ironk79

What was "Wow!" Moment?

Hello fellow pilots,

I had the idea for this post, just yesterday when i did some dogfithing and stumbled over a nice "Wow!" moment in this sim. I play flight sims for over 27 Years and its just amazing to see how far we have come (VR!).

Maybe the devs have an eye on this thead, so they ca see that we appreciate even little details that make this sim special.

Since i purchased my Oculus i spend 95% of playtime in BOS. Sitting in my 109 cockpit, looking left and right over my plane while sorring through the clouds is just marvelous.

A few days ago i did some tree level low flying in the 109, just chipped a tree with my right wing. I looked to the right, just to see if the wing was damaged, when i notice a crack in the right wing. As i watched the gab got bigger, almost like dough tearing, and suddently the wing came off - WOW, what a damage model!

Second "Wow!" moment yesterday, quick mission dogfight. I was chasing a LaG and pumping 20mm all over it, when the guy went down i was forced to to a barrel roll to not fly into him, while watching him go down. Unfortunatly i was already to close, so my right wing chipped his wing. His wing came off clean and the smoking plane tumbled towards earth. Again I checked my right wing, and there it was, a big gap growing in size.

I immediatly reduced throttle, the draft reduced and the gap closed again so. Not risking to much i was able to emergny land in a filed. Just amazing!

So, what were your WOW moment in BOx?

• Upvote 2

This is not technically a BoX moment, but once in RoF I witnessed a Handley Page in distress have its right engine come loose from the wing and fall off - only to hit- and absolutely obliterate a Sopwith that was passing by around 400 meters below. The odds are staggering to me, and that it could happen at all is a testament to the DM in that engine. If we're talking strokes of good fortune, however - I'm sure more people than I have given thanks to the spare set of wings on the Fokker Dreidecker after losing four out of six airfoils in battle, yet made it safely to ground with nothing but soiled britches and heart palpitations. 

There was also that time I was shot down while hunting trains on WoL and managed an emergency landing a mere few feet away from the tracks - wings off, tail cracked, canopy blown away, but my guns by sheer luck pointing straight at the incoming train so as to happily pepper away at it. Perhaps not a marvel of the engine's making, but I sure did appreciate it. ;)

Coming back to flight sims after a hiatus of a few years, I have only had BoX for a couple of months but one of the standout features for me was also the first time I noticed the wing on my 109 failing in the same way.  I've also been damaged by debris from another plane - something that was new to my simming universe. 

Another standout is the physics modelling and in particular the ground handling which is fantactic - for me nothing beats the sense of immersion I get from taxing out with other aircraft all correctly 'S' turning - just love it.  

Coming back to flight sims after a hiatus of a few years, I have only had BoX for a couple of months but one of the standout features for me was also the first time I noticed the wing on my 109 failing in the same way.  I've also been damaged by debris from another plane - something that was new to my simming universe. 

Another standout is the physics modelling and in particular the ground handling which is fantactic - for me nothing beats the sense of immersion I get from taxing out with other aircraft all correctly 'S' turning - just love it.  

You are right, watching old footage of 109s taking off one can see they also sometimes needed the full width of the runway, just like me

Definitely agree that damage from debris and wing tips falling off after high Gs when damaged are some of the top wow moments.

Another one that I've only managed to do once was putting out a fire on a Pe2 engine by diving from a high altitude.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

My wow moment was flying my PWCG campaign in VR, I was flying the Yak-1 trailing a 109 getting ready to open up my cannons on him.

One of my wingmen come in from the side and flew right smack into the side of the 109 resulting in a huge fireball just ahead of me. I managed to evade the fireball but it was quite the rush.

I have more wtf moments than wow ones but will never forget one moment when I intercepted a group of Pe-2 at 5k and the sun was setting down. It just looked beautiful :).

My first 'Wow' moment was just the scenery. Spawning in and finding it is just before dawn and the searchlights are scanning the sky while the high clouds are turning red.   Later I was wowed by seeing shafts of sunlight coming through the gaps in the clouds.     Just recently I noticed something that I don't recall seeing in other sims,  when you are dogfighting with the canopy open on the edge of the envelope eg you are yawing heavily or you have pulled back too hard and are on the edge of a high speed stall, you can hear the disturbed airflow coming into the cockpit.    In one of my first handful of flights I scraped a wing while taxiing and did not worry because no sim, not even DCS, modelled any effects from a simple scrape.  60 seconds after take-off my aileron fell off :-)

I find it hard to remember any *wow* moments purely because they happen so often.

