Etherlight

La-5FN, anyone?

On the contrary, I think a well piloted La-5FN will be able to play on equal terms with a Fw 190 below 2000m and surpass any 109 down there - meaning it will mop the floor with more than half of the LW pilots online.

Once the time runs out on the extra boost however, you’re right back to La-5F performance.

Oh?  The La-5 with the optional engine has no time limit on the boost and I thought that was the same engine as the La-5FN.    How do they differ?

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Oh?  The La-5 with the optional engine has no time limit on the boost and I thought that was the same engine as the La-5FN.    How do they differ?

La5FN had increased HP (and no limit on the boost)

Actually, from what I can gather, it should have limits to its boost time (around 10 mins) and have nominal power similar to the boosted power of the F-engine. There is also this “little” detail, that the FN had direct fuel injection and did away with the carbuerator.

• Upvote 1

FN engine is more powerful, also has fuel injection. In boosted mode it gives around 150 HP more than the F engine, for a total of 1850 HP. The FN in nominal power would have similar performance to La-5F's in boosted mode. If the FN uses boost then it gets the increased performance, but it does have a time limit, 5 mins I think it was?

Well, according to the given documentation, the Bf109 using MW-50 is faster across the entire range, from SL to high altitude. The FW dives much better, is faster, turns worse, and climbs slower beneath 3km.

So what is to fear about the La-5FN? The G-6 will be able to outrun it or at least the difference is so marginal, that neither G-6 nor La-5FN can get an edge over each other when racing on the deck.

Here is a link to the source information https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32621-la-5fn-anyone/?do=findComment&comment=541102

Do you actually really believe the Devs would overmodel it, and make it faster than the G-6? :huh:

Edited by 2./JG51_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 1

G 6 didn't get MW50 till 1944 so the one in game probably won't have it at all, the g14 however will be a different story. 

• Upvote 2

Well, according to the given documentation, the Bf109 using MW-50 is faster across the entire range, from SL to high altitude. The FW dives much better, is faster, turns worse, and climbs slower beneath 3km.

So what is to fear about the La-5FN? The G-6 will be able to outrun it or at least the difference is so marginal, that neither G-6 nor La-5FN can get an edge over each other when racing on the deck.

Here is a link to the source information https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32621-la-5fn-anyone/?do=findComment&comment=541102

Do you actually really believe the Devs would overmodel it, and make it faster than the G-6? :huh:

Yup. The La-5 version has a climb of 18m/s in game. How is the 5FN climbing with 16-17m/s? Something is wrong here..

Very simple reason for the La-5FN being quite harmless in MP

It will almost never be available. Unless they push out a mixed F and FN model, you are unlikely to see it 90% of the time, except Berloga and WoL. But on the serious Servers it will be a Unicorn. 

The G-6 will be waaay more common as it is a late Stalingrad Plane as well. But the FN if it comes as an FN only will be a Single Player Aircraft until we get something like Bagration or Leningrad Liberation. 

So until we move onto the later eastern Front, the FN will remain parked firmly in most MP Hangars. If it comes with F-Model Option of course, it will be more common, so that's what I hope for.

I hope Jason and Han have a Re-Think on this, because the FN only is not a good Idea, a combined FN and F would be awesome on the other Hand. 

• Upvote 2

Performance-wise we already have a La-5FN (with the exception of the new canopy view). The aircraft we have in the sim easily exceeds what is given in the LW test report by Lerche for serial produced FN aircraft.

Not really sure how the programmers plan to handle this.

It will almost never be available. Unless they push out a mixed F and FN model, you are unlikely to see it 90% of the time, except Berloga and WoL. But on the serious Servers it will be a Unicorn. 

The G-6 will be waaay more common as it is a late Stalingrad Plane as well. But the FN if it comes as an FN only will be a Single Player Aircraft until we get something like Bagration or Leningrad Liberation. 

So until we move onto the later eastern Front, the FN will remain parked firmly in most MP Hangars. If it comes with F-Model Option of course, it will be more common, so that's what I hope for.

I hope Jason and Han have a Re-Think on this, because the FN only is not a good Idea, a combined FN and F would be awesome on the other Hand. 

G-6 only entered into the Kuban region in the late summer/fall. It wasn't at Stalingrad at all to the best of my knowledge.

You're probably right on the other accounts. It won't be available all the time.

Performance-wise we already have a La-5FN (with the exception of the new canopy view). The aircraft we have in the sim easily exceeds what is given in the LW test report by Lerche for serial produced FN aircraft.

