Photo

Bf109E-7 Engine overheat

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Black-Witch

Black-Witch

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:00

As I'm fairly new to IL-2 I have a question about the 109E-7 engine overheating.

I'm using the manual radiators to keep the 2 engine temp gauges (oil & coolant) down around 80'-100'.

I'm also watching the dual pressure gauge (1 must be oil), to make sure it doesn't get near the upper limits.

And still the engine pours out thick black smoke and then stops, how am i supposed to stop this occurring if the gauges don't warn me it's about to happen.

I know from the map/stat's page the time limits for each power setting but surely this should be "reflected" by the gauges rather than me counting seconds in my head for each power setting.

Cheers in advance

Witch

#2 I./ZG1_Martijnvdm

I./ZG1_Martijnvdm
  • Founder

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:12

Try to keep it in nominal mode for a certain time and check if that helps. I would not use the boosted mode at all, since 1 minute is really short. Try to enable techchat for a couple times to see what's really going on. Technochat warns you for stuff like that.

Grt M

Edited by I./ZG1_Martijnvdm, 12 October 2017 - 10:15.

I7 4790K@4.7 GHz, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Kingston HyperX Beast (t3) 16GB, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X, Dell S2716DG, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Windows 10 64

#3 Black-Witch

Black-Witch

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:23

As usual, when I ask a question I do attempt to find the answer myself....

So it seems there is an oil radiator, another key not mapped ( I did say I am new) and the max oil inlet temp is only 80'C, water is also a lowish 100'C. 

So it seems on retesting that the oil does indeed stop the engine working when it gets to just below 80'C. So I need to keep that engine cooler to make it last longer.

Witch

#4 Black-Witch

Black-Witch

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:10

Try to keep it in nominal mode for a certain time and check if that helps. I would not use the boosted mode at all, since 1 minute is really short. Try to enable techchat for a couple times to see what's really going on. Technochat warns you for stuff like that.

Grt M

Techchat, ? ah, gotcha, hadn't realised that would help...... Thanks a lot <S>

Witch

#5 I./ZG1_Martijnvdm

I./ZG1_Martijnvdm
  • Founder

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:11

Nope problem! Glad you sorted it out. Happy flight!

Grt M

I7 4790K@4.7 GHz, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Kingston HyperX Beast (t3) 16GB, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X, Dell S2716DG, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Windows 10 64

#6 OpticFlow

OpticFlow

Posted 12 October 2017 - 13:49

As I'm fairly new to IL-2 I have a question about the 109E-7 engine overheating.

I'm using the manual radiators to keep the 2 engine temp gauges (oil & coolant) down around 80'-100'.

I'm also watching the dual pressure gauge (1 must be oil), to make sure it doesn't get near the upper limits.

And still the engine pours out thick black smoke and then stops, how am i supposed to stop this occurring if the gauges don't warn me it's about to happen.

I know from the map/stat's page the time limits for each power setting but surely this should be "reflected" by the gauges rather than me counting seconds in my head for each power setting.

Cheers in advance

Witch

The oil temp. gauge on the E7 is for engine intake, contrary to other Aircraft. Should be kept below 80 C. The water temp gauge should be kept below 100 C.

You can find the specs in this thread https://forum.il2stu...nd-operational/

#7 JG5_Schuck

JG5_Schuck
  • Founder

Posted 12 October 2017 - 18:26

The engine is failing not due to overheat in boosted mode, but mechanical stress/over revs.

Keeps revs below 2300rpm @ 1.23ATA (max: 30mins).

Continuious flying is 2200rpm @ 1.15ATA.

Technocheat....... the root of all evil!  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users