Airhunter

General question about the IL2 series

Hey guys,

I've been following the new IL2 series for quite a while now and held off from buying any of it since I was missing my favorite plane, the P-51D.

Now that "Battle of Bodenplatte" was announced I'm very tempted to jump into this sim. I've been mainly flying the A2A P-51D in FSX/P3D since years already and it will be nice to compare how realistic the rendition in IL2 will be - especially in proper dogfights! 

Now to my question: I understand that the new IL2 Sturmovik series is split up in several parts (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban and soon Bodenplatte). This makes it a quite costy investment if you want all the maps and flyable planes. Now, all I am really interested in flying is the P-51. My question would be: If I buy "Battle of Bodenplatte", will I be able to fly against and see all other aircraft from the other parts (Stalingrad, Moscow) online or as AI enemies? Or am I completely restricted to the aircraft that come with Bodenplatte? This is the major factor that decides whether to buy it or not. 

If this is not the case - are there any discounts or bundles if you want to buy the complete series of IL2 (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban, Bodenplatte)?

Online:

You can only fly the planes that come with your package and if the mission on the server has them available.

You can encounter any plane of the series (piloted by other players or AI)

You can play on any map no matter which package you bought

Singleplayer:

You can only fly the planes that come with your package in Missions

You can only fly on the map that came with your package

Edit:

No bundles except for the premium packages which come with two collector planes in addition to the game package.

Sales are done from time to time (usually 50% off). I bet there will be another sale around Christmas.

Edited by Bommel

Hey guys,

I've been following the new IL2 series for quite a while now and held off from buying any of it since I was missing my favorite plane, the P-51D.

Now that "Battle of Bodenplatte" was announced I'm very tempted to jump into this sim. I've been mainly flying the A2A P-51D in FSX/P3D since years already and it will be nice to compare how realistic the rendition in IL2 will be - especially in proper dogfights! 

Now to my question: I understand that the new IL2 Sturmovik series is split up in several parts (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban and soon Bodenplatte). This makes it a quite costy investment if you want all the maps and flyable planes. Now, all I am really interested in flying is the P-51. My question would be: If I buy "Battle of Bodenplatte", will I be able to fly against and see all other aircraft from the other parts (Stalingrad, Moscow) online or as AI enemies? Or am I completely restricted to the aircraft that come with Bodenplatte? This is the major factor that decides whether to buy it or not. 

If this is not the case - are there any discounts or bundles if you want to buy the complete series of IL2 (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban, Bodenplatte)?

I had some friends I persuaded to buy BoX from another unrelated games organisation. They asked which one should I buy ? I told them that it didn't really matter which one they bought, because they would very quickly enjoy it so much that they would buy all the content. (We all fly in VR). Latest guy was just a few weeks ago, and he's just pre-ordered BoBP yesterday, having very quickly bought all that BoX already had to offer.

You'll quickly realise that the cost is great value when compared to the hours upon hours of enjoyment you are likely to get from it. If you like flying, then you will LOVE this

Sales are frequent.

If you really want to fly online but are not too picky which side or plane you fly, consider complementing BoBP with Battle of Stalingrad. This opens Eastern Front multi to you. In MP environment, there's usually at least one or two BoS planes available in most of the missions. It's also pretty cheap in sales, the plane selection is rock solid (some will argue for "boring") and you can then figure out how much money you will eventually want to sink in the game.

Otherwise, the lack of overlap between BoBP and current package means BoBP owners have less options in multi. But if multi's not your thing, you don't have to care, you can still shoot down I-16s in P-51D in solo.

And yeah, most pilots I encounter in the game seem pretty fast about ordering most of the stuff. If you're one of these people, consider always utilizing sales! You'll save up a pretty big penny that way.

Following on from what Bommel said, there are (I THINK) there are two or three free maps that come with an IL2 series purchase so you get the corresponding main map and the free ones. Am away from my PC atm so can't check for you

Edited by Bullets

Following on from what Bommel said, there are (I THINK) there are two or three free maps that come with an IL2 series purchase so you get the corresponding main map and the free ones. Am away from my PC atm so can't check for you

Novosokolniki and Lapino are included for free.

• Upvote 1

Novosokolniki and Lapino are included for free.

Well there's your answer!  :salute:

Edited by Bullets

In addition, a free "demo" of some kind is in the works although there are no details available at this time. 

It will include one flyable aircraft and an unknown number (zero to max) of AI aircraft.

Thus claimed Jason.

is makes it a quite costy investment if you want all the maps and flyable planes.

