Andrej1972

I am completely hopless

Andrej1972

I've been playing flight sims for twenty years and I still suck, My gunnery is very iffy and I'm just about ok against Ai but in multi player I'm absolutely terrible, it just isn't easy........but that's the point, it's a real challenge.

Keep practicing.

Edited by keeno

Maybe we all tone down the aggressiveness?

Yes that is probably a good idea. I am just fed up with the constant whining - made even worse when after having spent a morning trying to help someone fix a mission editor problem, and essentially diagnosed the problem, on asking for the .mis file to check the new version that supposedly works, I am told to sod off because it is a secret. Hence my rather short temper. 

But the question remains - how do you deal with someone like Geronimo or whatever his name is who posts over and over and over and over again that the 109 initial trim settting is wrong - something that is set correctly for take-off, depends on the condition of flight and is anyway easy to change in about 3 seconds? 

Of course you can just ignore therm - naturally most people do - but that does not seem to stop the whining.  

You know, I've never tried the other AI levels. I just assumed based on the novice level that they did the same maneuvers, but harder.

The other levels of AI are really quite good. They have a much larger bag of tricks. Yeah they aren't human pilots and there's always a little bit of wonkiness to them but I enjoy flying against them.

Just drop a fact or two and leave the whiney types talking to themselves, unreasonable. They actively believe that repeating their complaints 500 times will somehow make them valid, but it's their loss. Bar a few of their buddies, most users here are wise enough to know when to spot a whiny troll type so it's more nuisance than actual problem :)

Andrej, as everyone said before, to practice dynamic air combat you'll need to up the AI level. As a sidenote, rookies back then were actually that inept - pre-war instruction and rushed courses taught little, and focused a lot on flat turns to one side only. This was more pronounced in non-officer Soviet pilots rushed through right before the war started as a consequence of military reforms, but as German losses mounted towards the end of the war they found themselves in the same situation (lots of pilots, little experience or instruction).

Edited by 216th_Lucas_From_Hell
  • Upvote 3

Guest deleted@30725

I tried the hardest AI and I didn't think it was much harder till I found myself taking out any curve of my stick because it kept going for head on attacks and fooled me into thinking the mc202 could infinity out turn a yak 1 and then the yak pulling a harder G and getting on my tail. I didn't pick the 202 because it's my best plane either or because I thought it was better / worse than the yak 1.

I had been practicing without the UI since I started playing again so no text messages or markers, just playing as I post my SS rather than playing with the UI and hiding it for SS which I used to do so learning to spot, fly and map read was where basic AI was better giving time to find the AI especially if you don't cheat and look outside the pit. Takes time to learn the different planes instruments as well if you play on full expert too. I think once you know the plane(s) you are flying, can understand what each dial means or does, get the feeling for the handling, the landing and the stalling then the shooting comes by itself. Being the good pilot, learning to spot and navigate are as hard as shooting the target.

The basic AI I've seen them do plenty of loops, slow down tactics and some other stuff. Just that basic level AI seems to get locked into a turn fight easier and can't get out of it whereas the Ace AI seemed to know how to break the turn fight if it got into one. I'll keep flying ACE though with other planes. The ACE felt a bit more like flying against a human whereas the basic felt like a fairly dumb AI which I makes sense.

But when I started I used to get downed by basic AI fairly easy so using the Ace AI and having to think a bit more was actually really fun. Combine ace AI with managing engine, finding the target and flying the plane - really good game experience and I don't play all the time, 1 or 2 hours a day if lucky.

That's just my point of view though. I never played flight sims hardly before Il2 bos either so I had to learn the gunnery as well for leading the target and such.

Patience with this game is a tip. You can't learn it overnight or be expert in a day. (maybe)

Edited by deleted@30725

Honeslty, I dont like to practice against the AI because of their unhuman accuracy, they will hit you from angles where a living person would never hit you. But hey, if you can dodge that stupid laser guided AI, you can dodge against humans.

Besides, after a while you just get the hang of the AI moves and it all becomes too predictable. But I wont deny, for a person who just got started in the sim world, flying against AI is a valid option just because you can do it over and over, and very quickly.

When it comes to fighters, I feel the AI only becomes an annoying sniper at ace level. I always fly against veteran. Its flying is pretty alright for an AI, though obviously it will never be anything close to a human opponent.

Honeslty, I dont like to practice against the AI because of their unhuman accuracy, they will hit you from angles where a living person would never hit you. But hey, if you can dodge that stupid laser guided AI, you can dodge against humans.

Besides, after a while you just get the hang of the AI moves and it all becomes too predictable. But I wont deny, for a person who just got started in the sim world, flying against AI is a valid option just because you can do it over and over, and very quickly.

Depends on the human. I know a couple of folks who have flown multiplayer over the years with what might otherwise be called an inhuman like accuracy. The Ace AI I see as the Buzz Beurling type pilot with the shooting accuracy way above and beyond what "should" be possible.

Get on MP and get on comms if not already mentioned (at work on mobile and cant read other replies). I find that no matter how bad I am, if I'm in a formation talking to real players this actually adds to the enjoyment and learning even if I get shot down.

Stick with it.

Edited by Haza

Work your way through the AI... THEN.... get onto Berloga MP server and prepare to die... A LOT.

Its about the only way to get a taste of the difference between AI and real pilots who can pretty much shoot as accurately as the expert AI but more importantly are infinitely more intelligent at taking you down fast. There are some insanely skilled pilots on the MP servers. If you can just fly around near the action and not die then you are making headway. Get a kill and there is no turning back.