Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Move IL-2 to different SSD?

Hey gang,

Thinking about moving my install of IL-2 to another SSD, to help make a little room on the SSD it is installed on.

Is it simply a matter of copying all files over to the other SSD and then just changing the target location of the shortcut?

I think you have to edit the registry to point to the new location as well so the patching works properly, but it's been so long since I didn't it I can't remember exactly. I know I had to do that for Elite Dangerous, so I may be conflating the two.

Ive always had to reinstall as copying the files over by itself is not enough.

If you have a Steam install and after moving the files try to reinstall as Steam may find it and will simply fix the install than re downloading the entire thing.

Should be no problem just copying the files, at least it worked the last time i did that (which was a some months ago).

• Upvote 1

Don't know about the steam version, but you can just copy it all and then change the target location. Heck, I ran it once from a thumb drive just by copying it over.

Is it simply a matter of copying all files over to the other SSD and then just changing the target location of the shortcut?

That's what I did, and had no problems.

Cloyd

I can t tell you about the steam version , that said  for the non steam version, you copy you paste and  it s done  , no need to install anything or to play with the registry .

I 've  two folders on 2 different HDD with each of them "one Bos"  in it . AND 2 shortcuts...

The first time i try this was when i ve installed Reshade just to test without risks on my original install , and i ve tried this a second time to see if there s a performance difference between Bos on a Hdd and Bos on a SSD...

so i use to have three BOS on my PC on 3 different Disk (2 HDD 1 SSD ) 2 of those "bos" were just copy/paste of the original one and  each of them work perfectly .

Don't know about the steam version, but you can just copy it all and then change the target location. Heck, I ran it once from a thumb drive just by copying it over.

Good to know, I will give that a try - thanks much to all that responded!

Good to know, I will give that a try - thanks much to all that responded!

Let us know how you get on as I tried this the other day to no success! Good luck!

If you have the Steam version, in Steam you can select another Steam game directory folder.. You can have as many as you want.. So I usually have 4 or 5 of the games I am playing on my main SSD and some lesser games on my larger platter drive, if I am done with something, I tell steam to move the game to the E: drive.. If I am picking a game back up I haven't played in a while, I can tell it to move from the E: drive to C: drive steam location, only takes a few minutes and is seemless.

It's a really nice feature that Steam integrated a few years ago, don't have to worry about broken links or anything.

When Steam is not available for such a thing, I use junctions. I have 5 different harddrives, 2 of them SSDs. There are wormholes everywhere, so much, the universe would collapse if I removed one without mirror!  :ph34r: