spartan85

First cargo mission

So I went ahead and got myself the JU52 finally and took her out for a spin on the Finnish virtual server. Suprizingly enough, all the other ones I fly were full! Yay!:(

It was nice for a change, announced position along the way and then on final it was nice to see a flight of He111's holding short while my slow lumbering aircraft made its way to the field.

I found navigating a bit tricky as you pretty much have the left window only to look out of.(and visability being only 5 miles didn't help) And you cannot see your right engine, completely dependant on your instrument panel.

Very agile for a transport I would say, and the flap-stab Co control is kinda neat when you get the hang of it. Ground handle is amazing.

I only wishows there was more to play with on the controls...

Anywho, found my new role.

Thanks devs, this kite is quite nice!

Edited by spartan85
  • Upvote 2

I am glad that you enjoy cargo Missions!

I enjoy them too a lot!

what I love with the Ju52 is that this is so an unique aircraft compared to others we have. So fun to fly on the same time!

look at what I love to see on MP missions:

Ach! this feels so good to help our team in that way.

Gosh I love so much flying transport!

post-467-0-75385200-1517529679_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Transport missions in MP? Would you mind enlightenimg me? I only just started going into multiplayer. Is there some sort of aircraft stock replenishing or something upon a successful transport flight in some missions/servers?

Yes! On servers like TAW or Coconuts expert..

The Russian side has the pe2 as cargo and axis side has the he111 and the ju52.

Ideally, the ju52 is where it's at since it actually has a load out of cargo being crates, droppable pods, or paratroopers.

The servers make scripts to accommodate these aircraft so you don't have to be in a combat role.

It's my new fav. :)

• Upvote 1

Very agile for a transport I would say, and the flap-stab Co control is kinda neat when you get the hang of it. Ground handle is amazing.

I only wishows there was more to play with on the controls...

Anywho, found my new role.

Yeah, I didn't realize how strange the flap and stabilizer setup was. I jumped on Coconuts Expert to fly a cargo mission myself for the first time this week with some others... But it makes sense - If I'm throwing flaps down on downwind/base checks... I'm also backing off throttle and trimming nose up. It's an interesting way to combine 2 things that pretty much have to happen at the same time anyway.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I didn't realize how strange the flap and stabilizer setup was. I jumped on Coconuts Expert to fly a cargo mission myself for the first time this week with some others... But it makes sense - If I'm throwing flaps down on downwind/base checks... I'm also backing off throttle and trimming nose up. It's an interesting way to combine 2 things that pretty much have to happen at the same time anyway.

Ya this week was interesting, I flew my first almost night missions. Got to see the stars pop out through gaps in the overcast... they really do twinkle

Coming to PWCG this weekend:

Cargo transport missions (airfield to airfield)

Parachute drop missions behind enemy lines (often at night)

Cargo drop missions near the front.

Spy extraction missions ... land in enemy territory at night.

Not sure if I am going to keep  the last mission type.  In truth the landing spot is just a waypoint and I count on the player to land.  Opinions?

• Upvote 3

Wowzers!?

Hell yes!

With the ju52 for spy mission at night, that thing can almost land on a dime.

I've no knowledge on how scripting works but I suppose the landing spot could work like in ROF where there was a timer on how long you had to stay until the 'spy' was aboard.

Or a spy resupply, gotta land and unload cargo for them....

Oh, and don't forget medivac missions.

And Pat, you do a fantastic job. Thank you for your efforts!

Edited by spartan85

For the spy extraction mission maybe you could have the airfield AAA turn on after the player has taken off from the enemy airfield, or put it on a timer. imagine just hauling ass away from the field as they take pot shots at you.

Also I think it would have to be a group of spies to warrant the 52. otherwise why not just bring a 110 with no gunner ;)

Edited by =SqSq=switch201

Not sure if I am going to keep the last mission type. In truth the landing spot is just a waypoint and I count on the player to land. Opinions?

Regarding the spy extraction, i tried to make a mission where you had to land on a grassfield to unload heavy cargo, and then take off again.

It turned out to be a lot harder than i thought because the plane would get stuck as if there was a lot of mud, and the Ju52 didnt have enough power to move and take off.

Try landing and taking off from random grass fields before you put the effort to build a mission type. It might not be feasible.

The ju52 can not takeoff from grass when loaded, but can take off from ice and roads.

Sounds yummy to me!

I currently have the load as paratrooper.  I could set it to empty, which probably makes more sense.  It is definitely not a cargo load.

I don't think the ju52 could realistically perform spy extraction from unprepared fields. In the war much lighter aircraft such as the Westland Lysander did this role.

I don't think the ju52 could realistically perform spy extraction from unprepared fields. In the war much lighter aircraft such as the Westland Lysander did this role.

Yeah, but it's not all about historical accuracy.  Sometimes I put stuff in that is just fun to do.  Sticklers for accuracy can scrub the mission and generate a new one.

• Upvote 2

Not sure if I am going to keep  the last mission type.  In truth the landing spot is just a waypoint and I count on the player to land.  Opinions?

I get a new pc pretty soon, and I will DL your fine mod. I really long for a good SP expirience a´la old IL 2.

I was really sad that Red side was not able to utilize the JU 52 , the site was full of protest , I really would love to fly it more, but server balance is so wrong all the time. I fly civil transport with MI 8 in DCS , I love transport

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

Of course, just because a small plane is enough to take one spy, a bigger one would be a waste of ressources.

However, The Ju52 can be considered somehow as a stealth plane for extraction because of its low speed and noise. Moreover, his short take off and landing capabilities are good for this role.

We just have a Ju52 for that task, so why not using it until we have the Po2? (perfect aircraft for spy extraction!)

We just have a Ju52 for that task, so why not using it until we have the Po2? (perfect aircraft for spy extraction!)

Or the Fieseler Storch for the german side.

• Upvote 1

Of course, just because a small plane is enough to take one spy, a bigger one would be a waste of ressources.

However, The Ju52 can be considered somehow as a stealth plane for extraction because of its low speed and noise. Moreover, his short take off and landing capabilities are good for this role.

I was more questioning if it actually should be able realistically take off from an unprepared field or not? I don't really care if it did it irl just if it actually could or not. The thing weighs about 5 tons empty!

Just out of interest is it possible to select the number of troopers to drop? If dropping just a spy or two it would be more immersive to have that number animated instead of the max amount

Back in IL2:1946 I made a single player spy extraction mission using the Mosquito. Night mission, had the field marked with a few fires; flak units dispersed along the "lines"; German ground units moving in to the area as you landed so you had to make a quick turnaround; a nightfighter jumping you on the way out if you got too high, which is easy to do at night.

Extremely fun stuff, if not 100% historically accurate. Make the mission, please!

I'm just coming back to flight sims after a hiatus of several years, and looking forward to this new generation of IL2!

• Upvote 1