Well, no. FN is lighter due to reduced number of Fuel Tanks and thus lighter Structure, better Speed and Climb Across the Board than our F model. 

It will not be worlds better, but reasonably enough in all fields. 

The FN is faster. 

There has to be something to Lerche's report, either it was at a different condition than standard atmosphere and wasn't corrected I think, or there was something with the plane, not the best fuel, a damaged component... Because those are lower speeds than standard La-5.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

And the FW190 A5 ata 1.65 vs La5 FN ? Would be more balance.?(thanks ' SuperEtendard' I see FW190 A6 A7 were developed afther with reinforced and reestructured wings more light )

Right now the FW190 A5 ata is 1.42 , like FW190 A3 ata 1.42 .

Here are archives frome the test 1.9.43 &end of conclusions 1.12.1943

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/BMW-VB-126.html

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/BMW_VB_126.pdf

Edited by RAY-EU

A-5 with U-17 does almost 600, wihout still around 570-580 at SL

La-5FN should be expected around 555-565 ingame at SL when it comes.  

190 is still equal or better. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann
  • Upvote 1

Don't forget that all the La-5FN's biggest gains are below 1000m. Above that it is still better than the earlier models, but not by as much as it is below 1000m. So you should always draw any kind of fight above 2k to stand any kind of chance. 

There has to be something to Lerche's report, either it was at a different condition than standard atmosphere and wasn't corrected I think, or there was something with the plane, not the best fuel, a damaged component... Because those are lower speeds than standard La-5.

Simple: They tested a prize aircraft. Just like the Soviet tests of a captured Bf 109F you can’t put much stock in it. Use Soviet test results for Soviet aircraft and German tests for German aircraft - that’s the only thing that makes sense.

A-5 with U-17 does almost 600, wihout still around 570-580 at SL

La-5FN should be expected around 555-565 ingame at SL when it comes.  

190 is still equal or better. 

That would be in winter conditions, in Moscow Autumn standard conditions it does around 580 km/h, without the mod it's around 570 km/h. The added speed of the 1.65 ata is partially neglected because of the wing pylons. Also it's only usable under 1000 m and to get 1.65 you would need to be very close to the ground, close to 1000 m it's closer to 1.60 ata

For the La-5FN there are some numbers like 550 km/h nominal and around 580 km/h in boosted mode, but don't know if they are accurate.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

Just like the Vya-23 on a Lagg3 right?

Just like the Vya-23 on a Lagg3 right?

Was that not a common armament?  Some servers cave in to balance demands and restrict the 23mm on the IL-2 to some degree, which is totally ridiculous and a transparent 'nerf'.

Was that not a common armament?

On the Lagg3 - Almost as rare as hen's teeth.

Edited by =TBAS=Tripwire

On the Lagg3 - Almost as rare as hen's teeth.

I see.  That explains the sardonic tone of the Axis flyers who I see comment on being shot by them.

On the contrary, I think a well piloted La-5FN will be able to play on equal terms with a Fw 190 below 2000m and surpass any 109 down there - meaning it will mop the floor with more than half of the LW pilots online.

Once the time runs out on the extra boost however, you’re right back to La-5F performance.

I think there will be no time limit on the boost. solely limited by possible overheating.

109s will still outclimb it. 190 can outrun (barely) and outgun it. But it will still be La-5 so it will be almost as awesome as P-40.

I have no idea of how correct that data was, I just dug it out from some internet forum and it fit my pre-conceived bias so I used it.

MM i dont think so. I think la5fn boosted will have a maximum of 22+ m/s climb 

190 will have the same tops speed but worse turn and climb. 109 will have less speed, same climb(better at alt), worse or same turning.

Given the current LW performance when they die in droves against laggs, i think la5fn will be super powerful. I mean, i have a mig3 flight with 7 fighter kills lol.

Edited by Max_Damage

mw50 g6 speed at deck is ~560 kmh. la5fn will have ~580-600 depending on the model.

That would be in winter conditions, in Moscow Autumn standard conditions it does around 580 km/h, without the mod it's around 570 km/h. The added speed of the 1.65 ata is partially neglected because of the wing pylons. Also it's only usable under 1000 m and to get 1.65 you would need to be very close to the ground, close to 1000 m it's closer to 1.60 ata

For the La-5FN there are some numbers like 550 km/h nominal and around 580 km/h in boosted mode, but don't know if they are accurate.

Nope. Autumn the U-17 will maintain roughly 590 and normal Version has 580 in Emergency in Autumn, quite defintely autumn and 555 at 1.32ata. 