Costy, you are kidding!!! Pretty cheap $376 payed / 3000 hours played = $0,125 per hour. Already have my investment more than twice back.

My question would be: If I buy "Battle of Bodenplatte", will I be able to fly against and see all other aircraft from the other parts (Stalingrad, Moscow) online or as AI enemies?

- All AI-controlled planes from (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban) are free. You can play online and offline against them

- You can join every Multiplayer maps (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban, Bodenplatte) if the Server use the same plane-set what you have bought

am I completely restricted to the aircraft and maps that come with Bodenplatte?

- restricted only to flyable aircrafts that come with Bodenplatte

- restricted only to Singleplayer Maps that come with Bodenplatte

- are there any discounts or bundles if you want to buy the complete series of IL2 (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban, Bodenplatte)?

- Sales show up everytime from 25% to 75% less

Edited by Livai

My question would be: If I buy "Battle of Bodenplatte", will I be able to fly against and see all other aircraft from the other parts (Stalingrad, Moscow) online or as AI enemies?

Yes, you will but if you buy "Battle of Bodenplatte" now and you've no any other games (BOM, BOS, BOK) you'll be able to start play "Battle of Bodenplatte" only after start of the Early Access program in the Spring 2018.

• Upvote 2

If you wanted to fly before the BoOB launch in Spring 2018 then speak to the owner of this thread      

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32329-was-gifted-premium-edition-bos-when-i-have-standard-i-cannot/

He might still have the spare BOS gift code he was given but can't use! He might give it to you so you can at least fly until content for Bodenplatte is released!  :biggrin:  I know I would :salute:

unless he put the code up on a key site...

Edited by Bullets

Just to be clear, here is an example:-

If you were to buy *only* Battle Of Stalingrad you will only be able to fly the aircraft that came with BoS and when flying offline will only be able to fly in the Stalingrad map plus a couple of smaller ones thrown in for free. 

You will not be able to fly offline in the Kuban or Moscow maps. 

When you go online and join a multiplayer server you will be able to fly whatever map the server uses (eg Moscow or Kuban maps) but you will still only get to fly the BoS aircraft that came with your game. You will be able to fight against aircraft from the Moscow & Kuban games flown by other players who own them.   Furthermore,  many of the MP servers restrict the aircraft available to certain timeframes so there is a possibilty that a map recreating the early Eastern Front battles might only allow a couple of the planes you have, maybe even none.  You can of course just go use a different server that does have your Stalingrad aircraft.     Stalingrad sits in the middle of the timeframes so there is a good chance you will be able to fly something from your game in most maps.

Kuban has not been officially released yet (hopefully only a month or so before it is) which means if you buy that and want to fly allied aircraft you will only have the Spitfire and the IL-2 (43 mod).  When it is properly released you will also get a P39 & A-20 & Yak-7. 

If you buy (well , 'pre-order')  Bodenplatte now and nothing else  then you will not be able to fly anything at all until they start releasing Bodenplatte aircraft which will be Spring 2018 at the earliest and it may be December 2018 before all the aircraft are available.  

One last detail on the aircraft you are allowed to fly.   Whatever game you buy, you can always buy 'collector' aircraft individually so, for example,  If you only own Battle Of Moscow which comes with early war aircraft you can still buy yourself a Yak-1b which is a late war aircraft and possibly the best allied aircraft available and fly it in maps that allow late war aircraft.  Note: Not all aircraft are available as Collector Aircraft.  For the Allies it is P40, LA5, Spitfire (when Kuban is released) and Yak-1b though a La-5FN will also be available very soon.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Costy, you are kidding!!! Pretty cheap $376 payed / 3000 hours played = $0,125 per hour. Already have my investment more than twice back.

A couple of hundred bucks for a video game(s) is not insignificant. It's a premium price, but it is also a premium product. :cool:

I don't mind the price, I think it's worth it, but buying BOX together with the cost of the hardware one wants/needs to run it well, it can become a real life expenditure.

As they say in politics, "A million here, a million there... pretty soon you're talking real money."

• Upvote 2

A couple of hundred bucks for a video game(s) is not insignificant. It's a premium price, but it is also a premium product. :cool:

I don't mind the price, I think it's worth it, but buying BOX together with the cost of the hardware one wants/needs to run it well, it can become a real life expenditure.

As they say in politics, "A million here, a million there... pretty soon you're talking real money."

It's not just the hardware either - there's a bookcase crammed with aviation and history books here that weren't there before I bought the original Il-2. During the last fifteen years I have learned so much that the benefits far outweigh the costs. And all because of a CD in a box that cost about £30 in 2002! Some people think that we have a strange hobby - I don't.

