This will be where I post my experience with the Pimax 4k HMD $299-349.

First I will say I am happy with my purchase.  I have yet to try an oculus or Vive headset so please keep that in mind when considering my point of view. 

Comfort: Feels comfortable to wear for hour at a time as thats the most I have used it...I have a rather large head and wear glasses.  Others have used it with no complaints.

Screen:  I will start with the resolution of the screen.  It really does have a nice detailed screen.  It is not 4k per eye but I think it equates to 2k per eye under current configuration but has much higher pixel density than the other 2 mainstream headsets.  The 60hz refresh rate for me has not been an issue, for others it may be.  The smooth head tracking and crisp picture do make for a nice smooth picture and I am using DSR of 3840x2160.  So I am filling every pixel of the screen.  I use no AA and find the edges nice and smooth.  I do use 1.3 SS in Steamvr.  I wish I could compare how clear the views are compared to a Oculus or Vive but I am pleased with the screen.  The only screen door effect I see is if I stare a white cloud and even then I have to look for it to see it.  In action it will never cross your mind.  There are vertical black lines that are for defogging the lenses I believe and they are visible for a second but disappear once you focus on the Vr world.(some complain they can see them?)  There is ghosting of the screen but for me I do not notice it unless I stare at a gauge and move my head really fast.(its like having the ingame motion blur active.  They are working on constant updates and have improved this drastically in just a month.  I can spot well it is just hard to ID targets until they are within 4k or so.  I do not want to say I can spot better than other headsets because I have not tried the others, I can just say I am happy with what the Pimax does, I am a ground pounder most of the time.

Head Tracking: The head tracking on the unit has caused me zero problems so far.  The tracking is great for what it is but it does lack 6dof (I have Nolo vr add on coming in June so hopefully that will fix this issue).  I really do not find the lack of 6dof a game breaker as I have adjusted well enough, but I am sure it will be better with it no doubt.   There were complaints of the head drift being really bad for some users but I have found the constant software and firmware updates are doing a great job of killing bugs.  The drift is all but gone for me and I find I am re-centering my view less than I did with my Track IR but I do still have to do it every so often especially in a hectic dog fight.

Software:  The Piplay software is easy too use and they are working to make it better with noticeable gains in every updated. There  are 2 versions of the software people are using.  The latest is what I am using and it seems to be the best for IL2.  The older version had a little less ghosting but the scale was off a bit.  I have noticed performance gains in IL2 with the updates from Pimax and they are very active listening to the community even with a language barrier. 

I will update this as I have time but please ask any questions you have and I will do my best to answer.

• Upvote 2

Salutations,

The Pimax VR system looks promising. I think competition in the VR market is good for all of us in the long run. It will force quality up and prices down eventually. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh, to use your Pimax... are you required to go through Steam?

Thanks for the much needed details. Have been waiting to hear a little more. Have hard time id stuff more than 800m-1km away with rift. So you are good to go.

Edited by TunaEatsLion

Oh, to use your Pimax... are you required to go through Steam?

Thad I can run it without steam running in background. Now I do believe depending on which driver you use you do not need steam running but you do need to have steam vr downloaded but not running after initial setup of pimax. They are updating drivers every few weeks and I do remember an older driver where you needed steam vr to be active to play.

Good to read your opinion as I pulled the trigger on one last week!

It is somwhere on a slow boat from China and cannot get here soon enough.

Thad I can run it without steam running in background. Now I do believe depending on which driver you use you do not need steam running but you do need to have steam vr downloaded but not running after initial setup of pimax. They are updating drivers every few weeks and I do remember an older driver where you needed steam vr to be active to play.

Pretty sure it has to run through Steam VR though doesn't it?

I know with my Rift I do not have Steam running either, but when I launch BoS it launches Steam VR...

AFAIK Steam VR is the only API 1CGS coded BoS VR to run through...

Edited by dburne

Pretty sure it has to run through Steam VR though doesn't it?

