Sign in to follow this  
IVJG4-Knight

Wish for a spitfire xiv for Bodenplatte

It's such an iconic plane and i really want it maybe as a collector plane after release.

No rush of course it we get it we get it and if not all is well.

• Upvote 1

The Mk. XIV along with the earlier Mk. XII are some of the more interesting Spits, but making the late Mk. IX for Bodenplatte is probably the more obvious choice given that fewer than 1000 Mk. XIVs were built.

The Mk. XIV along with the earlier Mk. XII are some of the more interesting Spits, but making the late Mk. IX for Bodenplatte is probably the more obvious choice given that fewer than 1000 Mk. XIVs were built.

Hi Finkeren,

Not sure that the number of aircraft built should rule whether we have a particular warbird type represented or not. 

Also, I could be wrong, and cannot vouch for the accuracy of these numbers, but a quick Google search showed 957 Spit XIV built, which is no small number.  A similar Google search showed "Somewhere between 650 and 700 "Doras" were built before the occupation of Focke-Wulf factories by Allied forces brought production to an end."

Another point worth considering is that the Allied side had air superiority at this time, therefore they did not need to build so many high performance aircraft and were still able to get away with utilising numbers of superseded models from earlier in the war, like the Typhoon, Spit IX and others.  By this time the air superiority fighter for the 2nd TAF was the Spitfire Mk XIV (of which they had enough for the job), not the Mk IX, which was very often used for ground attack.  The thing to remember is that there is no built in air superiority with our combat simulation, as we are doing this for fun.  Therefore, the technological time line in terms of aircraft match up is important for customers.    

Bearing this in mind, I think the Spitfire XIV is the technological time line match for the 190D and 109K, not the Spitfire IX.  Even so, I believe it would be unthinkable not to have the Spitfire IX represented, just as I believe it should be unthinkable not to have a Griffon engine Spitfire, like the XIV, represented either.  I feel sure that the developers will make the XIV available eventually.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

https://www.fighter-planes.com/info/fw190.htm

http://acepilots.com/planes/specs.html

• Upvote 2

Hi Finkeren,

Not sure that the number of aircraft built should rule whether we have a particular warbird type represented or not. 

Also, I could be wrong, and cannot vouch for the accuracy of these numbers, but a quick Google search showed 957 Spit XIV built, which is no small number.  A similar Google search showed "Somewhere between 650 and 700 "Doras" were built before the occupation of Focke-Wulf factories by Allied forces brought production to an end."

This is correct, and on the Q&A recently Jason revealed the rationale behind the decision for the mk IX was purely for practical development reasons due to the ease from which it could be converted from the existing mk V. IIRC i believe he said for the same reasons that the mk IX will likely be the first BOBP allied plane released.

Edited by eRoN

After the job they did on the first Spit - they can charge me for as many as they can build.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How about a MK XVI since there were 60 spitfire Mk XVI of No 127 squad at Evere

It bears repeating that the Mark IX and Mark XVI are identical aircraft except for one feature. The IX features a Rolls Royce built Merlin 66 and the XVI features a Packard built Merlin 266 to essentially identical specifications.

All other features like the bubble canopy and E-type wing are shared by both.

Well, the Spitfire Mk XIV was in full operational squadron use in action from Spring 1944, so we should get it eventually I would hope:

P.S.  Rodeo operations were over Continental Europe enemy territory.

no610orb.jpg

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

It bears repeating that the Mark IX and Mark XVI are identical aircraft except for one feature. The IX features a Rolls Royce built Merlin 66 and the XVI features a Packard built Merlin 266 to essentially identical specifications.

All other features like the bubble canopy and E-type wing are shared by both.

Bubble canopy XVIs more prevalent than bubble canopy IXs. If a XVI comes along, bubble canopy and big tail. Be a nice ID feature for those attacking Spits.

3 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Well, the Spitfire Mk XIV was in full operational squadron use in action from Spring 1943, so we should get it eventually I would hope:

Er, what? You need to recheck your dates there.

3 hours ago, MiloMorai said:

Bubble canopy XVIs more prevalent than bubble canopy IXs. If a XVI comes along, bubble canopy and big tail. Be a nice ID feature for those attacking Spits.

True enough.

Chances of us getting an XVI after already getting the IXe are slim to none however.

2 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

True enough.

Chances of us getting an XVI after already getting the IXe are slim to none however.

How would we know the difference to a cut down, clipped wing IX?  Our IX already has the slightly bulged engine cover and larger pointy tail. 

Is it not just the cutback/bubble canopy option that would cover IX and XVI?  (Plus we need the late version interconnected boost/rpm/mix control).  

1 hour ago, unreasonable said:

How would we know the difference to a cut down, clipped wing IX?  Our IX already has the slightly bulged engine cover and larger pointy tail. 

Is it not just the cutback/bubble canopy option that would cover IX and XVI?  (Plus we need the late version interconnected boost/rpm/mix control).  

Indeed, off the top of my head the only visual difference between the RR and Packard engines being fitted would apply to the skins with one small hatch on the engine cowling moving forward slightly.
As much as I would like a bubble top it could raise the question of whether the devs should also include the rear fuel tanks which were introduced to the production line at about the same time as the bubble canopy, the XVI also being the main recipient of the rear tanks. With map limits we don't really need the extra range and with fuel in the rear tanks the aircraft was a pig to fly. Granted, we could just make sure to reduce our fuel load before flying of course. If the rear tanks were there then that would require some more small visual changes as well.

Anyhoo, in regards to the OP I've said before that I'd prefer to have the Tiffie but from a business point of view the XIV probably makes the most sense given how much hype and commentary the Spitfire family generates. :salute:

Edited by HBPencil

8 hours ago, unreasonable said:

I go back to what I first posted which is that they are functionally and visually almost identical. There's a panel or two in a different spot on the cowling that are different but that's it.

And there were bubble canopies on the IX as well. Just more on the XVI.

15 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Er, what? You need to recheck your dates there.

Thanks Luke, typo, sorry about that.  I have corrected to Spring 44.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Upvote 1

I second that.

Nothing wrong with the IX, but it had been in use since 1942, and still was, in sizable

numbers, by the time of Bodenplatte.

The XIV was delivered in quantity in autum 44 and would be a common encounter 

in Bodenplatte too.