Nunz2

Ways to impove the chat system and squad recruiting.

When you think about this game, other than the sim aspect, its lacking a lot of polish that most MMOs games have. Like for one, we don't have chat tabs. I suggest a tab for area chat, a tab for squad chat ( I'll get into in a sec) and a chat tab for sides. Which we already have.

We also lack much in the way of community resources and tools. For example, we don't have a friends list. We also don't have a way to invite people into squad in server. Much of it seems to be third party. I think these tools are missing from IL2 which could greatly increase the tools people have to build their squads, friends and team communication.

I realize voip solve most these issues. But I feel IL2 is missing some key aspects, OUTSIDE of the amazing game play and simulation. I hope to see the devs, who I am sure are working hard, consider this a chance to review these aspects of game play and consider adding depth.

Thanks!

---

side note: Please don't flame me. Im sensitive. :0

Edited by Nunz
  • Upvote 1

I have literally no idea what you're talking about.

That said I'm interested. Care to get into deeper detail?

We've always used Teamspeak and are moving to discord. We've never found them wanting.

What exactly are you proposing?

Voip is a great tool. The best tool for its purpose. But it doesn't fulfill the need for dynamics in game play that entry level players could find useful. You know how when someone is bombing an objective and it shows so-and-so has destroyed ect ect? Well when someone chats during this time, it's almost certain you wont have time to read what they have said. This solves that problem by creating a 'tab' that you can click on that fills with damage reports. While we have another tab that would and could be squad chat. Then another chat which would separate all chat from objective chat, and another for team chat. Like ctrl-enter does now. These are aspects that ALL mmos have and new players will certainly find the familiarity more comforting. Along with the occasional 66666 call from a friendly in 'local' chat. I assume this won't break immersion as we could assume that these pilots had radios (Maybe im wrong here?)

As far as squad recruiting this is just plain imperative in an MMO. Maybe also we can go as far as being able to group with others and talk in group chat. These are tools WE NEED to create a stronger dynamic and strategic comradeship.

I feel these additions would only add to the game REGARDLESS if voip exists or not.

Edited by Nunz

Sorry if I seem pushy, here. But this has been on my mind for awhile and seeing the game from this perspective, the core being such a great time, again, I feel there are a few aspects that this sim lacks.

Thanks again!

That´s exactly what it focuses on...

the planes the guns the engines and the maps n shit.

anything else... use what ever tools are freely available.
community? come here.
wanna chat? Teamspeak!

Why would i want to have damage reports of what a ju88 nuked 150 miles away when doing my dance against 109´s in a yak?
Why would i want to have to type at all, i mean... texting while driving is a shitty idea. Typing while getting shot at is the wurst.
Plus as you said... nobody pays attention to "hilp me! Friedrich on my ass"
Text on screen generally sucks anyway - how often do we have time to read it , how much of the time does it make sense, be useful, , be relevant?

Yes.
The MMO aspect sucks - if you are looking for an MMO aspect in this Simulation game at all.
But who would?
But this is not what the developers focus on.
Cooperation is not easy i agree.
This is not warthunder
maybe having an ingame chat for axis/allies/neutral... but the Team has set up a Teamspeak Server for that, so use it?

This is what the community has to figure out themselves - gear up, man up, get a mic, hit the forums and dive in.

The opportunity to meet new people through dynamic social events is somethng that's missing from this game. Ive played some pretty hardcore niche games and even they have always at least attempted to mass-appeal. I still feel this is lacking regardless of there being voip servers. Chats obviously broken considering you can't use it half the time somethings being bombed. (That's what I meant by the way. Not a server wide damage chat)

This chats clearly a place holder and I believe it's time to rework the UI.

You suggest its something the community should attempt to meta. I disagree. I believe the meta would be much deeper with the ability to communicate with others in a clearly and more concise fashion without the need of exchanging TS and Discord addys but instead offering these tools to the players to better make use of squadron tactics.

The idea that you can't chat while flying is absurd. There is tons of information that can be exchanged between parties while in sortie outside of being in a dog fight.

Especially that no-one else needs to read.

Edited by Nunz

One word, Teamspeak.

(Or is that two?)

Edited by Riderocket

You can't even copy and paste a ts addy out of the chat lol

Shortsighted.

The addy will literally sit there for 4 seconds before its deleted.  How exactly is that conducive to a cooperate environment?

