Jason_Williams

TeamSpeak Question and Answer Event Sunday Nov. 19 at 15:00 GMT

Attention Pilots! 

I will be hosting another TeamSpeak discussion on Sunday November 19th at 15:00 GMT to discuss our big announcement today. If you can't attend I am sure someone will record it. If you want to listen live and or participate please join our official TS channel a few minutes before we begin. 

We've done a couple of these in the past and they were a success and I like hosting these because it is much easier to talk than type.

Server IP: 8.3.5.133:9407
Password: bos2014

See you then!

Jason
  • Upvote 7

Hope to be there. 

Thanks for doing this again Jason - always an open, honest, interesting event.

Must ruin your breakfast though! :salute:

Will there be a recording of this on youtube or some other place where we can listen afterwards?

Will there be a recording of this on youtube or some other place where we can listen afterwards?

More than likely Shamrock will record it, or some other user, and put it up on youtube as the last two Q&A sessions have been done that way.

• Upvote 1

I won't be able to be there, can someone please ask if there is any possibility of a decal system being introduced, so we can have correct squadron markings and so on without needing multiple versions of the same skin.

I can't be there, but I always find these live discussions great to listen to, and its a real pleasure to hear everybody speak (bless you all, you magnificent buggers).

I had two questions, which I certainly would not ask to be answered here.  However if anyone had a similar train of thought, It'd be great if they could ask during the discussion if there is sufficient time .

Question #1:  The progress and efficiency of the 777 developers has been nothing short of spectacular throughout the life of the series.  Will the team responsible for producing Flying Circus be working to similar in-house scheduling with a set development time.  Or is it planned that the development will be a little more open-ended, such as that preferred by Team Fusion for example? 

Question #2:  This one is about AI voices... 

The current system of AI voice chatter would appear to owe a lot to Loft's earlier ideas of game design.  From a player's perspective, the variety and flow of the existing voice chatter could benefit very much from improvement.  Now that new nations such as the US and GB are to be added to the game, are any significant changes planned to the way AI speak?

• Upvote 2

More than likely Shamrock will record it, or some other user, and put it up on youtube as the last two Q&A sessions have been done that way.

Excellent.

Thank you.

Hey folks. So it looks like I'll be missing the Q&A. I'm going to set it up prior to the event and hope that I can record the whole thing. A lot of stuff can go wrong with that (I'm not even sure if I'll be in the correct room) so I'm hoping someone else can do an audio recording and send it my way. I'm happy to put it up on YouTube if you just want to give me the audio file or whatever works. Just in-case.

What I will do after is listen to any recording and give you guys the short notes version as well as the "full fat" of anything that we learn. Sorry I'm going to miss it!

• Upvote 1

Can we do questions about the magical Yak flaps, ..and the why the Bf-109 stab trim has not zero neutral position in game?   :rolleyes:  ..or ..it is not proper? :huh:

Edited by III/JG52_Otto_-I-

Can we do questions about the magical Yak flaps, ..and the why the Bf-109 stab trim has not zero neutral position in game?   :rolleyes:  ..or ..it is not proper? :huh:

You really should re-read the original post.

Maybe someone could ask a question concerning the AI improvements mentioned in the latest announcement. There was a special AI bug report thread a few weeks ago that is now closed and so far we haven't heard a single word on what improvements are planed exactly.

• Upvote 1

Here are the questions I'm planning to ask. Last time we could only ask one question at a time, and you if you had already asked a question you had to wait until everybody had had their chance to speak before getting a new one. I assume we will have similar rules this time, and I doubt I'll be able to ask all of them. There's no requirement to post the questions here, but I figured I might as well write them down to help organize my thoughts:

1) Core engine features (i.e. not content):
- What will be the core engine areas that you will work on for the next projects (VR, multithreaded DServer, AI, rendering, UI)?
  What kind of improvements can we expect? Can you tell us about some of the new features?

Questions on VR:
2) You mentioned on the forum that VR took a significant chunk of the budget for BOK to develop.
  Will there be opportunities to keep working on improving VR support during the development of the upcoming projects?
  If so, what do you want to work on? Specifically, will you add support for other VR HMDs, such as Windows Mixed Reality and Pimax 8k?