I know with my Rift I do not have Steam running either, but when I launch BoS it launches Steam VR...

AFAIK Steam VR is the only API 1CGS coded BoS VR to run through...

You are correct steamvr does need to be running.  I also have revive running but that is for other games(ie assetto corsa) I just never turned it off.  Doesn't seem to bother anything so I just let it run.

GrendelsDad, do you do any level bombing?  I have wondered about ability to see targets at 4000+ meters.

Also, do you experience the God ray phenomenon?

No to the godrays Stick...the level bombing I do not really do. I could give it a go later as I have yet to jump in the he 111 yet...I will report back.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the really interesting write up GrendelsDad :salute:.    I suspect a lot of us here are interested in the Pimax. 

Can you remind us what your system comprises?

Didn't you have some FOV problem ? With the OSVR HDK2 the vertical and horizontal  FOV are not according...

With latest Pi play update all FOV issues are fixed...I am running i6700/3000ddr4/2 980 ti's/z170 mobo

Thanks for the review GrendelsDad, very interesting!

I am seriously thinking of replacing Rift with Pimax for better resolution. Especially when that Nolo vr add gives 6dof capability. 60Hz refresh rate is the only downside when comparing to Rift but I don`t think it`s problem for me.

Thanks for the review GrendelsDad, very interesting!

I am seriously thinking of replacing Rift with Pimax for better resolution. Especially when that Nolo vr add gives 6dof capability. 60Hz refresh rate is the only downside when comparing to Rift but I don`t think it`s problem for me.

Same here, thinking of selling the Rift...

I did put my Rift on sale after all. If someone will buy it, I will consider buying Pimax instead.

I did put my Rift on sale after all. If someone will buy it, I will consider buying Pimax instead.

I read on their forum that the view is actually around 75 degrees instead of 110 as the rift. This would take some adjusting to. Acer though should be releasing their unit around Christmas...for 299.

Hi

Received my pimax4k last week and very impressed slight_smile.png?v=3

I have it working in Elite Dangeroous without issue but in Il-2:Battle of Stalingrad, the virtual body position is laterally offset to the right. This means that you are not able to see the cross hair of the gunsite. It can be seen clearly when looking at the chaperone circle as it is not centred on the ingame seat!

Please note I am not talking about rotational (yaw) drift which is being correctly reset either through the piplay re-centre button or through the games inbuilt re-centre VR view keybind.

Does anyone know how to correct this?

NB: I am running piplay 1.2.63, firmware 1.0.0.251

Many Thanks

Mars

Acer though should be releasing their unit around Christmas...for 299.

From this article, it doesn't look too promising.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/gadget/microsoft-vr-headset-latest-rumours-release-date-uk-price-specifications-3651127/

It's clear that the headset is a step above a mobile VR experience, but isn't aimed at those who are looking to game in VR - those interested in gaming should look at the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

I sold my Rift today. After two months of experimenting, I just could not adjust to the low resolution. I prefer to play with my monitor instead so no reason to keep Rift anymore. I think I`ll wait a bit to see how the Nolo vr add works out or if some other way show up to add 6dof capability for Pimax. 

I read on their forum that the view is actually around 75 degrees instead of 110 as the rift. This would take some adjusting to. Acer though should be releasing their unit around Christmas...for 299.

Really? Specs say 110 degrees but 75 sounds really narrow... 

I will update this as I have time but please ask any questions you have and I will do my best to answer.

What`s your opinion on the Pimax fov issue? I mean what the TunaEatsLion said above.

I sold my Rift today. After two months of experimenting, I just could not adjust to the low resolution. I prefer to play with my monitor instead so no reason to keep Rift anymore. I think I`ll wait a bit to see how the Nolo vr add works out or if some other way show up to add 6dof capability for Pimax.

Really? Specs say 110 degrees but 75 sounds really narrow...

What`s your opinion on the Pimax fov issue? I mean what the TunaEatsLion said above.

