I'm working on a setup for an air raid siren.  The logic is that when the Russian planes get within 7000 meters of the airfield, the siren goes off.  Once there are no more Russian planes within 7000 meters of the airfield, the siren should turn off.  How I've set this up is with two Complex Triggers.

The START Trigger is set as follows:

Radius - 7000 meters

Events Filter - Object Entered

Check Planes - checked

Object Script List - set for all IL2 and Yak1 planes (there is a flight of 4 IL2s and a flight of 4 Yak1s flying cover)

Countries - Russia

The STOP Trigger is set as follows:

Radius - 7000 meters

Events Filter - Object Left

Check Planes - checked

Object Script List - set for all IL2 and Yak1 planes

Countries - Russia

An image of the setup below:

ME_Image.PNG

The seems to work okay... for the most part.  However, I've noticed a couple of things that I have questions about.

The first is the Complex START Trigger.  I know the Trigger fires for every Russian plane that crosses the 7000 Radius, but will that also force the activation of the Siren to fire for every plane that enters?  I've noticed that the siren sounds odd - it cuts off in odd places and immediately starts again, and I've wondered if there are multiple instances of the siren firing as a result (this was the reason for the Deactivate Triggers on the Complex Triggers - to try to deactivate them the 2 seconds after they activate to stop this if it's happening).

The second is the Complex STOP Trigger.  This fires the moment any single IL2 or Yak1 exits the 7000 radius - even if there's still planes attacking the base (I have OnDamagedEvents triggered for the Russian planes to head for home if damaged).  Would it be better to use a Check Zone Trigger for this - and if so, how would I set it up (i.e., Further, with all the Russian planes indicated in Plane Coalitions)?

Edited by cerebus06

I would use proximity triggers for this setup rather than complex triggers or check zones.

I'm laying in bed with my iPad so can't be more help right now :)

I'll check back in tomorrow.

Thanks - I've thought of Proximity Triggers, but considering the examples in JimTM's ME manual and the issue that was discussed in this thread I have been trying to use Check Zone Triggers instead.  However, I can't seem to figure out the logic... I can get the siren to go off when the Russian planes enter the Check Zone Trigger radius, but I can't get the siren to turn off with a second one set to Further.

Proximity Triggers - I'll build it if I get some time later.

You can use check zones or complex triggers, bit proximity is my first choice.

Edited by Gambit21

Here you go.

You can adjust the coverage areas of the two triggers as well as the timers as you wish.

Basically the proximity "closer" detects the Russian aircraft and triggers the siren, and also deactivates itself.

It does this so that another aircraft entering the area doesn't activate the siren again.

When the "further" proximity trigger detects no further enemy aircraft in the area, it deactivates the siren and re-activates the proximity "closer"

Pretty simple. I can make it more complex but there's really no need. :)

You can easily replace the proximity triggers with check zones and get rid of the German unit.

The proximity triggers need an object.

Gambit21_Proximity Air Raid Siren.zip

post-23599-0-70612700-1516498020_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I thank you profusely!

My problem was the activation / deactivation between the two triggers... I wasn't quite grasping that for some reason.  Your example tested perfectly (as expected), and I changed the Proximity Triggers with Check Zone Triggers (which works better for my situation) and it worked flawlessly:

ME_Siren2.PNG

Thank you again!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, 392FS_SPEKTRE76 said:

Can anyone tell me how to make an Air Raid siren in the updated mission builder please?

If you follow the graphic immediately above your post, it will work, with the following setup in the Check Zone Triggers.

Set the CHECK ZONE SIREN CLOSER's advanced property "Distance Type (Closer)" to checked, set the "Zone (1)" to whatever range you want (I usually set it at between 6000 and 9000 meters), then set the Plane Coalitions to "TRUE" for whichever coalition you want to trigger the siren - for example, if  you want German planes to trigger it, set Axis to TRUE.

For the CHECK ZONE SIREN FURTHER, all the settings are the same except set the "Zone (1)" to about 100 meters further than the CLOSER Check Zone, and UNCHECK the "Distance Type" so it reads "Distance Type (Further)."

That should do it.

The SIREN ON and SIREN OFF Subtitle MCUs are optional - I put those there when I was testing so I could see a pop up message when the siren fired, and when it shut off.  You probably don't want those in an actual mission.

Edited by TP_Fritz

11 minutes ago, 392FS_SPEKTRE76 said:

I'll try it again. I can't object link any of the 'Siren' effects as shown above.

Make the siren effect object a linked entity.

11 hours ago, JimTM said:

Make the siren effect object a linked entity.

I did, I'll try it all from scratch again tonight. I'll make a video and post it here of what I am doing.

