Sign in to follow this  
Pb_Cybermat47

Bf-110 Aces on the Eastern Front

Recently, Panzerbar made a post about Bf-110 operations on the Eastern Front, which, to my surprise, involved freijagd and interception missions. I'd always thought that, after the Battle of Britain, Bf-110s were only used as day fighters in the Balkans, Africa, and Middle East, being used exclusively as nightfighters and attackers on the Western and Eastern Fronts.

So my question is, were there any Bf-110 aces on the Eastern Front? And how effective was the Bf-110 against Soviet fighters?

Edited by FFS_Cybermat47

There were dozens of 110 aces, actually :) With the right team tactics they did a good job since 110 units (especially in Moscow if I remember it right) were extremely experienced.

• Upvote 1

There were dozens of 110 aces, actually :) With the right team tactics they did a good job since 110 units (especially in Moscow if I remember it right) were extremely experienced.

Yeah, that would make sense, especially when combined with the low experience of most Soviet pilots at the time.

Am I correct in assuming that the Bf-110's effectiveness as an Eastern Front fighter was later severely curtailed by the increasing experience of Soviet pilots, and the increased availability of modern aircraft such as Yaks?

I can only guess but I think it's the same reason why the Luftwaffe slowly started losing their edge over the Soviet Air Force - better tactics, better aircraft, better pilots, better logistics. The difference is, the 110 was already riding on the edge so it fell too far behind, while the 109 and 190 were further ahead so they could still hold their own as the years went.

It's a similar thing to the I-16, some experienced pilots and units did very well in the first year of the war because like the 110 it had just recently been a very modern aircraft, but with the introduction of newer German types it lost its ability to fight evenly (though a few remained in action into 1943 around Kuban and even 1944 either north!)

Recently, Panzerbar made a post about Bf-110 operations on the Eastern Front, which, to my surprise, involved freijagd and interception missions. I'd always thought that, after the Battle of Britain, Bf-110s were only used as day fighters in the Balkans, Africa, and Middle East, being used exclusively as nightfighters and attackers on the Western and Eastern Fronts.

So my question is, were there any Bf-110 aces on the Eastern Front? And how effective was the Bf-110 against Soviet fighters?

I'll check my records.

Helmut Lent comes to mind but I think he was primarily engaged against the Commonwealth.

I'll check my records.

Helmut Lent comes to mind but I think he was primarily engaged against the Commonwealth.

Here is his "daylight" score. All other victories were at night.

post-1464-0-83000700-1503682527_thumb.jpgpost-1464-0-63215000-1503682529_thumb.jpg

Very old and crappy book. Look for Vasco's "Zerstorer" both volumes or Meyer/Stipdonk's series Luftwaffe Zerstorer und Nachtjagdverbande, Volumes 1-4.

• Upvote 1

This is bit thread necromancy but i just read book:

Messerschmitt Bf 110 at War

By: Armand van Ishoven

There was many stories by Zestrorer pilots and radio operators / tail gunners
It was not rare that Bf-110 units where ordered to intercept bomber aircraft and other planes in eastern front.

Ground Attack and taking important photos where more common but it could fight back when attacked by enemy fighters.
Pilots scored many kills specially in first phase of barbarossa.

There was story about soviet bombing of berlin in 1941 and Bf-110 were sent to find the airfield where they came from..

Ace status gained in eastern front is not so rare what people might think Bf-110 was potent aircraft also in aerial battle.
Edited by Godspeed
  • Upvote 1