Han

Developer Diary, Part 157 - Discussion

Dear pilots,

We have several good news for you today. The first one is that we almost finished the new aircraft - IL-2 mod. 1943. 
The second piece of good news is that we finished implementing the new graphics feature that is especially important for aircraft from 1943 - the rear view mirrors. 
The third piece of the good news is that we fixed the 'hit effects lagging' issue as close as it was possible.
The fourth piece of the good news is that we reworked SLI/Crossfire support that stopped functioning properly after upgrading our engine for DirectX 11. 
And finally, IL-2 Sturmovik team wants to congratulate you, dear friends, with the coming 72nd Victory Day anniversary. We remember the heroical deed of our ancestors and are thankful to them for the fact that we live in peace today, even if it is fragile. We wish peace and prosperity to all of you. Happy holiday!

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 13

Sounding great!

Thanks for the work on the Moscow Aerodromes, and the upcoming mirror implementation !

Thank You for the update. :clapping:

That is a lot of good news! Great work! I liked the video and small views of Kuban map.

Thank you, Han! We love you!

Edited by BorysVorobyov

Thx for this nice update :good:

A SLI Question:

After this update ist SLI going for VR ?

Does one have an I7-7700 and two 1080TI cards much more power for VR?

Great fixes! Especially the sound effects thing. Also: bomblets! An old favourite from the original!

The mirrors look very nice.

To counteract (what will be) the devastating effectiveness of the PTABs it would be nice to find a spot to review armor/ammunition/penetration modeling as a whole.

Very nice. Didn't expect PTABs to make it into the game. Hopefully this technology can be used to model german bombletts like the SD-2 as well in future.

The reworked damage effects look promising so do the mirrors.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

Can't wait to see even better in the Yak 1b! Will the spitfire be implemented with a mirror or will it have to wait? Also what does it say on the IL2 in the last picture?

Edited by =DF=PangolinWranglin

That's a lot of good stuff coming up!!!

Great work as always! Mighty impressed what you manage to squeeze in while also working on BoK.

Thx for this nice update :good:

A SLI Question:

After this update ist SLI going for VR ?

Does one have an I7-7700 and two 1080TI cards much more power for VR?

At the moment, the common AFR rendering technique is incompatible with VR because of the additional delay it causes. Graphics drivers disable it in VR mode.

Fantastic update,

lots of great fixes and features to look forward too.

Great stuff as always.

Cheers

One other small item not mentioned n this DD is that the particle processing method that we had to remove because of AMD card issues with it has been restored. So particle effects should not be such a big hit on FPS. Helps both nvidia and AMD cards.

Jason

• Upvote 36

One other small item not mentioned n this DD is that the particle processing method that we had to remove because of AMD card issues with it has been restored. So particle effects should not be such a big hit on FPS. Helps both nvidia and AMD cards.

Jason

Great news!

all nice improvements to the sim and a generally nice DD, but i was really hoping for a FM rudder fix update, telling us more in detail what we can expect, and especially when its going to be released...

• Upvote 2

Youre firing on all cylinders these days as a team, what you promise, you deliver in abundance

Many thanks very much to the devs for their continued efforts.

While the mirrors look fantastic I have to say that the scenery looking from the cockpit (there be mountains) looks even better.

I see sea!

Yet another great update - thanks! PTABs here we come - might actually hit something now :)

Cheers.

Great update. Bullet hits look amazing. Now if you could just implement a easy to use gun camera / wonder woman view so we can really enjoy them! When is the next update being released?

all nice improvements to the sim and a generally nice DD, but i was really hoping for a FM rudder fix update, telling us more in detail what we can expect, and especially when its going to be released...

I think they have told us most of what there is to tell about it. When it was announced they made very clear, that it would take a lot of time to implement, because they had to do it for all aircraft at once.

It's unfortunate, because it means that they have to model new planes for BoK with deliberately faulty rudder forces, but there's no way around it.

When we know we'll tell you. Takes a long time to update every plane.

Jason

• Upvote 7

I think they have told us most of what there is to tell about it. When it was announced they made very clear, that it would take a lot of time to implement, because they had to do it for all aircraft at once.

It's unfortunate, because it means that they have to model new planes for BoK with deliberately faulty rudder forces, but there's no way around it.

are you sure about that one...i mean the ones that are already released ok, but the pending ones too?

When we know we'll tell you. Takes a long time to update every plane.

Jason

sure, i know it will take time, and i didnt expect you to tell us that we see this FM patch next week....but could you possibly give us just an approximate guesstimation on when? like will it be weeks, or months, or only after BOK release?...just a very rough estimation, which of course i know is subject to change...

Edited by 9./JG27DavidRed

The only estimation I can give is 2017. Sorry but its a hard topic.

Jason

thx very much!

Another good update, with more solid content.

Thanks to all.

Fantastic news all around!

Im intrigued to try the mirrors in VR.

The bomblets sound like they will be a lot of fun to use.

And sound fixes + visual impacts more accurate!!! So excited for the next patch.

Now if you could just implement a easy to use gun camera / wonder woman view

Cycle through Alt+F2 views and you'll find a guncam view. Couldn't be easier to use. 

Very nice DD update, but this post is very important too ! :

It should be something you can easily toggle on and off and assign to your joystick like in 1946.

It should be something you can easily toggle on and off and assign to your joystick like in 1946.

Technology is quite different, I'm not sure if that is possible, also I would find it rather awkward to remove/add a morror in flight.

PTABs are very fun to use and are definitely an effective weapon. I nailed a Panzer IV with one on my first attempt in beta testing. :)

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 3

Great to hear about SLI fixes, but a big question:  Nvidia still has not released a driver profile that contains DX11 compatibility bits, and may never, as far as we know.  The new Dev Diary reports a 50 to 80% performance increase in some cases, but in order to make SLI actually function, you either have to have DX11 compatibility bits, or force AFR (which I've heard results in little or no scaling).   When the 2.010 update is released, what will the trick be on the user end to get SLI working as it should and producing these kinds of results?

Edited by Iceworm

Thank you Han and Jason, good stuff coming our way. Great job.

Cycle through Alt+F2 views and you'll find a guncam view. Couldn't be easier to use. 

It would be great with old black and white, shaky movie style like in the real guncam footage. But I have no idea how difficult that would be to implement. Sorry for my ignorance  :P

I use the old Movie Maker to make my movies but unfortunately, I lack that effect!  :(

Edited by -=PHX=-Spartan-