Problems in getting your joystick or controller recognized? Try this

Buzzsaw

If you are having problems getting the game to recognize your joystick or game controller, try the following:

Go to Steam Controllers, uncheck the "Generic GamePad Configuration Support" in Steam Controller settings.

STEAM Interface > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings > Generic Gamepad Configuration Support.

https://image.ibb.co/k1xNx6/Steam_Controller_panel.png

• 11 months later...

I have a problem because I cannot get my controller to work with COD while works well with BOS. I went to the above link and it was identified as an X-box One controller, what I should do next? Many thanks in advance for any support.

Alberto

• 1 year later...
On 12/5/2018 at 6:54 PM, alb49 said:

I have a problem because I cannot get my controller to work with COD while works well with BOS. I went to the above link and it was identified as an X-box One controller, what I should do next? Many thanks in advance for any support.

Alberto

switching this off fixed my situation:

CLoD Steam input mapping 2.jpg

71st_AH_Mastiff
On 12/19/2017 at 2:07 PM, Buzzsaw said:

If you are having problems getting the game to recognize your joystick or game controller, try the following:

Go to Steam Controllers, uncheck the "Generic GamePad Configuration Support" in Steam Controller settings.

STEAM Interface > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings > Generic Gamepad Configuration Support.

https://image.ibb.co/k1xNx6/Steam_Controller_panel.png

unfortunately this is not the case, I have a Throottle T50 CM v2 Virpil and none of the buttons are recognized..

only the axis work. 

also I notice double layer skins when you select the default custom skins it lays over the default skin already in use.

20 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

unfortunately this is not the case, I have a Throottle T50 CM v2 Virpil and none of the buttons are recognized..

only the axis work. 

also I notice double layer skins when you select the default custom skins it lays over the default skin already in use.

Hello Mastiff... please check to make sure you deleted your cache file prior to starting... this may be causing the skin problem.

If the joystick axes are being recognized, you should be able to program your buttons using the interface.

But you do need to go in and manually enter the buttons.

71st_AH_Mastiff
3 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

Hello Mastiff... please check to make sure you deleted your cache file prior to starting... this may be causing the skin problem.

If the joystick axes are being recognized, you should be able to program your buttons using the interface.

But you do need to go in and manually enter the buttons.

Yes but the virpil is a 64 button DX throttle controller and is recognized by Il2 no issues, but in cliffs it doesn’t see the base buttons, it does however see the throttle grip buttons but not the base buttons.
tried everything doesn't recognize base buttons from the Virpil T50 CM2 v3  throttle controller. 

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50cm2-throttle.html

throttlet50cm2.thumb.jpg.309df36cc51f7aaa81f5657eb290b470.jpg

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

4 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

Yes but the virpil is a 64 button DX throttle controller and is recognized by Il2 no issues, but in cliffs it doesn’t see the base buttons, it does however see the throttle grip buttons but not the base buttons.
tried everything doesn't recognize base buttons from the Virpil T50 CM2 v3  throttle controller. 

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50cm2-throttle.html

CloD recognized only 32 buttons (+POV HAT, 8 axes) controllers.

See in VirPil software if you can split T50CM2 throttle in two 32 buttons controller - VKB allow this with their sticks, up to 4x32 or 2x64.

If not you need use 3rd party  key mapper for this, e.g. Joystick Gremlin.

Havoc Company has several videos about VirPil software settings: https://www.youtube.com/user/HavocCompanyClan/search?query=virpil

Edited by Sokol1

LLv34_Temuri
6 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

If not you need use 3rd party  key mapper for this, e.g. Joystick Gremlin.

Using this myself. Assigning non-recognized buttons to vJoy by using Gremlin.

• 3 weeks later...

My gosh, why is this so difficult? I have spent now 3 hours trying to get the game to even recognize my Logical Extreme 3D. I did all the Steam configs and checks and it recognizes the joystick just fine. win10 sees it no problems but it is invisible to COD Blitz. I am not a programmer and I find working this hard to config a game the definition of boring and frustrating.  Can I just download a basic config file somewhere and play?

