VR tips and tricks - Improving your VR experience! -Updated 9th/Dec/2020

peregrine7

try this also

try setting pre-rendered frames to =1

attachicon.gifset12.jpg

attachicon.gifset1.jpg

Thanks!  Mine was already set, but somehow my global settings had changed to Optimal Power Savings ... made a big difference switching that back to maximum performance

try this also

try setting pre-rendered frames to =1

attachicon.gifset12.jpg

attachicon.gifset1.jpg

Interesting, this shouldn't do anything with the Rift... though when does "shouldn't" ever correspond to "won't" ? :rolleyes: 

I'll check and see if it has any impact.

- If you want better terrain details (regardless of your graphics settings in game) and you don't mind a large performance hit then follow this guide: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/23699-make-il-2-look-stunning-improved-ground-detail-and-visibilit/

Gave this a try this morning, this tweak worked quite nicely for me. If I had much of a performance hit I sure can not tell it.

Thanks for the link.

=SqSq=switch201

I have a GTX 980 TI with oculus and I love this game so much now. I have never played any flight sims online, but with this game I am starting to do that. It can be very immersive. one thing I am having the most trouble with is IDing planes. the VR zoom feature doesn't seem to help me too much, because even when zoomed in the planes look pretty pixelated.

right now I have SS set to 1.4, no AA, Graphics set to lowest setting. I have ASW on but Interleaved reprojection turned off. I have my SS at 1.4 to play onward but I am wondering if I could too crank it up to 2.0 and if that would make a difference.

Has any one else come up with the best settings for spotting in VR?

• Upvote 1

=EXPEND=Tripwire

I'm still running SS at 1.0 due to my poor 970 not being able to keep up.

Identification of planes is difficult but I am finding that the more time I am spending ingame the better I am getting even with the resolution limitations. Can't wait to upgrade and bump up to 1.5 SS.

I have had a few years experience for ingame target identification prior to VR though.

I think with more VR hours people will increase their ability to effectively use the zoom and be able to ID. Zoom is a bit visually uncomfortable unless you don't move your head.

SvAF/F19_Pluto

Spent four days to try to solve the problem with low fps

Have a good machine ought to be near 90 but was 40-45.

And then I noticed my cpu temperature was almost 100 degres celsius!!!

Changed the cpu fan and problem is fixed. :P

I'm using a Rift and get the "DISTANCE BETWEEN LENSES XXX.XMM" message popping up frequently and at the most inopportune times. I have seen reports of this in other programs that use the Rift and OpenVR, though no one seems to know the cause. It does not seem to be related to a loose IPD switch.

On the off chance, does anyone know a cause/fix for this? Is the problem at all widespread?

Can someone please explain to me how to change my supersampling settings?

There are several ways, all by using various utilities.  You can use the Oculus SDK debug tool or my preferred option which is the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) - https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1.

When you install it you will see that you can set profiles for games.  Link it to Launcher.exe (right-click your IL2 desktop icon to check the path of Launcher) and you can see that you can set it to a number of settings via drop down.  Also make sure that ASW is off otherwise you get weird graphical glitches especially with the 109 reticule.

With OTT the settings are mostly self-explanatory and you can even set it to start with Windows etc.

Good luck

von Tom

Is anyone running the DK2 with the newer runtime/sdk. I have had it running pretty nice with the older 0.8 run time, but I do get a bit of blur/judder when moving my head fast. Seems to get worse the longer I play.

I am about to try the latter APP based runtime ....when the slow as download finishes. Anyone have any experience with latter run times/SDK.

machine is older windows 7 ultimate 64

i7 3770 3.4Ghz

8 gig Ram

MSI Gtx 970

kind regards

Dom

Edited by macro1

71st_AH_Vertigo

Hi all,

Just got my Occulus Rift... WOW!

This is soo awesome..!!

Wondering if anyone can give me a hand..

I tried copy and pasting the tweaks provided by the OP..  but as soon as STEAM VR loads, everything reverts back to original..

I do not have beta downloads enabled, as one guy posted..  What else could it be..?

Thanks in advance,

V

Im looking for get a comparative take on my gaming system as to how it should run with this set up. I wont be upgrading but this should be worth running a vr build with, correct? Ill see good frames in il2?

4790k Oc'd at 4.6

16 gigs of ddr3 ram

1080 classified OCd

SSD

Vertigo google and download Oculus Tray Tool, run as administrator, and set pixel density (SS) from there

Nunz I'm running Oculus Rift rather well on I7 3820 Oc'ed at 4.3 and GTX 1060, OC'ed as well, so you shouldn't have any problems

I also found a significant performance improvement setting VR prerendered frames=4 in NVCP, didn't notice any latency 

Edited by Nibbio

Im expecting it to run rather well Im just worried about the older architecture on the 1150 chips and ddr3 ram.

Im looking for get a comparative take on my gaming system as to how it should run with this set up. I wont be upgrading but this should be worth running a vr build with, correct? Ill see good frames in il2?

4790k Oc'd at 4.6

16 gigs of ddr3 ram

1080 classified OCd

SSD

Very similar to my current rig, and I get great VR performance in BoS.

Nunz there are a number of tools to check how capable exactly your system would be with a VR set. There's one on Steam for example, that gives you a detailed score.

Edited by Nibbio

Hi all,

Just got my Occulus Rift... WOW!

This is soo awesome..!!

Wondering if anyone can give me a hand..

I tried copy and pasting the tweaks provided by the OP.. but as soon as STEAM VR loads, everything reverts back to original..

I do not have beta downloads enabled, as one guy posted.. What else could it be..?

