Raptorattacker

Supermarine Spitfire Skins

Right, here we go...

The Vickers Supermarine Type 300

Construction of K5054 began in Dec 1934 and her maiden flight was on 5 march 1936 at Eastleigh_Aerodrome (later Southampton Airport) piloted by Vickers' chief test pilot Joseph "Mutt" Summers.
A few days prior to its first official presentation, K5054 received its famous overall light blue finish. Actually, Supermarine used a high gloss but rather short-lived automotive lacquer in an effort to reduce drag prior to high-speed trials.
On 4 September 1939 at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, K5054 nosed over on landing and, whilst the fuselage was left intact, the cockpit was crushed. The pilot F/Lt White died of injuries caused by the mast, mounted atop the fuselage behind the pilot, being pushed down through the fuselage and pulling the Sutton seat harness back with such a force that he bent the back of the seat on impact with it (a modification was later made to the run of the cable that anchored the Sutton seat harness to the rear of the fuselage in production aircraft).

Specifications

Vickers-Supermarine Type 300
Production Head of Design Team:
Reginald J. Mitchell (until d.1937)
Joseph Smith

Design Office:
Supermarine Aviation Works (Vickers) Ltd, Woolston, Southampton
Role:
Interceptor fighter
Crew: 
One
Engine:
One liquid cooled, 12 cylinder Vee, Rolls-Royce Merlin C 990 hp (738 kW)
 Later fitted with Merlin F 1,035 hp (772 kW) and then Merlin II 1,030 hp (768 kW).
Armament: 
None initially. Later eight 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Browning machine-guns in wings, with 300 rounds per gun. 
Dimensions:
Length 29 ft 11 in (9.12 m)
Height (to tip of prop) 12 ft 8 in (3.86 m)
Wing Span 36 ft 10 in (11.23 m)
Wing Area 242.0 sq ft (22.48 sq m)
Weights:
Empty (Tare) 4,082 lb (1854 kg)
Fully Loaded 5,359 lb (2,434 kg)
Performance:
Maximum level speed 349 mph (562 kph) at 16,800 ft (5,120 m)
Initial rate of climb 2400 ft/min (731 m/min)
Time to 15,000 ft (4,570 m) 5 min 52 sec
Service ceiling 35,400 ft (10,790 m)
Endurance 1.78 hr

The accident that destroyed K5054 occurred the very day after Britain declared war on Germany!

YRmKYBZ.jpg
czEZpBx.jpg
C2hT6Kf.jpg

yVo1BEp.jpg

Skin can be downloaded HERE
Have fun and shoot straight mates!!

@ICDP Get well soon and thanks again!!
Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

As long as you are able to do early one offs ,perhaps you might try the pre-war high speed Spitfire?

post-393-0-56675900-1507819765_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Could be done. Could be. The only problem is that I aint quite cracked the polished aluminium look just yet... I'll put it on the list. Image downloaded for reference.

Watch this space........

Edited by Raptorattacker

Awesome skin Raptorattacker  :salute:  downloading now!

Thanks, 'tis a pleasure! Enjoy. and shoot straight mate!

7283e46a4aaea4a644b52a7668f2c52be183c5ab

The ones from this could be rather good. Given this being an eastern front sim (as well as my love of things in foreign service) I'm always glad to see the soviet schemes fleshed out rather than British or american ones from outside the theater (just a personal preference of mine)

• Upvote 1

7283e46a4aaea4a644b52a7668f2c52be183c5ab

The ones from this could be rather good. Given this being an eastern front sim (as well as my love of things in foreign service) I'm always glad to see the soviet schemes fleshed out rather than British or american ones from outside the theater (just a personal preference of mine)

I can do them if you want.

I have already done the n ° 65 it will be released soon at the same time as other skins of Russian plane.

Hmmm...

@A-E-Hartmann

I'll leave it with you for the time being as I've our 7th Grandchiddler about to show himself to the world so I'm a little tied up with stuff at the moment. Just let me know which ones NOT to do so we don't 'double up'?.

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Upvote 1

Don't know if you'd be interested but the Grey Nurse Spitfire is pretty damn bad ass. Would love to see someone attempt this  ;)

eef89d91dbd97be475db318194ed9831.jpg

Seems to be plenty of reference material for it too. 

Edited by Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz

Just let me know which ones NOT to do so we don't 'double up'?.

As mentioned above I made the "White 65".
I would like to make the "White 20".
 And I leave the other two to you if it suits you. :salute:

• Upvote 1

As mentioned above I made the "White 65".

I would like to make the "White 20".

And I leave the other two to you if it suits you. :salute:

Okay, I'll do 538 coz I like it. I think I'll have a go at The Grey Nurse as well, even though it aint a MkVB by the looks. What d'you reckon? Mk IX?

Oops, no, MkVIII

Okay, I'll do 538 coz I like it. I think I'll have a go at The Grey Nurse as well, even though it aint a MkVB by the looks. What d'you reckon? Mk IX?

Oops, no, MkVIII

Yes it is a MkVIII. :salute:

This is the plane :

Flying Officer K. B. May, Rockhampton, Qld, and Fl Sgt R. Blacklock, Brisbane, Qld, of 457 "Grey Nurse" Sqn RAAF, First Tactical Air Force in front of a Spitfire Mk VIII bearing the squadron’s shark jaws insignia. 

