Jason_Williams

Are their any Canadians here?

In Alberta you have about a 20% chance of any kind of weather and a 2% chance of hell freezing over and us not noticing because we just assumed it way another day ending in "Y"

Hey Headshot!  I live in Edmonton, AB too...  We should hang out sometime :D. 

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fafnir_6 said:

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

There are a few of us in the capital region. We should make a plan and meet up at the air museum sometime. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fafnir_6 said:

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

That would be great!

10 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

What is this all aboot?

Nobody here says that...

14 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

What is this all aboot?

So interestingly... We don't actually say aboot, however, our American cousins seem to almost universally agree that we do.

“What’s going on is a compound of pronunciation and perception,” says Dailey-O’Cain. “The Canadians do pronounce it differently. Americans hear this and they know it’s different—they’re hearing a difference but they don’t know exactly what that difference is.” Americans do not have the Canadian diphthong present in the word “about,” which makes it hard to understand. We know that the Canadians are doing something weird, but in fact it’s so unlike our own dialect that we can’t even really figure out what’s weird about it.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/whats-going-on-with-the-way-canadians-say-about

Apologies for linguistically geeking out :)

16 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

What is this all aboot?

It is 'out and about' not 'out and aboot'.

6 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

So interestingly... We don't actually say aboot, however, our American cousins seem to almost universally agree that we do.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/whats-going-on-with-the-way-canadians-say-about

Apologies for linguistically geeking out :)

Good old Canadian vowel shift and mergers. Mind you, people in Ontario mostly all speak with the same accent as Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, and Parts of Michigan and New York..  "Inland Northern American English

1 hour ago, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

Good old Canadian vowel shift and mergers. Mind you, people in Ontario mostly all speak with the same accent as Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, and Parts of Michigan and New York..  "Inland Northern American English

Mostly. Soon as I cross the border into NY or Michigan I immediately notice their accent on words like dollar. From my understanding Ontario linguistically has more in common with California these days. Which is weird :)

5 hours ago, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

We do "joile" here, and often switch back and forth between English and French in the same sentence. Good fun.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, CanadaOne said:

We do "joile" here, and often switch back and forth between English and French in the same sentence. Good fun.

The language gestapo will be after you if you do that too often.

30 minutes ago, MiloMorai said:

The language gestapo will be after you if you do that too often.

I can handle those turds.

I can shout and argue and swear in French like a Boss

• Haha 1

Yes I'm from Abbotsford British Columbia, home of the Abbotsford International Airshow. We used to have your fighter jets come visit way back in the 80's and 90's. Or was it the Ukraine jets? I can't remember .

Edited by pencon