HagarTheHorrible

Hs 129 impressions

Feels odd sitting in front of a flying window, or to put it another way " Don't be nosy".

"best aircraft of ww2 1942 out of 10." - IGN

• Upvote 1

extremly slow and a flying  fueltank   a few shots and it burns like hell ;D   and unfortunately you cant use the  30mm seperatly ... you have to use the 2x 20mm together with it 

unfortunately you cant use the  30mm seperatly ... you have to use the 2x 20mm together with it 

Would be nice if that wasn't the case; cannot wait to try the Hs-129 myself!

extremly slow and a flying  fueltank   a few shots and it burns like hell ;D   and unfortunately you cant use the  30mm seperatly ... you have to use the 2x 20mm together with it 

no, you have to use the 2x 7.92mm with it :P

Just putzing around, could not feather a prop. Selected engine number one [1], pressed [E] to shut it down (techno chat and animations show appropriate showdown sequence), then pressed [LCtrl] + [F] to feather the prop. For non-multiengine pilots, an idling prop or windmilling prop is a great deal of drag, feathering a prop on a dead engine eliminates that drag. I couldn't get it to feather, not sure of the lowest rpms (had my hands full of airplane) but the engine was still running each time I hit the ground. I started the sequence in cruise at 300m and max continuous thrust (86% rpm).

My initial take away? Not sure why I couldn't feather the prop, but minimum controllable airspeed while single engine came pretty quickly.

I like the look of it, but I don't know how it flies yet because I'm having a problem getting both engines started. I can start #1 and then #2, but #2 dies after about 30 or 40 seconds. If I start #2 first and then #1, then #1 dies after 30 or 40 seconds. I always cycle my axis controls through their full range before starting my engines so that my actual controls sync up with the ones in the cockpit. I tried the Pe-2 s35 and both engines started fine. Anyone know what I'm missing?

Edited by JimTM

Trees love it!

I did get it started and for me it set my mix @ 30% when startup was finished. You can manually control with lever.

to feather the engine, you have to go to manual pitch first, then it works.

For those with the engines dying after start: move the mixture lever forward when the second engine has startet - "someone" is moving it back to stop position.

edit: sorry, had not seen Pike answered that already ...

Now my question: Are the explanations of the bomb sight plates perhaps reversed?

Shouldnt the lower, most inclined plated be for the lowest height, and viceversa?

In the pictures in dev diary 169 its the other way round, doenst make much sense for me..

Edited by 216th_Nocke

Your version does not make sense to me nocke. The higher the altitude, the longer the exposure to drag.

It might be interesting in certain earlier war situations, but if there is a 110 G-2 available, there is literally not a single reason to fly this plane, unfortunately. But hey, that's what campaigns and mission design is for, I suppose.

It's incredibly slow, but is much more pleasant to fly than I expected - and a very stable gun platform. I enjoy it a great deal so far, but I cannot really imagine it being all that useful competitively, unless all soviet targets are trains. Flight characteristics aside though - Has anyone successfully destroyed tanks with it?  Aside from being linked to the MG's for some ungodly reason, the 30mm does not seem to do a thing. Eventually I set it to unlimited ammo and just hosed them down from all possible angles without effect. Tried medium and light tanks.

Your version does not make sense to me nocke. The higher the altitude, the longer the exposure to drag.

Thx! That solved it.

Guest deleted@30725

Flying Brick.

Flying Brick.

Hmmm... I was surprised positively the other way round. Found it much more agile than expected, considering the low power engines, and very controlable at low velocities.

I

Guest deleted@30725

Hmmm... I was surprised positively the other way round. Found it much more agile than expected, considering the low power engines, and very controlable at low velocities.

I

I did not know this plane in detail. I thought it was going to be more agile than it was. It's an interesting plane to fly all the same. Very odd pit position and bad rear visibility. I think this plane will grow on me and I will come to like it.

It's incredibly slow, but is much more pleasant to fly than I expected - and a very stable gun platform. I enjoy it a great deal so far, but I cannot really imagine it being all that useful competitively, unless all soviet targets are trains. Flight characteristics aside though - Has anyone successfully destroyed tanks with it? Aside from being linked to the MG's for some ungodly reason, the 30mm does not seem to do a thing. Eventually I set it to unlimited ammo and just hosed them down from all possible angles without effect. Tried medium and light tanks.

You have to attack tanks from the rear, where the armor is thinnest. Trust me, I blew up plenty of tanks with it in beta testing doing just that.

Side note: note the change in the 3D model to the engines when the MK 103 is fitted. :)

Now my question: Are the explanations of the bomb sight plates perhaps reversed?