Cheers. :gamer:

• Upvote 1

It's not just the hardware either - there's a bookcase crammed with aviation and history books here that weren't there before I bought the original Il-2. During the last fifteen years I have learned so much that the benefits far outweigh the costs. And all because of a CD in a box that cost about £30 in 2002! Some people think that we have a strange hobby - I don't.

Cheers. :gamer:

As long as you're having fun! :drinks:

Exactly. I think people forget that not everyone can afford $50 or $60, and certainly not $300 plus! Yes I think it's good value but yes I also think it's costly; right now I'm lucky enough to be able to afford this hobby but there have definitely been times when I could never have thrown that sort of money at a computer game.

Leisure time activities cost and the decision for us all is how much can we afford for our leisure and how committed we are to the activities that we choose to get involved with. If I saw flight simulation as a game I would never have put thousands into the activity. As the passion that many of us share means so very much more to us than 'a game' we are able to devote considerable resources to its fulfillment. 777/IC have created something that covers a wide  spectrum of attitudes and expectations which makes for a better business. They display a non-elitist attitude which I respect heartily, though I would personally love a lot more hardcore features.

Exactly. I think people forget that not everyone can afford $50 or $60, and certainly not $300 plus! Yes I think it's good value but yes I also think it's costly; right now I'm lucky enough to be able to afford this hobby but there have definitely been times when I could never have thrown that sort of money at a computer game.

Definitely not a kid's game. Not unless daddy has a few extra bucks on hand.

We older folks are allowed to have fun too. :)

I think, if you think of buying the Game for the 51 only, you are missing 99% of the Game and are probably better Served with something like DCS. 

If you want to play online especially, Bodenplatte is only of 4 Scenarios, and the P-51 is available in only One. So you should open up to finding new favourites, because the Eastern Aircraft Sets are all somewhat mixed in MP. 

You may also find that your Talents lie elsewhere. I for example am a huge fan of the 109, yet I spend a lot of time flying Bombers, Heavy Fighters and Attackers and I enjoy both Sides 50/50

If your Opinion and Wishes rest on the mystique of the 51, you will be disappointed most likely and you are probably missing a lot if all you want to do is focus on one Aircraft and one Style of Flying. 

My Speciality is Tank Killing in the Ju-87 with BK 3.7s though. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann

Well the nice thing is that you do not have to spend $300+     They hold sales several times a year and you can pick up BoS for $25 and buy nothing else. You can add a couple of collector planes in the sales for another $30 so you have something for the early & late war servers. You can buy everything in the sales and own premium editions of Bos+BoM+BoK, including all current collector planes, for about $120.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

- All AI-controlled planes from (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban) are free. You can play online and offline against them

- You can join every Multiplayer maps (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban, Bodenplatte) if the Server use the same plane-set what you have bought

- restricted only to flyable aircrafts that come with Bodenplatte

- restricted only to Singleplayer Maps that come with Bodenplatte

- Sales show up everytime from 25% to 75% less

You know that most people have a life and cannot  ever hope to  play 3 thousand hours ?

You know that most people have a life and cannot  ever hope to  play 3 thousand hours ?

Do you expect to expire anytime soon? If you drop all obligations, and live for another 4.5 Months you can do it easily. 

Shouldn't really judge how others use their time should we.

I'm well over 1500 hours and for the last year I've actually had limited time.

The vast amount of hours you can build up is a key indicator of how good the series is. I have little time for any other games /sims.

I had intended for Star Trek Bridge Crew to be a Day one purchase. I still haven't bought it because I appear to be addicted to IL2. I don't have enough free time to play anything else

I had intended for Star Trek Bridge Crew to be a Day one purchase. I still haven't bought it because I appear to be addicted to IL2. I don't have enough free time to play anything else

Lol I know the feeling, I did buy it on Day 1 and had some fun for about a week or so, but now once again IL-2 is getting the vast bulk of my gaming time.

Shouldn't really judge how others use their time should we.

I'm well over 1500 hours and for the last year I've actually had limited time.

The vast amount of hours you can build up is a key indicator of how good the series is. I have little time for any other games /sims.

I don't know if anyone is judging, but 3000 hours is literally 375 8-hour work days. That's about 1,5 years of work in where I live.

It is a lot.

I start up elite dangerous,... and usually start dreaming of il2 so turn it off again.

HELLO TIMESINKS

:o:, premium price, you kidding. Have you see how much all Train Simulator 2018 Content cost = $6000 and still worth if you like train simulators and trains...................

