Use flaps only if you really have to.

In a dogfight they will decrease your turn radius but drag you quite a bit, for quick manouvers you can use no more than 15°, when you are scissoring you can lower them to max 25° but then you really have to win the fight rather quickly. When you have the chance to manouver without them then put in your flaps. Pneumatic flaps have an advantage here in general.

For 109s when turning with yaks or LALAs you can use maximum of 10% flaps. 15% will drain your speed like ex-wifes like to drain wallets. And when you are slowing down below 400kph, retract, break and get speed with alt otherwise the yak will eat you alive.

I found setting flaps to around 30-40% in combat with the I16 makes it far less likely to stall out in turns. It is a bit of work,it's not that you can set and forget. You have to adjust them a lot during a fight depending on circumstances.

If you are using the BF-109 and find yourself using flaps in a turning fight the prognosis is not good for survival. Energy fighter technique suggests the highest possible speed and the highest possible altitude to maintain the advantage. Deploying flaps may improve your rate of turn etc but will remove you from the energy equation.  I cannot speak for the other aircraft. The Spitfire was a turning fight machine and this may well have been a good tactic to use in that machine.

If you are using the BF-109 and find yourself using flaps in a turning fight the prognosis is not good for survival.

Or you are beating a lone LA5 to the ground.