4) Are you planning further work to help maintain constant 90 FPS at the balanced quality settings?
  I know you mentioned earlier that hardware has to catch up, but sadly that may never happen on the CPU side, because single-threaded performance improvements seem to have hit plateau.
  Possible ways of improvements that the community is aware of include seemingly simple measures such as disabling propeller rendering to make ASW usable, and less simple measures such using NVidia-specific tech to lighten the load on the CPU (single-pass stereo), splitting the rendering thread to take better advantage of multicore.

6) Are you planning to improve the VR environment: correct FOV in gunner stations, possibility to lean against the sights, stronger zoom?

Questions on multiplayer/DServer:
3) Will we get a multithreaded DServer? That would allow for a proper number of AI units (vehicles, AA and planes) and large number of players at the same time. At the moment we can't really have both.

Questions on Flying Circus:
11) Which of the existing content from ROF will remain usable (missions, mods, campaigns)?

Other questions:
5) Would you consider a carrier DLC to let us scratch that Pacific itch? I'd love to fly a Zero, but if that's too hard to do, I don't want that to delay the opportunity for carrier ops indefinitely.

7) How more concrete have the plans for Battle of Korea become? Is this something you have decided you will be doing in a distant future? How distant?

8) Are you increasing the staffing to take on three projects in parallel?

9) BoBP will lack player-controllable non-fighter planes.
  Is this because the theatre lacked them, or have multi-crew planes become too costly to develop?

10) Are the Pacific theatres still the ones originally announced: Midway and Okinawa? Or are you considering some of the other ones that have been suggested?

• Upvote 3

If it is not too late, I had another question regarding the NWE map that I would like to pass on.

The actual look of the actual airfields and landscape in 1944-45 very much reflected the warfare that had taken place there.  Typically however, flight sims have always shown even the most hard-fought areas in an almost peacetime condition.  Will the Bodenplatte team model the landscape with the evidence of war, or will it choose to show the maps in a pre-war pristine fashion?

CjKpyc4VEAAVXjt.jpg

• Upvote 1

Alright, I'm in the lobby and I have to leave shortly so I'll set the recording and hope for the best! Sunday turned into my busy day.... murphy's law.

• Upvote 3

Alright, I'm in the lobby and I have to leave shortly so I'll set the recording and hope for the best! Sunday turned into my busy day.... murphy's law.

Excellent! :)

Looking forward to it.

What are you using to record, because the feature from teamspeak make a wav file which is big, and it seems we can set it to use mp3.

I'll be able to record too.

What are you using to record, because the feature from teamspeak make a wav file which is big, and it seems we can set it to use mp3.

I use teamspeak with WAV and then convert to mp3 with some external tool.

it is working for me, but cuts out and I have to restart teamspeak.

thanks! Restarted and got back!

Can anyone share a link to the TeamSpeak discussion,if there is one please?

Thanks

Edited by royrayter
  • Upvote 1

Can anyone share a link to the TeamSpeak discussion,if there is one please?

Thanks

there is none, just connect to the server. it's on Jason´s post

Edited by MacLeod

Had a chance to check on things. My recording appears to be going well... I will have a tiny bit of time tonight to put it up and hopefully pull some notes from it too. Today or tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Had a chance to check on things. My recording appears to be going well... I will have a tiny bit of time tonight to put it up and hopefully pull some notes from it too. Today or tomorrow.

Thanks

Question selection process wasn't very smooth, so I did not get to ask anything. Sorry. Nevertheless, there were things said on other questions that give pieces of information. While it's fresh, I'm writing them down.

Here are the questions I'm planning to ask. Last time we could only ask one question at a time, and you if you had already asked a question you had to wait until everybody had had their chance to speak before getting a new one. I assume we will have similar rules this time, and I doubt I'll be able to ask all of them. There's no requirement to post the questions here, but I figured I might as well write them down to help organize my thoughts:

1) Core engine features (i.e. not content):
- What will be the core engine areas that you will work on for the next projects (VR, multithreaded DServer, AI, rendering, UI)?
  What kind of improvements can we expect? Can you tell us about some of the new features?