BTW the price what we pay here is far below the expense! For RoF I spend a lot more compared what I spend now here. I always compare if the price is worth what I receive from that product and how much I plan to play that game.

You know that most people have a life and cannot ever hope to play 3 thousand hours ?

I don't know if anyone is judging, but 3000 hours is literally 375 8-hour work days. That's about 1,5 years of work in where I live.

It is a lot.

HELLO TIMESINKS

The game is almost 3 years old. I play 2-4 hour almost every day, 2 hours for sure.

I'll just add that if you buy any version of IL-2, you get an entire game client. What you're buying when you buy a specific version is a pack of planes you now own and can use, and a map. You can only fly a plane you own, and in singleplayer on a map you own. As noted above, though, you can fly on a multiplayer map that you don't own. You may or may not have any planes available to fly on that map, depending on the design of the scenario. That is up to the mission builder who created the multiplayer scenario. 

@777, you should seriously attempt to explain how this works somewhere, because the confusion on how this works - mainly, that you must buy everything in order to play - is the most common misconception that new players have. I see this again and again. 

• Upvote 1

Just be aware, while you can technically fly on every map in MP, the servers focusing on the Eastern Front will not always include American fighters from Bodeplatte and you may be very limited that way. That will be a server side decision by that server's admins.

On the other hand, I can't see how you will be disappointed with 'the mystique of the P-51' if that is the aircraft you are most interested in. It will be modeled exceptionally well and you will have to figure out it's strengths and weaknesses within the game. This is true of every AC we have in the game thus far. She will not do everything well and you will have to fight to her strengths. Failing to do so will kill you in short order online. The P-51 should be a very good fighter overall when used correctly.

On the other hand, Klaus is correct; only flying the P-51 makes you miss out on a lot of what the game has to offer as each AC is really unique in personality.

Just be aware, while you can technically fly on every map in MP, the servers focusing on the Eastern Front will not always include American fighters from Bodeplatte and you may be very limited that way. That will be a server side decision by that server's admins.

On the other hand, I can't see how you will be disappointed with 'the mystique of the P-51' if that is the aircraft you are most interested in. It will be modeled exceptionally well and you will have to figure out it's strengths and weaknesses within the game. This is true of every AC we have in the game thus far. She will not do everything well and you will have to fight to her strengths. Failing to do so will kill you in short order online. The P-51 should be a very good fighter overall when used correctly.

On the other hand, Klaus is correct; only flying the P-51 makes you miss out on a lot of what the game has to offer as each AC is really unique in personality.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy the game for any particular Aircraft. I wouldn't even recommend it to anyone intending to only fly one Side, or only Fighter Aircraft.

And most importantly I want to save from the disappointment that follows the realization that you may not be very good on what you love. 

If someone falls in Love with the Stuka but only racks up Airkills with it, he should fly Fighters for example. And if you don't have the Reaction Time, Situational Awareness and Killer Instinct to fly a fighter, but you have the Precise flying Skills it takes to Kill Tanks or Level Bomb, you should fly a dedicated Aircraft for that. 

However, if you keep failing in the Aircraft you love, what use is it? I think people should keep an open mind, experience and learn to love new Aircraft. 

Laying aside this single mindedness will pay out in the Long Run in almost anything.

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann

There's currently a sale on right now, 50% off Stalingrad and Moscow.

@777, you should seriously attempt to explain how this works somewhere, because the confusion on how this works - mainly, that you must buy everything in order to play - is the most common misconception that new players have. I see this again and again. 

Kai-Lae, I'm absolutely with you - I for myself did answer this question several times to new pilots because they couldn't find any official explanation about the system they have.

I would really appreciate if 1C/777 could clearly communicate how their system works - I gladly help out, but it's not our task.

Cheers

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy the game for any particular Aircraft. I wouldn't even recommend it to anyone intending to only fly one Side, or only Fighter Aircraft.

And most importantly I want to save from the disappointment that follows the realization that you may not be very good on what you love. 

If someone falls in Love with the Stuka but only racks up Airkills with it, he should fly Fighters for example. And if you don't have the Reaction Time, Situational Awareness and Killer Instinct to fly a fighter, but you have the Precise flying Skills it takes to Kill Tanks or Level Bomb, you should fly a dedicated Aircraft for that. 

However, if you keep failing in the Aircraft you love, what use is it? I think people should keep an open mind, experience and learn to love new Aircraft. 

Laying aside this single mindedness will pay out in the Long Run in almost anything.

I fly the Fw 190 almost exclusively as a lone wolf online and the 109 G2 when in squad. I'm perfectly happy.