Shouldnt the lower, most inclined plated be for the lowest height, and viceversa?

In the pictures in dev diary 169 its the other way round, doenst make much sense for me..

They are working as intended and are similar in concept to the lines painted on the Il-2 M43's cowling.

You have to attack tanks from the rear, where the armor is thinnest. Trust me, I blew up plenty of tanks with it in beta testing doing just that.

Side note: note the change in the 3D model to the engines when the MK 103 is fitted. :)

They are working as intended and are similar in concept to the lines painted on the Il-2 M43's cowling.

I am well aware of how to attack tanks, the Stuka is my mainstay, but I have had no success with the Henschel so far. Hosing them down from above was a last resort when the usual Stuka practices failed to impress. I even lowered my landing gear and rolled along the ground at ~200 km/h from the dead six of a T34. Seconds of continous Mk101 fire with no effect. I don't doubt your proficiency but I cannot seem to replicate it and was curious if others had greater success.

Would be nice if that wasn't the case

It's a known issue.

BT-6 low level attack from the side, was no problem, but I had no luck with KV-1s so far.

BT-6 low level attack from the side, was no problem, but I had no luck with KV-1s so far.

I killed three Kv1s. but from very close, maybe 20 meters. Mk103/101 should penetrate around 90mm of armor at 100meters. The thinner armor is on top of the hull. It should be easier to penetrate that one from a stepper angle, but I wasn't able to kill a kv1, that way yet.

I did get it started and for me it set my mix @ 30% when startup was finished. You can manually control with lever.

For those with the engines dying after start: move the mixture lever forward when the second engine has startet - "someone" is moving it back to stop position.

edit: sorry, had not seen Pike answered that already ...

Thanks guys. I had my mixture assigned to keystrokes but it was not responding. When I assigned mixture for both engines to a spare axis and set that axis to full rich, it worked and I got both engines started.

Flying Brick.

It was considered a flying brick it was under powered for the armor and the 3 inch armored glass it had.

Very stable guns platform, and the abundant ammo, at least with the MK-103, allows one the opportunity to pummel the target with rounds and make quick corrections, as opposed to waiting for that half-second moment the cross hairs glide across the target for 1-2 shots that I usually experience with the BK 37-armed Stuka. And it is so slow compared to the 110G, it feels like you're lining up at 1/2 speed. That's a big plus for people like me, with gunnery skills so bad, to quote my friend Darbzy, "in front of my plane is the safest place to be." I spent about an hour with the 129B today in a practice mission I created to simulate TAW stationary tank columns, and found I could consistently destroy T-70s and BT-7s in a single pass pass from the side or rear. T-34s took 2 passes, KV-1s needed three.

edit: what I thought was a KV-1 was actually a T-34 upon video review. I just did a quick mission and could not take out a KV-1 even though I expended all ammo on it - all on a rear angle attack approach - - - - - 

Edited by StG77_HvB

She can be a bit of a handful at take off, lots of counter acting rudder, but when airborne she nice too fly

Shouldn't need any, beyond small adjustments, should it ?

Given that the prop's are counter rotating.

Just putzing around, could not feather a prop. Selected engine number one [1], pressed [E] to shut it down (techno chat and animations show appropriate showdown sequence), then pressed [LCtrl] + [F] to feather the prop. For non-multiengine pilots, an idling prop or windmilling prop is a great deal of drag, feathering a prop on a dead engine eliminates that drag. I couldn't get it to feather, not sure of the lowest rpms (had my hands full of airplane) but the engine was still running each time I hit the ground. I started the sequence in cruise at 300m and max continuous thrust (86% rpm).

My initial take away? Not sure why I couldn't feather the prop, but minimum controllable airspeed while single engine came pretty quickly.

Try to increase the mix

Can you upload that mission HvB? Would be nice for testing purposes.

Sure, Etherlight - Kondor and I were talking on TS today and making several SP testing runs comparing the Hs-129B with the Stuka and 110G armed with the Bk-37. The first sortie of the video is fairly indicative of my own test runs. Kondor's are probably much better. The 2nd sortie on the video is a run I just did about an hour ago unsuccessfully against a KV-1. Kondor might have destroyed a KV-1 on his test runs, I will have to ask him tomorrow. I watched you take out 8 tanks with the 110G in the last TAW campaign, so I don't think the Hs-129 has anything to offer you. But for the less-gifted (and that would be me), my impression is that this aircraft is a much slower and more stable platform. If I can kill stuff with this plane, anyone can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNQW3QcKrqc&feature=youtu.be