At 1.32 ata the U-17 does 540 at SL. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann

Looks like the FN in game will be the same fictitional UFO plane we had in the old 1946 if they base its FM from forum posts lol. Oh well, at least it will be very rewarding when you kill one ...

• Upvote 1

Looks like the FN in game will be the same fictitional UFO plane we had in the old 1946 if they base its FM from forum posts lol. Oh well, at least it will be very rewarding when you kill one ...

Maybe you will even get to experience a bit of the excitement one feels whenever they shoot down a 109/190 right now.

It will be like a whole new world opening up.

• Upvote 2

Come on... Noone is expecting that.

It’s not hard to imagine approximately what the FN will be like. We can extrapolate from the La-5. 150 extra horsepower in the nose, slightly reduced fuel tank and a cockpit view similar to the Yak-1b - that’s basically it.

A bit of extra horsepower can go a long way without making it into a completely new aircraft. It’s gonna be similar to the difference between the Bf 109F2 and F4.

• Upvote 1

It's a good thing they don't do the FM's based on forum posts.

• Upvote 2

It’s gonna be similar to the difference between the Bf 109F2 and F4.

F2 is terrible plane compared to F4. (Its the only plane in box of which i dont like the fm)

Anyway i dont expect La5FN to be something unbeatable.

F2 is terrible plane compared to F4. (Its the only plane in box of which i dont like the fm)

Anyway i dont expect La5FN to be something unbeatable.

No plane is unbeatable.

According to how quickly the La-5FN was pushed into production once tested, where it then ran in parallel with the La-5/F, it is a fair assumption that the VVS was mightily impressed  with what Semyon Lavochkin had brought to the table. Numbers from tests sure don't tell the true story, for that one has the Battle of Kursk where the type was first properly introduced into the operational mix. There the introduction of the new type had a significant impact and hopefully that's what we will see in the sim. By itself, it won't win the war but it was and should be represented to us in the sim as another of the improved  nails that close the coffin on the Eastern Front.

Performance-wise we already have a La-5FN (with the exception of the new canopy view). The aircraft we have in the sim easily exceeds what is given in the LW test report by Lerche for serial produced FN aircraft.   Not really sure how the programmers plan to handle this.

This will be treated as yak vs yak 1B. When yak1b was released, the yak we had in the game lost a final speed of 15km / h. He did not need to be so fast anymore

This is just what i read or heard from my friends and relatives (i know quite a few ex pilots).i'm not an expert.

On paper the la5fn had great performance but practically:

-you had to be verry experienced and manage up to six levers to get maximum power 1800 hp from the engine ,unlike german fighters (just throttle and that's it).

-the engine was sensitive to overheating and supercooling.you couldn't apply max power in a sustained turn or climb without risking of blowing up the engine or the plane.you couldn't dive at max power without seriously risking damaging the engine.

-lots of russian pilots would fly with an open cockpit because of gases or heat in cockpit.(early 190 same problem .pilots flew with mask on all time).

-propeller was short and the plane could't accelerate as fast as a 109 for example.

-they removed a gas tank and this combined with more hp meant better turn performance but the range was verry low and flight time with use of boost was 20 min or so.

The la5 in bos is more realistic than the old il2 overpowered la5 that turned like a spitfire and didn't loose energy.so pribably tha fn will be a lot better but not a superplane.

• Upvote 1

What you write is true Knight, but everything except for the (slightly reduced) fuel load is either already true for the La-5 or not applicable for this sim (such as over-rev’ing in a dive which is really only a concern for the I-16 in the sim)

Overall the FN will be pretty much exclusively an improvement over the La-5, which is already a capable plane in the sim.

At this point, the FN no represent any real advantage against LW, they still have the technological superiority with 

1-Those 109G6 and not even mentioning 190A5

2-In real live the story say was a different case, like the psychological reaction on a pilot that a fame of a plane can cause, fo example after the Yak9T avoiding frontal attacking with any Yak9, due to the cannon you know, but not here, this is a sim. (and that is neither an advantage :happy:)

3- When will be more o less something significant on the VVS will be adding the La7, Ya3, but again will no be superior to LW just capable to confront close combat fight.

Regards

Edited by MigSu

What you write is true Knight, but everything except for the (slightly reduced) fuel load is either already true for the La-5 or not applicable for this sim (such as over-rev’ing in a dive which is really only a concern for the I-16 in the sim)

Overall the FN will be pretty much exclusively an improvement over the La-5, which is already a capable plane in the sim.

Yes of course.

It was exclusively an imprivement for la 5 in real life also .