1 hour ago, 392FS_SPEKTRE76 said:

I did, I'll try it all from scratch again tonight. I'll make a video and post it here of what I am doing.

...or you can zip and post the mission if you like.

Okay my friend =o). I'll do that instead. And feel free to use my AAA groups. They are set up for extreme anti-vulching :lol:

They're not set up correctly then.

6 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

They're not set up correctly then.

I used the graphic in Post #6 as my reference and followed TP_Fritz's instructions. Even JimTM's, the writter of mission guide, go off no matter what. I think I have an object somewhere within my 10000m range.

I want it to only go off for AXIS. It is set up like that. I did not see any stray AXIS assets withing the Radius.

1.thumb.JPG.20c0941caa4f9c1e3ffdefed7a5510c7.JPG2.JPG.5a0c5a3fd8cd25825992470a89103ac7.JPG3.JPG.242eea3c190da6cba28ec1f891a4d095.JPG

25 minutes ago, 325TH_SPEKTRE76 said:

I used the graphic in Post #6 as my reference and followed TP_Fritz's instructions. Even JimTM's, the writter of mission guide, go off no matter what. I think I have an object somewhere within my 10000m range.

I want it to only go off for AXIS. It is set up like that. I did not see any stray AXIS assets withing the Radius.

1. Jim's what? From where?

2. By "AXIS assets", do you mean planes and vehicles (including ships)?

3. It's probably a good idea to post your mission.

• Upvote 1

This is the one you made for me. It just stopped working for some reason. It was fine when you gave it to me. But yeah I want it to go off for planes and vehicles. My base is on the allied side and none of my planes are axis. I searched around and no stray axis assets.

should I only use  'Plane Coalitions' ?

Edited by 325TH_SPEKTRE76

Deleted it and made from scratch. Sounds good now and Waypoints working.

• Upvote 1

Back to square one.

• I cad copied and pasted the siren I made from scratch.
  • I placed it at the LW field and changed the 'Axis' to false and 'Allies' to true as one would expect to do.

I believe for what ever reason it linked itself to the original at my Allied field. Is such a think even possible? Because now even though set up as before it goes off when I spawn and both fields. I know I sound like a complete noob, it's because I am. =o)

That blue type is annoying FYI.

No logic in the editor can “link itself” 

1 hour ago, 325TH_SPEKTRE76 said:

Back to square one.

• I cad copied and pasted the siren I made from scratch.
  • I placed it at the LW field and changed the 'Axis' to false and 'Allies' to true as one would expect to do.

I believe for what ever reason it linked itself to the original at my Allied field. Is such a think even possible? Because now even though set up as before it goes off when I spawn and both fields. I know I sound like a complete noob, it's because I am. =o)

Y'all the group that's trying to setup a NA server correct? I see some of the FNBF regulars (SCG) have taken an interest into your endeavors.

No your not seeing things SPEKTRE76. If you had missed copying a part of the logic that an MCU was targeting then create a new group with that logic it will attempt and sometimes succeed in linking to something else. Generally within the group but perhaps you've inadvertently combined the groups when your copied the original and made the changes.

Additionally FYI when making the Save As new mission name from testing within SP over to Deathmatch for final testing every great once in a while a link will drop.

So yes a quick check of the logic is called for when moving missions back and forth from SP to Deathmatch or Co-Op when testing and creating online content. 

As to your siren logic the pic above you posted 19 hours ago looks good if you wish the siren to go off for planes and vehicles. After redoing the logic link from one group to the other make sure again that you've cleared all Allied or Axis linked entities from within the CZ radius respective of their sides.

You were correct in thinking that you may have had some stray setting off the siren in error.   

Good Luck with your Mission Designing.

Tip

• Like 1

I find that it’s helpful to start from scratch sometimes if I’m not getting the behavior that I anticipate. It can be the simplest thing that for some reason your brain isn’t seeing.

Just a few nights ago, the simplest thing - on report took off to waypoint wasn’t working. Couldn’t figure out what was wrong so rebuilt it 30 seconds flat and it worked.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, [DBS]Tx_Tip said:

Y'all the group that's trying to setup a NA server correct? I see some of the FNBF regulars (SCG) have taken an interest into your endeavors.

Yes sir we are. We are working on our second mission which is very complex. It was given to my CO from the owner of New Wings to which we credit him on a pop up message that runs every 30min. Our server runs from 4:00pm - 5:00am PST every weekend. The current mission will be expanded to four hours because there are a metric f--k ton of targets to kill. We would need at least 40+ pilots to kill them all. I even added mission end warnings and smoke on the runways signifying approach and departure ends for safety.

Thank you sir. I'll just rebuild them all from scratch. I'm starting to memorize the groups now and even coming up with my own way of doing things.

Edited by 325TH_SPEKTRE76