdr.

Cinematic @ 0

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 2048
    draw_distance = 0.27400
    fps_counter = 0
    fps_limit = 60
    full_height = 600
    full_width = 800
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.90000
    grass_distance = 000.00000
    hdr_enable = 1
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 3
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 1
    multisampling = 1
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 2027
    or_hud_rad = 1.50000
    or_hud_size = 0.75000
    or_ipd = 0.07120
    or_width = 1627
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 2
    rescale_target = 0.90000
    shadows_quality = 2
    ssao_enable = 1
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 600
    win_width = 800
[END]

MixedRealityVRDriver.

Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation 
        // motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
        // "motionReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",
        // "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",        
        // Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected

Regulation in Windows mixed reality, everything on auto.

Regulation SteamVR: manual Mode 1627x2027, authorize the permanent reprojection, async and interlaced off as well as the supersampling.

Bench SCG_Fenris_Wolf, Odyssey and Rift on my PC.
Rift: Frames: 13124 - Time: 200000ms - Avg: 65.620 - Min: 40 - Max: 91
Odyssey: Frames: 10706 - Time: 200000ms - Avg: 53.530 - Min: 43 - Max: 91

Edited by C6_Werner
  • Like 1

Thx.

This config allows me to play it VR and to host summer coop for French.

1532553029-coop.png

Hi,

Thanks very much for taking the time to do all this, saved me a lot of time, I think i have just about got it figured out, but I couldn't get the 5x and 10x zoom to work, I noticed in your d3dx.ini you have the following

[Key1]
;set high zoom on
Key = no_ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
; modify here the first value you want to use for zoom increase
w = 10.0

y6 = 1.31
x7 = -0.15
y7 = -0.85

[Key2]
;set  zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
w = 1.5
;common settings
x7 = 0.0
y7 = 0.0

[Key3]
;set med zoom on
Key = no_ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_UP
type = hold
w = 5.0

y6 = 0.6
x7 = -0.15
y7 = -0.425 

I changed it to the following and all worked

[Key1]
;set high zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
w = 10.0

y6 = 1.31
x7 = -0.15
y7 = -0.85

[Key2]
;set  zoom on
Key = no_ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_DOWN
type = hold
w = 1.5
;common settings
x7 = 0.0
y7 = 0.0

[Key3]
;set med zoom on
Key = ALT no_shift no_ctrl VK_UP
type = hold
w = 5.0

y6 = 0.6
x7 = -0.15
y7 = -0.425 

Not sure if it was an error, or I have changed the wrong thing, but I get x5 and x10 zoom now?

It should work either way.  only difference between both is pressing only arrow key or alt+arrow key to get zoom.

And tried your VR settings couple days ago, difference is like night and day what i had before, much more enjoyable to fly now.

latest?cb=20170928175222

Edited by Macross

2 hours ago, Macross said:

It should work either way.  only difference between both is pressing only arrow key or alt+arrow key to get zoom.

And tried your VR settings couple days ago, difference is like night and day what i had before, much more enjoyable to fly now.

latest?cb=20170928175222

indeed, but then

With the freeware (you can donate to them if you want) Joy2Key you can bind ALT+ArrowUp for 5x zoom to a Joystick button, and ALT+ArrowDown for 10x zoom to another Joystick button.

Needs to be changed, not everyone can sort out ini files.

On 2/18/2018 at 10:53 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

2) And a part from my startup.cfg, replace your graphics part with this:

Hi Fenris_Wolf,

I'm a noob here and am trying to get good settings for my Rig + Oculus Rift, is your edited startup.cfg any good for a GTX 1060 6Gb? Any thoughts?

Here is my Sys Specs:

6th Gen core i5 6400 2.7 Ghz, turbo boost to 3.2 Ghz (I don't know how to enable turbo boost, so for now it runs at stock 2.7 Ghz) on socket 1151

16 Gb DDR4 ram memory (1600 Mhz?)

M2 120 Gb SSD

Asus GeForce GTX 1060  6 Gb DDR5

Thanks,

Algy 'Ginger' Lacey

Hi Algy, 

The settings are from my machine, an I7 7700K at 4.9GHz, DDR4 memory at 3200MHz, SSD, and a GTX1080 with powertarget at 110%. 

I don't think the rig you mentioned could hold an adequate framerate with these settings. 

@Algy-Lacey , you can lower shadows to 2 , preset to 1, grass_distance to 0, land_tex_lods to 1, multisampling to 1. Maybe this will bring up your FPS. I still recommend you to use the migoto mod and its settings for your Rift or Odyssey.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

@Algy-Lacey , you can lower shadows to 2 , preset to 1, grass_distance to 0, land_tex_lods to 1, multisampling to 1. Maybe this will bring up your FPS. I still recommend you to use the migoto mod and its settings for your Rift or Odyssey.

Nice one, SCG_Fenris_Wolf... (How do I include someone's name in Blue like you did with my name? I'm guessing that notifies the person tagged?)

I will give those settings a try this evening.

And Lefuneste's 3DMigoto Mod is going to be essential for me, due to my slow rig I will be running constant ASW 45fps, with the propellor turned off so there are no artefacts.

And lastly, thanks for the tip in your original post - that putting Landscape Filter to Blurry will correct the shimmering textures that I experienced the first time I tried IL-2 BOK.

Algy 'Ginger' Lacey

On 3/30/2018 at 4:08 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Since 3.001, I also use these settings on "High".

Summary:

Presets High

Mirror Medium

Shadows High

Landscape Filter Blurry

Landscape Range 4x

Clouds High

AA 4x

Dyn Res 1.0

Gamma 0.8

HDR 0

SSAO 0

Sharpen 1

4k textures 1

SteamVR SS/PD off

Lefuneste's mod installed

5x zoom on one button

10x lefuneste's zoom on secondary button (use JoyToKey to map both to your secondary Joystick Button)

ColorFix at 1.16 (you must edit the w6 variable, then activate it ingame via alt+u).

Viol√° :fly:

Hey fenris,

I use your copy and paste settings, do those in the startup config effect the ingame options as well? The color correction maybe due to the gamma adjustment makes planes so much easier to spot and I don't want to change the preset to mess anything up, I only have a 1070 so my frames aren't as good as they could be. I just want to make sure I can change the preset and keep your settings?

Also I copy and pasted everything for both files, I haven't even been turning on the colorfix apparently with the mod, didn't know you had to activate it. These settings help so much I had previously set them back to default and the difference is night and day, it's so washed out in the rift that spotting planes is nearly impossible since everything has the same colors.

Also check this out, the VR limiter yeah? I noticed that while sitting on the runway with no air rushing over the cockpit you can move out more right like it has been stated? Check say the yak69 you can get in super close to the gunsight when you are still, but when you start going at speed you can't anymore, I think there is a bug where the wind pressure effect is effecting how close you can get to the gunsight and not just how far you can stick your head out of the sides of the open cockpit. I was all happy they fixed how close you can lean in but once I started flying it was back to the same. I think we should report this as an actual bug as I am sure that is not intended to work like that.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

Hi Jon,

yes you can adjust a lower preset for example to 2, and Land_tex_lod/landscape detail range to 1 as well. I also recommend then putting grass to 0.00, and lowering shadows to 2 in the startup.cfg. This should give you a nice performance boost.

By the way, you might want to use the first post in the thread as a base to work from. The one you quoted is outdated, I'll mark it as such, thanks ūüėÄūüĎć

Very good finding on the VR limiter. I didn't know about that bug yet. I'll check it out as well. Yes, we might want to create some bug reports about it, on the Russian forums as well.

Best regards!

Fenris