Im always noticing little details that make me go "oooh".

VR has really helped me appreciate the staggering amount of detail ingame.

out of interest if you lose a wing tip, in pretty much anything in this sim, it's game over. I thought that aircraft could make it back sometimes with up to half a wing missing. Maybe those stories were for AC we don't currently have, or maybe its a limitation of the game engine. 

I did do a recording of me losing a wing tip in a yak. I was surprised to see the wing drop almost as if the entire wing had fallen off.

out of interest if you lose a wing tip, in pretty much anything in this sim, it's game over. I thought that aircraft could make it back sometimes with up to half a wing missing. Maybe those stories were for AC we don't currently have, or maybe its a limitation of the game engine.

I did do a recording of me losing a wing tip in a yak. I was surprised to see the wing drop almost as if the entire wing had fallen off.

https://youtu.be/sAgyrkCoRtg

See now I believe that if you had enough altitude to recover you may have been able to at least get the aircraft stable enough to glide it a forced landing... also the flaps down didn't help in the sudden change in wing design :)

See now I believe that if you had enough altitude to recover you may have been able to at least get the aircraft stable enough to glide it a forced landing... also the flaps down didn't help in the sudden change in wing design :)

true, low and slow is never a good combination. IIRC I had reduced rpm and throttle to try and help the engine last a little longer, but was unable to maintain altitude with flaps down. I tried raising flaps to pick up a little airspeed, and this was when the wing condition rapidly degraded. I think I then tried to deploy flaps again just before breaking point. 

My expectation would have been that in this scenario I would have gone down in any case. I had lost the left elevator so would have been unable to pick it up with the stick, but if the wing was still providing most of the lift, as I think it should have been, I should have had time to kick in full right rudder, open the throttle and attempt a forced landing / controlled crash landing of sorts.

I think more than just the asymmetrical lift, you stalled immediately because you lost a significant amount of lift and your airspeed was so low.

I think more than just the asymmetrical lift, you stalled immediately because you lost a significant amount of lift and your airspeed was so low.

I wondered about this, but then felt that the wing root, if it was providing lift before at that speed, before the wing broke apart, then the wing root, was still providing lift after ? I do not think the wing should have full blown stalled ?

Edited by =FEW=Herne

I wrecked a yak in my Emil, as a 3 ship we drove under him and I made a climbing shot into his stubby Russian butt. He reacted to the assault upon his life by a hard pull, removing his wing, which flipped into my canopy, which came off, which then cartwheeled into my #3 removing his wing.

In VR, in MP.

• Upvote 6

I wondered about this, but then felt that the wing root, if it was providing lift before at that speed, before the wing broke apart, then the wing root, was still providing lift after ? I do not think the wing should have full blown stalled ?

Its kind of a snowball effect. I couldn't read your airspeed exactly when it broke off, but if you are at the edge of stall, you are relying on the lift generated by the whole wing, and when the tip stops lifting, you go over the cliff, so to speak; pitch increase, total stall of wing, stall, spin, all in a fraction of a second. I have seen videos where the stuka for instance loses both wings (broken at the landing gear) and is able to generate enough lift for an emergency landing, so I am pretty confident whats left of the wing would generate lift, but not below the new stalling speed dictated by the altered wing geometry.

The cooling fan on the FW-190 is geared and turns at the proper ratio with the crankshaft/prop.

• Upvote 3

I find it hard to remember any *wow* moments purely because they happen so often.

Im always noticing little details that make me go "oooh".

This ^^

I am very impressed, and I can't wait to experience all that is coming.

