Gambit21

Single Player Ju-52 missions by Gambit 21

Missions removed temporarily while being updated - will be re-posted soon.

These are the first 5 missions to the "Pelicans over Moscow" non-historical Ju-52 scripted campaign that I've been working on.

These are in single mission format for the moment, not in the scripted campaign format.

There are "letters home" which help lend to atmosphere/immersion but I'm going to hang on to those in case I end up finishing the campaign.

I'm releasing the first 5 as a sort of 'market test' to gauge response, and maybe determine if there's enough interest for me to finish the campaign or move on to something else.

The plan was to complete 20 missions and sell in the upcoming campaign system, then move on to an A-20 campaign when Kuban arrives - then Midway.

However...having learned the mission editor, and having the ability now to more or less make it do what I want...it's still a huge, and I mean HUGE amount of work to create these missions.

If you fly them, you'll have some idea as to why. Further, I have encountered multiple AI bugs associated with Ju-52 along the way that I've taken time to sus out, test, re-test and send to Habu and Han.

This has just exacerbated the 'time suck' aspect, and some quirky behavior still exists.

Thus the editor is powerful, but it can also be the most obstinate foe.

Aside from that, there's probably at least 15 hours into each mission by the time all is said and done. That's a huge amount of work, and I don't want to devote time to 15 more missions unless I think

it will pencil out.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be stopping here for now, then moving on to an A-20 (an aircraft everyone with Kuban will own) scripted campaign when Kuban get's here...but we shall see.

Please fly with Icons off, but chat messages on...watch the leader for drops since the leader doesn't always notify you that he's dropping. (another bug)

If there are any problems, bugs etc let me know.

Place the "Pelicans over Moscow" folder in your IL2/Data/Missions folder.

I will upload these elsewhere when I have time.

Edit - Letters Home/Journal entries added in Word format.

@21 downloads for this new fixed version, that's 110 total. (for my reference)

Ju52 Campaign Letters.zip

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 20

Many thanks- I'll love to give them a try! :salute:

Awesome, will check them out as soon as I find the time!

Thank's a lot!!

Thank you, Gambit.

I can confirm the missing route.

And I suppose the game has to be in english language, as the mission briefings don't show up, when I have my game in german, as I use to have it.

I don't have mission routes on the player map at this stage - Just follow your flight leader. :)

I'll add them when I get a chance.

That icon is just a front line icon that needs the title deleted in it's properties.

I need a bit of help.I can't seem to get the door open to unload the lovely stenciled crates...Can I assign a keystroke for it & do I need another keystroke to get the crates off the plane...I'm afraid one of themworries me a bit...   I 'd like to get rid of it as soon as possible!

post-393-0-87975800-1492705320_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

The player map aspect is not polished, as I've been concentrating on the missions themselves, and understanding of the map icons is something I put off until late in the process. Your job is to stay in formation anyway. :)

Thanks gambit, will give them a whirl after I get some pracice in the the "Auntie".

I need a bit of help.I can't seem to get the door open to unload the lovely stenciled crates...Can I assign a keystroke for it & do I need another keystroke to get the crates off the plane...I'm afraid one of themworries me a bit...   I 'd like to get rid of it as soon as possible!

RAlt + C is the key and "B" to unload the cargo while the plane is standing still :)

I was able to fly a handful of these before I got massively (and ceaselessly) busy with work and life.

They're some of the best, most atmospheric flights I've had in the sim.

Great work, Gambit. You're the man!  :salute:

RAlt + C is the key and "B" to unload the cargo while the plane is standing still :)

:salute:

Thanks Guys.

I've added the Letters Home/Journal entries that when I get around to completing a scripted campaign, will be worked in somehow.

For now, you can read each of the 5 entries before you fly the corresponding mission if you wish.

They're in Word format.

One idea I had for working them into the campaign is to create a 3D rendering of a wooden table with a  worn tin coffee cup, maybe a lamp, and a journal or letter where the script is rendered for each entry.

