Sign in to follow this  
YIPPEE

.50 Cal bullet drop observations

This is just based on personal observation, but the ballistic drop on the 50 cal's appears to be a bit extreme. At least to me, they feel considerable harder to aim in deflection situations compared to the 20mm on the 109. Assuming my observation is correct, I would think that would be incorrect since the 50 cal's should have a flatter trajectory than the 20mm. 

Thoughts?

How are you measuring the drop? Just watching them through the sight doesn't tell you much, since your viewpoint isn't directly behind the weapon, and you can't judge distance with any real accuracy.

They ones on the P-40. Should have mentioned that. 

I am not really measuring, just observing that I am having a much harder than usual time of hitting things with them than I have in pretty much any game I have used them in. It also strikes me as odd that I have no issue hitting things with 20mm, but with the 50s I always seem to be shooting low. 

Try to aim, release stick pressure and fire. This is what helped me with the 50.s of the P40.

There is no way the .50BMG is harder to hit with than 20mm in this sim. They fly straight and true. User error here.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't it be cool if they could create a target range similar to how planes were bore sited in WWII? If you could set your convergence at a certain range and the move the plane to a different distance, it would be easy to discuss issues like this.

Edited by Rjel
  • Upvote 1

I've got issues being accurate with the P40 as well. To me it seems like the rounds fly a bit slower than the 20mm rounds...

I can really only hit when they're pretty far or right in my face. Bringing in the convergence to 180m and having a bit more trigger discipline has helped a lot. I use the 4x 50s w/ extra ammo.

If you sight your weapons for say 100-200 m, i.e., short range, you're going to really struggle to hit things at extended ranges.  This is because the peak trajectory of the projectiles will be that 100-200 m convergence point.  Beyond that point your projectile stream is heading downwards.  

Edited by Wulf