moosya

Limit VR view

hello, dear devs.

As a frequent VR flyer may I request the following modifications to the "Limit VR view" on the grounds that the current state of it is bonkers.

- increase the size of the VR Limit "bubble". This way I can lean in to the instrument panel to actually see it up close. Right now it's quite impossible, there's some movement but not much

- ability to get closer to the outer cockpit glass. Right now in VR it seems I can get only within 10cm of the glass.

- give us the ability to disable the "bump in to cockpit with your head" sound? (!!!!!). It's by far the most annoying 'feature' of this lock-in. Because the sound is always the same it doesn't change based on the velocity of your head bumps after a while it starts to sound like the "Errrr!" sound for "Wrong!" in the gameshows.

your humble follower,

peach

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

+1

When I first got my Rift I turned this feature off (thanks for at least letting us do that!), and I did notice a graphical oddity when I tried (not on purpose) looking too far to the left or right.  It looked like sunshine glinting off the cockpit glass, but I realized it was probably me sticking my head too far out of the cockpit.  Then I tried turning this feature on, to avoid the graphical weirdness, but the sound was so annoying I had to turn it off.  Now I've just trained myself not to lean over too far, and all is well, as long as I play SP.  However, it might be nice every once in a while to try some MP, which I'd be willing do with the head limits in place if I could just turn off the sound.  Maybe you could at least add an option to turn off the sound, if you feel like you need to keep the head limits enforced for MP.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Upvote 1

Turning off the sound would not help me, as it causes nausea for me, when I move the cockpit with my head. The only help for me would be, to increase the bubble by a good amount. It seems to be more than 10 cm away from anything, quite often, when the bang comes and I move the cockpit.

• Upvote 1

In the 109 I don't find the view too restrictive in any direction other than forwards. I'd like to be able to not hit a completely invisible barrier 20cm from the gunsight.

• Upvote 1

+1

Please either remove the 'Limit VR view' feature altogether or at least expand its boundaries as right now even a modest movement of the head sideways or forward causes the entire cockpit to follow your head. In VR this is not only extremely annoying and immersion-breaking, but also nausea-inducing.

I suppose this was first implemented not to give VR players an unfair advantage over normal players by being able to 'stick their head out of the cockpit' to check their six.

However checking your six in VR is already much harder (try turning your head 180 degrees back half a dozen times and you'll know what I mean!) than using a hatswitch or mouse to look around. Restricting the VR head position to inside the cockpit makes the task of looking back a lot harder and it is penalizing VR players - besides being unnecessarily annoying.

P.S. The girl from 'The Exorcist' movie would do just fine though ;)
giphy1.gif

Edited by Framais
  • Thanks 1

Agree, it would be very nice for this limitation in VR to be gone. Thankfully I fly SP only and keep it turned off.

• Upvote 1

So have we heard any update on this? I can't imagine just removing even the sound would be too much to make work. I could be wrong however. The annoying noise of banging into the cockpit is quite distracting. The bubbles in which you can move your head also definitely need revisited, you can barely move your head in the Ju-88 and the cockpit is huge in that thing. I should almost be able to stand up in the thing.

• Upvote 1

I'll second this revival of an old thread.  The limit bothers me a little.  The noise is simply stupid and nagging as hell.

• Upvote 1

Overall the russian cockpits are far easier to move around in I have noticed. The fw-190 being probably the worse of all the planes. I do very much like the limiter, since it keeps me from accidentally popping through the cockpit glass but they absolutely need touched up.

That's odd.  Because in the 190 I am free to move my head wherever I like.  I can lean right through the canopy and out over the wing.  

11 hours ago, SmokinHole said:

That's odd.  Because in the 190 I am free to move my head wherever I like.  I can lean right through the canopy and out over the wing.  

Now switch to expert difficulty setting without external views enabled. 

VR head restrictions will then be enforced regardless of the vr head limit setting. 

This is definitely the biggest barrier to me committing more time to this game.

