=FB=Isay

Developer Diary, Part 182 - Discussion

Hello virtual pilots,
Today I have the honor to write a Dev Diary. My name is Evgeny Isaev, I'm the lead map maker. I want to tell you a bit about our work and share some good news.
The Stalingrad map was the first in our project. Time has passed and now, thanks to our lead programmer Sergey Vorsin, we have new technologies, instruments and methods that allow us to reach a new level of quality. In addition, the recent changes in the engine for almost four times visibility distance increase caused visible artifacts on maps that were most apparent on the Stalingrad map. So it was the time to re-visit and improve our first map. This wasn't planned initially, but we ought to find the time for this task.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here
You can ask new questions in this thread
  • Upvote 21

@Evgeny:

very much appreciated MAPMAN! 

...all of you doing a great job!!!

Have a well deserved weekend

yours

v.Greiff

Isay, this is a very, very, very, VERY pleasant surprise! I always loved the Stalingrad map, and now it looks even more beautiful. Thanks for the hard work! :clapping:

On a second note. The first screenshots shows how overwhelming busy the map can look for navigation. I think that with the new textures the navigation will be easier, because landmarks will be popping out more.

Grt M 

• Upvote 9

Hi  Evgeny

Looks absolutely wonderful, thank you for all your dedicated hard work. Its really good to see the on going improvements.

Thanks again :salute:  

Nice  but one question... will we get this with the big update in later january 2018 ? 

thx and greetings 

Oh my! Will you look at that! Superb work - well done, I shall really enjoy flying over that terrain. Thankyou.

That looks much better.

One thing I didn't fully understand is if you achieved the better emphazising of the relief only by retexturing or if you also reworked the elevation model.

On a second note. The first screenshots shows how overwhelming busy the map can look for navigation. I think that with the new textures the navigation will be easier, because landmarks will be popping out more.

Grt M 

This was exactly my thought as well... especially the green parts of the agricultural areas are/were pretty much confusing/misleading when one watch out some for characteristic forrest areas...

:o: wow, the map was always nice, but this is a whole new level. Absolutely incredible work you did there.

Can we please get the Beta verson of 3.001 before Christmas

Fantastic work.

I think now we can appreciate much better the topography of terrain,  will be more easy navigation, seems like roads and forest are more easy to identify.

thx for your work

Always great to learn, who's involved in creating this outstanding flightsim!

So thanks for delivering the good news, Evgeny!

I always liked the Stalingrad map very much and the revamp is a very pleasant surprise.

It looks absolutely natural and far better than what we have now.

We have come a very long way since the first early access. Flying over snow-covered steppe vor ages is a thing to be remembered. :lol:

Please change the Development Diary in the Announcement section, because now we have two times DD181. ;)

I like the variety in textures in new Stalingrad. :)

Great improvements, very nice that older maps get updated when new tech is available, this is outstanding precedent, every one must remember the original IL-2 maps when compared to the later releases. Thanks for your and the teams effort, have a good rest over the holiday season

Cheers Dakpilot

Wow! What an unexpected and pleasant surprise - the difference is striking! 

I haven't really been bothered by the look of the maps before, but now that I see how much better it will become I am floored by the improvements. As others have noted I am especially pleased with how landmarks and differences in terrain pop more and will make navigation much easier and more pleasant - why that airfield was positively camouflaged in the original shot! I am continually impressed, humbled and pleased by how the team goes above and beyond the call of duty to make all these improvements, large and small. It is an astounding product by now, and I really hope you are proud of what you have made. 

Thanks for the update. It's good to know (and doesn't come without saying these days) that business considerations don't keep you from putting hands on issues dating back a couple of years.

The new map looks absolutely great, it's definitely a massive improvement and I believe it will contribute to the confidence of players who didn't follow the sequel past BoS - they might reconsider now that they know that there's nobody left behind in this game.

Cheers!

Mike

Another great surprise!!

Good job Evgeny and team! Does this mean the winter map doesn't have the same issues? Will it still be updated using the same height maps? Those rocky cliffs look much better now.

Also you can clearly see the airfields, while in the current map it can be hard to spot them sometimes.

Looking forward to the update!

This is such an welcomed improvement. I expect navigation to become much easier now that villages, airfields and rivers don't blend with the endless farm fields.

3.X can't come soon enough!

graphical realism + 10

Any chance that we can get access to the map creation software + tutorial so we can make our own maps?

Also we can't ask new questions in the linked thread because it is locked  :wacko:

• Upvote 1

You guys are magicians. That map is getting completly different look. I can feel the steppe wind in my face coming out of those screenshots.

Oтличная работа  :salute:

• Upvote 1

Hoorah!

This looks amazing??!!

Will this effect in game navigation map details? Gonna have to get familiar with the new lands for Navigation :)

Wow.

The difference it makes is outstanding.

I hope the other maps will be treated to the same excellence eventually (Lapino etc.), but get that this is more of a side step in the dev path.

Keep up the amazing work!