Thanks in advance,

V

I noticed that if the spelling, spacing and syntax is written correctly it should not overwrite it. I'm still trying to get rid of my blue circle. This my next battle.

71st_AH_Vertigo

... guess I'll try OTT..

I don't see how syntax could be off if I am copying and pasting..

Nothing ever comes easy for me with computers.. lol

peregrine7

Is anyone running the DK2 with the newer runtime/sdk. I have had it running pretty nice with the older 0.8 run time, but I do get a bit of blur/judder when moving my head fast. Seems to get worse the longer I play.

I am about to try the latter APP based runtime ....when the slow as download finishes. Anyone have any experience with latter run times/SDK.

machine is older windows 7 ultimate 64

i7 3770 3.4Ghz

8 gig Ram

MSI Gtx 970

kind regards

Dom

Yeah, actually I'm still running a DK2 myself!  The newer runtimes are a little more smooth than the old ones, with better handling of tracking. No reason not to upgrade IMO

With regards to the PC, it's a little on the low end (I'm assuming the ram is also 1333ish Mhz DDR3 as well). The CPU and Ram would probably need upgrading before the GPU but it should be adequate. 

What kind of FPS are you getting? Also, double check you aren't running sweetfx/reshade as that will introduce one frame of lag (even if the FPS doesn't change)

II/JG11_ATLAN_VR

With my pc Details see below, now i am getting 55-60 fps at 1980x1080 fullhd ultra Settings,

Question : which settings i shall use or get for the VR OCULUS rift?

Amd fx 8370 gtx 1060 6gb 16gb ram win10 home 64bit

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN

peregrine7

With my pc Details see below, now i am getting 55-60 fps at 1980x1080 fullhd ultra Settings,

Question : which settings i shall use or get for the VR OCULUS rift?

Amd fx 8370 gtx 1060 6gb 16gb ram win10 home 64bit

Upgrade the Fx8370 (and will probably require new, faster ram for the new MOBO)

Stay away from AMD.

You'd need to be getting 130+ fps to have something like 90fps in VR. 

Edited by peregrine7
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
ClarkFable

Why would increasing clarity through SS make spotting harder? Is it because a single black spot becomes averaged into grey with the sampling?

ClarkFable

ASW when using Oculus - should it be set to OFF? 

"Yes", seems to be the most popular answer.  Personally, I can leave it on without a problem as long as I have my HUD off. 

ASW when using Oculus - should it be set to OFF? 

I leave mine on Auto.

1CGS did a splendid job of their VR implementation of BoS, and whilst it runs great for me performance wise maintaining 90 fps much of the time, when ASW does kick in and it goes to the required 45 fps for frame interpolation, it is very smooth with not much artifacts at all. I have been involved in some fairly heavy combat situations where ASW kicked in and was still very do-able and smooth for me. I have gotten to where I hardly even notice it and if not for seeing the fps counter probably would not even realize it.

ditto, apart from the prop effect and the occasional double blur I rarely notice when it kicks in, indeed I the prop blur were *fixed* Id probably never notice it.

Tom25briklebritt
Where did you set the Pixel density (Supersampling)? 

Through Oculus Tray Tool or within Steam? Does it make any differences?

Where did you set the Pixel density (Supersampling)? 

Through Oculus Tray Tool or within Steam? Does it make any differences?

I use Oculus Tray Tool to set up a profile for BoS and set a Pixel Density for it in there, I have the Tray Tool run at windows startup each time anyway so figured since I have a Rift I would set it up through the Rift rather than through the Steam software.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

nice to meet you all. I'm french so I apologise for my english. This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to share my VR experience with this game. In one word : it's incredible !

At the beginning I was a bit sick but now it's fine. I've read about some of you having problems with aiming and the double vision reticle. I have tryed some different camera axes

and for me the main problem of the original camera position is that it centers right in front of the reticle, it's not the real pilot head position. By slightly tweaking camera position to

center it on the pilot seat, with a perfect centering in the cockpit (like the real pilot head position), the reticle perfectly align with my right eye, so I haven't got to position my own head

or to close one eye to aim.

I encourage you to try it. If I may ask that to developpers, I think that adding a few preset of camera position for VR purpose would be great. As I always have to tweak my camera for the moment.

Hope my post will help.

Bye !

Amaury

vladimusmaximus

The VR has definitely come a long way on this game and I quite enjoy it. However, currently on Vive / Steam, there are a TON of bugs when loading the game. 1/2 the time it either crashes, or 1/2 the time it clicks between the game and steam interface like 200x as it's loading trying to login. 

Also, the cockpit glass, make visibility of the environment and other aircraft, especially in weather, VERY difficult. Maybe requires some tweaking for VR?

vladimusmaximus

My settings are "everything off" except sharpen. And game quality on LOW. But I use the terrain file to hijack the settings and have 10 LODs at 4096. Grass is at 0. Nicer terrain and good frame rates. Screen resolution for game is 1280×720 on the monitor.

?Sorry, which terrain file do you refer to

vladimusmaximus

I'm on Vive, with a 1080 TI, 4.2ghz OC'd i7 6core, 64GBram.

I play at 1.4 (with everything off) and lucky to get 45 frames. WTF?

Does anyone know if the 1080 card has any real advantage over the 1070 graphics card in terms of definition and /or fps???

=EXPEND=Tripwire

The 1080 should be able to run higher levels of supersampling than the 1070 before experiencing fps dropping below 90.

• SCG_Fenris_Wolf changed the title to Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, Vive Pro 2, Reverb G2, etc.
  • SYN_Haashashin pinned this topic