Very stable guns platform, and the abundant ammo, at least with the MK-103, allows one the opportunity to pummel the target with rounds and make quick corrections, as opposed to waiting for that half-second moment the cross hairs glide across the target for 1-2 shots that I usually experience with the BK 37-armed Stuka. And it is so slow compared to the 110G, it feels like you're lining up at 1/2 speed. That's a big plus for people like me, with gunnery skills so bad, to quote my friend Darbzy, "in front of my plane is the safest place to be." I spent about an hour with the 129B today in a practice mission I created to simulate TAW stationary tank columns, and found I could consistently destroy T-70s and BT-7s in a single pass pass from the side or rear. T-34s took 2 passes, KV-1s needed three.

edit: what I thought was a KV-1 was actually a T-34 upon video review. I just did a quick mission and could not take out a KV-1 even though I expended all ammo on it - all on a rear angle attack approach - - - - - 

I'm totally agree with you about the damage of Mk-103. I tried it yesterday to attack a KV-1, I tired 2 passes but no kill. Another complaint to the HS129 is the french engine with only 700hp power... compare to IL2's AM-38 1700hp, it is really low....

Once I put the engines on manual RPM, I can feather the propellers. But I can't unfeather them back to normal, unless I go back to auto RPM, which unfeathers them automatically. Is this how it was supposed to be? 

BTW, I absolutely love the new bomb sight in VR. I'd like to report a bug though. You know those medium sized hangars which have semi-opened front doors? Well, I've tried to put a bomb in that opening, but the bomb just hits empty air and drop in front of the doors. On the same topic, shouldn't the windows on the small houses be made of glass? At the moment, no mater how well I hit them from 200m altitude, they don't allow the bombs to get into poor Natasha's kitchen. Shame 1C... shaaame!

• Like 1

It appears that the mg103 is not fitted with tungsten rounds? (or has no option to). That leaves the basic AP rounds which have miserable penetration and indeed are only useful to engage from the rear of some of the tanks.

It is an interesting and unique plane. I for one am glad to see more ground attack aircraft options, especially since it is probably much more survivable than the Bf-110. The Germans had need of aircraft, and engines are usually the limiting factor in production. They just happened to have these French jobs sitting around..

Id apprechiate some info:
I know I have to handle mixture myself. Realized that after the engine just died after the first startup:) Whats the ideal setting during flight? Just full rich?
Are there any radiators/flaps I have to manage?

Did anyone else also notice that the auto prop pitch seems to behave a little strange? To get continuous power I have to put the throttle to extremely low ATA.
What are the engine limits/times for continuous, combat and climb mode?

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Irgendjemand

Id apprechiate some info:

I know I have to handle mixture myself. Realized that after the engine just died after the first startup:) Whats the ideal setting during flight? Just full rich?

Are there any radiators/flaps I have to manage?

Did anyone else also notice that the auto prop pitch seems to behave a little strange? To get continuous power I have to put the throttle to extremely low ATA.

What are the engine limits/times for continuous, combat and climb mode?

Thanks in advance!!

Mixture settings: Full is for start up, Reich for take off and combat, Normal is for cruising, 0% to shut off engines.

Automated prop pitch control keeps rpm at 2750 at all times. You have to switch to the manual prop pitch control and lower the rpm to the 2350 and 1.1 ata to get normal mode for engine. 

Engine limits: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25993-aircraft-flight-and-technical-specifications-and-operational/

Engine modes:

Nominal (unlimited time): 2350 RPM, 1.1 ata

Combat power (up to 30 minutes): 2750 RPM, 1.25 ata

Take-off power (up to 1 minute): 3030 RPM, 1.5 ata

Operation features:

- Controlling the propellers RPM is possible only in the manual mode by changing the propeller pitch. The automatic mode keeps the RPM at 2750.

- The engine control lever allows setting the pressure up to the combat mode (1.25 ATA).

- To switch the engines to the take-off mode, move the boost lever to 1.5 ATA position and set the propellers to 3030 RPM.

- Engine mixture control is automatic. Leaning the mixture manually reduces the fuel consumption during flight.

- The oil radiator shutters are controlled automatically and don't have a manual mode.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25993-aircraft-flight-and-technical-specifications-and-operational/

Mk101 is pertty ineffective. Mk103 is effective. But keep in mind 103 is a summer 1943 weapon only i think.

The drawbacks: no rear gunner, really bad speed, bad bomb load(only one bomb run), easily vulnerable engines, ammo racks and fuel tanks in the wings. Both go off pretty often.

With IL2 i can do dive bombing runs one after another. I have enough bombs for it and the plane is sufficiently fast for that. Cant say this about hs129.

Edited by Max_Damage