The new headsets coming around Christmas (at least 1 around august) are supposed to have 95 degrees, so folks must be ok with narrower views. I honestly probably would be too as the sharper image would make all the difference at this point, but without trying its hard to tell. Edited by TunaEatsLion

There is no one on this forum that I respect more than Zami.

He is knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

I'm sorry to hear he sold his Rift.

I have had mine about 3 weeks and it has completely renewed my interest in this simulator.

I love it more than ever because of the immersion. The lower resolution is an acceptable trade off to me.

I will be really interested in what other people think as well as everyone gains more experience with VR.

I wonder if the novelty will wear off for some people.  I can't picture that happening to me because I love the VR implementation so much in this sim. 

• Upvote 1

For me, the fov is a bigger issue than the resolution.

After getting corrective lenses for the rift I even had to turn off the sharpen filter. Sure, resolution could be better, but I would not trade peripheral vision for it.

Narrower than what it currently is, I suspect would get me right back in the feeling of viewing the world through a hole, or a regular monitor.

There is no one on this forum that I respect more than Zami.

He is knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

I'm sorry to hear he sold his Rift.

I have had mine about 3 weeks and it has completely renewed my interest in this simulator.

I love it more than ever because of the immersion. The lower resolution is an acceptable trade off to me.

I will be really interested in what other people think as well as everyone gains more experience with VR.

I wonder if the novelty will wear off for some people.  I can't picture that happening to me because I love the VR implementation so much in this sim. 

I got my Rift on January 15th, and have not gamed on my 2d monitor since. First was with DCS and then when 1CGS added VR support with 2.009 it has been BoS ever since.

The resolution has never bothered me, and I find I don't even think about it.

When I was getting ready for the release of 2.009, I went into BoS and set up all my controls as I had not flown it in quite some time. I took some short flights as I was getting them set up, and to me it was horrible, seeing the world on my 27" monitor, rather than being in the world like I was with VR. Then 2.009 was released and I was completely blown area. I am probably approaching 40 hours now in this sim since VR implementation, and can truly say I continue to be blown away by each flight. 

I absolutely love my Rift and could not be happier with my purchase of it, along with the Touch Controllers. And I purchased them about 2 weeks before the big price drop from Oculus. The Touch Controllers opened up a whole new world of gaming for me, that is extremely immersive. I enjoy them, but still flight sim - namely BoS get the vast bulk of my time.

1CGS has done an absolutely incredible job with their implementation of VR. It is beautiful. And with 2.010 the terrain shimmering is pretty much gone, and performance came in way higher than I ever expected with their implementation of VR.

So after 4 months of intense VR gaming with my Rift, I can say I am absolutely hooked. It is now VR or nothing for me. I have no games on my computer now that do not have VR support.  The Rift has way exceeded any expectations I ever had for the device.

I remember all those many years ago, when I got this device called Track IR and first hooked it up to my computer to use with the original IL-2. I was so blown away by the Track IR, I thought wow this is as good as it gets.

That initial impression of Track IR absolutely pales in comparison, to the wow factor I got from the Oculus Rift. Not even close.

Certainly yes the first generation of VR has some shortcomings, but at least for me I never even really notice them as I am so immersed in that Virtual World. And BoS is still beautiful in VR.  But I will also say, flight simming for me has never been all about the graphics. For me, it has always been about the quality of the gameplay and the immersion of the experience, as well as decent graphics. 

And right now, BoS in VR fits that bill wonderfully for me, more so than I ever dreamed it would.

I would not trade my Rift for anything.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 3

Very well said, dburne.

I feel exactly the same.

Never going back to a 2D monitor.

Guys, even though I sold my Rift, I know exactly what you are talking about. I felt those same things when playing games in VR, it`s very immersive experience. I don`t regret buying Rift and trying it out, now I know what it means to fly in VR and it was a great experience. Especially in BoS because the VR implementation is absolutely superb!

It`s very much personal what bothers you and what don`t, and for me it was unfortunately the resolution of the HMD. I really tried to forget it but it just did not work, it caught my attention every time I played. So, eventually I noticed that I am playing almost exclusively with my monitor instead of Rift, including BoS. So, there was no point of keeping the good device dusting in the shelf.

