Photo

cold start and feathering propellers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Papa_Bear

Papa_Bear

Posted 08 October 2017 - 16:21

Hello fellows pilots i wanna ask you, couple questions. 

1. How to start cold engine and preventing them from dying before they have chance to worm up.

2.how to proper feather propellers on damage engine, and only germans able to feather propellers?

Manny thanks for tips.

#2 GridiroN

GridiroN
  • Founder

Posted 08 October 2017 - 20:50

1. I'm unsure what you mean by the first one. Engines don't cut out, before they warm up for me. It sound more like you're mishanding a specific plane. I know HS129 has a bug right now where it turns it's mixture to 0 after startup, but otherwise all planes stay running as long as the mixture is hot and the coolers are closed.

2. Feathering is only available on planes that allow it's prop pitch to be modified either indirectly or directly. I don't think there is any Russian plane that has prop pitch instead of RPM.

Edited by GridiroN, 08 October 2017 - 20:53.

KCqwhHz.jpg

#3 Inkompetent

Inkompetent
  • Founder

Posted 08 October 2017 - 20:59

Generally to cold-start an engine, run it at low RPMs (1/3 to 1/2 of the maximum RPM). This may need manual override of the propeller pitch control in cases where it is automated. Also close the radiators to increase the heating of oil and coolant, and only open them as much as needed if you risk overheating. The mixture should be kept rich (whatever that means for each individual plane). You want both the coolant and oil to have nominal operating temperatures before you start taxiing, but in scramble situations you can risk starting at lower temperatures as long as the engine isn't overcooled.

This far I only have cold-start procedures somewhat accurately written down for one plane - the P-40 - and it can be found here: https://forum.il2stu...t-manuals-game/

Edited by Inkoslav, 08 October 2017 - 21:15.

Goes by Inkoslav and/or Inkompetent.

#4 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich

Posted 08 October 2017 - 21:03

1. Which aircraft?  Different aircraft have different engines which require different handling. Without knowing what aircraft type it is, I can only guess that you are cutting the mixture out or you are freezing it out due to open cowls and radiators.

2. Only some aircraft have feathering (and not all German aircraft can feather props either). There is a key-binding for it. Go to options, keys and then look for it in the engine management section.

sig.jpg

#5 Papa_Bear

Papa_Bear

Posted 08 October 2017 - 22:47

1. I'm unsure what you mean by the first one. Engines don't cut out, before they warm up for me. It sound more like you're mishanding a specific plane. I know HS129 has a bug right now where it turns it's mixture to 0 after startup, but otherwise all planes stay running as long as the mixture is hot and the coolers are closed.

2. Feathering is only available on planes that allow it's prop pitch to be modified either indirectly or directly. I don't think there is any Russian plane that has prop pitch instead of RPM.

thanks i appreciated. i thought having to restart engine 3 times on hs129 is not right

#6 GridiroN

GridiroN
  • Founder

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:55

thanks i appreciated. i thought having to restart engine 3 times on hs129 is not right

Just increase mixture to 33% once you have control of the aircraft. If you do it quickly enough the engines will not cut out. 

KCqwhHz.jpg

#7 Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz

Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz
  • Founder

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:04

This happens to me in the E7 regardless of summer or winter. I'll start the plane and unless I adjust the throttle instantly to around 1000 rpm the engine will splutter and cut out, and that's with rads fully closed.

It's actually a cool effect but I'm not sure if it's a bug or if there's something I'm missing? with no mixture controls I'm not sure what else could be causing it.

Edited by Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz, 11 October 2017 - 19:23.

#8 Papa_Bear

Papa_Bear

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:07

This happens to me in the E7 regardless of summer or winter. I'll start the plane and unless I adjust the throttle instantly to around 1000 rpm the engine will splutter and cut out, and that's with rads fully closed..

It's actually a cool effect but I'm not sure if it's a bug or if there's something I'm missing? with no mixture controls I'm not sure what else it could be causing it.

i had same thing slight moment of throttle helping to keep plane in one place and runing

#9 1./KG4_OldJames

1./KG4_OldJames

Posted 11 October 2017 - 18:42

the 110 cuts out in the cold, but i start each engine individually, set the throttle to 20% and deselect that particular engine, then select the next and do the same, when they are both started I just select both engines, and Robert is your mother's brother.

#10 Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz

Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz
  • Founder

Posted 11 October 2017 - 19:45

the 110 cuts out in the cold, but i start each engine individually, set the throttle to 20% and deselect that particular engine, then select the next and do the same, when they are both started I just select both engines, and Robert is your mother's brother.

Yeah this happens to me in the 110 as well so I guess it is temperature related. I did test the E7 on a summer map and it was still cutting out, but maybe it was morning and the temperature was low or something. Tbh I kinda wish more planes did this as it actually gives you something to do in the either wise completely automatic start up procedure :sleep:, especially with multiple engines.

Strange though that it doesn't happen in any of the other 109's, just in the E7. Nothing about it in the specs either, or anywhere else I can find.

Edited by Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz, 11 October 2017 - 19:47.

#11 TP_Jacko

TP_Jacko
  • Founder

Posted 12 October 2017 - 21:23

Are you guys starting with throttle at 0%. Or something like 15%.

#12 Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz

Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz
  • Founder

Posted 12 October 2017 - 22:06

Are you guys starting with throttle at 0%. Or something like 15%.

I move it up to around 15 or 20 percent as soon as you can take manual control, otherwise the engine would cut out. The E7 and 110's are the only planes I've encountered that I need to use throttle input to keep the engine from stalling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users