As each AC is unique so is every pilot. When the American AC arrive it will be the first time that I won't care which side I fly for. It always amuses me when people say you MUST fly everything. No pilot did that for any country during the war, ever. You got assigned and you flew unless you were specifically assigned to testing. I personally find the Russian equipment largely uninteresting but there are others who fly Russian equipment exclusively. I take no issue with them either. As for me now it is - the Boche.

If a pilot's favorite is available, well modeled, and suit them then - happy, happy little flowers everywhere.......

• Upvote 2

Buy BoK or BoS now, get familiar with the sim and in a few months when first BoBP plane is out preorder BoBP, first plane coming out in spring 2018.

Eventually you'll buy other expansion beside BoBP so why wait!

Thank you very much for the overwhelming amount of responses, guys! I think I got most of my questions answered. Now, do I understand correctly, that I can technically have every aircraft of the series as an AI enemy if I just buy one "version" of the series? I spent many hours in IL2 1946, which at its time was excellent, and this sim had a pretty extensive mission builder. Does the new series have one as well, where I could, for instance, pick the P-51D and then chose any aircraft of the series as AI enemies?

Regarding the multiplayer: I think I get the general idea of how it works with the severs. Is there also a way to create an own server with one's own preset?

Other than that this was all I wanted to know thus far, so thanks again for all the answers!

I think, if you think of buying the Game for the 51 only, you are missing 99% of the Game and are probably better Served with something like DCS. 

If you want to play online especially, Bodenplatte is only of 4 Scenarios, and the P-51 is available in only One. So you should open up to finding new favourites, because the Eastern Aircraft Sets are all somewhat mixed in MP. 

You may also find that your Talents lie elsewhere. I for example am a huge fan of the 109, yet I spend a lot of time flying Bombers, Heavy Fighters and Attackers and I enjoy both Sides 50/50

If your Opinion and Wishes rest on the mystique of the 51, you will be disappointed most likely and you are probably missing a lot if all you want to do is focus on one Aircraft and one Style of Flying. 

My Speciality is Tank Killing in the Ju-87 with BK 3.7s though. 

Well, I am really planning on sticking to the P-51 in the beginning, since I know this particular aircraft very well by now (systems, operation, limitations and its history) - again, I have hundreds of hours in the A2A Simulations P-51D for FSX/P3D by now and am missing it already since it wasn't updated to the new 64bit version yet. This is an aircraft I will feel "right at home" in when I jump into IL2 again. However this might change and I might "expand my hotizon" so to speak and try out different aircraft and expansions - the later model Spitfires are also one of my favorites.

But since the P-51D was mainly used in the western front and western europe during WWII, I don't think I'd fancy to fly it in the BOS, BOK or BOM maps, against those particular aircraft, which didn't see combat against P-51's in the war. Having said that, after reading that BoBP will come out in spring 2018 at the soonest, skimming through the product page and list of aircraft I might actually get BOM to get started with the P-40 and Mig-3 and get a feel for the sim. :)

Edited by Airhunter

:o:, premium price, you kidding. Have you see how much all Train Simulator 2018 Content cost = $6000 and still worth if you like train simulators and trains...................

$6000? For a video game?

Not on my salary. :cool:

Oh please don’t START with either of those ;)

Start in a 109, then I16

Then, and only then, move to the MiG and P-40.

JK, buy it now and play as you wish. It’s on sale.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf
  • Upvote 1

The Mig-3 is one of those planes that technically does nothing particularly well but in reality it is loved by many because it is just so lovely to fly once you learn its quirks. People will point you towards the fact that the Russians cancelled its production and that it was designed for high altitude combat when most Eastern front battles were low altitude but the cancellation was largely a result of politics and though it may fly better & faster at high alt it is still a superb boom & zoom fighter with very effective guns.  In the right hands it can also win a turn fight with early 109s which is what it will mostly meet.

The P40 is a flawed aircraft.  The engine is easily broken and takes a lot of skill and constant attention to get the best out of it.  It also does not turn as well as the 109s but....  if you do get behind a 109 for half a second those guns will shred it!  Similarly it will make mincemeat of bombers in one pass. It also carries a huge bomb that will flatten many targets in a large radius so people will often take a P40 instead of a IL2 or PE2 bomber.  

The ultimate soviet fighter that you can currently buy separately as a collector plane is the Yak-1b and soon (December?) you will be able to buy the Spitfire which is about as deadly (People who have bought the pre-release BoK can already fly it)   In a few months you will be able to buy the LA-5FN which might turn out to be the new 'Best Soviet Fighter'.