Sort of an EAW immersion approach (not that EAW had this exact thing, but if you flew it you know what I mean)

Then I would make this render available to other mission builders as well, if I can work out a way for them to easily make us if it without getting into

3D work or Photoshop. Anyway I haven't gotten to this render yet, and frankly I'm not sure the default image size we're allowed in the scripted campaign system is large

enough to make this idea practical...since the letter/journal would be very small in an already somewhat small image. 

Devs if you read this...an option for a larger image for the scripted campaign screens would be helpful.

• Upvote 1

I was able to fly a handful of these before I got massively (and ceaselessly) busy with work and life.

Agree completely...

If  Gambit releases it as a scripted campaign I will buy it for sure.

Bloody brilliant Gambit. I purchased the Ju52 because I buy everything they put out but did not envisage using it after a bit of a play. However, after doing your first mission I am hooked. Twas most immersive twas. Mercury bow coops (or similar)

Played the first mission now.

Just a little issue and I do not know, if you can do much here or if this is the game's fault:

After unloading my cargo I taxied to my wingmen to get into parking position next to him. Just after shutting down his engine, his aircraft disappeard. That was a little immersion breaking.

Other than that, it was a really well crafted mission. Very atmospheric and populated Airfields. And a lot of activity in the air on the way to the other airbase. 

I am really looking forward to the rest of the missions.

Thank's a lot.  :)

Comes - nothing I can do about him disappearing, that's just how the logic works.

What I can do is immediately spawn another aircraft in its place. That takes a bit of effort/testing to set up correctly - I did it in a later mission after I figured out how. ;)

I asked the devs about a week ago, if it is still necessary, to despawn them, so let's wait and see, what Han's answer will be.

I asked the devs about a week ago, if it is still necessary, to despawn them, so let's wait and see, what Han's answer will be.

Yes it is necessary to despawn units once they land :

1- For the ressource. Entity take more ressource than block.

2- If they don't despawn, dev had to program the fact that plane park on the parking. With that action, thay have to programm that if you have several IA, the IA detect the previous IA to avoid a crash. And they have to programm, that if a parking is full, they have to go to another one. So at the end, it's a lots of ressource wich could be usefull for extra unit in the air, on the road, etc..

Exactly - the routine would have to change so that the AI in a flight park one after the other in a line...as it stands they all go to the same spot one after the other as they land.

However it would be nice to still have the check box, so that I could have the option to have a single AI land, park, and not disappear.

Okay, just as I thought.

Played the second mission and approaching the front was really intense. :)

Hello fellow Pacific North West-er. I've only played 2 missions. Fun stuff! It only needs finishing touches like map icons/front lines/briefing and it's just about perfect I'd say. I really like NOT being flight lead. It forces you to fly in formation which is more immersive, and the eye candy is great. I've been researching Stuka's in the battle of Stalingad and I am still debating whether or not to have the player be flight lead...or maybe you get "promoted" at some point and take lead position... anyways great stuff man. You may as well sell your future work!

Habu, I agree with your post. On the other hand, in the stock campaign, I saw several times AI 110s land in groups of two or three together and at least with two AI aircrafts, it worked, that they taxied to the parking position and parked one besides the other. Unfortunately, I can't remember, if it worked, when three aircrafts were landing together.

Habu, I agree with your post. On the other hand, in the stock campaign, I saw several times AI 110s land in groups of two or three together and at least with two AI aircrafts, it worked, that they taxied to the parking position and parked one besides the other. Unfortunately, I can't remember, if it worked, when three aircrafts were landing together.

Keep in mind, that it's a bug. And sometimes, they can park (less than 1%) or give teh impression they park (but if you look closer, you'll see the propeller of the second plane which cut the first one), but most of the time, they crash into themselves. The landing in group is a bug. It's a feature we ask, but which is not programm with Ai. When you see it, it's a problem, because at that time AI must abort thair landing, if there is another AI which land or is on the runway. I know that sometimes, 2 Ai land as a group can do it, but it's not a feature.In 99% when 2 AI land, they crash at the parking. But sometimes, the second plane take more time to taxi, and arrive at the parking when the first one disappear.