Edited by Nunz

I think that the people mentioning Teamspeak or Discord as NECESSARY are still in 15 years in the past. It is not too much to ask that a game in this day at least has a decently functional chat system, because we shouldn't expect that every single player keeps track of every single TeamSpeak or Discord server for every single IL-2 server. A chat that's possible to display properly and that can be seen in the map screen should be expeced features.

There is already a great entry level into the game since it has a complete absence of tutorials We don't need to actively try to make the entry level even higher and sit on our high pedestal thinking that anyone who doesn't want to go through all the effort isn't even worthy to play the game.

If people want to turn off the chat because they find it cancerous; fine. That should be an option too for those who want that (unlike how it works now where you are forced to turn off the entire UI to hide the chat).

Edited by Inkompetent

The Steam Client definitely has friends list ability. I know that not everyone uses Steam, but it is there.

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of people who will play this game and never look at the forums. Your opinion is ablest in the least. Plenty of people do not want to join a voip server to talk to others because of a number of reasons. Social anxiety, being one. Another is financing. Why should someone invest in a headset, be forced to, to coop with others?

Its shallow to assume that because you can't make use of a functioning chat and group settings that others can't.

More tabs help because you can easily not read general chat and focus on squad chat or group chat. Have you never played another mmo?

You need sheep and wolves in games like this. You're lacking sheep. This game could be much more catering to entry level players and be much better for the community.

Its fanboy to not support a reworking of the UI. Its broken in its current condition. YES supporting broken features is the definition of fanboy.

----

Im literally flying as I post on the forums. LOOK MAH NO HANDS! You've pointed out work-arounds. Great. That's not the point of this thread,. The point of this thread is I believe it's time to implement a solution to the problem of communication in server.

Edited by Nunz

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of people who will play this game and never look at the forums. Your opinion is ablest in the least. Plenty of people do not want to join a voip server to talk to others because of a number of reasons. Social anxiety, being one. Another is financing. Why should someone invest in a headset, be forced to, to coop with others?

Its shallow to assume that because you can't make use of a functioning chat and group settings that others can't.

More tabs help because you can easily not read general chat and focus on squad chat or group chat. Have you never played another mmo?

You need sheep and wolves in games like this. You're lacking sheep. This game could be much more catering to entry level players and be much better for the community.

Its fanboy to not support a reworking of the UI. Its broken in its current condition. YES supporting broken features is the definition of fanboy.

----

Im literally flying as I post on the forums. LOOK MAH NO HANDS! You've pointed out work-arounds. Great. That's not the point of this thread,. The point of this thread is I believe it's time to implement a solution to the problem of communication in server.

Check the dev diary entries on the proposed Air Marshall feature. I am very hopeful this will sort out many of the coordination issues you are referring to.

one feature which certainly would help players work as a team a lot better, would be to (as long as server has GPS enabled) display the sender's grid position at the time of sending on all team messages

that should improve the level of communication at least a little bit closer to an authentic minimum... even in the worst case scenario for lack of radio in historic dogfights, the amount of communication (by signals and whatnot) between aircraft was still quite a lot better than your average MP session will have

all online games actually see this phenomenon - on shooters in general, there'll be several orders of magnitude less communication between players in a team than there'd be in an analogous real world situation

anything that helps players communicate efficiently in MP is desperately needed 

another much desirable feature would be to extend the existing ingame comms system (press "~", then f1, f2, f3... you know) to include broadcasting team messages such as reporting one's position, announcing takeoff, landing, asking for help dealing with problems one might find on his "six"...  you get the idea

Well, that escalated quickly.

You went from interesting to full retard with the SJW 'ableist' labeling and virtue signaling.

Never go full retard.

You keep citing MMO's have these features. This isn't an MMO. It's a flight simulator. It's comparing apples and anvils.

The majority of the people that buy this game will never ever play online. Offliners are and will ever be the majority in the IL2 series. If what e saw online were the majority of the games buyers the studio would have closed up shop a while ago.

Furthermore why reinvent the wheel? Almost all of the pilots I know turn that annoying, silly HUD off. Small sample size but in my experience it's an unused 'feature'.

So you want to have tabbed browsing for chat messages? I'm sorry but I for one don't get it. Why?

Teamspeak and discord allow for excellent squad comms. Why have the devs develop something the third part guys support so well?