2 hours ago, JKF011 said:

My gosh, why is this so difficult? I have spent now 3 hours trying to get the game to even recognize my Logical Extreme 3D. I did all the Steam configs and checks and it recognizes the joystick just fine. win10 sees it no problems but it is invisible to COD Blitz. I am not a programmer and I find working this hard to config a game the definition of boring and frustrating.  Can I just download a basic config file somewhere and play?

Search results show threads like this which may be of use to you. There'll be others if you look.

Make sure steam settings are unchecked.

GL

Daz

3 hours ago, JKF011 said:

I did all the Steam configs and checks and it recognizes the joystick just fine.

Just in case Steam should not see your joystick as "generic gamepad", in Steam controller settings all options should be disabled.

And the Forced OFF selected, like above linked picture.

... but it is invisible to COD Blitz... Can I just download a basic config file somewhere and play?

This game will not assign buttons and axes automatically for any joystick, neither the "config"  done by someone with the same joystick will help, because a unique ID number created by Windows for identify joystick is used.

Is need assign each axes and button manually, what is not much work as 3D PRO has 4 axes and ~10 buttons. :) 

Button on top of your joystick should control weapons (MG, cannons) and camera views, zoom,... not things like landing gear, canopy...set this in buttons on base, if want, but prioritize buttons for important things like propeller pitch adjust, that will be used frequently and not 1 or at best 2 times per flight like landing gear, canopy.

But assign axes and buttons is just like in any other game, select a command, e.g. "Aileron" click in the box in the pop-up window, move joystick side to side,  click APLY and so on for other commands.

See in this "blah, blah, blah" video.

Suggestion of assignments for start:

843025822_3DPRO.thumb.png.7d521c192bd46e12f1b65616d4611e23.png

Edited by Sokol1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I finally got my older MS Sidewinder 2 to work in and out of steam. Only solution that worked for me was to go directly into game and map the joystick in the control option in game. In plane portion I would highlight what action I wanted for JS and moved or pressed button as appropriate . Saved and applied to game and everything works.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Amazing that in 2021 we need to go through so many hoops to get a joystick to work on a flight sim. I played games in the eighties that were better engineered for joysticks. The software publisher should fix this in an update once and for all and Steam should make them. Silly. An expensive flight sim that does not support a joystick off the shelf. Also I do not understasnd why some of their games work well with Joysticks, while others like Dover do not. So after trying everything suggested many times, incluidng the so call fix joystick app from the publisher, I cannot get my Logitech Extreme 3D to work, and I work in IT. Pathetic. Why did they release a flight sim that doesn't work with joysticks??? Come on software development team, really? Making users do their jobs. The game should be way cheaper for this dumb waste of their customer's time. Come on Steam, go to bat for your customers!!!. I have bought so many Steam games but now I am just fed up. Steam needs more competition!

• 2 weeks later...
=RS=Stix_09

conflicts with steam controller are also covered in the games toubleshooting manual(Getting Started And Troubleshooting Guide.pdf),

image.thumb.png.95362fd09c5352a260bdc8116558e080.png

ppl just don't read it... 

Another important thing. You must connect your controllers to the same USB ports or the game detects them as alternative devices and you will either have to remap/rebind them (or use a program like notpad++ to search and replace all the new device ids with the old ones (confUser.ini file)

I don't know what device ids the game is using but they are not the GUID's  shown in devreorder.(whats a GUID? see this)

I my case for example my  VKB-Sim Gladiator NXT-R   has a GUID of "6f3cb550-ff44-11ea-8001-444553540000" (devreorder can show these)
but game creates one like this "_VKB-Sim_Gladiator_NXT_R__-3BE3291F" which appears to be change depending on the usb port(whereas the guid is unique)

I prefer the approch used by il-2 Gb which uses GUIDs  stored in the devices.txt file so its very easy to reassign the device id to the joystick id used in game if you forgot which usb ports you may have previously connected that device(s) to. So if you do unplug them from the computer beware!( I have 3 dif controllers in my game)

IMHO the whole way devices are  managed in the sim is a nightmare and puts many ppl of this great sim.

I suspect this is probably not something easy to change without a complete code rewrite because of the old programming interface  used in this game (and a lot of work to fix, because its a pre windows 10 inferface ).