OK, I understand, das to hear this. What about recognizing the parked player aircraft? It is always the thing I am in fear of, when I parked my aircraft and wait to see, how my AI wingman taxis to the parking area, that, like it was quite often in good old '46, the AI is ramming into my aircraft.

I don't test that, because, you have to park your plane at the point where the Ai have to park their plane. But, i'm pretty sure that they crash into the player plane as they do with other AI.

IIRC, there was one time, when I had to press the 'pause' key, to not be rammed by a parking AI aircraft, but most of the times I tried it, it was no problem.

So it might be luck, that it, most times, doesn't happen. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for your answers, Habu.

Edited by Yogiflight

Carrefull, as i said, sometimes, it seems ok from a far view, but when you are focus on it, you see the problem. It's part of the test i run when a new plane is add to the game. But some are not fixe at that time, and BF110 are one of the plane which could have the problem (it's not always the case, sometimes, it runs fine). ;)

Are you confident with the ME ? If yes, you understand that the point where the AI is park is not very large. If not, i'm going to try to explain with my english how it works.

There are 2 possibilities :

1- Planes take off from runway, land on runway and do not taxy.

2- Planes has to taxi to go to the runway, take off, land, and taxy to parking. In that case, the mission builder has to define the path that AI will follow. But we can define only one park for the begining and the end of the mission. The place of the parking is one point. At the begining of the mission, you can have several plane on the parking, but after they land, they will taxi to the ending point. So, you don't define a park place, but only a point that planes have to reach. It's like a waypoint. When they reach that point, they cut their engine and dissapear. So Ai will always go to that point on the parking, you have all the parking for you (to give you an image, imagine a car park with 10 slot. In the editor, i say that AI will always use the slot 10, so you have 9 slots to park your car). Keep in mind, that AI plane can take more or less space. It depends of the volume of the plane (fighter or bomber).

Edited by Habu

Had a small issue in the third mission.

The callsign does not seem to work right, the flight leader always said:

"This is ... Request Landing" 

So the word "Pelikan" was missing.

But the night flying was really challenging and fun. I am really happy that there are a few hand crafted 52 missions. 

That would be the 'airfield' MCU call-sign...I'll look at it.

That's at the end of the mission? Or the landing in the middle of the mission?

Yes indeed!! Flew the first 2 missions in VR and it was very immersive. You've done a very nice job on the mission design. I will definitely buy your campaigns to support this quality of work. :salute:

I just returned to flight sims a few days ago (thank you VR) and as a Ju52 junkie these were the first player made missions I have ever played in IL2.  I played the first two missions and I have to tell you that it was the best flight sim experience I have ever had.

Flying to the front and dropping the cargo in the second mission was epic.  I cannot wait to play the next missions tonight.

Thank you for making these.

Thank you very much for the feedback guys - it helps more than you might think.

So in the third mission I landed, parked next to the commander, and couldn't get the mission to progress. Does anyone know what the trick is?

Gambit, can I PayPal you some money to contribute to your efforts?

That would be the 'airfield' MCU call-sign...I'll look at it.

That's at the end of the mission? Or the landing in the middle of the mission?

No, I think it was the Call Sign of my Flight (Pelican).

And it was missing in the whole mission. Also in Mission 5 it was missing. 

No, I think it was the Call Sign of my Flight (Pelican).

And it was missing in the whole mission. Also in Mission 5 it was missing. 

Ahh...misread the first time...thank you.

So in the third mission I landed, parked next to the commander, and couldn't get the mission to progress. Does anyone know what the trick is?

Gambit, can I PayPal you some money to contribute to your efforts?

Follow the instructions :)

If your'e pulling up directly next to him, you're in the wrong spot and might have missed the trigger zone.

Let me know of the problem persists.