A very bad solution to the problem of limiting head position in VR. My vote would be for it to go away completely. It really is unnecessary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, =475FG=DAWGER said:

A very bad solution to the problem of limiting head position in VR. My vote would be for it to go away completely. It really is unnecessary.

Totally agree, same here.

At least we should have the option to turn it off. Right now if you play in expert or custom you can not turn it off.

• Like 1

People are so concerned about equal advantage in multiplayer down to what skins other players use and technochat HUD etc. 

so they’ll want to prevent “cheating” in Expert by letting VR players get an external view. That probably won’t change. 

14 hours ago, OrLoK said:

whereas Track IR users are allowed to be owls :)

Precisely. Makes no sense to limit VR when everyone else has the ability to artificially accelerate the speed of head rotation AND has full 360 degree view. VR actually limits your view backwards to even less than reality due to HMD design and performance.

And the effect is far overdone, like the pilot has a giant pumpkin head.

Edited by =475FG=DAWGER
  • Like 1

Who cares about who sees what.  VR going outside the cockpit would be a complete immersion killer and I'll happily take immersion over some computer advantage.  Hell, a bunch of folks out there will be using a hat switch to look around.

And, having had the fortune to sit in Red 7 a few years ago I can confirm that the VR experience mimics it, albeit you don't have the field of view of the MkI eyeball nor is VR in focus at the extremes of the lens.

von Tom

Isn’t it already an option on servers to disable “Limit VR View”?

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Isn’t it already an option on servers to disable “Limit VR View”?

It is, but in that case it's up to the server owner, whereas I think here we were talking about the user being able to disable it.

People are always going to want stuff like that server side. They’ll complain about anything that might give another player an advantage. 

The solution would be to just set up a server with that disabled. Of course this sim only runs what Wings of Liberty decides it should run but that’s another issue (lack of variety in Multiplayer)

15 hours ago, von_Tom said:

Who cares about who sees what.  VR going outside the cockpit would be a complete immersion killer and I'll happily take immersion over some computer advantage.  Hell, a bunch of folks out there will be using a hat switch to look around.

And, having had the fortune to sit in Red 7 a few years ago I can confirm that the VR experience mimics it, albeit you don't have the field of view of the MkI eyeball nor is VR in focus at the extremes of the lens.

von Tom

The current limit is much more an immersion killer than if it didn't exist. There is a loud sound that sounds like gunfire striking the aircraft and the ENTIRE aircraft moves in response to your noggin touching the canopy. In addition, your forehead is about 6 inches in front of where it should be because the VR system is sensing your HMD, not your head. So, for example, if you look left and then lean left you can get no closer than six inches to where the virtual canopy is. 

Bad implementation of an unnecessary feature.

• Like 1

The sound for me is subtle and not really noticeable. My aircraft doesn’t move at all. Maybe you mean it appears to move but really it is your virtual head being shoved back in place? Muscle memory means I mostly stay with the confines of the box now anyway. 

i can check my 6 albeit with the VR “grunt” as my neck protests. I reckon I can get pretty much  as close to the side window as a helmet with earphones on would let me. 

Whatever the complaints it is still a world away from TIR and for the better. For me anyway, but I kinda lost interest in uber-competitiveness a while back. Different pluses and minuses for different folks. 

von Tom

On 10/2/2018 at 3:59 AM, von_Tom said:

The sound for me is subtle and not really noticeable. My aircraft doesn’t move at all. Maybe you mean it appears to move but really it is your virtual head being shoved back in place? Muscle memory means I mostly stay with the confines of the box now anyway. 

i can check my 6 albeit with the VR “grunt” as my neck protests. I reckon I can get pretty much  as close to the side window as a helmet with earphones on would let me. 

Whatever the complaints it is still a world away from TIR and for the better. For me anyway, but I kinda lost interest in uber-competitiveness a while back. Different pluses and minuses for different folks. 

von Tom

A matter of perception. The virtual aircraft moves away from the position of my real head. So for me the aircraft is moving because my actual head is not. If you choose to think the aircraft is real and your head is virtual, feel free to do so.

It is a horrible implementation that no other flying title finds necessary.

• Like 1