Being in a furball with at least 15 aircraft and still getting more than 60 frames per second on a monitor

Hitting a wing with an accurate burst and seeing it break convincingly

Sitting in a tank while a Sturmovik or Stuka obliterates enemies just 100 m away

Spending an hour fighting through a town that could be overflown in seconds

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

https://youtu.be/J_VMRPekYJU?t=1m22s To spare the boring part i placed the link on the "WoW" moment... never seen an aircraft fall apart that fast before ... the damage mechanics of the game are amazing, still cant get the bending wings and such that seems to be only part of this sim :) (And RoF)

• Like 1

This goes all the way back to IL-2: Birds of Prey, but the first time I realized that the damage model allowed for a complete hole to be shot into a wing. Coming through a very tough fight and then going into third person on the way home and viewing the English countryside through all the holes in my wings. 

Wow!

Here's mine - and it's from the Mission Editor. A couple of months after I learned the basics of slotting a mission together fairly quickly, I started experimenting in using "reports" and triggers from one object to cause a change in the mission, building up more complex groups of behaviour. Suddenly it hit me - I was doing graphicallly with blocks and arrows forming causal links between objects and behaviours - what I'd tried and never really succeeded in doing with "scripting" in CloD. Often in CloD, I'd bemoan the syntax of scripting - all those brackets and parentheses! And I'd wish there was some sort of graphical way to do it, instead of having to try and learn programming language.

And of course, I suddenly realised that that's exactly what the ME offers. Just great (after you get over the conceptual leap you have to make. After that it's like slotting things together - great fun).

Specifically, my greatest wow moment so far was with an early training mission I made where the trainee and instructor approach the high viaduct on the Don near its southern bend, and I had a train spawning in and crossing the viaduct just as the players fly over - or under - the viaduct! Ah, the satisfaction when that worked exactly as it should and looked exactly as cool as I'd hoped!

• Upvote 4

I've had many over the years although sometimes they are rare when you play so often. Sometimes you have to step away to truly appreciate how good something is.

Two wow moments that I ended up putting in a cinematic involve flying the IL-2. I was doing an attack run and go caught up in some fighters. A Bf109 was flying near me and I decided to try and get him... Forgetting that I had A-G mode on my stick set (I have the two triggers for cannons/machine guns set to an alternate mode with rockets and bombs) I fired what I thought was a burst of cannon fire but ended up being a rocket launch. Hit a Bf109 at nearly 90 degrees deflection angle. Caught that one in a track and later made its way into a cinematic.

Then there was a massive Bf109 vs Yak-1 dogfight going on around me (again in an IL-2) and the Yaks swooped in firing... there's tracer and smoke everywhere and then a Yak-1 rams a Bf109 practically in-front of me. Very dramatic.

You can see both of those in this cinematic I did ages ago now (should start at 2:16)!

https://youtu.be/cxnmL_-hcEM?t=2m16s

For me it was strapping on the VR headset for the first time and thinking "I'm really in a cockpit!".

Other than that, honestly it was RoF that blew me away - and the moment was jumping into a Pfalz and watching the pistons clicking in front  of me.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I went wow when i realized i had bought hitler's personal plane when i bought the Ju-52.

In one of my rare MP moments: very slowly sneaking up under a 109 and a 190 flying together at high altitude over Stalingrad, just above the contrail height, in the early morning dark, in my Lagg, while they chatted on TS about something banal.    :)   Oh how they screamed when the tracers hit them...

Edited by unreasonable

Yesterday i encountered something that looked like a few bullets were ricocheting from the enemy plane, can anyone confirm?

Edited by ironk79
  • Upvote 1

Yesterday i encountered something that looked like a few bullets were ricocheting from the enemy plane, can anyone confirm?

Definitely there.

Once lost a flap in the Yak on flareout, just before touchdown. My right wing crashed vicously into the ground and the right hand gear collapsed, spinning around violently.

I'm a bit sad parts get lost rather seldom. Never had that occur to me again.

Yeah, it's a thing.

I dont see it often though.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

all in VR of course, lots of wow moments

tracers whizzing past and all around you as you attack bombers in clouds and sun rays

ground aa arcing up toward you as maneuver en route to a target. 

cloud modeling. not enough can be said for just flying through and above under clouds. epic. just miraculous coding. (go try that in DCS)

the tall billowing smoke at attacked locations, spotlights

sheets of rain coming down in 3d mama mia!

flying 90fps over Kuban and dipping down onto a tree lined road at 350mph+ and looking out the window...then up it by doing the same and attacking a train head on.  

too many to count. and yes, Ive had the wing moment too.  just awesome.

https://youtu.be/J_VMRPekYJU?t=1m22s To spare the boring part i placed the link on the "WoW" moment... never seen an aircraft fall apart that fast before ... the damage mechanics of the game are amazing, still cant get the bending wings and such that seems to be only part of this sim :) (And RoF)

that is a WOW! holy sh indeed

Shot down a bogey with my Yak at low alt and flew through his death explosion at 4-5m in VR with open cockpit. The flames were engulfing me, they reached for me.