😖

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

Buzzsaw
On 2/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, ikteros said:

Amazing that in 2021 we need to go through so many hoops to get a joystick to work on a flight sim. I played games in the eighties that were better engineered for joysticks. The software publisher should fix this in an update once and for all and Steam should make them. Silly. An expensive flight sim that does not support a joystick off the shelf. Also I do not understasnd why some of their games work well with Joysticks, while others like Dover do not. So after trying everything suggested many times, incluidng the so call fix joystick app from the publisher, I cannot get my Logitech Extreme 3D to work, and I work in IT. Pathetic. Why did they release a flight sim that doesn't work with joysticks??? Come on software development team, really? Making users do their jobs. The game should be way cheaper for this dumb waste of their customer's time. Come on Steam, go to bat for your customers!!!. I have bought so many Steam games but now I am just fed up. Steam needs more competition!

Hello ikteros

There are thousands of players who use the same joystick you have without any issue in CLIFFS OF DOVER.

If you can't get it to work, the problem is something with your settings in either Steam or Microsoft.

Have you taken the time to read the 'Getting Started and Troubleshooting Guide'?  This has a detailed outline of how to get a joystick working along with solutions for typical errors in player or PC settings.

Please take a look at the guide and see if you can find a solution.

For example can you confirm as per the first post in this thread you have correctly unchecked the box in Steam for 'Generic Gamepad Configuration Support'?

The Guide covers that issue as well as a number of others which can cause problems with joystick recognition.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat.  Windows 10 Steam Version.  Using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  The new Joystick wizard sees the Joystick and I can see inputs.  But when you launch the COD Blitz there is no joystick love.  I have tried the Steam "Disable Steam Input" see attached screed shot.  All other games are no problem.

Brand new Install.

Ive tried all the other suggestions as well.    Introduce Joystick, then reboot.  Unplug, plug before launching the game (Windows Recognizes this) just not COD.

Of Note:

You will notice I have two versions of the game (See Screen Shot) Only the "Blitz" version launches.  The other one launches, then stops.??

Also, of note the 51 minutes of game time is me struggling to get the Joystick to work.

Screenshot 2021-04-17 055321.png

Screenshot 2021-04-17 055946.png

Buzzsaw
15 hours ago, dopher said:

I'm in the same boat.  Windows 10 Steam Version.  Using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  The new Joystick wizard sees the Joystick and I can see inputs.  But when you launch the COD Blitz there is no joystick love.  I have tried the Steam "Disable Steam Input" see attached screed shot.  All other games are no problem.

Brand new Install.

Ive tried all the other suggestions as well.    Introduce Joystick, then reboot.  Unplug, plug before launching the game (Windows Recognizes this) just not COD.

Of Note:

You will notice I have two versions of the game (See Screen Shot) Only the "Blitz" version launches.  The other one launches, then stops.??

Also, of note the 51 minutes of game time is me struggling to get the Joystick to work.

Screenshot 2021-04-17 055321.png

Screenshot 2021-04-17 055946.png

Please uninstall the original CLIFFS OF DOVER... this can cause problems with BLITZ.

Regarding your joystick:

Can you confirm you have read the 'Getting Started and Troubleshooting Guide'?

There are multiple suggestions in it for resolving joystick issues.

Please check to see if your joystick is numbered #1 in Windows configuration.

• 4 months later...

On my case, I can’t map some buttons on my Hotas x55, but it’s not great deal.

my main problem is that my pedals are of no use except for brakes.

I can’t use it for something else… 

That’s really boring 

On 9/14/2021 at 11:28 AM, DN308 said:

On my case, I can’t map some buttons on my Hotas x55, but it’s not great deal.

my main problem is that my pedals are of no use except for brakes.

I can’t use it for something else… 

That’s really boring 

Hello DN308

If you can use your pedals for brakes, then you should be able to use them to control the rudder.

Have you calibrated the pedals in Windows to confirm the different axes are functioning?

(I am assuming your pedals have both a rudder control function and also a toe brake function)

I’ve done everything you said.

I have turned off the steam input. I used the joystick setup and for some reason, the pedals worked at last.

Bit after had quit the game and restarted it, same situation as before…