What will your system do for the squads that they aren't already doing well enough?

I can just make shit up to make my points too.

Please don't come into my threads and call people 'retards'. Just call me a dirty commie. SJW isn't used often by the racist ignorant anymore. Aren't you keeping up with the times in the US?

I'm not going to repeat my self every time some-one feels like throwing their hat in the ring here rather than address the issue that more people don't use vent then do use vent.

While I appreciate that you lack vision I must implore you to search inside and envision a game that, idk, offers the WHOLE PACKAGE and ENTICES new people to try out flight sims.

This is an MMO, after all ;)

Air marshal system, though? If they're implementing new game modes, they'll have to rework UI and chat system. Time will tell, I guess. See ya when I see ya!

Edited by Nunz

First: No, it isn't.

MMO: A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG or MMO) is an online game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players, typically from hundreds to thousands, simultaneously in the same instance (or world). MMOs usually feature a huge, persistent open world, although some games differ. These games can be found for most network-capable platforms, including the personal computer, video game console, or smartphones and other mobile devices.

IL2 does not meet the basic criteria of an MMO.

-Player numbers supported are much lower than typical MMO's

-No persistent world in which to play (only the temporary rotating servers with limited player numbers)

So call it what it is, first and foremost a single player flight simulator with a multiplayer option. From the Games homepage:

"This sim is the next generation of the legendary IL-2 Sturmovik series of WWII flight-sim games.

• Robust Single-Player Campaigns that recreate the great battles of WWII, letting the players become a participant of these events.
  • Flexible Quick Mission mode that allows you to create your own custom combat scenario in just a few mouse clicks, allowing a convenient way to familiarize yourself with aircraft and hone combat maneuvers.
  • Classic multiplayer mode with convenient lobby system allows friends to meet each other at a virtual battlefield to battle in the air and on the ground.
  • Mission Editor tool allows you to create your own scenarios of any complexity for single-player and multi-player alike."

The last part of the IL2 series that tried to go the MMO route almost sunk the entire franchise. See CoD.

Second: Ill say what I like within the code of conduct, thanks much. Keep virtue signaling.

Third: As someone who runs a squad here, you've not really made a case for your suggestions. Why should the devs take time away from making us more planes, more maps, and improving game physics?

Ill just quote myself here to save time.

"So you want to have tabbed browsing for chat messages? I'm sorry but I for one don't get it. Why?
Teamspeak and discord allow for excellent squad comms. Why have the devs develop something the third part guys support so well?
What will your system do for the squads that they aren't already doing well enough?"

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by 1./JG54_Uwe

It would be nice to have a lobby chat. It would be a great tool for the community to bond and readily find others to fly with.

However, voice chat would probably more work than it's worth. In my gaming experience, no one uses it even in games with a good VOIP system.

Also, I'm a firm believer that if someone doesn't want to voice chat or text chat, they aren't going to no matter how good/bad the chat system or VOIP system is. And that's usually the majority of players.

A chat lobby would be great, ( if that's what the OP was suggesting, I missed it).

I think he was more talking about adding more detail to the chat in servers.

I just figured I'd piggy back to push my own agenda lol

It would be nice to have a lobby chat. It would be a great tool for the community to bond and readily find others to fly with.

However, voice chat would probably more work than it's worth. In my gaming experience, no one uses it even in games with a good VOIP system.

Also, I'm a firm believer that if someone doesn't want to voice chat or text chat, they aren't going to no matter how good/bad the chat system or VOIP system is. And that's usually the majority of players.

This I agree with. Although VOIP would be nice it's a lot of work creating a good system for it (for example a system kind'a like Squad's, where you have a squad radio, and then a command net radio for the squad leaders) would require a lot of work on the side too, since we can't have the entire bloody sitting in the same voice channel. And how does one then divide the team into bite-sized units, and how do those communicate with each other?

Sure, it'd be a nice thing to have, but nothing that I'd want them to prioritize at the moment.

However getting decent text chat functionality (and no talk about chat tabs here) wouldn't be too much to ask, I think.

A chat lobby would be great, ( if that's what the OP was suggesting, I missed it).

Same here, something like hyperlobby would be pretty cool. Perhaps each server could have a chat attached to it in the game multiplayer menu.

Didn't see that in the OP suggestions though.