I know I`ll be back in VR, I just need more accurate display to do that. Maybe that Pimax is an answer, I might try it out at some point.

And BMW801, thanks for your kind words  :salute:

Edited by Zami
  • Upvote 1

I sincerely hope the Pimax people are able to either implement 6dof tracking or find some way to add it.  Sounds like a great product though.  Hopefully others will jump into this thread with more impressions and experiences.  S! and thanks for the review GD.

• Upvote 1

Guys, even though I sold my Rift, I know exactly what you are talking about. I felt those same things when playing games in VR, it`s very immersive experience. I don`t regret buying Rift and trying it out, now I know what it means to fly in VR and it was a great experience. Especially in BoS because the VR implementation is absolutely superb!

It`s very much personal what bothers you and what don`t, and for me it was unfortunately the resolution of the HMD. I really tried to forget it but it just did not work, it caught my attention every time I played. So, eventually I noticed that I am playing almost exclusively with my monitor instead of Rift, including BoS. So, there was no point of keeping the good device dusting in the shelf.

I know I`ll be back in VR, I just need more accurate display to do that. Maybe that Pimax is an answer, I might try it out at some point.

+1. Resolution and FOV are the gamebreakers - at least for me as a flightsimmer that needs to spot/identify tiny Targets.

Ill be definately back in action in VR as soon as there is a HMD that offers at least 130° FOV and a resolution that allows good contactspotting and identification in games like BOS/DCS.

Salutations,

"It`s very much personal what bothers you and what don`t, and for me it was unfortunately the resolution of the HMD. I really tried to forget it but it just did not work, it caught my attention every time I played. So, eventually I noticed that I am playing almost exclusively with my monitor instead of Rift, including BoS."

This basically reflects my opinion of the current VR hardware and their performance. I am what I call a 'graphics whore'. I purchase my computer equipment to allow me to get the highest game resolutions and at the fastest FPS I can afford. Investing in expensive VR equipment that reduces that graphic performance simply doesn't appeal to me... not mention the reduced FOV.

But, I will watch future VR developments.

And I would not trade VR for nothing.

I guess I am an Immersion whore LOL.

While it may not be beautiful 4K or even 1440p, running mine at Ultra settings with Pixel Density of 1.6 and 4x terrain distance, AF on Sharpen, it looks pretty darn sweet to me. 1CGS really did in incredible job with this VR implementation.

And I too am really looking forward to seeing what the next generation of VR brings to the table.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

Salutations,

"It`s very much personal what bothers you and what don`t, and for me it was unfortunately the resolution of the HMD. I really tried to forget it but it just did not work, it caught my attention every time I played. So, eventually I noticed that I am playing almost exclusively with my monitor instead of Rift, including BoS."

This basically reflects my opinion of the current VR hardware and their performance. I am what I call a 'graphics whore'. I purchase my computer equipment to allow me to get the highest game resolutions and at the fastest FPS I can afford. Investing in expensive VR equipment that reduces that graphic performance simply doesn't appeal to me... not mention the reduced FOV.

Thad, noticed you've been asking questions and following VR threads.

If you judge VR by resolution, graphic performance and fps, your really missing the point. And no VR won't reduce your fov compared to a monitor. Just wont be as good as real life peripheral vision, imagine wearing ski-goggles. You still have peripheral vision available with those on.

I understand being curious, it's a hefty investment. But find a shop that will let you try a vive or rift, in the end i'ts the only way you'll know if it's your thing or not. Some experience nausea, I've heard of those that find wearing an Hmd was too claustrophobic. Others obviously need better resolution.

I personally think i'ts absolutely amazing and though I was very sceptical before trying, I now find 2d gaming as exciting as staring at a nice painting on a wall. If the painting is 2k or 8k really does not make much of a difference. It's still just a framed, 2d, painting, that I'm sitting and watching trying to imagine I'm there.

