Gents/ladies

I’m thinking of sinking a bit of money into my rig as way of a upgrade. I use an MSI VR Ready laptop with 1070 gfx card. I was thinking og upgrading the RAM (DDR 4)to a faster clock speed, would it make much difference to FPS? I’m getting an average of about 70 in VR on balanced setting.

Thanks in advance

Faster RAM generally does not give you a noteworthy performance improvement in games. What matters is that you have enough. You already have DDR4? How much?

Hi, I’ve got 16gb already with a max allowance of 64 on the board. Any gains by getting a 32gb upgrade?

Unless you are regularly multitasking with multiple programs running and large amounts of Web pages open at the same time as playing BoS it is unlikely you will use more than 16gb, I would expect the returns on faster ram in a laptop would be less than on a pc that was overclocked for example. To get 32 gb of faster ram would be an expensive upgrade with little if any real world benefit. Personally I would use the money on other hardware

Cheers Dakpilot

Thanks guys I think I’ll save the money and invest in the new Baseplate add on. I get a great experience already from my rift. I travel a lot with work hence the laptop solution but I just take my VR and joystick with me and not matter where I am I’m over the russian front in 5 mins

Actually RAM speed does make a difference in this game in VR. It's uncommon for games, but that's the way it is here. I don't remember the figure, and there's probably not much to be gained if you are going 100Mhz up, but it's a pretty big jump from e.g. 1600 to whatever the maximum is these days (3200?).

I think the performance increase from faster RAM will have a poor value in terms of frame rate gain over money spent.

Is it absolutely necessary for you to play on a laptop? The fact is that laptops, even very fast ones, simply do not have sufficient CPU performance for VR in Il-2. 

Unless a laptop is required, I would put the money saved towards a desktop dedicated to VR. 

Hi guys, I guess I’m just being greedy with the RAM thing, I thought I’d be able to squeeze a few more FPS out of the old laptop. Talking laptops, unfortunately my job means I work away for 6 weeks at a time in Iraq and il2 keeps me sane. I bought a MSI gt72vr 6re (I think) a few months ago to play dcs whilst away. It ran pretty well but dcs on the whole is so unstable and also felt rather sterile so with that I took the plunge and bought IL2....wow with pwcg installed its perfect. I’ve just flown a mission on the Stalingrad map with pwcg career and got a pretty steady 90fps, it only dropped to 55 near the city and about 10 aircraft flying around. I have balanced settings 4 x as no shadows or mirrors 2 x landscape and sharpen on also running 1.3 pd on oculus tool tray. I’m really happy with the laptop so don’t really need the desktop option. Vr is amazing and as I said let’s me escape the desert when needed :)