Morotai, Halmahera Islands, Netherlands East Indies. Apr-1945.

800670OG2363.jpg

9645980d64ef49ccfa20fc893f1fdd88c91f63au

Edited by A-E-Hartmann

@A-E-Hartmann

Nice one and thanks!

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch and with another Grandchild born this evening we have a celebratory W.I.P.

Not sure about the lightning, I've got it as AII Green weathered. What d'you reckon? It would've been an 'in the field' piece I would imagine...

post-127646-0-01879700-1507938268_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Upvote 2

I think I'll have a go at The Grey Nurse as well, even though it aint a MkVB by the looks. What d'you reckon? Mk IX?

Man that just made my day  :) you guys are awesome!. Yeah not a MKV but thought I'd ask anyway. Just such a cool looking livery.

As long as you are able to do early one offs ,perhaps you might try the pre-war high speed Spitfire?

What a beauty Blitzen!

@Raptor;  many congrats on the latest edition to the clan :salute:   My eldest son and his charming young lady are apparently scheduled to make me a grandfather on Boxing Day :)

@Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz

Absolutely no problem.

Thanks but what d'you reckon with the lightning stripe? Colour look right to you? It's just nagging me a little is all...

It seems a little too green.

the color of the profile is more appropriate. :)

251744538t.jpg

951055Spitfire028EP210.jpg

Edited by A-E-Hartmann

@A-E-Hartmann Hmmm... I know you're right (and I do have a lot of reference to the machine) so I'll just mess around with it, see what comes out. Thing is with the colour like in the picture above is that it bears very little relevance to the actual colours on the plane in reality (as I'm sure you know). I mean, that picture is of something that is meant to be Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green, isn't it? I dunno... d'you mind if I have a fiddle with it and then post another shot to see what you think?

Edited by Raptorattacker

I mean, that picture is of something that is meant to be Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green, isn't it? I dunno... d'you mind if I have a fiddle with it and then post another shot to see what you think?

For me, it would be correct with a medium Sea Gray and Dark Green camouflage.
It is true that with a photo, it is not easy to distinguish the shade of color.
Especially with black and white and the fact that the picture is of poor quality.
With the arrow strip of this hue.
Anyway I would do it like this. (Post a screen). :salute:

For me, it would be correct with a medium Sea Gray and Dark Green camouflage.

It is true that with a photo, it is not easy to distinguish the shade of color.

Especially with black and white and the fact that the picture is of poor quality.

With the arrow strip of this hue.

Anyway I would do it like this. (Post a screen). :salute:

Like what? Just says (Post a screen) with no link or anything... Antwats, I've reached this conclusion, after a while fiddling about and then down to the pub for a couple of ciders... Seems to work for me.

post-127646-0-47725800-1508005712_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Upvote 2

@DD_Arthur

Congratulations to you as well Mr! A christmas baby eh? Well, I guess it makes it a little cheaper on the prezzie front but then you just get a kid who grows up not knowing which one is meant to be the special day, he! he!. Trust me, my dear Wife is close enough to Christmas to not know which one is going to be the 'special present day'!!  :huh:  :biggrin:

Supermarine Spitfire MkVb EP210 'White 538' 3rd Escadrille 57th Guards Fighter Regiment

A 4K re - make of the default in - game 'Guards' skin with updated weathering and detailing.

Pilot probably Guards Lt. Serebryakov

Took part in combat against 109's on April 29th 1943

A.I. Kuban February to May 1943

7RPebzv.jpg

tyN98c3.jpg

4hJesIE.jpg

gNVxOhp.jpg

Skin can be downloaded HERE

Thanks to @A-E-Hartmann for help in detailing

@ICDP Thanks for the template, as ever!

Edited by Raptorattacker
  • Upvote 6

As far as I know unfortunately there is not an "official" pinned thread for Spit skins.  Excuse my ignorance but is this thread for all Spit skins or just the OP's?

As far as I know unfortunately there is not an "official" pinned thread for Spit skins.  Excuse my ignorance but is this thread for all Spit skins or just the OP's?

It's a thread with Spitskins in. I started it because there wasn't one so...

@Inkompetent @Stlg13/Sgt_Schultz

Thanks chaps, it was a pleasure and it's good to see that people enjoy them! Have fun and shoot straight mates!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Raptorattacker.  Below is a re-post of a Spit skin from another thread.  Try to keep them in one place.

The basis of my skin is Spit Registration EP495.  EP495 was part of the fourth order for 904 Spitfire Mk Vs Dated 23 August 1941, which included a run of registration numbers EP485 to EP523.  The fourth order received first delivery of EN763 on 26 April 1942 and last of ER199 on 4 September 1942.  This specific aircraft was manufactured at the Castle Bromwich Aeroplane Factory and had an M46 engine.  It was transferred to the USSR on February 16, 1943.

37142107316_80e3a81fc5_o.jpg

I took the liberty of adding the Guards Badge.  Unfortunately I have no squad ID number.

36536786364_400d99bcf6_b.jpg

In flight:

37389156095_e88466d648_h.jpg

Download link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/933arpclovt2z8r/SpitfireMkVb_EP495_4k.dds?dl=0

A big thanks to ICDP for his time and effort producing the template!

Cheers!

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stunning! Two super-gorgeous skins in so short order! :yahoo:

;)

superb Spits ;) ...thanks guys

Mon plaisir mon ami!!

Edited by Raptorattacker