Team is very tight on resources, especially for programming.

Air marshal is mostly about UI, and someone can work on that.

VR: no more optimization to do on their side. Jason wants the headset makers to do more ("faster headsets"), which made little sense to me. Anyway, no resources for big changes in the rendering system.

multithreaded DServer: nope, and Jason isn't convinced it's the right solution. He prefers to see how the coop mode will work, if it exposes more issues, or maybe works better than DServer.

Questions on VR:
2) You mentioned on the forum that VR took a significant chunk of the budget for BOK to develop.
  Will there be opportunities to keep working on improving VR support during the development of the upcoming projects?
  If so, what do you want to work on? Specifically, will you add support for other VR HMDs, such as Windows Mixed Reality and Pimax 8k?

No info on support for new headsets. As said above, VR implementation is mostly done, it's the best of all comparable products, they are satisfied with it as it is.

4) Are you planning further work to help maintain constant 90 FPS at the balanced quality settings?
  I know you mentioned earlier that hardware has to catch up, but sadly that may never happen on the CPU side, because single-threaded performance improvements seem to have hit plateau.

As mentioned above, unlikely.

Possible ways of improvements that the community is aware of include seemingly simple measures such as disabling propeller rendering to make ASW usable, and less simple measures such using NVidia-specific tech to lighten the load on the CPU (single-pass stereo), splitting the rendering thread to take better advantage of multicore.

No info on disabling propeller rendering, and no explicit info on SPS or multicore rendering, but I guess those things would take too much time. Anyway, Jason isn't the right person to throw technical info at, as he said it himself he's not a programmer. I can only hope that another dev knows about VRWorks and SPS.

6) Are you planning to improve the VR environment: correct FOV in gunner stations, possibility to lean against the sights, stronger zoom?

No info

Questions on multiplayer/DServer:
3) Will we get a multithreaded DServer? That would allow for a proper number of AI units (vehicles, AA and planes) and large number of players at the same time. At the moment we can't really have both.

No

Questions on Flying Circus:
11) Which of the existing content from ROF will remain usable (missions, mods, campaigns)?

Mission system remains the same, but missions will have to be redone. Different map, for one thing. I don't know about the rest, but the differences in the engine certainly means they won't be directly usable. Developer-made content will be ported over to the new engine. Some of it can be reused, other things need to be adapted to the new code (e.g. flight models)

Other questions:
5) Would you consider a carrier DLC to let us scratch that Pacific itch? I'd love to fly a Zero, but if that's too hard to do, I don't want that to delay the opportunity for carrier ops indefinitely.

Not asked, but Jason mentioned that ships were also an obstacle, so I take that as a no. Moreover, they won't touch MTO.

7) How more concrete have the plans for Battle of Korea become? Is this something you have decided you will be doing in a distant future? How distant?

Not asked. BoBP is coming fall 2019 at the earliest, after that I suppose they might take another look at the Pacific, if all goes well, so I gather that BOKorea would be even further. I didn't feel like asking.

8) Are you increasing the staffing to take on three projects in parallel?

No info on increasing staff. Jason would love to, but it's hard. A recurring issue is that it's hard to introduce new devs and external partners to their engine. Complicated, in Russian. Jason is frustrated that modellers are giving him the cold shoulder. IL-2 1946 has them, Clod has them, DCS has them, but few people answer Jason's calls for participation. He mentioned how even the scripted campaign system generated fewer campaigns that he had hoped for. He's glad for the ones that came out, and he understands the mission editor's complexity is an obstacle.

9) BoBP will lack player-controllable non-fighter planes.
  Is this because the theatre lacked them, or have multi-crew planes become too costly to develop?

No info.

10) Are the Pacific theatres still the ones originally announced: Midway and Okinawa? Or are you considering some of the other ones that have been suggested?

No info.

Edited by coconut
  • Upvote 1

huh that doesnt sound great...  mostly an NO ... specialy for the important Rendering  Distance...