Sign in to follow this  
PatrickAWlson

Naval Targets in Kuban

Ships have been added to the mix of potential targets.  There have been a couple of posts about enemy shipping showing up in inappropriate places (but hey, at least they are in water :) ).

I have yet to find the best balance of fun and realism per anti shipping attacks.  I do not think that it is unrealistic for enemy ships, even cargo ships, to be in harms way in some cases.  The Russian assault on Novorossiysk and German withdrawal to Crimea come to mind.  However, a random tanker should not be steaming by 10km from an enemy port.  Conversely, I do not want to force players to fly 300km round trips to attack a ship either.  

I can't help but think that getting there requires a good deal more sophistication in the software than currently exists.  When is it OK for what kind of ships to be where?  How often?  When does frequency increase and decrease?  Where are they going? Did opposing naval units ever fight it out?  I feel that I did a decent job of this on the RoF channel map but Kuban is a different beast.

So, let the discussion begin.  The goal is the best mix of realism and fun.
  • Upvote 1

Cross-reference to historical information on U-Boats in the Black Sea:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32003-historical-notes-using-german-u-boats-black-sea/

Some of the links therein contain references to the shipping operations. These are the U-boat battlegrounds, not the Schnellboote nor aircraft, but it might give you some ideas on some suitable areas.

I have no "facts" on Kuban but i do feel a lean towards "fun" is in order as long as common sense applies.

Having the occasional oddity is fine too.

Id like to see more shipping (accurate timescales be damned) on all water courses on all maps.

• Upvote 2

​"Stopped at Stalingrad" which I have and read a few years ago covers this in some detail since the Luftwaffe did carry out anti-shipping operations in the Black Sea.

https://www.amazon.ca/Stopped-Stalingrad-Luftwaffe-Hitlers-1942-1943/dp/0700611460

As I recall, the Russian Black Sea fleet was very active prior to July 1942, supplying Sevastopol. After Sevastopol fell, they mostly stayed holed up in ports in the Caucasus. I will see what I can dig up.