Edited by a_radek

Thad, noticed you've been asking questions and following VR threads.

If you judge VR by resolution, graphic performance and fps, your really missing the point. And no VR won't reduce your fov compared to a monitor. Just wont be as good as real life peripheral vision, imagine wearing ski-goggles. You still have peripheral vision available with those on.

I understand being curious, it's a hefty investment. But find a shop that will let you try a vive or rift, in the end i'ts the only way you'll know if it's your thing or not. Some experience nausea, I've heard of those that find wearing an Hmd was too claustrophobic. Others obviously need better resolution.

I personally think i'ts absolutely amazing and though I was very sceptical before trying, I now find 2d gaming as exciting as staring at a nice painting on a wall. If the painting is 2k or 8k really does not make much of a difference. It's still just a framed, 2d, painting, that I'm sitting and watching trying to imagine I'm there.

It`s not how you judge it. As I said, immersion is awesome. The low resolution was just too disturbing, it literally jumped my eyes every time I was flying with Rift. The immersion was heavily disturbed by the blurry view, it`s basically like viewing through ski glasses when you are very drunk.

I think it has to do with many things, ones eye vision is one of them. I have great eye vision, never used glasses or anything like that. I see every detail very clearly. 

Salutations,

Sounds like you better try it before purchasing, if you are thinking of getting one. And take notice when the wow factor wears out, the resolution looks even worse than in the beginning. 

Zami. I don't find it easy understanding why someone with a well working hmd chooses to go back to piloting on a monitor. But I do trust you when you say all was working fine. And as I don't want to be a "my toys are cooler than yours" kind of guy, realize the resolution can for others be a much bigger issue than it is for me.

We do agree on that anyone interested should try it before buying. With a very skeptical view towards the initial wow factor.

** snip **

... But find a shop that will let you try a vive or rift, ...

** snip **

I was interested and ready to purchase a VR unit.  I tried on three occasions to do exactly what you suggest at two different locations.  Once with a Vive and twice with a Rift.  Absolutely lousy customer service.  The Vive was shoved in a corner of the store.  It wasn't in working order and although the store was pretty empty,  no one came over to ask if I needed any help.  When I approached someone they were clueless.  On the other hand the Rift was under lock and key under glass and could not even be touched.  You'd think it was made of pure gold.  With the Rift, it was NOT the problem of the retailer, though they didn't help.  Rift won't let the retailer's staff to demo the unit, they have to do it on specific days.  When I went there on the day specified they had already left.  Guess they haven't heard of "train the trainer".  The staff would probably turn over units a lot quicker.  If you make it difficult to try a product, guess what happens?

Since that BS I'm on hold.

I was interested and ready to purchase a VR unit. I tried on three occasions to do exactly what you suggest at two different locations. Once with a Vive and twice with a Rift. Absolutely lousy customer service. The Vive was shoved in a corner of the store. It wasn't in working order and although the store was pretty empty, no one came over to ask if I needed any help. When I approached someone they were clueless. On the other hand the Rift was under lock and key under glass and could not even be touched. You'd think it was made of pure gold. With the Rift, it was NOT the problem of the retailer, though they didn't help. Rift won't let the retailer's staff to demo the unit, they have to do it on specific days. When I went there on the day specified they had already left. Guess they haven't heard of "train the trainer". The staff would probably turn over units a lot quicker. If you make it difficult to try a product, guess what happens?

Since that BS I'm on hold.

You could start an "anyone with il2 VR I my area?"-thread here. Said it before, and though my location is quite off, I'd welcome any flightsimmer to try out il2 in VR at my place.

• Upvote 1

Any of you guys tried riftcat software with Pimax? Riftact has now new futures like HDMI output and Moonlight streaming support and adjustable FOV. 

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Any of you guys tried riftcat software with Pimax? Riftact has now new futures like HDMI output and Moonlight streaming support and adjustable FOV. 

Was looking for something just like this.  Thanks for posting!