I had my WOW moment the other night flying online in a Ju-88 climbing out i went into clouds and i didn't know there was a He-111 H-16 on the same heading above me in the same cloud. I pop out of the clouds look up and saw his 2 x 1000kg bomb load with a nice white rudder paint scheme and the letter G and P under the wing.....  attach the picture afterwards 

post-16026-0-58537300-1517969368_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit sad parts get lost rather seldom. Never had that occur to me again.

I've noticed that as well. I remember in the original IL-2, it was a fairly common occurrence to lose control surfaces and bits and pieces, or suffer snapped control cables. I almost never see that happen these days. Engine damage/failure seems to be much more prevalent. Not sure which is realistic but it's definitely noticeable.

When the Ju 52 came out i was just messing around with the the old gal doing goofy aerobatics and stuff with 8 la 5s after me. Anyway, i was looping under a bridge and and as i am climbing near vertical I roll to check the bridge behind me and one of the AI La 5s hit the ice following me under the bridge. He just slid and slid and slid. I don't know why but that has stayed with me since. That does remind me too the first time i crash landed in the snow (inb4 summer maps) and saw the tracks you leave behind I thought that was just phenomenal.

When you shoot someone at close range and not only see your shell explode on their fuselage, but hear it as well, and see their whole plane get punched to the side and wobble, and the puff of smoke and debris. A lot of attention to detail in the damage model.

I've noticed that as well. I remember in the original IL-2, it was a fairly common occurrence to lose control surfaces and bits and pieces, or suffer snapped control cables. I almost never see that happen these days. Engine damage/failure seems to be much more prevalent. Not sure which is realistic but it's definitely noticeable.

That was quite a contentious issue with IL-2 1946 and the control cables always breaking. On aircraft like the FW190 where they used rods it seemed to break even more often than on the aircraft with the cables. This may be a good thing.

I have definitely ended up with partial control failure from damage though. It seems more detailed and less likely to take out the whole system when you suffer some damage.

Many wow moments, one early one stands out..

The 1st time i looked around and flew in Kanonenvogel Stuka .... i was just blown away by the detail...

As a kid  (1980s.....) i got my hands on a 1:48 Monogram kit and was obsessed with it for a while.., remember drilling the muzzle brakes/flame suppressors... and hunting for any documentations I can get my hands on... (little challenging, living in Eastern Block country and before internet..);  spent hours trying to figure out what all the different part of the gun pods were and how to model them...

Never finished it, oh well :)

but I CAN FLY ONE NOW!!!

• Upvote 1

Here's mine - and it's from the Mission Editor. A couple of months after I learned the basics of slotting a mission together fairly quickly, I started experimenting in using "reports" and triggers from one object to cause a change in the mission, building up more complex groups of behaviour. Suddenly it hit me - I was doing graphicallly with blocks and arrows forming causal links between objects and behaviours - what I'd tried and never really succeeded in doing with "scripting" in CloD. Often in CloD, I'd bemoan the syntax of scripting - all those brackets and parentheses! And I'd wish there was some sort of graphical way to do it, instead of having to try and learn programming language.

And of course, I suddenly realised that that's exactly what the ME offers. Just great (after you get over the conceptual leap you have to make. After that it's like slotting things together - great fun).

Specifically, my greatest wow moment so far was with an early training mission I made where the trainee and instructor approach the high viaduct on the Don near its southern bend, and I had a train spawning in and crossing the viaduct just as the players fly over - or under - the viaduct! Ah, the satisfaction when that worked exactly as it should and looked exactly as cool as I'd hoped!

Having flown this training mission I can confirm that this was a great wow moment for me Swallow. Hurry up and finish your Snowed under campaign as I've had many Wow moments testing the missions you've already completed.